[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to use this with JNSQ and scatterer. It seems that the oceans are not loading properly, at least for kerbin (I haven't checked Eve and Laythe so far).

The oceans are invisible and I can see all the way down to the ocean floor. 

At times it looks like the entire Scatterer config for Kerbin isn't loading. When it does, I can just fix the ocean problem by opening the scatterer menu and clicking "rebuild ocean" but sometimes I don't even have the option to select Kerbin in the scatterer menu, as if the config wasn't loaded at all.

If anyone could shed some beautifully scattered light on this issue I'd be very grateful :)

Here are some screenshots https://imgur.com/a/wQLMfv6

Thanks!

Edited by lBoBl

Thank for the suggestion to add the repository... its did work after doing that... However... I have to wonder why this mod is not in the normal CKAN repository? There seem to be plenty of 'branch' mods in it and the only Kopernicus in it does not work with current Kerbal.

Adding the repository seems to be workaround... imagine if EVERY mod required you to add their repository... So if there is anything I and others can do to help get this in the official repo, please let us know... 

11 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Thank for the suggestion to add the repository... its did work after doing that... However... I have to wonder why this mod is not in the normal CKAN repository? There seem to be plenty of 'branch' mods in it and the only Kopernicus in it does not work with current Kerbal.

Adding the repository seems to be workaround... imagine if EVERY mod required you to add their repository... So if there is anything I and others can do to help get this in the official repo, please let us know... 

This is the official development branch of Kopernicus.  From the OP:

1.) When will this leave development?

A.)  It won't.  The whole idea is this is the eternal testing ground.  It stays here forever and ever and ever...

On 11/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Atlas Gaming said:

The stable branch of Kopernicus, supporting only 1.9.1 at the moment, does not require you to add anything.

Some day that branch will support 1.10.1 and this question will be less important, but right now, we are still waiting on some features before declaring it "stable" for 1.10.1.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, lBoBl said:

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to use this with JNSQ and scatterer. It seems that the oceans are not loading properly, at least for kerbin (I haven't checked Eve and Laythe so far).

The oceans are invisible and I can see all the way down to the ocean floor. 

At times it looks like the entire Scatterer config for Kerbin isn't loading. When it does, I can just fix the ocean problem by opening the scatterer menu and clicking "rebuild ocean" but sometimes I don't even have the option to select Kerbin in the scatterer menu, as if the config wasn't loaded at all.

If anyone could shed some beautifully scattered light on this issue I'd be very grateful :)

Here are some screenshots https://imgur.com/a/wQLMfv6

Thanks!

That's odd.  Can I get a KSP.log from you?  We had a similar bug many moons ago but I thought it was completely squashed.  Curious for sure.

Edited by R-T-B

The big solar heating fix milestone has finally dropped.  This release fixes the heating bug in multistar as well as many solar panel issues, but it's interactions with other mods right now are unknown and untested.  It also may have some bugs of it's own.  But this is a MAJOR MILESTONE in that the solar panel heating code rewrite is feature complete.

This release integrates a lot of solar code from Kerbalism, so interaction reports with that mod in particular are appreciated.  You do not need Kerbalism installed to use it, but the contributions of Kerbalism devs work in making this release possible should not go unapreciated.

Please test this so we can get it to stable as fast as possible and move on to comets and better things.

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 47. It contains the following changes:

1.) This is the big release that fixes the heating bugs with multistar! It does this and also fixes the crazy-level buggy multi-star solar panel implementation, by importing code from Kerbalism. Effectively, we are running a stripped down version of Kerbialism internally now that only does the solar math stuff (this is possible since Kerbalism is Unlicense licensed, but I will respect the devs wishes if they object to this, of course). Obviously this needs testing, as I'm unsure how well it will work in it's first release! Give credit to the amazing Kerbalism devs for their contribution here! I don't think I could have done it without using their code as a base, frankly.  It should not interfere with stock kerbalism.

2.) Rings were not visible from within atmospheres. An experimental fix for this has been deployed as well.

Known Bugs:

1.) None known right now, but given the beta state of this release, don't be afraid to report any you find! There probably are a few!

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

47 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@R-T-B, Thanks!  Other than not throwing exceptions when loading with Kerbalism, what should we be looking for exactly to know if it's working as intended?

Performance issues or heating/EC generation not working as expected, mainly.

I am already aware that this may not work well with some third party solar panels.  The Kerbalism devs have been kind enough to provide some pointers there, so there should be a bugfix release for that soon. 

PS:  Some old craft may show errors during the loading process about a missing module or similar in next, or maybe even present release.  This can be safely ignored.

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I am already aware that this may not work well with some third party solar panels.  The Kerbalism devs have been kind enough to provide some pointers there, so there should be a bugfix release for that soon. 

