[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

Bug report:

Tried to set the last planet for the Stock system as Plock (OPM installed) (i changed the [!JNSQ] - Part from Eeloo to Plock in the config).

The current detection of planetary space is broken. In the current pre-release 1.10.0.x the Vessel does not switch anymore from planetary to interplanetary spatial position when leaving Kerbins SOI. :-/ instead it goes directly to interstellar.

Using the Blueshift config (last planet = Eeloo), that comes with the pre-release (= Angel's BS config not changed) the vessel goes also directly to spatial location Interstellar as well. So it was not my missconfiguration. It happens with the BS standard config as well.

@Angelo Kerman I guess something is broken in the latest pre-releases. You may want to have a look at it.

(My kopernicus config is: OPM and REX)

Bug report fix confirmation:

The missing option to set AG items for the displacement generators in VAB/SPH is fixed. Thank you

On 1/14/2024 at 11:50 AM, Rakete said:

Bug report:

Tried to set the last planet for the Stock system as Plock (OPM installed) (i changed the [!JNSQ] - Part from Eeloo to Plock in the config).

The current detection of planetary space is broken. In the current pre-release 1.10.0.x the Vessel does not switch anymore from planetary to interplanetary spatial position when leaving Kerbins SOI. :-/ instead it goes directly to interstellar.

Using the Blueshift config (last planet = Eeloo), that comes with the pre-release (= Angel's BS config not changed) the vessel goes also directly to spatial location Interstellar as well. So it was not my missconfiguration. It happens with the BS standard config as well.

@Angelo Kerman I guess something is broken in the latest pre-releases. You may want to have a look at it.

(My kopernicus config is: OPM and REX)

Bug report fix confirmation:

The missing option to set AG items for the displacement generators in VAB/SPH is fixed. Thank you

Are you sure Real Exoplanets works with the stock solar system? The mod description seems to indicate that it's for Real Solar System.

JM100jn.png

I've verified that Blueshift is correctly identifying interstellar space with OPM installed and setting the last planet as Plock.

E.G.

LAST_PLANET:NEEDS[!JNSQ]
{
	// Name of the last planet.
	// This is the name of the celestial body, NOT the display name!
//	name = Eeloo
	name = Plock

// Name of the star that the planet orbits.
	starName = Sun
}

works.

43 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Are you sure Real Exoplanets works with the stock solar system? The mod description seems to indicate that it's for Real Solar System.

Yes, it works with the stock system. It is made for both cases - you can teöl the mod if stock or rss in the config file by a paramatwr made foe that. In case of RSS it just scales the interstellar distances different. It also has a setting to change interstellar distances to your needs. I found no issue.

The issue wasn't there in BS 1.9.5... so something in BS must have changed since then, I guess. Or I messed something up... but I am sure to not have touched it since then.

At the moment as soon as you leace Kerbins SOI you always get to spacial location interstellar, even if you just are between duna and kerbin. The spatial location should be interplanetary,

Edited by Rakete

Also verified that Blueshift is correctly identifying intersteller space with OPM and REX installed (at stock scale)

197EXSD.png

In both of my test cases, Blueshift is correctly identifying interplanetary space, so I'm not sure why you're having trouble. As soon as I leave Kerbin's SOI, I'm interplanetary, and once I'm sufficiently out past Plock, I go interstellar.

2 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Also verified that Blueshift is correctly identifying intersteller space with OPM and REX installed (at stock scale)

197EXSD.png

Your screenshot: Spatial location interstellar.... what if you are between duna and kerbin? For me it says: Interstellar, but it should be interplanetary ( not left kerbols SOI)

Edited by Rakete

2 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Your screenshot: Spatial location interstellar.... what if you are between duna and kerbin? For me it says: Interstellar, but it should be interplanetary ( not left kerbols SOI)

In my cases, I'm interplanetary. Not seeing Interstellar when between, say, Kerbin and Duna.

On 1/15/2024 at 10:59 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

In my cases, I'm interplanetary. Not seeing Interstellar when between, say, Kerbin and Duna.

