Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

I long had suspected it would be necessary, and it's not really a real problem... But my Kerbal Instrument Panel that I'm building... I test fitted a few components and came to realize that I will 100% need a "pan" underneath the unit. Basically, some parts are simply gonna stick out the bottom, so I gotta cut a hole in the bottom plate and screw a pan onto the the panel to cover up the hole. It just means it won't be symmetrical, or sit flat when not mounted into my desk. In all likelihood, given the fact that such an item will already have a "pan shape" with no sharp corners, I will likely find some literal old cooking pan at a thrift shop or a garage sale and screw it onto the bottom to serve as my pan... Part found lying by the side of the road... :cool:

Also, my Windows tablet refuses to update. It's infuriating! :mad:

23 hours ago, Claas2008 said:

i have a headache from too long gaming

Water and rest

Shame that it's easier to talk about negative stuff than positive

Edited by Guest

Our queen has shut the state down again. All "nonessential" businesses are closed. The Pilates place my wife goes to is closed—not allowed to have 1 on 1 lessons, with both people masked, because that is BAD. If it saves a single life of someone bound to die in the next few months of literally anything anyway, it's worth destroying that business...

Meanwhile, drove past some trucks in this neck of the woods earlier. Big white trucks with air conditioners and steps... giant RV like things. Dozens of other cars at a house. OH, it was "essential business" working hard! However many people are in an entire film crew, shooting inside a location house, crew likely in masks, zero of the actors, obviously. Totally safe, no nursing home patients will possibly be at risk! That's impossible, because these people are from Hollywood. Getting millions in state handouts, and essential. My wife's Pilates instructor with 4 kids can just eat Ramen and miss her mortgage payments "for the team."

10 hours ago, tater said:

Our queen has shut the state down again. All "nonessential" businesses are closed. The Pilates place my wife goes to is closed—not allowed to have 1 on 1 lessons, with both people masked, because that is BAD. If it saves a single life of someone bound to die in the next few months of literally anything anyway, it's worth destroying that business...

Meanwhile, drove past some trucks in this neck of the woods earlier. Big white trucks with air conditioners and steps... giant RV like things. Dozens of other cars at a house. OH, it was "essential business" working hard! However many people are in an entire film crew, shooting inside a location house, crew likely in masks, zero of the actors, obviously. Totally safe, no nursing home patients will possibly be at risk! That's impossible, because these people are from Hollywood. Getting millions in state handouts, and essential. My wife's Pilates instructor with 4 kids can just eat Ramen and miss her mortgage payments "for the team."

All crowdings are equal, but some crowdings are more equal than others

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, tater said:

Meanwhile, governors are on their way to Florida, or just doing whatever they damn well please right at home. It's amazing how selective this virus is, how it displays such cunning intelligence in the gatherings it infects....

I think everyone, particularly those in charge, and those too self absorbed to put in any effort do their part and think about others, may have forgotten (or never even understood) what "flatten the curve" meant. Sadly, I see people like my brother digging his heels in on not believing there's any problem at all, and on the other end of the spectrum, people wanting to freeze the world in it's tracks. Neither is reasonable, nor sustainable.

Flattening the curve was never intended to stop Covid, nor was it going to protect everyone. Most people are going to catch it at some point in time. How many of us avoid the flu, or the common cold? You will catch Covid. I will catch Covid. This is an inevitability. Flattening the curve was always meant as an effort to reduce how many of us all catch it at the same time, to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. Back then, we didn't have a good understanding of it's dangers, we didn't have a good grasp on the percentages yet, and there was most decidedly a shortage of PPE. In March, April, and May, we were uncertain.

Today, we have a much better understanding of the underlying mechanisms by which Covid infects a person. We understand the cardiovascular nature of the disease. We understand that a significant majority of people will have minor symptoms. We understand that it is most dangerous to those who have already compromised immune, respiratory, or cardiovascular systems. We no longer have a serious PPE shortage like we did at the start of this, and the majority of people are using PPE in public places, as well as practicing better hygiene (THIS... It can not be stressed enough, that good hygiene is critical in slowing this!)... and of course, there have been very recent vaccine developments.

