Ain't Played Since 1.4... Um....?

Geschosskopf

So....  I've gone off to playing Planet Coaster the last while, like since KSP 1.4 or perhaps a bit earlier.  In a forum related to PC, I tell the stories of building my horrific "amusement" (if your name is Saw) parks as if I'm sitting in staff meetings with my 3 department heads, who happen to be Kerbals named Jaysef, Gergas, and Orbles.  Most PC folks just accept this as a sign of my madness and don't comment on it, but recently somebody asked about the backstory of these Kerbals.  So I pointed her to the appropriate thread here, which made me reread it (and wince at all the horrible typos) myself.  Which got me wondering where I'd left my last story, so I had to reread that.  And that got me wondering where KSP had gotten to since then, and I noticed this "Breaking Wind Ground" DLC was coming out today, so I started mucking about with KSP again a couple days ago.

Wow, have times changed.  Now we basically have KER, Precise Node (FINALLY!  THANK THE KRAKEN!), Space-Y, whatever that Russian mod was, and today kinda IR with room to grow on, all as stock.  But otherwise I'm kinda lost.  MMMJRCS Balancer?  SCANsat?  DM Orbital Science?  The various fuel-switches and other enabling mods like Firespitter?  Whither art thou?  I see WBI, thankfully, is still going strong but USI seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, it's good to see some familiar faces still about and I'm glad to see some new blood in here since I last paid attention.  So belly up to the bar, lads and lassies, and let's do monoprop shots!  This round's on me and another for whoever can set me on the path of righteousness in today's KSP :)

29 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

But otherwise I'm kinda lost.  MMMJRCS Balancer?  SCANsat?  DM Orbital Science?  The various fuel-switches and other enabling mods like Firespitter?  Whither art thou?  I see WBI, thankfully, is still going strong but USI seems to have disappeared.

Most of those are up-to-date or close enough that they still worked as of 1.7.  I haven't gotten the DLC yet to see if that breaks anything.  Most of the USI stuff is updated to 1.6.x and I haven't encountered any issues in 1.7.  Here is a link to USI's github:

https://umbraspaceindustries.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

I suspect several of the others were just waiting for the DLC to come out - it was announced fairly soon after 1.7 was released.   My guess would be a lot of mod authors decided to wait rather than push out an update just to have to redo everything a month later.

44 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

So....  I've gone off to playing Planet Coaster the last while, like since KSP 1.4 or perhaps a bit earlier.  In a forum related to PC, I tell the stories of building my horrific "amusement" (if your name is Saw) parks as if I'm sitting in staff meetings with my 3 department heads, who happen to be Kerbals named Jaysef, Gergas, and Orbles.  Most PC folks just accept this as a sign of my madness and don't comment on it, but recently somebody asked about the backstory of these Kerbals.  So I pointed her to the appropriate thread here, which made me reread it (and wince at all the horrible typos) myself.  Which got me wondering where I'd left my last story, so I had to reread that.  And that got me wondering where KSP had gotten to since then, and I noticed this "Breaking Wind Ground" DLC was coming out today, so I started mucking about with KSP again a couple days ago.

Wow, have times changed.  Now we basically have KER, Precise Node (FINALLY!  THANK THE KRAKEN!), Space-Y, whatever that Russian mod was, and today kinda IR with room to grow on, all as stock.  But otherwise I'm kinda lost.  MMMJRCS Balancer?  SCANsat?  DM Orbital Science?  The various fuel-switches and other enabling mods like Firespitter?  Whither art thou?  I see WBI, thankfully, is still going strong but USI seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, it's good to see some familiar faces still about and I'm glad to see some new blood in here since I last paid attention.  So belly up to the bar, lads and lassies, and let's do monoprop shots!  This round's on me and another for whoever can set me on the path of righteousness in today's KSP :)

Oh my goodness, you are back! I really enjoyed your most recent travelling circus, the one with BARIS! Glad to see you back!

Yeah, mod support seems to be dropping off slightly and lagging behind a bit considering we have much more frequent updates. I myself have not played around with Breaking Ground yet, but I'm going to do that just now.

Welcome back to the forums!