Directly after leaving Kerbins SOI heading to Duna: Spatial location: Interstellar (should be interplanetary)

TJkDc8H.png

Here are my logs:

https://www.filemail.com/d/jtpofmwsykalaan

OPM is right out of the box with nothing changed.

Here is my REX-Config with slight adaptions (scaled a little so that the interplanetary speeds of BS would be sufficient for gameplay reasons).

https://www.filemail.com/d/hoabpaslxwrecwp

Happens also with all other mods uninstalled except OPM, REX and BS.

I have set no interstellar boost, so it mimicks the interplanetary speed. otherwise the vessel would go whoaaaaa upon leaving Kerbins SOI.

Edited by Rakete

@Rakete Here is my configuration with OPM and REX:

// Stock solar system
{
//	name = Eeloo
	name = Plock

starName = Sun
}

Here is where I am:

d1CZtTO.png

Here is my location:

9wIIfPi.png

Make sure that in settings.cfg, you set up the LAST_PLANET entry for Plock.

Now, here is the stock solar system, no Kopernicus, OPM, or REX:

{
	name = Eeloo

starName = Sun
}

Here's where I am:

trdZrFI.png

Here's my status:

BkauThk.png

I haven't tried your edited rex configurations, this is with the out-of-the-box mods for OPM and REX. If you're still experiencing issues with interplanetary/interstellar space after changing the LAST_PLANET config, then the fault might be in your edited config file.

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Angelo Kerman Installed REX right out of the box without any changes. Same issue.

Did you edit the settings.cfg file in Blueshift so that it has this:

// Stock solar system
{
//	name = Eeloo
	name = Plock

starName = Sun
}

14 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Did you edit the settings.cfg file in Blueshift so that it has this:

// Stock solar system
{
//	name = Eeloo
	name = Plock

starName = Sun
}

Yes i tried that.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow after clearing the MM cache now it seems to work for the Kerbol-System.

Somehow the ressource drainage reduction does not seem to work correctly. I tried extreme values like interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier =  0.0001 and 99.99  but both seem to result in the same distance until the vessel runs out of ressources.

Spatial position was interstellar.

@Angelo Kerman

Edited by Rakete

Something nice apart from any bug reports in here:

This one goes out for @Angelo Kerman for making those possible....

KSC - right before sunrise....

Right before the dawn of the new day  Victoria and Kenneth Kerman headed to the pilot's dressing room. A new era of spaceflight was right around the corner. It was the first full  integrated test flight of the Sojobo Mk III.

The engineers prepared this plane for its maiden flight to space for serveral months now. The start has been postponed again and again. (Last time some worker left his snack packaging right in the graviolium reaction chamber.)

"Are you nervous" Victoria asked.

"Not yet, but when I get into this machine for sure." Kenneth answered and scratched himself right behind the ear, like he always did when he was afraid.

"Nothing will go wrong, I promise."

"Sure, sure... at least... If we explode, our atoms will be distributed right through the Kerbol system... Bob said, we won't feel much, if that should happen... But ... I don't wanna die, you know?!"

"Zephram said, it could only go to 4,5 c.... So we are gonna keep it in a reasonable ..." Victoria said and was interrupted.

"reasonable?! Dying ain't reasonable !!! The Tengu with Rodney McKerman on board almost exploded - even with his expert knowledge in controlling the gravi intermix! The Sojobo is a Tengu on steroids!"

"You don't have to do this... But wasn't it you, who told Elsa Kerman, that you are going to be the fastest Kerbal ever?"

"Yeah... She's a sweet girl... and so are her cakes."

"You want her to bake a cake for you, aren't you?"

Kenneth smiled while thinking of Elsa's cake.

"Mmmmhhhmmm CAKE!" he daydreamed.

"Kenneth.... When we come back, there will be a huuuge cake... and snacks! We girls talk to each other, you know!?"

"It's better gonna be a monster of a cake - like those warp engines..." he smiled while he closed his space suit.

