[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

@suiyu111 i have this problem too.  

Problem with mods: "Kerbalism" and "RemoteTech".
At the moment of data transfer of a scientific experiment, the connection is lost.
If the data is not transmitted over the radio channel, then the connection is working, the probe is controlled.

Game version: 1.12.5
Kerbalism 3.17 for KSP 1.8.x to 1.12.x
RemoteTech 1.9.12 Recompiled for KSP 1.12.1

The github.com website states that Kerbalism supports RemoteTech. (https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/Home-~-Mod-Support)

image.jpg

But at the start of the game there is a compatibility warning.

screenshot38.png

Installed mods:

game-data.jpg

video of the problem

i have already seen this question on the github: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/823

4 hours ago, KipFan said:

@suiyu111 i have this problem too.  

Problem with mods: "Kerbalism" and "RemoteTech".
At the moment of data transfer of a scientific experiment, the connection is lost.
If the data is not transmitted over the radio channel, then the connection is working, the probe is controlled.

Game version: 1.12.5
Kerbalism 3.17 for KSP 1.8.x to 1.12.x
RemoteTech 1.9.12 Recompiled for KSP 1.12.1

The github.com website states that Kerbalism supports RemoteTech. (https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/Home-~-Mod-Support)

image.jpg

But at the start of the game there is a compatibility warning.

screenshot38.png

Installed mods:

game-data.jpg

video of the problem

i have already seen this question on the github: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/823

Yep, check my side, same mod version with yours.

I have deleted Kerbalism as I like latency in RemoteTech.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:54 AM, suiyu111 said:

Is Kerbalism totally incompatible with RemoteTech? Once I click any science button, the probe will be disconnected.

I have a variation of this problem: all of my DSN connections don't work. I've tried all the obvious things, and at first I thought it was a problem with Kerbalism 3.14 that 3.17 would fix,  but it hasn't.

Here's a screen shot - as you can see, the DSN connections appear to be up and running, but all the probes and craft are uncontrollable (including in flight).

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095446214/screenshots/

Any help or advice anyone can give would be great. 

Edited by gnusjunkie

On 5/13/2023 at 7:08 PM, gnusjunkie said:

I have a variation of this problem: all of my DSN connections don't work. I've tried all the obvious things, and at first I thought it was a problem with Kerbalism 3.14 that 3.17 would fix,  but it hasn't.

Here's a screen shot - as you can see, the DSN connections appear to be up and running, but all the probes and craft are uncontrollable (including in flight).

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095446214/screenshots/

Any help or advice anyone can give would be great. 

I don't play Kerbalism anymore, hope other guys can help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i don't know why my devices are doing experiments that i've already done. This leads to fill all my storage with experiment that doesn't give science at all.

Also another problem is that i can't get high speed (using 4x 3rd mod antena which give 90kb/s, each one, and i can't pass 20kb/s, they're working in same freq so they should combine). So it's very hard to start a science career mode cause you fill storage easily, it transmits very slow.

Any help?

24 minutes ago, NaviG said:

Hello, i don't know why my devices are doing experiments that i've already done. This leads to fill all my storage with experiment that doesn't give science at all.

Also another problem is that i can't get high speed (using 4x 3rd mod antena which give 90kb/s, each one, and i can't pass 20kb/s, they're working in same freq so they should combine). So it's very hard to start a science career mode cause you fill storage easily, it transmits very slow.