All those factors combined are more than enough reason to not cripple the economy any further. The best thing to do would be to double down on good hygiene and use of PPE in public spaces. Practice the whole social distancing thing, You know, common sense, and a basic level of due diligence. That's enough to keep things reasonably in check.

Now if only portions of the population would stop being unreasonable... Like my brother...

On another note, I recently experienced an "aura" for the first time in my life. I didn't get the debilitating headache like a buddy of mine does when he gets a migraine. I seemed to have skipped all that. I did experience what he called "postdrome" though... a minor tension headache, focused in my neck, combined with a general feeling of mental fatigue, and "jello body", as I called it. It was not pleasant, and laying down made it less pleasant. I didn't sleep at all the following night. This led to a series of insomniac episodes that usually stemmed from finally crashing in the afternoon, then finding myself unable to sleep when I actually wanted to go to bed. This has actually been going on for nearly a week, and it sucks. I just wanna sleep at normal times! It's aggravating, and a miserable state to be in. I want to get things done, but find myself without the energy to do them. I got a few hours sleep in the mid afternoon yesterday, but failed to get any sleep last night. I am intent on fixing this, so I'm going out to run some errands, and I'm gonna try and cut a few metal bits and bobs for my Kerbal Instrument panel, and then I'm gonna try and get to bed, maybe around 10pm... Earlier than my normal times, but I need to adjust things anyway. I'm hoping this works out.

Edited by richfiles

6 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Sadly, I see people like my brother digging his heels in on not believing there's any problem at all, and on the other end of the spectrum, people wanting to freeze the world in it's tracks. Neither is reasonable, nor sustainable.

Sure it isn't sustainable, but how are you going to convince people, on a large, effective scale, to minimize contacts and perform social distancing if it isn't for at least partial lockdowns and (severe?) restrictions?

Not saying humans are too dumb to live otherwise, but... some of us aren't necessarily bright...

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

I think everyone, particularly those in charge, and those too self absorbed to put in any effort do their part and think about others, may have forgotten (or never even understood) what "flatten the curve" meant. Sadly, I see people like my brother digging his heels in on not believing there's any problem at all, and on the other end of the spectrum, people wanting to freeze the world in it's tracks. Neither is reasonable, nor sustainable.

Flattening the curve was never intended to stop Covid, nor was it going to protect everyone. Most people are going to catch it at some point in time. How many of us avoid the flu, or the common cold? You will catch Covid. I will catch Covid. This is an inevitability. Flattening the curve was always meant as an effort to reduce how many of us all catch it at the same time, to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. Back then, we didn't have a good understanding of it's dangers, we didn't have a good grasp on the percentages yet, and there was most decidedly a shortage of PPE. In March, April, and May, we were uncertain.

Today, we have a much better understanding of the underlying mechanisms by which Covid infects a person. We understand the cardiovascular nature of the disease. We understand that a significant majority of people will have minor symptoms. We understand that it is most dangerous to those who have already compromised immune, respiratory, or cardiovascular systems. We no longer have a serious PPE shortage like we did at the start of this, and the majority of people are using PPE in public places, as well as practicing better hygiene (THIS... It can not be stressed enough, that good hygiene is critical in slowing this!)... and of course, there have been very recent vaccine developments.

All those factors combined are more than enough reason to not cripple the economy any further. The best thing to do would be to double down on good hygiene and use of PPE in public spaces. Practice the whole social distancing thing, You know, common sense, and a basic level of due diligence. That's enough to keep things reasonably in check.

Now if only portions of the population would stop being unreasonable... Like my brother...

