Retired Crew

eberkain

Is there a mod that allows crew to retire?  

Retired crew would no longer be able to go on missions, but you could still see their stats in mods like Final Frontier.

Barring that, is there a mod to allow me to rename kerbals? 

Edited by eberkain

On 11/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, theJesuit said:

Is this the place yo have a discussion on how old they should be to retire?

I would assume there should be some configuration options if we are talking about a potential mod.  I like how the options on CrewR&R work where you can customize the length of time.  For me, playing science mode with kerbal xp disabled and using KCT. I'm thinking 5 years of service would be appropriate for a kerbal to then retire from active astronaut duty.  A button to manually force retirement might also be used. 

22 hours ago, flart said:

TRP-Hire, Ship Manifest.

Ship Manifest might not play nice with Kerbalism since it does so many different things.  TRP-Hire, I will have to take another look at it.  I remember that mod, but it was a long time ago. 

2 hours ago, eberkain said:

I would assume there should be some configuration options if we are talking about a potential mod.  I like how the options on CrewR&R work where you can customize the length of time.  For me, playing science mode with kerbal xp disabled and using KCT. I'm thinking 5 years of service would be appropriate for a kerbal to then retire from active astronaut duty.  A button to manually force retirement might also be used. 

Ship Manifest might not play nice with Kerbalism since it does so many different things.  TRP-Hire, I will have to take another look at it.  I remember that mod, but it was a long time ago. 

5 years isn't long enough for some missions.   I'd boost it up to 20 years or 25 years. 

42 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

5 years isn't long enough for some missions.   I'd boost it up to 20 years or 25 years. 

Well, you wouldn't retire them in the middle of a mission, but if they spend more than 5 years out on a mission then I'd say they should retire when they get home.  I don't think I have ever stuck with a single playthrough to 20+ years. 

On 11/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, eberkain said:

Well, you wouldn't retire them in the middle of a mission, but if they spend more than 5 years out on a mission then I'd say they should retire when they get home.  I don't think I have ever stuck with a single playthrough to 20+ years. 

This is basically how Bureaucracy works (by default) for reference:

• Kerbals effectively only move closer to retirement while sitting at home waiting to go on mission
  • When a kerbal returns from a mission, they get an extension to their retirement age based on the mission length (off the top of my head, I think they get given half the mission length)
  • For Kerbals on missions, while technically the timer is ticking down, they will never retire while on a mission, and they get the mission time credited back to them plus the extension period, so effectively they won't retire while on mission.

This is all configurable of course, I think if you set the extension multiplier to 0 then they won't get their time credited back, but I'd need to check that.

While I appreciate this isn't the most realistic way to handle it, Kerbals can only level up on mission by default, so it's annoying to have Jeb go out to Duna, get his 5 stars only to hang up his boots the moment he returns.

If i get time, I'll mock up a prototype today, I may also move the training stuff over too due to the above limitations on Kerbal training.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.