Any help?

when you have completed an experiment, it should not run the same experiment again. it never did for me.

as for data transmission, why you're in such a hurry? it took over 3 years for the new horizon probe to downlink all the data it gathered from the pluto encounter; if you have similar issues, it's the mod working as intended.

though if you "just started" a career, then early experiment generate only a few hundred kb of data, which can be downloaded in minutes. late experiments like gravioli readings take longer, but by then you have access to expanded memories and better transmitters

20 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

when you have completed an experiment, it should not run the same experiment again. it never did for me.

as for data transmission, why you're in such a hurry? it took over 3 years for the new horizon probe to downlink all the data it gathered from the pluto encounter; if you have similar issues, it's the mod working as intended.

though if you "just started" a career, then early experiment generate only a few hundred kb of data, which can be downloaded in minutes. late experiments like gravioli readings take longer, but by then you have access to expanded memories and better transmitters

I'm not hurry i'm just trying to get faster speed since im using many antennas, plus the problem that i'm getting double-experiments without science. It seems to I built a satellite constellation too far away, and the distance affects the speed too. That would be useful for muna missions but the last one was on Kerbin. So the data had to go very far and the return to Kerbin. Probably that is the problem. I tried to install the kerbal companion calculator, but it didn't recognize my antennas. Next step is build a closer communnication constellation. Probably in high orbit, arund 250km. The other was about 14.000km. I already have the geosync satellite perfectly matched with the KSC. If i get better speed I won't need more help, so in any case, thanks for the explanation! I'm using 4 HG-32 antenna, how many antenna does a real satellite need to work and whats the common distance? Just to know

I need those expanded memories , do you remember where are they in the tech tree? I'm playing with almost 200 mods and that it's huge tree, i spent like 20 minutes searching and didn't found them (hahaxd)

Edited by NaviG

2 hours ago, NaviG said:

I'm not hurry i'm just trying to get faster speed since im using many antennas, plus the problem that i'm getting double-experiments without science. It seems to I built a satellite constellation too far away, and the distance affects the speed too. That would be useful for muna missions but the last one was on Kerbin. So the data had to go very far and the return to Kerbin. Probably that is the problem. I tried to install the kerbal companion calculator, but it didn't recognize my antennas. Next step is build a closer communnication constellation. Probably in high orbit, arund 250km. The other was about 14.000km. I already have the geosync satellite perfectly matched with the KSC. If i get better speed I won't need more help, so in any case, thanks for the explanation! I'm using 4 HG-32 antenna, how many antenna does a real satellite need to work and whats the common distance? Just to know

I need those expanded memories , do you remember where are they in the tech tree? I'm playing with almost 200 mods and that it's huge tree, i spent like 20 minutes searching and didn't found them (hahaxd)

if you have 200 mods, perhaps there are issues. I am surprised your pc didn't explode already.

that said

- as a rule of thumb, the more you advance in the tech tree, the bigger the memories of the command modules and probe cores. however, modded stuff may not be recognized by kerbalism; in that case, it will get the lowest possible value, by default. this could be the source of your issues with memory

- antennas are bugged by themselves. Like, I had a mothership with 6 RA100 antennas on the mun, and it was transmitting like crap because there was also a smaller antenna, and it was limiting everything. I got better speeds from jool, where the smaller antennas weren't working. I never bothered with trying to solve antennas problems because transmission time is not too important.

So, antennas can have issues on their own. Add 200 other mods? no idea what could happen. I believe you should sacrifice a goat to the gods of information theory that the game starts at all, and count yourself very, very lucky that all your issues are easily solvable by some manual management (as in, just manually stop those redundant experiments).

In my last grand tour I recorded no less than 47 bugs and glitches, and I only had kerbalism, rss and a few minor others.

21 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

if you have 200 mods, perhaps there are issues. I am surprised your pc didn't explode already.

that said

- as a rule of thumb, the more you advance in the tech tree, the bigger the memories of the command modules and probe cores. however, modded stuff may not be recognized by kerbalism; in that case, it will get the lowest possible value, by default. this could be the source of your issues with memory

- antennas are bugged by themselves. Like, I had a mothership with 6 RA100 antennas on the mun, and it was transmitting like crap because there was also a smaller antenna, and it was limiting everything. I got better speeds from jool, where the smaller antennas weren't working. I never bothered with trying to solve antennas problems because transmission time is not too important.

So, antennas can have issues on their own. Add 200 other mods? no idea what could happen. I believe you should sacrifice a goat to the gods of information theory that the game starts at all, and count yourself very, very lucky that all your issues are easily solvable by some manual management (as in, just manually stop those redundant experiments).