I think what drives me crazy the most is when people say things like, "When the COVID thing is over we're going to...." I think that's part of what's driving all of this madness. The COVID thing is never going to be "over". Any more than the flu thing is over, or the common cold thing is over. It's part of the ecosystem now. The vaccines will make things better, but it isn't going to just vanish. So if we're going to be locking down, wearing masks, bleaching our Amazon boxes, etc, until COVID is "over", well, welcome to your new forever.

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

On another note, I recently experienced an "aura" for the first time in my life. I didn't get the debilitating headache like a buddy of mine does when he gets a migraine. I seemed to have skipped all that. I did experience what he called "postdrome" though... a minor tension headache, focused in my neck, combined with a general feeling of mental fatigue, and "jello body", as I called it. It was not pleasant, and laying down made it less pleasant. I didn't sleep at all the following night. This led to a series of insomniac episodes that usually stemmed from finally crashing in the afternoon, then finding myself unable to sleep when I actually wanted to go to bed. This has actually been going on for nearly a week, and it sucks. I just wanna sleep at normal times! It's aggravating, and a miserable state to be in. I want to get things done, but find myself without the energy to do them. I got a few hours sleep in the mid afternoon yesterday, but failed to get any sleep last night. I am intent on fixing this, so I'm going out to run some errands, and I'm gonna try and cut a few metal bits and bobs for my Kerbal Instrument panel, and then I'm gonna try and get to bed, maybe around 10pm... Earlier than my normal times, but I need to adjust things anyway. I'm hoping this works out.

Welcome to the club. I don't get any headache at all with mine, but I do get really nasty nausea right before it starts. Go to your doctor, ask for topiramate. It didn't make mine go away completely, but it cut down the incidence a lot.

27 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

"When the COVID thing is over we're going to...." I think that's part of what's driving all of this madness. The COVID thing is never going to be "over". Any more than the flu thing is over, or the common cold thing is over. It's part of the ecosystem now.

H1N1 is still around. Yersinia pestis is still around. Yet they play very little role today, in spite of massive and disastrous outbreaks in the past involving these pathogens. So while it may never be 100% over, there is a chance it could be "de facto" over at some point in the future. I mean, at less than 1 year as of know, COVID-19 would be an extremely short pandemic, these things take years to solve.

Edited by Delay

Part of "over" is the general population gaining herd immunity, either through having caught the bug, or having taken the vaccine. It'll still exist, and it'll still keep mutating into novel ways to give us the coof, but as the general population starts carrying the antibodies, it'd be harder for it to spread unchecked, and it'll be thwarted by people who have immunity, or at least a partial immunity, who shouldn't be as affected. It's a matter of time really. Over isn't really "over"... It's just getting over the uncontrolled, rampant spread through a population with absolutely no resistance.

The total US CFR (deaths over detected infections) is 2.17%. That is a pretty meaningless number as the denominator is a mesure of nothing more than testing.

The CDC, which estimates flu every year none the less has an estimate of many factors surrounding COVID-19 infection (a series of them about specifics of COVID infection for different age brackets, infectious period, serial interval, etc). All their planning scenarios use the same factor for the ACTUAL number of infections. They multiply the number of positive tests by 11 as their best estimate (the possible range is 6X to 24X on their page).

2.17%/11= 0.198% That's just shy of 2X seasonal flu (the range is then 0.36% to 0.09%)

Here in NM, the total CFR is 1.4%, with an implied IFR of 0.127% (0.23% to 0.06%). Under 60 in NM the CFR is 0.3%, with an implied IFR of 0.027% (0.05% to 0.0125%). The under 60 IFR are entirely unconcerning (and most of those deaths will be the severely compromised).

Ie: Notice COVID-19 is a thing. Decide to wash your hands more, cough into your elbow, and be nice and don't go in to work sick (as any decent person would do every year).

People over 60 are at more risk, but none the less not too dissimilar from seasonal flu.

How do you kill 100s of thousands of people with something only mildly more lethal than flu? Infect a lot more people than flu does (flu burns out at ~20% of the pop annually).

