Felipe Falanghe (HarvesteR) interview

Spaceman.Spiff

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Saw this article from PCGamer. Thought it was interesting. Also learned some new bits of KSP history. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-creator-looks-back-on-leaving-it-behind-the-hardest-thing-ive-had-to-do-in-my-whole-life/

Kerbal Aviation Program? Huh I kind of want to see that, oh well.

15 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Kerbal Aviation Program? Huh I kind of want to see that, oh well.

That would be fun. 

6 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

but that's already been done.

I dunno, I think it would be unique to have a game with Kerbal-style progression centered around aircraft. 

Plus I think it would be cool to have HarvesteR’s idea for a KSP prequel fulfilled. 

Isn't this a two-year-old interview?  From when Balsa was about to go the Early Access.  PC Gamer seems to have just popped it to the top of the page for some fresh clicks

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

As a matter of fact, I don't.

We already have X-Plane, FlightGear and many others.

No offense, but that's already been done.

I haven't ever played those - do they have the ability to design a craft from the ground up, in-game?  I thought all the existing flight sims have more of unlock-new-craft gameplay, not a design/engineering mode

Balsa doesn't have that unique charm that the Falanghe era of KSP had. It would have much more flavour if you could strap miniature Kerbals in, or find other Kerbals flying their RC aircraft. Textures suggesting that the parts have been thrown together would also go a long way to fulfilling that charm KSP had.

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

Isn't this a two-year-old interview?  From when Balsa was about to go the Early Access.  PC Gamer seems to have just popped it to the top of the page for some fresh clicks

I haven't ever played those - do they have the ability to design a craft from the ground up, in-game?  I thought all the existing flight sims have more of unlock-new-craft gameplay, not a design/engineering mode

No. X-Plane for instance allows for build from scratch, with actually correct aerodynamics.

21 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Balsa doesn't have that unique charm that the Falanghe era of KSP had. It would have much more flavour if you could strap miniature Kerbals in, or find other Kerbals flying their RC aircraft. Textures suggesting that the parts have been thrown together would also go a long way to fulfilling that charm KSP had.

Which you can actually do, in fact.  There are Action Figures - And these, in a Toy-Story-Esque way, are how you accumulate the glory of missions you do and combat victories and such. All such accolades are credited to these little guys, and you wouldn't wanna lose a plane that had your favorite hero aboard (even if it should cost more to recover it out of the sea than to build a new one)

Balsa does feature realistic flight dynamics and a build-from-parts interface that should be very familiar to any KSP fan.   

Unlike its predecessor, Balsa has multiplayer as a core part of the game, and thus you may pit your aircraft designs against others in RC dogfights (yes, you can shoot ppl's planes to bits) or race them, do stunts and airshows and whatnot.  There is a very flexible mission editor built in, so you can have your way with it as you like.  

Similarly, you can actually custom paint your aircraft so that they look however you please.

Anyways,  This interview is actually quite recent (last week as of this post) - It mentions Balsa having been released previously as a VR-focused title, but since then things have come a loooong way. It's a whole new game now, and you won't need a fancy VR set to enjoy it. (though it'll be supported again later)

And you can take my word for it, of course, because this time, I'm officially involved with development.

Edited by Moach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.