Drilling Ore

My ships always bounce around a bit on Minmus, even when I put the landing gear on the lowest spring setting. It never causes problems with drilling. When I move my rover around (with drills still going) I'll occasionally get a message "can't deploy part because you're not on the surface" or something like that. I think that happens when I do actually bounce around off the ground a bit.

On asteroids, I've had times where the tip of the drill was visible above the surface, but I was still getting ore. Based on the picture it looks like it's clearly in the ground far enough.

5 hours ago, Grogs said:

My ships always bounce around a bit on Minmus, even when I put the landing gear on the lowest spring setting. It never causes problems with drilling. When I move my rover around (with drills still going) I'll occasionally get a message "can't deploy part because you're not on the surface" or something like that. I think that happens when I do actually bounce around off the ground a bit.

On asteroids, I've had times where the tip of the drill was visible above the surface, but I was still getting ore. Based on the picture it looks like it's clearly in the ground far enough.

ok here is the question, why the ship not fully stopped? It just looks like the ground is slippy......doesn't make sense

12 minutes ago, domendemo said:

ok here is the question, why the ship not fully stopped? It just looks like the ground is slippy......doesn't make sense

The computer need to calculate how much force need to be applied to fully stop the craft.

Computers calculate things insanely fast, but even the fasted computer will give the answer the time of a calculation too late.

12 hours ago, domendemo said:

I always have a message saying no ground contact but i do see the drill is inside the ground

Is it a bug?

Hmmm it feels like you encoutering the sliding bug, things sadly in Kerbal tend to slide constantly, its an old nasty bug.

Same problem occurs if you try to scan something because the vessel is moving.

This gem of a mod might help you to solve your problem for now,

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/180083-ksp-110x-parking-brake-030-2020-07-20/

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

Hmmm it feels like you encoutering the sliding bug, things sadly in Kerbal tend to slide constantly, its an old nasty bug.

Same problem occurs if you try to scan something because the vessel is moving.

This gem of a mod might help you to solve your problem for now,

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/180083-ksp-110x-parking-brake-030-2020-07-20/

hmm but my ship does not have landing legs or wheels...

I use the thrust engines as the legs

5 hours ago, domendemo said:

hmm but my ship does not have landing legs or wheels...

I use the thrust engines as the legs

It doesn't matter, the constant sliding occurs no matter what touches the ground its a total bug.

Whatever is landed slides less or more depending whats the case.

I think even those new shiny grip pads slide but like really....really slow.

Edited by Boyster

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

It doesn't matter, the constant sliding occurs no matter what touches the ground its a total bug.

Whatever is landed slides less or more depending whats the case.

I think even those new shiny grip pads slide but like really....really slow.

Yeah, use landing legs next time

1 hour ago, domendemo said:

No i purposely design in this way coz i think the legs would make my ship taller and easily lost balance when landing

And you put it on movable parts..then your craft slip just a hair to the left and SAS swing it back a meter to the right.

Its probably not his design, no matter what you put or what you land, at this steep angle it will cause too much sliding due to the bug.

Even in full flat areas in all planets things constantly slide, even the Kerbals slide.

Try the parking brake mod and if it fixes it then you found the cause, well the bug.

Anyways.''

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, domendemo said:

Does the parking brake apply automatically once installed?

It does not work. The ship still have a little sliding and still saying no ground contact

Did you also download the module manager? Most mods including this one needs that.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-18x-110x-module-manager-414-july-7th-2020-locked-inside-edition/

You either right click any command module and see a new option to turn the ''brake'' on(thats how you know you installed the mod correctly)

or you just turn the vessel brakes on.

Edited by Boyster

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

Did you also download the module manager? Most mods including this one needs that.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-18x-110x-module-manager-414-july-7th-2020-locked-inside-edition/

You either right click any command module and see a new option to turn the ''brake'' on(thats how you know you installed the mod correctly)

or you just turn the vessel brakes on.

Yes, i tried the option in the comm pod and from the top UI, but it is not working

i believe it only works if your ship got landing legs or gears

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.