Edited by tater

The second wave - or for the US: Wave 1,  Act III - has been surprisingly low in deaths as the CFRs decreased from 3-5% to roughly the figures you provided. Maybe the pandemic was brought more under more control after all? It indicates that especially those at risk of dying from COVID are better protected. Either that or SARS-CoV-2 decided to take the H1N1 route of killing less in exchange for spreading even faster.

And just as there are undetected infections, there may also be undetected deaths. Mostly from those who don't/didn't think the virus existed - you cannot expect these people to even get diagnosed.

Today was an auspiscious day. My cousin sister got engaged to a guy, the guy belongs to a rich family and I was invited. So, a huge feast happens on engagement day usually and since I love eating (not binge eating, just trying different foods) I had fasted for a day before the engagement. :D
So here I was, at the hotel where the engagement ceremony was being organized. The groom's family had spared no expenses. I congratulated the bride and the groom and their families and socialized a bit.

The food was served buffet style, and I headed to the Buffet spot after a while. However I bumped into the groom's brother. He had heard about me, and started commenting on my cheapS blazer, my unemployment and the like. He was inebriated, so he was very loud. I responded in kind, mocking his excessive bling, and he took that personally. Soon I found myself shunned by the other guests, even my cousin's family, even my grandma for 'angering the family members of the groom'. It felt bad, man..  :(I decided I had enough and dumped my untouched food and blazer in the trash and headed off to the kitchen area.

In traditional Indian wedding ceremonies, food is always prepared in an open air kitchen, and wood is used as fuel for earthen stoves. I rolled up my sleeve and requested the guy who looked to be in charge if I could get some work. I would do it even if its for free.. He looked at me oddly but then told me to haul wood blocks from the storage area to the different stoves. I did as he asked. 5 hours later, when the festivities were dying out I was tasked to clear ash from the stoves. Took about 2 hours for me and four other guys to clean them all.

After it was over, I was given 500 Rs. (8 $, approx) for my troubles. All the guests had left, and sadly I could not find my blazer :( I went back home with an injured pride and hungry as heck.

You see, every family has that one member that they trash talk behind his/her back. If you think that your family is not like that then congratulations, YOU are that unlucky chap who is the butt of all jokes when you are not around.

Today I found out how much of a joke I was and how less I truly matter and how my family and relatives had no problems throwing me under the bus. Screw them. For them, I might be a running joke. But I am still RUNNING.:mad: And I am not going to stop till my hurt pride is satisfied.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:36 AM, Selective Genius said:

I went back home with an injured pride and hungry as heck.

Man, that's a tough day you had. I don't think you should take away a feeling of unworthiness though. You know the person that you are. I think a better lesson to take home is to not let pride rule you. A drunkardly snob's opinion shouldn't be the thing to take over your life. If anything, learn from this that it's best simply to not feed the trolls. People like that crave attention, and they crave the feeling of holding power or superiority over others. When you ignore them, you deny them the satisfaction they seek. They might try to turn the heat up a bit, to try to ruffle your feathers, but hold strong. If you want to have the satisfaction of pride... let yourself revel in the pride of not being phased by what is basically, a bully, and let them whimper off to go bother someone else when they become bored of your resolve. The moment you realize you can take far more satisfaction in frustrating the bully than trying to out argue them, you'll find you tend to come out better in situations like this one. It can be hard, but resist that first temptation to let pride lead you deeper into a bad situation, and instead, reward that pride with the satisfaction of simply denying your adversary any satisfaction. Beat them by boring them. I hope your situation settles down for you.