In my last grand tour I recorded no less than 47 bugs and glitches, and I only had kerbalism, rss and a few minor others.

Yeah, not exploding but using ~28gb of ram with huge ships. (+250 parts)
My probes now have 128MB and i can put various hdd with 128mb too, but i'm geting many GB of data. Just to share my current tech tree:
image.png
I know. It's huge. But i don't have many problems. The game looks amazing. I have many hours to explore Kerbol. When i finish kerbol, i will installed another planet system. Yes, i'm lucky :D
image.png

Ok i've been doing some testing. It seems that my problem was the distance, but this was caused by my Commnet Constellation setup + low rate antenna. From there that mod, you can unselect antennas (so the commnet doesn't use them), so u can unselect the smaller antennas or put them in other operation freq. This was done, but the relay antennas were communiating with the farthest antenna, which was build for mun operations (not optimal).

In this test, im using 4xPilgrim Antenna from BDB mod. Max theoretical rate: 236.62 kB/s (946,48 kB/s total). when the vessel pass near de KSC, it connects automatically to it, giving a speed of 330kbs/s at 87km high

When the vessel is out of the KSC's POV, the data has to travel much distance and that affects the rate, giving 12,10kb/s, no matter if u have 100% signal. It was my fault.
image.png

I was misinterpreteding the signal with the rate. Now i understand that you need to build a better commnet constellations system, so any vessel closer to geosync orbit (which is about 2.863km aprox) would be nicer to stay in a direct connection with KSC (when possible) and the vessels that are farthest than 2.863, connect with the geosync-relay if they have direct connection. If not, build a constelation so it can keep sending data, even at lower speed. When building constellations, take in account that if the vessels are closer each other and more vessels in orbit, better, but it will cost more. I found that the mod "resonant orbit calculator" is very useful for this.

The idea is build a craft that can send the data at a rate that, when you go closer to KSC, all the data should be transmitted and that would allow more room to get science-data on next planet round, that would solve all the data-storage problems.

Apart from that, i still suffer to double-experiment, in concrete "multi spectral analysisis", "charged particle data" and "orbital telescope information" maybe its related on how those experiment works?  
image.png

Edited by NaviG

53 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Is there a way to turn down the radiation a little bit? I kind of don't want my creative vision for my space program limited by intense radiation, especially when it comes to the Jool system.

you can put max shielding in all parts, and increase shielding efficiency in the difficulty options. you put it to 100%, and radiations won't affect you at all. it will cost some extra mass, but it's reasonable.

@TwoCalories

If you plan to travel out of Kerbin orbit, you basically have to do 1 of 4 things (or mostly likely a combo).

1. Add shielding to crewable parts
  2. orient the habitable areas away from the radiation source (not sure how effective this is, but it seems to help)
  3. Have a RDU to treat radiation (essential for longer interplanetary missions and things like gas giants)
  4. Use active shielding parts. They can largely negate passive radiation

Edit - I read this early on and it was helpful - https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Environment

Edited by Nori

14 hours ago, Nori said:

orient the habitable areas away from the radiation source (not sure how effective this is, but it seems to help)

VERY effective.

even a small part, like a 2.5 m battery, on top of a crew cabin will completely negate solar storm radiations if the ship is properly oriented.

however, there are a few important caveats:

- if the ship has multiple crew modules (anything with a living space, including greenhouses), the game takes an average of all of them. it doesn't matter if you keep all your crew in a single compartment, and that is shielded. the game takes the average.

- unless you completely surround the crew pod with other stuff, you have to point the ship in the right direction to keep it shielded. if you leave the ship, it will just save the last orientation; but if you stay with it, it will slowly change over time, causing your crew to be irradiated again.

So, prepare yourself for a slow interplanetary trip where you have to stop and fix orientation (and possibly run repairs) every once in a while

- also, this only works for solar storms. It has no effect on radiation belts (for those, shielding is the only real option) and background level (that one can be covered by an active shield, or a RDU running full time).

