Comet Neowise 2020! [August Hubble photo update]

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

"Great Comet of 2020."? Seriously? It's barely visible with naked eye. Even comet Hyakutake was bigger and much brighter - but no one suggested to name it a Great Comet.

"The Only Decent Thing That's Happened To Us This Year Comet of 2020"?

5 hours ago, Scotius said:

"Great Comet of 2020."? Seriously? It's barely visible with naked eye. Even comet Hyakutake was bigger and much brighter - but no one suggested to name it a Great Comet.

I mean that was in the 1990s. We haven't really seen a comet in NH for a while. Plus 2020 has been a depressing year

First day that's not completely cloudy at either sunrise or sunset. Clouds only obscuring half of the sky or so.

Saw a point of light "under" the Big Dipper that I don't think is normally there. Checked my phone, it's not normally there. Looked at it through binoculars, looks like a star.

Meh, I guess I'll assume it's the comet and check that off my list.

Anyone have tips or tricks on how to get the ion tail. Miraculously, I have a window of time for the next three days. I don't know if brute force exposure time would do it, but we can try!

Well I got more photos and last night was really hard to see so we decided yesterday was probably the last time we would see it. I have good photos but I am working on a video so I am going to wait...

On 7/24/2020 at 4:49 AM, Superfluous J said:

Looked at it through binoculars, looks like a star.

Meh, I guess I'll assume it's the comet and check that off my list.

With my binoculars, it looks quite fuzzy, and even from within a city (Geneva), I can make out the tail.

If it really looks like a star, thats probably not it.

56 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

With my binoculars, it looks quite fuzzy, and even from within a city (Geneva), I can make out the tail.

If it really looks like a star, thats probably not it.

I assume you had a clear sky?

Even the spots with no clouds were not perfectly clear. Conditions were... shall we say... not peak.

I got a video almost ready to film and scripted. Found some interesting facts while doing it. We decided last night was the last night we where going to try with it not even being viewable without binoculars (We went out to Tooele Valley Utah). 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Is that a contact binary comet, then, with those sprays coming off in opposite directions?

This is far out near the coma of the comet. Not the nucleus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.