As for my own issues, I had some great ideas for different ways to do displays for my Kerbal Instrument Panel. I've got a bunch of these awesome smart LED displays that I salvaged from the video effects panel that I also salvaged my T-Bar fader (my throttle lever) and my DSKY buttons from. Thing is, these parts are all the smallest size character option, a measly 3.8mm tall character. When planning my ∆V meter, I realized I wanted a bigger display for the actual ∆V readout, and I could use the smaller display for the time readout. When I saw a surplus store selling a larger 5mm character version of these, I jumped at the sale and bought two pieces. Both size displays are green LED dot matrix displays with a built in decoder chip. All you do is send data to the display, what symbol you wanna show, and what position to put it in, and it handles controlling all the individual LEDs to create the symbol in the right spot. Anyway, I decided that I wanted some distinctiveness from the DSKY for my Velocity Readout, and for my Auxiliary Data Readout. Going with dot matrix displays instead of segment displays is definitely a nice option to differentiate them. I don't want the Velocity Meter or the Aux Readout to just look like a "DSKY MINY"... I want it to have a distinct look. 

So, regarding the two displays I actually bought... What I received was not the standard DLG 2416... I got a DLG 2416-20 Z... At least I'm assuming those extra symbols mean something relevant, cause they don't quite match up to what I expected to receive. I measured the size of the LED pixels with my caliper, and it's definitely 7mm, not the 5mm as described by the datasheet! 7mm displays on these smart LEDs are rare! For this style display, those are absolutely huge! Apparently, these are not a run of the mill DLG 2416! I also can't find ANY reference to a -20 Z part anywhere. Maybe these are mislabeled DLG 3416s, which are 7mm parts? Who knows.

Anyway, here's my negative thing... I only bought two... I needed 4 digits minimum for the ∆V meter, and hoped I could fit 6, even if it meant hiding a part of the display for the ∆V meter. That's all I bought it for, and so I only ever bought just the two pieces. Of course, this was a good long while ago, back in 2016. ;.;

Now I'm looking at my Velocity Readout and Auxiliary Data Readouts, wishing I'd have bought 6 or 8 more of these unusual large displays. The only 7mm character displays that I can actually find are $53 for an 8 digit unit, or $47 for a pair of 4 digit units! YIKES!!! I'd want either 3 or 4 of either the eight digit units or pairs of the 4 digit ones! (it would all depend on whether I have room for either two or three lines of displays for the Aux Data Readout). There's just absolutely no way I can justify that price though! Definitely not just to get an extra few mm worth of character height, or to stick with green LEDs. :0.0:

Here's the thing... I already have displays that would work perfectly fine, as is... Only smaller, and some less green. I already have three 5mm yellow 8 digit smart LED displays, and I've had 'em for so long, I can't even remember where I even got 'em! I could maybe justify going with the 5mm yellow for the data readouts, and the 3.8mm green for unit readout. The dual color setup might be interesting enough to make up for it not being all done in the Kerbal color... I did find some slightly larger than 7mm (almost 8mm) single digit displays that would be great for the Velocity Readout, but they are not smart displays. It'd cost $22 in single digit LED parts, and then $35 in control chips... even not counting having circuit boards made. Ultimately, it ends up being more expensive than the already simple 8 digit smart LED solution... Which is itself spendy... :/

I'm just frustrated that I accidentally stumbled on an absolute gem four years ago, and only bought two of 'em... I could have got more back then, when they were readily available, but they are gone now... Not even an ebay completed listings search shows any of the relevant 7mm part numbers, much less the current sales. Even if I had just ONE more, I could settle on only the Velocity Readout and ∆V meters having the 7mm green displays, and then just use the yellow 5mm displays on the Aux Data Readout. As it is, I'm stuck with new part prices... Even with that particular compromise, I'd still have to buy at least one. $24 isn't actually a bad a price at all, when it's just the one piece... But let's be real... It's not one piece that I really want... It's seven of them... Getting just the one is simply me settling on the compromise solution.

Edited by richfiles

so the expanse will end with season 6. we get 2 more seasons but thats it, and no alex for season 6. i guess he just couldn't keep his pants on, that or its another cancel culture injustice.

another casualty in the ongoing march towards oblivion. 

Edited by Nuke

On 11/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, richfiles said:

Man, that's a tough day you had.

