What simple options/settings could/should be set at initial startup?

linuxgurugamer

One default that always bugs me is when I get to docking and off-world assembly: docking alignment. Stock has always had an alignment function built in but it's unused, and if turned on, there's no UI anywhere that you can choose your own angle limit. So I tend to ensure to have this MM patch and I set it to 30deg (snapOffset) and I keep the offset margin (the value of captureMinRollDot) at its default equivalent to 1deg. If I was to implement this as a mod, I'd have 15deg be the default.

// Add angle snapping to all Docking ports (12 increments as on Squad's textures)
// Author: Psycho_zs
@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		// If you want X degrees margin, use cos(0.5*X) as captureMinRollDot
		// 0.5 degrees = 0.99999048
		// 1 degree    = 0.99996192
		// 2 degrees   = 0.9998477
		// 3 degrees   = 0.99965732
		captureMinRollDot = 0.99996192
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 30
	}
}

Stock angle snap will both reduce the need for stock docking port rotation, and make it more useful (provided the rotation range can be boosted beyond +/- 15deg).

DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED = False

And any other poorly-implemented, performance-hogging "features" that can be crippled for those of us with low-end machines.

The stock maneuver node editor / orbital info gags my machine as well, but I don't know if there's a way to turn it off.

9 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

And any other poorly-implemented, performance-hogging "features" that can be crippled for those of us with low-end machines.

The stock maneuver node editor / orbital info gags my machine as well, but I don't know if there's a way to turn it off.

Are you suggesting that it SHOULD be set to false?

Or maybe have different modes?  Performance mode, Potato mode, etc?

11 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Just curious (since my mighty OCed i5-3570K @ 4.1 GHz rules), what does that option actually turn off, and does it really help performance?

For years I've used this long-running thread with simple Module Manager patches for a number of issues (and of course there's Patch Manager!)

For instance I always want fairings patched at default for more ejection force + use clamshell mode + turn nodes off + turn trusses off.  Similar defaults for less decoupler/docking port force, radial decoupler crossfeed off by default, cabin lights consume EC, hibernate probe cores in time warp to auto, EVA lights on when starting EVA, and others.

Other issues I consistently change in my games: my-default settings for plane landing gear (forward of COM: brakes 50%, friction control override 2.0, steering on; aft of COM, brakes 95%, friction control 4.0, steering off), landing gear lights on Gear action group not Lights, some attachment node tweaks (for instance the Mk7 nose cone always needs to be moved aft a tick)

Making History has a bunch of just plain bugs that need patch-fixed.  The ludicrous center of mass on the MEM lander pod, problems in the SM-25 service module, various drag cubes and drag shielding fixes that have been offered in the MH subforum

Robotics could use a good bugpatch/default-action pass.  For instance reducing the default damping seems to help a lot of problems.  Setting up props and rotors is complex enough to warrant a 18-page PDF - when many of the tweaks are the same each time (assigning action groups for props and motors, applying a default 90-turn to props, getting around mirror symmetry bugs, etc)

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

what does that option actually turn off, and does it really help performance?

That's the stock dV applet (since KSP 1.7) which shows all the important info and control sliders for your dV and TWR (and which enables this info in the staging list). You don't need these much if you rely on KER or VOID, or if you use DMagic's Basic dV and Basic Orbit (which hijacks the stock UI and turns off stock dV). Note that there are several players who have seen KER to be unreliable and will count on stock.

7 minutes ago, fourfa said:

cabin lights consume EC, hibernate probe cores in time warp to auto, EVA lights on when starting EVA, and others.

Other issues I consistently change in my games: my-default settings for plane landing gear (forward of COM: brakes 50%, friction control override 2.0, steering on; aft of COM, brakes 95%, friction control 4.0, steering off), landing gear lights on Gear action group not Lights

All of these, actually. :o (I haven't gone this far with airplane wheel settings as I haven't understood them, but I totally agree with brake strength aft of CoM.)

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's the stock dV applet (since KSP 1.7) which shows all the important info and control sliders for your dV and TWR (and which enables this info in the staging list). You don't need these much if you rely on KER or VOID, or if you use DMagic's Basic dV and Basic Orbit (which hijacks the stock UI and turns off stock dV). Note that there are several players who have seen KER to be unreliable and will count on stock.

Thanks.
I loved VOID but has been growing dependent on KER,

I'll keep the stock on, at least for a while.
(Since my mighty ... and so on ...)

I wonder if it's possible to set some things permanent. Like default sorting in VAB set to size or mass, creating new stages while they're extended would make that new one extended as well, as currently it doesn't, and have the staging always extended. I got APPLE mod to help with some minor annoyances but haven't seen anything that would help with the above.

How about: when collecting data from a Science Jr or Mystery Goo on EVA - if the kerbal is a Scientist, they automatically reset the experiment instead of waiting for the user to click the Restore button

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you suggesting that it SHOULD be set to false?

Or maybe have different modes?  Performance mode, Potato mode, etc?

Yes. I'd love preset modes focused on performance. I think that would help out a lot of people.

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Just curious (since my mighty OCed i5-3570K @ 4.1 GHz rules), what does that option actually turn off, and does it really help performance?

I don't want to get this excellent thread off track, but it prevents KSP from calculating the dV at all, and it costs me 5%-10% of my framerate. Separately, the stock maneuver node editor opens whenever you make a maneuver node, and it makes my computer hiccup about half as badly as destroying a building. I don't want stock features enabled that cost me performance when KER and MJ already do it better and more efficiently.

FYI: i5 mobile, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, integrated graphics. For reference I get about double the framerate in 1.3.1 as I do in more recent versions.

14 hours ago, fourfa said:

For years I've used this long-running thread with simple Module Manager patches for a number of issues (and of course there's Patch Manager!)

I know about it and have used it.

What I'm exploring here is more in the line of stuff which can't be addressed with a MM patch.  Discussing the MM patches is good and may lead to something, but I'm (obviously) thinking about a mod for some things

Idk if it's related to this thread, but a key switch "run/walk instantly = on/off", to let the bailed-out Kerbal just run/swim around the planet to the KSC.

Or just to have foot trips on the Mun while you are busy in the kitchen.

• 6 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 3:23 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Hi there, as I'm doing a "final-final" install of KSP 1.12 and going through settings, I was hoping to gain consensus for DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED and whether it's worth setting to "False".

Although I'm necro'ing a thread, this one is the most recent that references this (of only two on the forum), so hopefully this will serve others who might be questioning this choice as well.

21 hours ago, scottadges said:

I was hoping to gain consensus for DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED and whether it's worth setting to "False".

Funny that you bring this up. I would say it's not worthwhile to turn this off. You may be a fortunate one where dV readouts from mods are better...But for those who aren't, (and the situation may change at anytime) you'd be unknowingly doing yourself an injustice if you turn it off and the dV mod decides to lie to you.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.