You guys watch the Everyday Astronaut?

Toucan

I used the search form before posting this because I was expecting there to already be a thread for this fellow,  I couldn't find one so I thought I would begin one.

There is a great presenter on youtube I have been watching recently called the Everyday Astronaut. I think most people around here would probably enjoy his videos very much.
His videos are very informative and often has very interesting interviews.
This one below I personally found very interesting and recommend. Its primarily about the SpaceX raptor engine but has a very thorough comparison between some older and more modern rocket engines.

7 hours ago, Geonovast said:

He's one of my favorites.  I've seen almost all of his videos, and have three shirts from him.

I was thinking of grabbing one of the full flow rocket engine shirts as well to be honest. His shirts are pretty cool.

Did you happen to watch the episode on aerospikes, that one was very interesting. It completely shatters my once held and very novice belief that aerospikes were the future of rocket engines.

21 hours ago, Nuke said:

every now and again, but i tend to think a lot of his videos are too long. 

I think they're frequently too short.

I see YouTubers all the time apologize for their videos being "too long" when they're maybe 10-12 minutes long.  I want the in-depth details, not just skim over the topic as quickly so I can get to the next thing to skim over quickly.  The Raptor and Aerospike videos are a very nice length.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I think they're frequently too short.

I see YouTubers all the time apologize for their videos being "too long" when they're maybe 10-12 minutes long.  I want the in-depth details, not just skim over the topic as quickly so I can get to the next thing to skim over quickly.  The Raptor and Aerospike videos are a very nice length.

anything north of 20 minutes is too long. mostly because i can only watch so many videos in a day and there are other channels. ted uses an 18 minute time limit for its talks, mostly because that is the limits of the human attention span, but it sure sounds like optimal video length to me.

I think it would be very difficult to make a thorough comparison of rocket engines, along with a description of what exactly it is you are comparing in just 18 minutes. Its pretty complex and very thoroughly explained.

I really enjoy his scripted work, but his attempts at a livestream during Wednesday's scrub made me feel embarrassed for him.  If you're setting up for what is possibly the biggest spaceflight event in the last 30+ years, you'd think he would have been just slightly prepared. 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:58 PM, GuessingEveryDay said:

I wonder where he is on the forums.

It would be interesting to have a chat, that's for sure. Would love the chance to ask Matt Lowne a question or two as well.

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I really enjoy his scripted work, but his attempts at a livestream during Wednesday's scrub made me feel embarrassed for him.  If you're setting up for what is possibly the biggest spaceflight event in the last 30+ years, you'd think he would have been just slightly prepared. 

Was that that video where the two gentlemen were chatting and when the vapour appeared they were like "Oh, that's new!"?

1 hour ago, Toucan said:

It would be interesting to have a chat, that's for sure. Would love the chance to ask Matt Lowne a question or two as well.

Was that that video where the two gentlemen were chatting and when the vapour appeared they were like "Oh, that's new!"?

No (well maybe, I gave up watching him early on), that was from his livestream on Wednesday, prior to the scrubbed launch of Dragon.   He was clearly completely unprepared and had no idea about what he was going to do.   For a guy who puts out really well planned and executed (if not long) scripted videos, it was a real disappointment to see that level of unprofessionalism (even for an "amateur").   Some more prep work was clearly called for, ie What to do if this breaks, etc.   

I understand he's a Youtuber, and not a talking head or field reporter.  But for a guy who gets frequent interviews with major players in the industry, I just expected more. 

Edited by Gargamel

53 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

It is just a simple insert URL of the video?

Yup.  Just copy what's in the address bar when viewing the view and paste it into your post.  Wait a second or two, and it'll automatically embed.

This video is probably what got me to start getting interested into real spaceflight again.

For me to join his channel it was 

I know that this is one of the old videos, but I still hadn't found out about SpaceX landing rockets. I only knew that SpaceX was crushing the industry and quickly changing how people think. After this video, I was inspired to look deeper and find more about this, and that me hooked to rockets.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.