I have no issues with what that drunkard said. People talk krap about me all the time, I really don't care. What got me upset was the fact that my family and relatives shunned me at the drop of a hat for angering that guy. They took the side of a drunkard over me and did not have the courage or did not care enough for me to stand up for me.

The marriage ceremony is on the 11th of December, and I have been invited. I will go, of course. It is my sister's marriage, missing it is not an option. But after wishing her a happy future I will walk to the kitchen and do whatever the caterer want me to do, even if it's cleaning the dirty dishes. Again, I will not have a single morsel of food that they offer me, I will buy some biscuits with what I earn from my time in the kitchen.

I H8 the Java (language) and everything related.
I H8, H8, H8 it.
Almost as much as I h8 linux....es. Yeah, linuxes are multiple, like personalities in the head of a maniac with axe.

But Java is definitely the worst from both these infernal worlds, Java and Linuxes.

A senseless mess of unhuman schizophasia in every line, a thousand of files with repeating declarations for anything beyond a helloworld.
A studio where instead of a trivial "File/Project Settings" you have to "(project tree) - "app" - right-click - "Show Module Settings", just to see again that the modern version of the IDE has no at all items similar to the two-versions older one because the third-party API authors (a well-known company, not a freelancer) got too exhausted to update it every IDE change and just are leaving it as is was, while the IDE developers are getting off their individuality.

Thousands of these useless "com.blahblablah.mycompany" in every place where you can't even imagine you need something related to internet.

XML, the ugliest XML, may its authors get everything to read in XML format.
JSON, blessed JSON, how nice and perfect you are compared to this ugly thing!

May everyone (not competing with me) code in qml/C++/JavaScript and be happy and enjoy them!
May Java (language) disappear like a cloud of smelly vapor!

P.S.
Also s(team of a ship, ends with -ew) the PHP when you can, use Node.js instead.
PHP is infested. PHP is GPL. Not that I worry about it, but Node.js also interacts with your JavaScript more smoothly.

P.P.S.
Java (language) is a piece of post-food, did I already tell this?

Upd.
Begone, dirty Java (language)! Forget the way to this world!

Edited by kerbiloid

I failed to take the added friction of adding the tape and it's 5 plastic rollers into account, nor properly estimated the added friction of flexing taught belts, and I realize I reallty should have ordered a gear motor with a much higher gear ratio, and more torque, for my Kerbal Instrument Panel's Radar Altimeter Tape Meter. It spins pretty fast at full voltage, but it stalls on lower voltages. It's okay though... the solution is to just get a motor with a more appropriate gear ratio. The existing motor spins at 280 RPM at 6 volts... I'm debating whether to go with the 130 RPM or the 70 RPM. The 130 still allows a very rapid reset, but I'm concerned it won't have sufficient low end speed at lower voltages. The 70 RPM will have tons of torque, but a much lower top speed... Honestly, I'm erring toward the 70 RPM... Any vessel that comes into the atmosphere at a speed that requires more than 5.1 seconds to go from 10000 km to 0 km... Just... isn't. Not for the full duration of those seconds anyway... Poof!

Anyway, the motors are cheap. $5.22 + $5.79 shipping... I just have to deal with Chinese shipping again, and that's a nightmare and a half that I'd rather skip. Sadly, I can't find the motor stocked in the US, so shipping delays, here I come!

On a positive note, I see no reason the old 280 RPM motor can't be used with the ∆V Carriage Meter

You could use steppers. They can spin arbitrarily slowly and 300 RPM on the high end should be no problem. They also have more torque at lower speeds.

My complaint is that it was only today that I learned about the existence of atomic chess. It's just like regular chess, but every time you take the opponents piece, your piece is lost too. Additionally the opponents piece blows up every non pawn piece in a 3x3 square. It's rather chaotic and games can end rather abruptly.

I played a few games on lichess today and it's amazing. The opponent keeps the pressure and is one move from mating me, but one slip and the tables turn. It's no longer a game of tactics and strategy, it's a game of trickery and insane sacrifices.