6 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Most of those are up-to-date or close enough that they still worked as of 1.7.  I haven't gotten the DLC yet to see if that breaks anything.  Most of the USI stuff is updated to 1.6.x and I haven't encountered any issues in 1.7.  Here is a link to USI's github:

https://umbraspaceindustries.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

I suspect several of the others were just waiting for the DLC to come out - it was announced fairly soon after 1.7 was released.   My guess would be a lot of mod authors decided to wait rather than push out an update just to have to redo everything a month later.

Thanks for the info.  Have a shot of monoprop with me!  :cool:

Most mods have been pretty stable across KSP updates post 1.4, so even if the version numbers are not current it may work fine.

Also if you can’t find an old favorite, just browse through Linuxgurugamer’s stuff on Spacedock. He’s got several dozen under his wings now.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Oh my goodness, you are back! I really enjoyed your most recent travelling circus, the one with BARIS! Glad to see you back!

Yeah, mod support seems to be dropping off slightly and lagging behind a bit considering we have much more frequent updates. I myself have not played around with Breaking Ground yet, but I'm going to do that just now.

Welcome back to the forums!

Thanks, Steve!  I've missed you, too ;).

Can't say I'm actually back with both feet in just as yet, but at least I'm dabbling a toe or 3 back in the KSP waters.  Which means keeping at least 1 each of our 3 eyes and ears periodically on this forum until I simply must dive in again.  "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in", and all that.  I see @Angel-125 has kept on updating my favorite mods (except maybe BARIS, however you want to take that ambiguous phrase) and has added UFOs but not, as far as I can see, "Project Sandcastle".  And I agree, if I was a modder, I'd have lost faith in continuity long since, like during the turmoil surrounding 1.0 and its various rapid-fire sequels or, if not at that point, then certainly after the switch to Unity 5, from which wheels and legs still haven't seemed to have recovered.

Anyway, have a shot of monoprop for your kind welcome and sage advice!

10 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Most mods have been pretty stable across KSP updates post 1.4, so even if the version numbers are not current it may work fine.

Also if you can’t find an old favorite, just browse through Linuxgurugamer’s stuff on Spacedock. He’s got several dozen under his wings now.

Thanks!  Have a shot of monoprop!  Good to know the important things so many rely on are still there.  And I offer yet another shout-out to @linuxgurugamer if he's still in business for keeping some of my all-time favorites going.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Thanks!  Have a shot of monoprop!  Good to know the important things so many rely on are still there.  And I offer yet another shout-out to @linuxgurugamer if he's still in business for keeping some of my all-time favorites going.

Still here and kicking.  Around 180 mods now

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

When 1.6 came out, there were very few mods which needed to be fixed for it.  Same goes for 1.7.

For my mods, I don't have time to go through 180+ threads and updating them.  At this point, just assume they will work, if they don't, post a message and it will get fixed.

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Hey dude! No great words of wisdom or sage advice to share here, just the usual greeting and such. Cheers!

Greetings, old friend!  Have a shot of monoprop!  I see your space program hasn't quite been forgotten yet, which is good as I've got a lot of catching up to do in that thread ;)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Still here and kicking.  Around 180 mods now

When 1.6 came out, there were very few mods which needed to be fixed for it.  Same goes for 1.7.

For my mods, I don't have time to go through 180+ threads and updating them.  At this point, just assume they will work, if they don't, post a message and it will get fixed.

And 180+ shots of monoprop for you, Supreme Being, without whom we'd be naught but grubworms.  I feel the Kraken's grip on Kerbin loosening as you speak.  But it would be nice if you updated your mod update page once in a while as from the lack thereof I had until now thought you'd reached your saturation point some time ago.

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Greetings, old friend!  Have a shot of monoprop!  I see your space program hasn't quite been forgotten yet, which is good as I've got a lot of catching up to do in that thread ;)

And 180+ shots of monoprop for you, Supreme Being, without whom we'd be naught but grubworms.  I feel the Kraken's grip on Kerbin loosening as you speak.  But it would be nice if you updated your mod update page once in a while as from the lack thereof I had until now thought you'd reached your saturation point some time ago.

Which one?  

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which one?  