Seeing the changelog, this was my immediate "Oh excrements, I'm super reluctant to install this now" feeling for exactly this reason. 

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Known Bugs:

1.) None known right now, but given the beta state of this release, don't be afraid to report any you find! There probably are a few!

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

-RTB

edit = Wow, nvm.  tl;dr - have more coffee before testing. Sorry. :D

Edited by Idleness

@R-T-B, Release 47 does appear to break Kerbalism even outside of anything to do with Solar Panel functionality.  With 47, I was not able to open the "Configure Pod" functionality of command pods, circled here working in 46.  I tested this in a full install that represents my setup for my career save, so you will see a lot of entries for KTT which produces a lot of log spam due to all of the MM patches...

Spoiler

bTS8SdD.jpg

This seems to be some of the relevant errors:

Spoiler

[LOG 21:42:48.462] AnimatedAttachment: *** AnimatedAttachement_v{0}:LoadConfig ***
[ERR 21:42:48.463] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `crewReport` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[LOG 21:42:48.476] AnimatedAttachment: OnStartFinished
[LOG 21:42:48.495] [Part M2X.TunaCockpit] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'materialSwitch'] Switched subtype to Baseline
[LOG 21:42:48.495] [Part M2X.TunaCockpit] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'spaceSwitch'] Switched subtype to Improved
[LOG 21:42:48.495] [Part M2X.TunaCockpit] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'batterySwitch'] Switched subtype to Level2
[LOG 21:42:51.562] M2X.TunaCockpit added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 21:42:55.645] deleting part blue.steel.cockpit.s0 and all children
[ERR 21:43:00.102] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `crewReport` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[LOG 21:43:00.123] [Part Knes.Command.K-IXV] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'materialSwitch'] Switched subtype to Baseline
[LOG 21:43:00.123] [Part Knes.Command.K-IXV] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'spaceSwitch'] Switched subtype to Improved
[LOG 21:43:00.123] [Part Knes.Command.K-IXV] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'batterySwitch'] Switched subtype to Level2
[LOG 21:43:01.943] deleting part Knes.Command.K-IXV
[LOG 21:43:55.608] [ModuleCryoTank]: Reloading ConfigNodes for nflv-fueltank-75-2
[LOG 21:43:55.614] [Part nflv-fueltank-75-2] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] Switched subtype to LF/O
[LOG 21:43:58.828] deleting part nflv-fueltank-75-2
[LOG 21:44:03.370] [ModuleCryoTank]: Reloading ConfigNodes for Size1p5.Tank.04
[LOG 21:44:03.375] [Part Size1p5.Tank.04] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] Switched subtype to LF/O
[ERR 21:44:08.057] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `temperatureScan` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.057] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `seismicScan` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `geigerCounter` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `kerbalism_TELEMETRY` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `kerbalism_LITE` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `kerbalism_MITE` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `kerbalism_SITE` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `ca_SiteSurvey` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[ERR 21:44:08.058] [Kerbalism] Experiment.OnStart ExpInfo for experiment_id `kerbalism_HERD` is null, does the config definition exists ?

[LOG 21:44:08.068] [Part .Luciole.KickStage.0625] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'engineSwitch'] Switched subtype to original
[LOG 21:44:08.068] [Part .Luciole.KickStage.0625] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'batterySwitch'] Switched subtype to Level2
[EXC 21:44:08.114] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KERBALISM.Experiment.Update () (at <44d2b28eb09144efbf56dab50bc4321b>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[EXC 21:44:08.130] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
[EXC 21:44:08.149] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:44:08.163] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

For comparison, here are the logs (Google Drive) has the same setup with 46 and 47 that "might" be helpful.  It's the end of the night for me, but let me know if you want me to test on a lighter install.

Edited by hemeac

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Obviously this needs testing, as I'm unsure how well it will work in it's first release!

As one of the Kerbalism maintainers, and after a quick look at the implementation, my only suggestion is : do not use that Kopernicus release on any non-test savegame.

We are perfectly fine with R-T-B reusing our code, but this should never have been done this way and will cause many issues (or at least it should never had been publicly released in that state).

Edited by Gotmachine

1 hour ago, Gotmachine said:

As one of the Kerbalism maintainers, and after a quick look at the implementation, my only suggestion is : do not use that Kopernicus release on any non-test savegame.

We are perfectly fine with R-T-B reusing our code, but this should never have been done this way and will cause many issues (or at least it should never had been publicly released in that state).

I'm in agreement after a morning lookover.  I am rolling back this release for issues with Kerbalism amongst other mods.  If you installed it via CKAN, I would advise a revert.  I do apologize, it is the bleeding edge I know but this doesn't even meet those limited standards.  It just needs to work better with other mods than this.