Both headed to the new warp capable vessel Sojobo Mk3. Valentina was already in the cockpit doing her pre-flight checks. "Alright... Ready to make history?" she asked, while flipping switches.  "You were having snacks with Jeb, last night, right?" Val asked. Victoria flushed green. "Not a secret. Everone in the KSC knows." Val continued. "But please make sure, your thoughts are directed to the warp core diagnostics and not to any Kwix chocolate bars you had with Jeb. I don't want this thing to fly apart. I will take us to space - you take us to Eeloo!" She sounded a like a strange mix of a professional and an deeply hurt Kerbal.

"Tower, comin' .... Tower...?"

"Copy".

"Sojobo Mk3 ready to taxing. Mission "Breakthrough 4/5 - 1" ready to go..."

"Taxing to runway confirmed. Runway clear."

Victoria muted the comlink to the tower. "Val... let's take on our snack dispute at a later point. From this moment on, let's keep it professional".

"What ya say, Vica... what ya say..... Alllllllright. Let's give this ride a launch... I kinda dislike those new nuclear drives. They tend do get very hot." Val answered while reaching the runway and aligning for take off. More switches were flipped. "Just like the simulation..." Val mumbled to herself.

"Tower.... BT 4/5-1 configured for launch. All systems clear."

"BT 4/5-1 got your telemetry.  All systems go., runway clear. All activities in the near vicinity have been suspended. We are handing you over to mission control."

"Hello... This is Zephram.... You are gonna make history. We all trust in you. You will boldly go, where no Kerbal has gone before. You are going to break the 4c threshold... Best of luck! The pile of the snacks will be waiting for you. And for now, I am honoured to say: "BT 4/5-1 clearance to launch!

Vica muted the coms again... "Zephram himself, eh? Let's hope, that this is a good omen." Val nodded, while Kenneth rose his eyebrows.

"Let's go...."Val pushed the thrust lever with a determination, that barely finds a match. The atomic engines ramped up their thust with a screaming noise due the huge amounts of super heated gases pushed out of the exhausts. Right in that moment the sun rose slightly above the horizon.... a historic moment...

---------------------

Now to the technical point of view.... 2 Warp-SSTOs.

May I introduce: The Tengu Mk III

W3Z14VV.png

Something I worked on quite a while to balance it right [so that I does not become unflyable unstable when completely empty].

It reaches 3,43c (interplanetary, full of fuel) with a 5* engineer on board. It uses the KARE-Mod by @JadeOfMaar to get to orbit and be propelled in space traditionally. And yes, the fins at the ends of the warp coils are unfortunately necessary to keep it stable when completely dry.

And here The Sojobo Mk III (the god of the tengu) - It is the next evolution step of the Tengu Class SSTOs:

DdcyMF3.png

VubxJ3E.png

Two badboys of aux-generators drive this vessel to (for an SSTO) insane 4,55c (interplanetary, full of fuel) with a 5* engineer on board.

The cockpit is from the Prakasa mod.... Some radiator intercoolers from the Heatcontrol mod by @Nertea. And of cause the wings from procedural wings mod by @linuxgurugamer. Some linear dockingport under the belly is from on of nerteas mods. I guess it was NF Construction and some RTGs by NF Electrical...

Craft files here: If somebody wants them. https://www.filemail.com/d/ljnkbkuoweafpie (available for 7 days from now on...)

Flight instructions in the ingame vessel description - unfortunately in german... but you manage it, if you really want... Have fun...

Both are meant to be proof of concept vessel made by Zephram Kochrane as part of his Warp 5 program. :D They are only made for interplanetary travel. Please do not leave your homesystem with them, unless you have docked some additional gravi and LqDeut-Tanks under the belly after reaching space. Both are the research results of my first warp flight, the rocket launched Relativity I mission, which reached roughly 3c but was not reuseable.

May i deliver a nice soundtrack for their launches ?! Here you are: Have fun !!!

Edited by Rakete

9 hours ago, Rakete said:

Somehow after clearing the MM cache now it seems to work for the Kerbol-System.

Somehow the ressource drainage reduction does not seem to work correctly. I tried extreme values like interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier =  0.0001 and 99.99  but both seem to result in the same distance until the vessel runs out of ressources.

