[1.8+] Procedural Parts

NathanKell

On 9/16/2021 at 8:55 PM, Tommy99534 said:

I'm having a problem with procedural parts, it's caused by some incompatibility with another mod but I can't figure out which one. In the editor when I click on any section that has a procedural part in it the menu becomes stuck on whatever tab I was currently viewing and doesn't switch. IE if I'm on command pods and click on fuel tanks the menu stays stuck on command pods and won't change to fuel tanks unless I force it to update by clicking on a different sorting method. Furthermore the procedural parts themselves are completely broken. Here is my mod list and player log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vfj_wq3ABkTIdMlfuPJ0xMs5-EvQhAUB/view?usp=sharing

Looks like a tank is using a shape name or another data field that is "null" for some reason. This would indicate some bad configs somewhere, but I have no idea where since any mod can add configs. Does the freezing happen if you try to switch to decouplers for example, or is it only fuel tanks?

Edited by Stonesmile

On 9/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, Stonesmile said:

This should fix the dimensions issue

It did! But does this mean the procedural parts are only fully available in sandbox mode? I recall using them in carreer too.

Edit: actually after I reloaded the carreer file the full dimension customization is available! Thanks

Edited by johnjob

On 9/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Stonesmile said:

Looks like a tank is using a shape name or another data field that is "null" for some reason. This would indicate some bad configs somewhere, but I have no idea where since any mod can add configs. Does the freezing happen if you try to switch to decouplers for example, or is it only fuel tanks?

alright i've done much more comprehensive testing this time. logs below

"freezing" in the editor only occurs when clicking on fuel tanks. i clicked on all other categories and had no issues with menu switching but as soon as i clicked on fuel tanks it would become stuck unless i changed sorting categories, and this problem would remain editor-wide until leaving and reentering the VAB/SPH. that is, once i clicked on fuel tanks, clicking on any other category would result in the same "freezing" issue with the menu.

as for the parts themselves, all of them are functional *except* for for the liquid fuel tank and the gas tank, which both remained completely empty no matter what. i've included an album of screenshots below showing exactly which parts worked and which didnt. i've included a screenshot of my complete gamedata folder to show any non-CKAN mods that are missed by the .ckan file

one minor "issue" that seems to be unrelated to this is that the nose cone part does not allow for diameters smaller than 0.625m. not sure if this is a feature or a bug. i have enabled unlock all part upgrades so that's not the issue.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/ET0XuTz

logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hG-0KBmtqiG_KFZQwnecKaudUXAyr_Fv/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Tommy99534

14 minutes ago, Tommy99534 said:

alright i've done much more comprehensive testing this time. logs below

"freezing" in the editor only occurs when clicking on fuel tanks. i clicked on all other categories and had no issues with menu switching but as soon as i clicked on fuel tanks it would become stuck unless i changed sorting categories, and this problem would remain editor-wide until leaving and reentering the VAB/SPH. that is, once i clicked on fuel tanks, clicking on any other category would result in the same "freezing" issue with the menu.

as for the parts themselves, all of them are functional *except* for for the liquid fuel tank and the gas tank, which both remained completely empty no matter what. i've included an album of screenshots below showing exactly which parts worked and which didnt.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/ET0XuTz

logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hG-0KBmtqiG_KFZQwnecKaudUXAyr_Fv/view?usp=sharing

The editor freezing only when you switch to the fuel tanks further indicate that there is some config for a fuel tank part that is messed up, since there are Proc Parts in other categories (decoupling for example). Only tip I have for finding out which mod is to blame, is to create a new install where you install some mods at a time until the issue re-appears.

5 hours ago, Stonesmile said:

The editor freezing only when you switch to the fuel tanks further indicate that there is some config for a fuel tank part that is messed up, since there are Proc Parts in other categories (decoupling for example). Only tip I have for finding out which mod is to blame, is to create a new install where you install some mods at a time until the issue re-appears.

figured it out, the problem is rational resources

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to store patterns for quick application, beyond the "store pattern" and "load pattern" buttons? I'd like to be able to jump into the VAB and not have to recreate my favorite settings.

Also, to clarify, the mods which add textures, those just dictate where the colors go, not what the colors are.

Finally, great mod. Are there plans to add procedural girders, panels, and beams?

Edited by Imosa

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Imosa said:

Is there a way to store patterns for quick application, beyond the "store pattern" and "load pattern" buttons? I'd like to be able to jump into the VAB and not have to recreate my favorite settings.

Also, to clarify, the mods which add textures, those just dictate where the colors go, not what the colors are.

Finally, great mod. Are there plans to add procedural girders, panels, and beams?

The first question seems to relate to Textures Unlimited, if I understand it correctly. You can create new preset colors through MM configs, but I do not think you can save the entire layout of colors on the part, since that varies a lot between what part TU is operating on. (Might be best to ask on TU's forum thread?)