I have a better idea of how to approach this.  Expect a release without the compatability bugs soon.

3 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

Seems to be OK with Near Future Solars and heating on GPP Grannus is OK too.

Even if it seems to be working well with third party solar panels, the issues with Kerbalism are enough to justify a different approach.  Thanks for testing.

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Seeing the changelog, this was my immediate "Oh excrements, I'm super reluctant to install this now" feeling for exactly this reason. 

If it's any consolation, I have a much cleaner approach that does not involve actually running the kerbalism sim I will be working on today.  We will still be borrowing some ideas but running the full sim was excessive, and unnecesary.  You basically called it.

Edited by R-T-B

Heads up!  The new release with a different approach that doesn't run Kerbalism internally (thus avoiding potentially compatibility issues) is here!

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 48. It contains the following changes:

1.) This is the big release that fixes the heating bugs with multistar! It does this and also fixes the crazy-level buggy multi-star solar panel implementation.

2.) The old method of running "Kerbalism Lite" inside Kopernicus has been scrapped in favor of a lighter approach (not running the full Kerbalism sim at all). The bugs I targeted should still be fixed.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

This is release 49. It contains the following changes:

1.) Merely a performance update that makes solar panels perform a bit better in large numbers. This code will likely make it into stable branch soon.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 10 minutes ago

This is release 50. It contains the following changes:

1.) A cosmetic bug in multistar tracking where a body would show as occuluding the panel when it was not has been fixed.

2.) A bug where if the tracked star was occuluded, total EC output was set to zero under some situations has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

This should be the last bugfix release for the new solar code, and now I am moving on to comets...  barring any major bugs.  Rejoice!

On 7/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, R-T-B said:

Kopernicus Continued Planetary System Modifier is a mod that provides for the graceful introduction of new celestial bodies to Kerbal Space Program.  This is where we test new things and learn how break the universe with gusto.

Disclaimer

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.  These features do get tested, briefly, and they generally work, but still, bugs can be slip by and be real, so it is important to BACK UP YOUR SAVEGAMES!

It should be noted I am a member of the current Kopernicus Maintainence effort and this is an official Kopernicus-Continued subproject.

Features:

Presently, over the base Prestja Kopernicus-Continued branch, this branch also features.

1.)  A common source code base for both 1.9.1 and 1.10.1, enabling easy retrocompatability when we fully move to 1.10.x.  Yes, this means we can support old releases well into the future if this works.

versionlock807.png

2.)  Cool stuff you have no idea... (do I even?) 

untitled.png

3.)  bugs???

eastern-boxelder-bug.jpg

FAQ:

1.) When will this leave development?

A.)  It won't.  The whole idea is this is the eternal testing ground.  It stays here forever and ever and ever...

2.)  What does this mod do?

A.)  On it's own, nothing.  It's generally a dependency or modders tool.

3.)  Can I has a CKAN version?

A.)  Sure, just opt in to our private beta CKAN repo.  This will grant you auto updates from the beta tree and get you all this stuff straight from CKAN!  Do the following technique to start this:

From your main CKAN window, go to "Settings"

Add our CKAN repo in the resulting text box.  It's the one called "Kopernicus_BE"

No more FAQ for now, ask me something frequently and I may add it to stop you...

Downloads

Kopernicus "Bleeding Edge" Unified Downloads  (the base mod)

KittopiaTech "Bleeding Edge" Unified Downloads  (this is basically a GUI for Kopernicus pack developers, hit CTRL-P in mapview, most don't need it)

Please ensure you grab the right version for your KSP version!  1.9.1 needs a zip with _191_ in the filename, 1.10 needs _110_, 1.10.1 is _1101_, etc.

Credit

Credit must be given to other current Kopernicus Maintainers @prestja, as well as previous authors @Thomas P. , @Sigma88  and many others for their incredible work in building an elegant solution for bringing new worlds to KSP.

Source Code

Source code can be found on the GitHub repository.                                   

See branch dev1101 for details.

License

Kopernicus is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License

Hi, I am actually new here. I installed the beta version of kopernicus 1.10, but am facing a few issues. Could someone advice me on how to proceed thx.

Link to image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmkGGO0ZA6KoxXl762yjXcizohixGUeA/view?usp=sharing

10 hours ago, Ravien said:

Looks like comets work atm.

KSP 1.10.1 . JNSQ  Kopernicus BE v46

BRrN1BU.png

They are working atm, but they need custom control for planet pack authors.  Right now they are only reliable in stock-styled systems.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:08 PM, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

Hi, I am actually new here. I installed the beta version of kopernicus 1.10, but am facing a few issues. Could someone advice me on how to proceed thx.

Link to image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmkGGO0ZA6KoxXl762yjXcizohixGUeA/view?usp=sharing

KSP.log file (found in your game install root) and a picture of your gamedata mods list please.