Spatial position was interstellar.

@Angelo Kerman

Yeah, it looks like the consumption multiplier isn't being computed properly. I've got a fix in progress.

4 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Yeah, it looks like the consumption multiplier isn't being computed properly. I've got a fix in progress.

Good morning,

Yeah. Seems like that. But a question on the mechanism behind it: Is it a multiplier so that smaller values close to zero result in less consumption? Or is it a value by how much the consumption is reduced, so that bigger values closer to 99.999 result in less consumption?

5 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Those ships look great!

Many an hour went into those. The main issue was to keep them balanced due to the KARE-Engines are exceptional heavy and don't need that muxh fuel - only for vacuum flight.... they nicely fit the purpose, but made it difficult to balance that vessel aerodynamicly when dry. I loved the challenge. 

(So if anyone wants them, just pick the craftfiles... once they are in space they go wheeeeeeeee!! 

As for the mods, you may need to install them temporarily, remove the parts you don't want, and remove the not needed mods again...) 

Both vessels should have about 2.400 m/s dV when reaching orbit for conventional propulsion.

Edited by Rakete

9 hours ago, Rakete said:

Good morning,

Yeah. Seems like that. But a question on the mechanism behind it: Is it a multiplier so that smaller values close to zero result in less consumption? Or is it a value by how much the consumption is reduced, so that bigger values closer to 99.999 result in less consumption?

Many an hour went into those. The main issue was to keep them balanced due to the KARE-Engines are exceptional heavy and don't need that muxh fuel - only for vacuum flight.... they nicely fit the purpose, but made it difficult to balance that vessel aerodynamicly when dry. I loved the challenge. 

(So if anyone wants them, just pick the craftfiles... once they are in space they go wheeeeeeeee!! 

As for the mods, you may need to install them temporarily, remove the parts you don't want, and remove the not needed mods again...) 

Both vessels should have about 2.400 m/s dV when reaching orbit for conventional propulsion.

It's a value by how much consumption is reduced. So a value of 99.99 means that the consumption rate is reduced by 99.99%. For instance, on the S-3 "Star Frontier" Warp Engine, it consumes 0.01 units of Graviolioum per second. With the interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier set to 10, you'd expect that the consumption rate multiplier would be 1 - (10/100) = 0.9, and that's what I see. So, in interstellar space, the Star Frontier should consume 0.01 * 0.9 = 0.009 units/sec of Graviolium. The problem I'm running into is floating point rounding; that 0.01 units is showing up as 0.009999999.... and with a 10% reduction, it gives a consumption rate of 0.008999991....

Effectively, there's no difference with a 10% reduction due to floating point errors.

I tried the other end of the spectrum, and set interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier to 90. Once I figured out that Blueshift wasn't properly reading the interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier override, I quickly fixed that and verified that the 90% reduction is working.

Anyway, the fix is here, and the new default reduction is 25%.

2 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

It's a value by how much consumption is reduced. So a value of 99.99 means that the consumption rate is reduced by 99.99%. For instance, on the S-3 "Star Frontier" Warp Engine, it consumes 0.01 units of Graviolioum per second. With the interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier set to 10, you'd expect that the consumption rate multiplier would be 1 - (10/100) = 0.9, and that's what I see. So, in interstellar space, the Star Frontier should consume 0.01 * 0.9 = 0.009 units/sec of Graviolium. The problem I'm running into is floating point rounding; that 0.01 units is showing up as 0.009999999.... and with a 10% reduction, it gives a consumption rate of 0.008999991....

Effectively, there's no difference with a 10% reduction due to floating point errors.

I tried the other end of the spectrum, and set interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier to 90. Once I figured out that Blueshift wasn't properly reading the interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier override, I quickly fixed that and verified that the 90% reduction is working.

Anyway, the fix is here, and the new default reduction is 25%.

I will test the fix within the next days... please don't expect a fix confirmation until next weekend. A workload-heavy week is ahead, so I guess, I'll fall asleep, after work :-/

• 2 weeks later...