Coronavirus

Xd the great

4 hours ago, DDE said:

This doesn't square too well with New York's mass graves. Seems the mortality pattern at least shifted geographically.

They main problem is then your hospital beds fills up. This is always an major problems after catastrophes or battles or in this case pandemics. 
Now the real nightmare will be the 3rd world, you already have 1st world countries fighting over mask and respirators as in bribing truck drivers with a suitcase money  to deliver at their plane. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

That's how the proper handshaking must look like after the virocalypse ends.

Hide contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJgZxiVjPh_tpfAa3PfXU

Looks like standard is hand at heart in Norway, the military salute could work just as well but has lots of baggage as in only used outdoor with your cap and majors who you wanted to salute because of their rank got a bit annoyed as they had to salute back for the 29 time this hour. 
While fresh sergeants raised an fuss if they was not saluted. One of them called me an parody of Billy, well why don't I get an long running carton :) 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now the real nightmare will be the 3rd world, you already have 1st world countries fighting over mask and respirators as in bribing truck drivers with a suitcase money  to deliver at their plane

3rd world has younger population, so corona won’t hit them as hard.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Afair, the mass graves in NY are prepared for unclaimed bodies. Others are in fridges, waiting for funeral companies get working.

Hart Island has historically been used for unclaimed bodies, homeless people, etc., yes, but not in mass graves.

The bodies were stacking up too fast. They brought in refrigerated trucks to hold the bodies but those ran out of space, so they started with the mass graves, and they'll allow family to exhume and rebury whoever they want after the fact.

Yeah, the trouble is that the funeral homes are overwhelmed—not just because of the number of deaths, but also due to delays.

The family might want a service, but they can't have a service until restrictions are lifted. All the usual stuff that would move everything along is broken.

11 hours ago, tater said:

we saw a cockroach in the kitchen, so we decided to burn the house down.

Very apt.

By the time we figure this out perfectly, we will have gotten some things (badly) wrong anyway.  I'll give an example.

A side-effect of the panic entailed in a pandemic is the phenomenon of hoarding.  (The country I live in has now been credited with the invention of a new emergency, monetary system, called "toilet paper", or TP for short.)  So controls have now been applied across the board to prevent hoarding.  I went to buy beer recently and I typically buy a carton (24) of 500 ml cans because beer is expensive in this, the nation of the World's Greatest Beer Drinkers.  The cans are net cheaper than the 375 ml bottles.  (Paradoxically, we have the worst domestic beer (think Olympic training), so I buy a German pilsner (that took months to acquire the taste for) and is cheaper than domestic.)  The carton I wanted was not in evidence.  The anti-hoarding limit on beer is 11.2 liters.  So you can no longer buy the quantity of one (1) unit of a standard 12-liter carton that I have been buying, one at a time, as needed, since 2009.

If we can get something as simple as this wrong, how are we going to do taking charge of a once-in-a-century event?  I'm resigned to the situation but I watch with amusement.

Incidentally, there are worse side-effects to panic than hoarding.  How do we all like taking a risk with hyper-inflation?  Stimulus, anyone?

Edited by Hotel26

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Looks like standard is hand at heart in Norway, the military salute could work just as well but has lots of baggage as in only used outdoor with your cap and majors who you wanted to salute because of their rank got a bit annoyed as they had to salute back for the 29 time this hour. 
While fresh sergeants raised an fuss if they was not saluted. One of them called me an parody of Billy, well why don't I get an long running carton :) 

Speaking of lots of baggage, the handshake crisis has brought certain... advocates of the Roman salute out of the woodwork.

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Whoa.

Let's get that serological testing going.

Odd how that "around 15%" number keeps coming up.

Antibody tests Germany (on humans).

Antibody tests China (cats).

PCR testing mothers NY...