Edited by R-T-B

11 hours ago, R-T-B said:

They are working atm, but they need custom control for planet pack authors.  Right now they are only reliable in stock-styled systems.

KSP.log file (found in your game install root) and a picture of your gamedata mods list please.

Hi thx for your reply.

Link to Game Data folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_1tVf5py3vODkfkJ9JcJd1D-GPFOLdg/view?usp=sharing

Link to KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEB3oThhHg9LiGkuAJRAFoZcNb80KX0W/view?usp=sharing

22 hours ago, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

Hi thx for your reply.

Link to Game Data folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_1tVf5py3vODkfkJ9JcJd1D-GPFOLdg/view?usp=sharing

Link to KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEB3oThhHg9LiGkuAJRAFoZcNb80KX0W/view?usp=sharing

Hello, sorry for the delay.

Your links are giving me "File does not exist" errors.

Sorry, will need to figure that out first.

-RTB

Hi @R-T-B, I might be asking the impossible here, but I've been combing the github scatter code all night and haven't made much progress as yet. Is it possible to pick apart the bits of code to be able to generate a single Scatter mesh?

For context, I'm trying to find a way to specifically generate a single Pol 'stalactite' mesh and using these two github pages for reference to work it out. I want to use that mesh and add it into a part model, which is why I'm only after 1 copy of the mesh and not a full quad of meshes merged into one. 

As mentioned, I see that in the Kopernicus code comments it mentions that KSP merges all scatters that are on one quad into one gigantic mesh. What I can't find is the first copy of that stalactite mesh. (Best guess is that it's either procedurally generated, or it's under one of the 'Unass' Quads that is referenced in the code. I found 5 x UnAss Quads, but haven't checked the hierarchy to see if there is a mesh I can use.)

https://github.com/Kopernicus/kittopia-dumps/blob/62d64791adba14aacd33b5f2d7a3c42f8b78cd8b/Configs/Pol.cfg#L397

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/081c87c39ade281ff4df44ef216ff175fcd07f38/src/Kopernicus/Components/ModularScatter/ModularScatter.cs#L276

I figure I might be able to 'preload' the variables to only generate a single stalactite on the quad and then somehow isolate that mesh into it's own Mesh gameobject to be used elsewhere. This is a total guess, but it seems to be a mix of the boulder and Cube meshes, but I'm not sure how to go about recreating the shape.

Edited by cyberKerb

On 12/3/2020 at 6:29 AM, cyberKerb said:

Hi @R-T-B, I might be asking the impossible here, but I've been combing the github scatter code all night and haven't made much progress as yet. Is it possible to pick apart the bits of code to be able to generate a single Scatter mesh?

For context, I'm trying to find a way to specifically generate a single Pol 'stalactite' mesh and using these two github pages for reference to work it out. I want to use that mesh and add it into a part model, which is why I'm only after 1 copy of the mesh and not a full quad of meshes merged into one. 

As mentioned, I see that in the Kopernicus code comments it mentions that KSP merges all scatters that are on one quad into one gigantic mesh. What I can't find is the first copy of that stalactite mesh. (Best guess is that it's either procedurally generated, or it's under one of the 'Unass' Quads that is referenced in the code. I found 5 x UnAss Quads, but haven't checked the hierarchy to see if there is a mesh I can use.)

https://github.com/Kopernicus/kittopia-dumps/blob/62d64791adba14aacd33b5f2d7a3c42f8b78cd8b/Configs/Pol.cfg#L397

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/081c87c39ade281ff4df44ef216ff175fcd07f38/src/Kopernicus/Components/ModularScatter/ModularScatter.cs#L276

I figure I might be able to 'preload' the variables to only generate a single stalactite on the quad and then somehow isolate that mesh into it's own Mesh gameobject to be used elsewhere. This is a total guess, but it seems to be a mix of the boulder and Cube meshes, but I'm not sure how to go about recreating the shape.

I'll be frank:  You understand that code about as well as I do... lol (Scary fact, what I do is 90% stumbling in the dark, 5% dumb luck, and 5% actual coding skill).

The culling system you'll find in there is my work.  That's about all I dared do to that section of the code, as I don't fully understand it.  @Thomas P. MIGHT be able to answer your question if he comes around, I think he's the original author.

Edited by R-T-B

20 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

what I do is 80% stumbling in the dark, 5% dumb luck, and 5% actual coding skill.

You too eh? I know enough to get the gist of the code and piece together bits knowing about dependencies and inheritance, but yeah - It's lot of change, load game, check result, refer to logs, then repeat ad-nauseum until either it gives up it's secrets and I understand what's going on, or I give up and find another method.

Edited by cyberKerb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.