- finally, importantly, this effect is bugged. at high time warp, the game does not register your ship as shielded even though it is. I noticed this behavior with my DREAM BIG ship, where at x1000 warp I was perfectly fine, but if I warped faster I would get radiations again. that time, I just slowed down at every storm, and took many hours for a duna-jool transfer. later, with longer missions, I just set shielding efficiency at 100% when taking interplanetary trips, making all radiation problems moot (since I always used max shielding). I brought shielding efficiency to the default level when approaching planets.

All in all, you may be better off just deactivating solar storms in the first place.

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

- finally, importantly, this effect is bugged. at high time warp, the game does not register your ship as shielded even though it is. I noticed this behavior with my DREAM BIG ship, where at x1000 warp I was perfectly fine, but if I warped faster I would get radiations again. that time, I just slowed down at every storm, and took many hours for a duna-jool transfer. later, with longer missions, I just set shielding efficiency at 100% when taking interplanetary trips, making all radiation problems moot (since I always used max shielding). I brought shielding efficiency to the default level when approaching planets.

Thank you for this info! I had some kerbals get 50% radiation and I couldn't figure out why. This has to be it..

4 minutes ago, Nori said:

Thank you for this info! I had some kerbals get 50% radiation and I couldn't figure out why. This has to be it..

Oh, one last bit; since a vessel you're not controlling is set in his solar orientation, the easiest way to travel a long time is to orient your vessel properly (recommended ways include waiting a solar storm and turning it around until radiation level becomes nominal), then go in the tracking station and time warp from there. If I recall correctly, this avoids the bug.

I ran four grand tours with kerbalism - two of which with expanded planetary packs - and I wrote extensive reports; they probably contain the most detailed informations on how to deal with kerbalism radiations - and other issues - available anywhere on the planet. I'd refer to those, unfortunately the information is scattered around descriptions of interplanetary transfers, tracking of life support resources, and sightseeing

On 6/4/2023 at 5:43 PM, Nori said:

@TwoCalories

If you plan to travel out of Kerbin orbit, you basically have to do 1 of 4 things (or mostly likely a combo).

1. Add shielding to crewable parts
  2. orient the habitable areas away from the radiation source (not sure how effective this is, but it seems to help)
  3. Have a RDU to treat radiation (essential for longer interplanetary missions and things like gas giants)
  4. Use active shielding parts. They can largely negate passive radiation

Edit - I read this early on and it was helpful - https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Environment

On 6/5/2023 at 8:39 AM, king of nowhere said:

VERY effective.

even a small part, like a 2.5 m battery, on top of a crew cabin will completely negate solar storm radiations if the ship is properly oriented.

however, there are a few important caveats:

- if the ship has multiple crew modules (anything with a living space, including greenhouses), the game takes an average of all of them. it doesn't matter if you keep all your crew in a single compartment, and that is shielded. the game takes the average.

- unless you completely surround the crew pod with other stuff, you have to point the ship in the right direction to keep it shielded. if you leave the ship, it will just save the last orientation; but if you stay with it, it will slowly change over time, causing your crew to be irradiated again.

So, prepare yourself for a slow interplanetary trip where you have to stop and fix orientation (and possibly run repairs) every once in a while

- also, this only works for solar storms. It has no effect on radiation belts (for those, shielding is the only real option) and background level (that one can be covered by an active shield, or a RDU running full time).

All in all, you may be better off just deactivating solar storms in the first place.

On 6/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, king of nowhere said:

Oh, one last bit; since a vessel you're not controlling is set in his solar orientation, the easiest way to travel a long time is to orient your vessel properly (recommended ways include waiting a solar storm and turning it around until radiation level becomes nominal), then go in the tracking station and time warp from there. If I recall correctly, this avoids the bug.

