Are Kerbals satisfied with sub zero temperatures?

Serenity

I tried to search but i couldnt find much info on this.

I activated the Internal Temp GUI from the cheat menu and i saw that most of my Kerbals live in way below zero temperatures.

Are they ok with it?Is Internal Temp not the temperature they have inside the modules?

I wonder if there is some sort of explanation, for now i just imagine they have a build in system to live in more normal temperatures.

KSP's thermal system isn't much, and what does exist for it is already poorly done. Mods that feature nuclear reactors are vulnerable to the high-timewarp heat bug, one or more other heat bugs exist, and any gameplay revolving around thermals only ever involves things overheating. There's no functionality at all that revolves around things being overcooled, and some seasoned players and mod makers would like this to be a thing.

The explanation I can give is that KSP always was a simplified physics sim (it even started out as a 2D game, so I heard), so not everything you expect that applies IRL can or will be featured in KSP (which is why RSS and RO will never become stock) and so that the game isn't that much more difficult to get into playing, for the great majority of people who won't have prior understanding of physics and aerospace.

I'd like for gameplay elements to exist and be exploitable for things that are "too cold" but I'm better off keeping that dream to myself. :P 

50 minutes ago, bewing said:

Do you mean with their helmets off, or do you mean in a full EVA pressure suit? The pressure suit has enough heaters in it to keep the kebals comfy indefinitely.

When they are inside crew modules, space stations, vessels etc.The internal temp of my Kerbin space station shows a whooping 200K, -76C or something close to that.

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

When they are inside crew modules, space stations, vessels etc.The internal temp of my Kerbin space station shows a whooping 200K, -76C or something close to that.

Nah. Nothing in the interior of a vessel is ever calculated.

I have named a landing strip at 6,600 km on Mt Keverest "Podmin Escarpment" after Podmin Kerman who died close to that spot a few days earlier.

I left him at altitude with his helmet off overnight while I martialed a rescue mission.  When that mission landed and approached Podmin, once in physics range, his head went pouf! in a cloud of greasy black smoke and all we found of him was his axe.

KSP said it was too cold for him without his helmet.  Yet it's possible to walk around at that altitude for a while without helmets.  It seemed like KSP was factoring in the length of the exposure.  (Perhaps I'm giving it too much credit.)

14 hours ago, bewing said:

Nah. Nothing in the interior of a vessel is ever calculated.

Hmm but sometimes when temperature rises a lot and you EVA after landing etc, sometimes the Kerbal is already red and has the temperature gauge.

Is that because he touches the outside of the craft or he is already HOT inside the craft from the re entry?

Edited by Boyster

Meeeehhhhh KSP doesn't really have a temperature system, just a prop for the thermometers and a simple one for reentry

Reentry I'm not sure of, but pretty sure it goes like this:

Moving fast? Temp go up-explode part with too small heat tolerance. Moving slow? Heat go down, mach effects appear and disappear.

5 hours ago, Boyster said:

Hmm but sometimes when temperature rises a lot and you EVA after landing etc, sometimes the Kerbal is already red and has the temperature gauge.

Is that because he touches the outside of the craft or he is already HOT inside the craft from the re entry?

Never seen that happen - likely the latter, Kerbals in craft are likely not parts like they are outside.

Fun fact: Kerbals are parts! Just with a lot of parameters missing - look it up, they're in the parts folder!

5 hours ago, Boyster said:

During the EVA process, as they are climbing out of the hatch, their suit gets heated to the "interior" temperature of the capsule. But the heat tolerance of a suit is much lower than the heat tolerance of a capsule -- so they can get a red temperature gauge even though the capsule is not red. But it's the interior temp, not the skin temp of the capsule that does it.

37 minutes ago, bewing said:

During the EVA process, as they are climbing out of the hatch, their suit gets heated to the "interior" temperature of the capsule. But the heat tolerance of a suit is much lower than the heat tolerance of a capsule -- so they can get a red temperature gauge even though the capsule is not red. But it's the interior temp, not the skin temp of the capsule that does it.

Ok that makes sense.I am just trying to build somewhat a fantastic set of rules that the Kerbal universe follows without going very far away from our world :D .

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Fun fact: Kerbals are parts! Just with a lot of parameters missing - look it up, they're in the parts folder!

:huh::antinormal:

I think the thermal system has a bit more depth than it's being given credit for here. If you ever look in that tab of KER there's a lot of factors involved, things like thermal flux, critical skin and internal temperatures, emissivity etc. It's probably just not actually calculating proper values in places where it's not needed, such as kerbals inside a pod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.