Geez, I dunno.  I have several links to different links of your lists of mod update status but they all seem obsolete.  Do you maintain such a page these days?  If so, what's the link for it?  Thanks.

Geez, I dunno.  I have several links to different links of your lists of mod update status but they all seem obsolete.  Do you maintain such a page these days?  If so, what's the link for it?  Thanks.

the main one is my spreadsheet, but I'll admit it's a little out of date, I'm working on getting it updated:

https://goo.gl/KxlgIC

Good to hear from you @Geschosskopf! Yup Wild Blue is still alive and kicking. MOLE, DSEV, Heisenberg are all feature complete, Buffalo is too (but might receive an addition or two with new DLC), Pathfinder has its 12.5m Castillo parts now and the Sandcastle 3D printer is slowly coming together. I’m almost done rewriting Snacks too (multithreaded simulations anyone?) and the mothership is finally WIP.

BARIS is.. poking along but I’ve mostly lost interest after all the complaints that the part failure mod is causing parts to fail. Beyond that not much else, I am aiming to finish my current projects by end of year. Ok maybe a couple of fashionable parts to make station arms from but they’ll come from an existing arm that I made for Kerbal Actuators.

Not as much modding time since I moved so have to be realistic about what I can do these days. 

Edited by Angel-125

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I see your space program hasn't quite been forgotten yet,

Nope, not yet forgotten, though it did take a six-nine month or so hiatus as I was super-frustrated with a few specific KSP and/or/maybe/maybe-not mod-induced bugs.  Back at it now, though the last few "posts" are for things I did in March of 2018. Should be into the new stuff sometime by mid July, I think. 

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

BARIS is.. poking along but I’ve mostly lost interest after all the complaints that the part failure mod is causing parts to fail. 

Funny how that works. FWIW I liked BARIS, I just didn't (and still don't) have time to play through the one BARIS install I have set up. Contemplating a bit of a move myself, so who knows what kind of free time my own future holds. 

25 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Good to hear from you @Geschosskopf! Yup Wild Blue is still alive and kicking. MOLE, DSEV, Heisenberg are all feature complete, Buffalo is too (but might receive an addition or two with new DLC), Pathfinder has its 12.5m Castillo parts now and the Sandcastle 3D printer is slowly coming together. I’m almost done rewriting Snacks too (multithreaded simulations anyone?) and the mothership is finally WIP.

BARIS is.. poking along but I’ve mostly lost interest after all the complaints that the part failure mod is causing parts to fail. Beyond that not much else, I am aiming to finish my current projects by end of year.

Not as much modding time since I moved so have to be realistic about what I can do these days. Ok maybe a couple of fashionable parts to make station arms from but they’ll come from an existing arm that I made for Kerbal Actuators.

Howdy Angel, have a shot of monoprop!  Glad to hear Sandcastle is still at least on the drawing board :).  I look forward to giving the flying saucers a go here shortly, too.

I can imagine the new BG making both opportunities and problems for your mods.  For instance...

• Buffalo trailer hitch could benefit from being able to pivot as an unpowered but lockable hinge.
  • Possible conflicts between KIS and the new stock inventory system maybe impacting Pathfinder base-building, or perhaps you might want to use the stock system now instead of KIS/KAS.

Anyway, lots of work.

I rather enjoy BARIS and hope you continue with it.  I honestly can't understand folks complaining about it, especially when you can nerf it down to an occasional minor nuisance with the settings.  You don't HAVE to let it kill as many Kerbals as I do :)

I can imagine the new BG making both opportunities and problems for your mods.  For instance...

• Buffalo trailer hitch could benefit from being able to pivot as an unpowered but lockable hinge.
  • Possible conflicts between KIS and the new stock inventory system maybe impacting Pathfinder base-building, or perhaps you might want to use the stock system now instead of KIS/KAS.

Anyway, lots of work.

I rather enjoy BARIS and hope you continue with it.

It would take a redesigned trailer hitch but that’s on my drawing board along with a possible big rig styled swivel and docking port.

As for KIS, no changes needed at present, at least until KIS 2.0. 

I’m on the fence about BARIS but I am using it in my game as incentive to replace old vessels. There were a few bug fixes since KSP 1.4..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.