I ran four grand tours with kerbalism - two of which with expanded planetary packs - and I wrote extensive reports; they probably contain the most detailed informations on how to deal with kerbalism radiations - and other issues - available anywhere on the planet. I'd refer to those, unfortunately the information is scattered around descriptions of interplanetary transfers, tracking of life support resources, and sightseeing

Oh man, didn't expect this many people to respond! This is a lot of info to work with. Thanks a lot, guys. :)

Edited by TwoCalories

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question on how MTBF's work. I have near future mods installed and use the reactors heavily. Some of them are rather expensive and for longer interplanetary trips, it isn't feasible to recover them on Kerbin. Without kerbalism, I would be confident that I could just refuel it and go on another trip. But with failures and such I am concerned about sending it on another multi year trip.

But then I got to wondering, Kerbals can service these part, but I don't know if that is preventative maint. or if it'll just fix a issue already in place.

So the question is, if I have a MTBF of 5 years and I'm at 5 years, is there some way to try and extend that outside of replacing the part? Some things are just not feasible to replace in place, like a reactor. I've tried using EVA repair kits to repair some items and it doesn't seem to work.

Edit: I should add, I always bring two reactors for redundancy so if one failed I should be able to proceed at half power. I also always have a lot of extra life support just in case...

Edited by Nori

1 hour ago, Nori said:

Got a question on how MTBF's work. I have near future mods installed and use the reactors heavily. Some of them are rather expensive and for longer interplanetary trips, it isn't feasible to recover them on Kerbin. Without kerbalism, I would be confident that I could just refuel it and go on another trip. But with failures and such I am concerned about sending it on another multi year trip.

But then I got to wondering, Kerbals can service these part, but I don't know if that is preventative maint. or if it'll just fix a issue already in place.

So the question is, if I have a MTBF of 5 years and I'm at 5 years, is there some way to try and extend that outside of replacing the part? Some things are just not feasible to replace in place, like a reactor. I've tried using EVA repair kits to repair some items and it doesn't seem to work.

Edit: I should add, I always bring two reactors for redundancy so if one failed I should be able to proceed at half power. I also always have a lot of extra life support just in case...

nuclear reactors have the same rules of other kerbalism parts: you can inspect them, and service them if they are aging. if they break, there is a chance it can be fixed (they will be shown in yellow in that case).

however, nuclear reactors have a couple additional issues. in my latest grand tour, I faced three distinct bugs related to them:

15) Actual reliability time is different from what it should be. Just check more often the parts that get broken more often

And I have to point out that the nuclear reactors were the single most malfunctioning part.

actually, wait. the big 3000 Ec/s reactors did break easily. the small 60 Ec/s never had any problem

18) Some fission reactors are not working, even though they are not broken. Next time I actually break a reactor, I will revert the malfunction with a reload, and drop one of the nonfunctional ones

I noticed it happened with reactors that got a noncritical malfunction; they were fixed, but still they didn't work. Wasn't a big deal for me because I had 12, but it could be for you.

22) Sometimes, when the vessel is not in physical range, the nuclear reactors on Cylinder will stop for no reason. Load Cylinder into physical range and they restart

This one instead happened a few times only on the small reactors. No idea of what triggered it.

So, while nuclear reactors are nice, and they certainly can be used to fit your needs, I recommended bringing at least 2. Incindentally, the smaller model can be manipulated by eva construction, so if one breaks you can swap it for a good one without wasting the whole ship. and you can bring the broken one back to kerbin for recovery, you still get money back even if it's malfunctioning

• 2 weeks later...

