Coronavirus

Xd the great

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

She wrote the plot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ???

Apparently the plot of the HBO series is a pastiche of her stories and Grigori Medvedev's vastly more reliable Chernobyl Notebook, with some klyukva added on top.

9 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Clicks = $

The outlet in question is not a for-profit enterprise.

Anyway, back on topic.

Spoiler

"You were supposed to be the chosen one!" /s

I think I'm going to have to draw that graph... while this would initially suggest a dip in Moscow's outbreak, a lot of the "outside the capital" cases are the Moscow Oblast, which is just outside the capital.

Edited by DDE

30 minutes ago, DDE said:

The outlet in question is not a for-profit enterprise.

I can't read (or identify 100% so if I'm wrong my point merely stands more strongly) Cryllic so I have no way of knowing, but does that site normally post woo-woo garbage? If so, that's enough. If not, I assume wherever they got the story from was doing it for clicks.

If not, I don't know. Maybe she donated to them in a totally non profit way, or they get more donations with more clicks. Not-for-profit doesn't mean not-for-money.

OK, we're down to the smart kids' Nobel prize winners now.

https://www.cnews.fr/france/2020-04-17/le-coronavirus-est-un-virus-sorti-dun-laboratoire-chinois-avec-de-ladn-de-vih

Luc Montagnier thinks it's a ...failed HIV vaccine?

They were published in a new journal of which he is chairman of the editorial board, allegedly detecting electromagnetic signals from bacterial DNA (M. pirum and E. coli) in water that had been prepared using agitation and high dilutions, and similar research on electromagnetic detection of HIV DNA in the blood of AIDS patients treated by antiretroviral therapy.

Well, you can't blame him for lack of imagination, but apparently the evidence is rather... thin.

Edited by DDE

First Stanford antibody data:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v1.full.pdf

Their data implies that by April 1, there were likely 48,000 to 81,000 infected in Santa Clara which is 50-85 times the total number of cofirmed cases on that day (956). While nothing like herd immunity level (not even close), it does change all the resource/death numbers accordingly.

Their county dashboard:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard.aspx

Their county current CFR is 3.8%, divide by 50-85? That gives an IFR of 0.08% - 0.04% (interesting how close that is to what that Swedish guy has).

(that's IFR was my simple division, the paper suggests an inferred IFR of 0.12-0.2%)

This below is about the source of the virus, and it's the youtuber who broke the story. He makes a good case (he had lived in China for 10 years, speaks the language, and his wife is Chinese) for a possible accidental release.

Spoiler

Edited by tater

Wow, looking at the LANL forecast for NY State, they have a best guess deaths for NYS by the end of May as ~26,000 dead (best case ~17k, worst case ~55k). That is 0.16% of 82% of the population of the State (LANL study found R0 to be 5.7, which requires 82% for herd immunity).

They are NOT modeling any mitigations, they are simply plotting trends on whatever is actually happening with the numbers in each State. Interesting stuff, and the fact it overlaps at all with the data scientist guy in Sweden is intriguing.

The "plus" of that Swedish model is that it burns itself out in ~75 days. The huge minus is obviously that the fuel in that fire is humans. He assumes 100% infection, whereas the actual might be more like 80%, but 80% of the US suffering even seasonal flu level mortality would be a few hundred thousand dead people.

If the NYC data is right on the pregnant women, at the same time as this antibody study in terms of infections, NYC had something on the order of 15% of the pop with active cases at the same time as the antibody testing study. Maybe the difference between NY and CA is not that CA is lucky, or did something better, but that CA is just a few doubling periods behind NY. Note that lockdowns could very well be helping here, but it seems like as soon as the brakes are off, we just get more, mostly unseen infections.

Unrelated to the antibody testing, the CDC tracking data is not very well curated, the numbers keep changing after they are published, so the reduction in all-cause mortality has been cut a great deal by retroactively adding deaths to data (not the latest week, all the weeks) that was supposedly good, so that link can be safely ignored for a while until the numbers don't have deaths retroactively added to them.

Edited by tater

So... here's an 'interesting' thing, to put things to scale:

If all infected people in the US alone were stacked on top of each other, they'd build a tower that's bigger than Kerbin.

And the globally infected are about one third of Earth...
Assumption: Body height of 1.80m

And then you have people saying "it's just a flu".

On 4/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, DDE said:

I think I'm going to have to draw that graph... while this would initially suggest a dip in Moscow's outbreak, a lot of the "outside the capital" cases are the Moscow Oblast, which is just outside the capital.

Did the graph. Then got two days' worth of data. That Thursday was an anomaly, I am still in the middle of the country's largest COVID hotspot.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/07/2004999117

The virus may have mutated into its final ‘human-efficient’ form months ago, but stayed inside a bat or other animal or even human for several months without infecting other individuals. Then, it started infecting and spreading among humans between September 13 and December 7, generating the network we present in [the study].

It's just a flu they said:

5YTUlRS.png

Taken from: "Nightshifts as a COVID Cardiologist" by Medlife Crisis (A youtube channel that I can only recommend!)

I haven't found that plot on the web as such, but the data is publicly available on the pages of the British ONS: Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales.

P.S. Completely unrelated: does anyone know why the forum editor in my browser sometimes detects a pasted link as a link and expands it, and sometimes doesn't?

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Did the graph. Then got two days' worth of data. That Thursday was an anomaly, I am still in the middle of the country's largest COVID hotspot.

I think it’s safe to say that the “quarantine” is either not working at all or is vastly underperforming. The spread rate has been nearly constant for the last two weeks.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The virus may have mutated into its final ‘human-efficient’ form months ago, but stayed inside a bat or other animal or even human for several months without infecting other individuals. Then, it started infecting and spreading among humans

Spoiler

Union-Square-people-crowd-wore-Batman-ma

32 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Union-Square-people-crowd-wore-Batman-ma

But is the GRU involved?

Spoiler

i?id=0d46e3fd82d876ad40f7332df93df6ea-l&

https://tass.ru/obschestvo/8277157

Moscow pulmonologist suggests exanthema (a rash) and livedo reticularis are dermal symptoms, albeit rare. Their frequency is reverse-proportionate with age, so another way to spot young asymptomatics?

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

I think it’s safe to say that the “quarantine” is either not working at all or is vastly underperforming. The spread rate has been nearly constant for the last two weeks.

look at were i live ( Italy), you need a full month of quarantine to start seeeing real results