@king of nowhere @Basilicofresco Here's a Module Manager patch that makes the RDU and TV configurable modules instead of permanent upgrades. Thanks for helping me track down what was going on by posting years ago :D

Spoiler
@PARTUPGRADE[Upgrade-*RDU|Upgrade-TV]:HAS[#cost,!entryCost]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:FINAL
{
	%entryCost = #$cost$
	-cost = 0
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Sickbay]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = Configure
		title = Sickbay Modules
		slots = 1
		SETUP
		{
			name = None
			desc = Empty slot for mass and cost savings.
		}
		SETUP
		{
			name = Tranquilizing Vortex
			cost = #$@PARTUPGRADE[Upgrade-TV]/entryCost$
			@cost /= 10
			mass = 0.1
			tech = #$@PARTUPGRADE[Upgrade-TV]/techRequired$
			desc = A tranquilizing vortex (TV) uses low quality distraction to put the crew into a state of apathy. It also relieves some of the stress, effects on dumbness are said to be hearsay.
			MODULE
			{
				type = Sickbay
				id_field = resource
				id_value = _SickbayTV
			}
		}
		SETUP
		{
			name = Radiation Detoxication Unit
			tech = #$@PARTUPGRADE[Upgrade-HitchhikerRDU]/techRequired$
			cost = #$@PARTUPGRADE[Upgrade-HitchhikerRDU]/entryCost$
			@cost /= 10
			mass = .75
			desc = The Radiation Detoxication Unit (RDU) uses <b>EC</b> and <b>Oxygen</b> to reduce the effects of radiation poisoning.
			MODULE
			{
				type = Sickbay
				id_field = resource
				id_value = _SickbayRDU
			}
		}
	}

@MODULE[Sickbay]:HAS[#resource[_SickbayTV]]
	{
		%slots = #$UPGRADES/UPGRADE/slots$
		%cureEverybody = #$UPGRADES/UPGRADE/cureEverybody$
		sickbay_id = kerbalism_TV
		-UPGRADES {}
	}

@MODULE[Sickbay]:HAS[#resource[_SickbayRDU]]
	{
		%slots = #$UPGRADES/UPGRADE/slots$
		sickbay_id = kerbalism_RDU
		-UPGRADES {}
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have two questions.

1). How do you get the visible radiation belts as on the OP in the video?

2) Is BDB support planned? Most of the stuff works fine, except the experiments are glitchy (Some of them will not complete, others won't have completion time, some experiments need to be recovered through contracts but they don't have that option with kerbalism) I have already talked to the BDB thread and they directed me here. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, space_otter said:

Hello, I have two questions.

1). How do you get the visible radiation belts as on the OP in the video?

2) Is BDB support planned? Most of the stuff works fine, except the experiments are glitchy (Some of them will not complete, others won't have completion time, some experiments need to be recovered through contracts but they don't have that option with kerbalism) I have already talked to the BDB thread and they directed me here. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) press B while in map view

2) no idea

• 3 weeks later...

hello, just noticed something with kerbalism, I'm making a rover to drive across kerbin and using H2 O2 fuel cells to power it, thought I would save some oxygen tanks and instead use the oxygen harvester to extract it right from the atmosphere, but for some reason, on the runway I get 'abundance below threshold' and the harvester won't run, so I did a test with all the different filters, and out of Oxygen, nitrogen, ammonia, and Carbon Dioxide, only the Nitrogen filter runs, displaying a nitrogen abundance of 76.28% while all the other abundance is 'none'

is this intentional? I can understand CO2 and ammonia having no abundance on kerbin, but I would assume there should be some oxygen at sea level, maybe enough to make up the remaining 23.72% of the atmosphere, there are no other mods that should change the atmosphere besides Kopernicus, which is a dependency for parallax and OPM, maybe there's a way I can go into the mod files and adjust the values to make sense?

https://imgur.com/a/Ypcr8bQ

edit: looking into the kerbalism resource configs, I only see files for ammonia, which seems to be specific for laythe, and nitrogen

checked the github page and it seems to be consistent there as well, now I will have to do some digging and see if I can find where the other resources went

edit edit:
did some more experimenting, copy pasted the text from nitrogen config, renamed everything to oxygen, booted up clean install of ksp and now the air filter is detecting oxygen at the same levels as nitrogen and working!

I guess I will have to manually figure out and set custom concentrations for CO2 and O2 for all the planets now that I know how to do it... at least nitrogen and ammonia are setup already

Edited by Arzielle