Regarding the second question, the main limiting factor to adding more shapes is that the UI slider for the shapes is not ideal for adding a lot more shapes, so a better system for that might be needed in the future. The current polygon shape set to 4 sides should be able to act as a beam though. Different mods, like B9ProceduralWings or CarnationRedFlexibleParts might be able to create some shapes currently lacking.

(Sorry for late reply)

Hi! Thank you for your mod.

I have a problem. I've downloaded lastest PP release from github, and I have an issue -- my procedural tanks and procedural SRB's don''t work, they even don't showing in parts HUD, like they are non existable in the game.

Also, have you got future plans for PP? Like adding procedural structural trusses maybe?  ;)

4 hours ago, WhatALovelyNick said:

Hi! Thank you for your mod.

I have a problem. I've downloaded lastest PP release from github, and I have an issue -- my procedural tanks and procedural SRB's don''t work, they even don't showing in parts HUD, like they are non existable in the game.

Also, have you got future plans for PP? Like adding procedural structural trusses maybe?  ;)

Are you sure you got release? The code in the github repository is not compiled, so make sure to get a release from here.

I have some ideas for shapes that can be added, but the current UI is not ideal for adding a lot of shapes, see this message;

On 10/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, Stonesmile said:

Regarding the second question, the main limiting factor to adding more shapes is that the UI slider for the shapes is not ideal for adding a lot more shapes, so a better system for that might be needed in the future.

24 minutes ago, Stonesmile said:

Are you sure you got release? The code in the github repository is not compiled, so make sure to get a release from here.

Yes, I am. I have the same release.

27 minutes ago, Stonesmile said:

Regarding the second question, the main limiting factor to adding more shapes is that the UI slider for the shapes is not ideal for adding a lot more shapes, so a better system for that might be needed in the future.

So... There is a possibility, that sometimes we can get procedural structural trusses like that? Or even funnel-shaped?

20 minutes ago, WhatALovelyNick said:

So... There is a possibility, that sometimes we can get procedural structural trusses like that? Or even funnel-shaped?

While such a unique shape is mathematically possible, it is likely too specific to be useful to enough people to warrant implementing it.

One idea for the install issue; have you tried using CKAN?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Limiting the size of the tanks to small fractions of vanilla tank sizes almost completely removes the utility of this mod and ruins it completely. 

You are removing utility from your mod just because some people might abuse this every now and again as a "cheat" 

10 hours ago, Joshuawood said:

Limiting the size of the tanks to small fractions of vanilla tank sizes almost completely removes the utility of this mod and ruins it completely. 

You are removing utility from your mod just because some people might abuse this every now and again as a "cheat" 

The tech limits are configurable, so if you think they are bad for your career, you can change them like this

I'm making configs for procedural tanks to use custom resources, by adding additional TANK_TYPE_OPTION settings. Can I make part unlocks (make the new options unlockable through the tech tree) for these settings? How?

Also, how does costMultiplier work? It seems to behave differently between liquid fuel tanks and the other tanks (xenon, SRB, MonoPropellant)

Edited by mateusviccari

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else had issues with the procedural USI LS supplies tank that gets enabled with this? Trying to make a supply craft and every time i reload it all the supply tanks break and reset their size.  Found something about having latest modulemanager, which did "fix" this yesterday, but now that ive restarted the game again it has reoccurred
https://imgur.com/a/APvbzWz

• 1 month later...

Some Ideas:

1) In addition to the specific heatshield part; could you change it so any part we make can be set to "ablator", adding to the mass, and maybe reduce internal volume?  This way any part we make; tanks, batteries, nose cones, etc. can all have an ablative coating on it.  Thus, making them survive reentry better.  

2) Can we possibly get a compatibility setting for "Configurable Containers" to do the content switching?  This mod already has very robust content switching, and would further enhance the "procedural" nature of this mod by allowing us to create whatever type of tank we want.  This could be made as optional, and only be enabled if CC is installed.  

3) Can we get a "shape" for MK2 and MK3 parts?

4) And lastly what about storage tanks/crew compartments?  Just take the volume and calculate how many inventory slots or seats this would have.  no need for windows, there are mods out there to add windows to them if we really want them.

This is one of the mods I must have in any save I make, and these ideas keep coming up in things I build, so it would be great to see these implemented.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am running into a strange problem with  Tweakscale.  I am not sure if it is a tweakscale issue or an interaction with procedural parts.  I am running a 1.12.3 RO/RP-1 install and this issue  only presents itself when Tweakscale is added to the  install. 

If a procedural part is the initial root part added to a craft then the attach nodes are offset from the part.  If you add another of the same procedural part than the attach nods are in the proper place.  If you make the second  procedural part the root part and delete the original procedural part the attach nodes stay where they are supposed to be.  

In the second case if the initial root part placed in the VAB is not a procedural part  all of the nodes are where they are  supposed to be and if you add a procedural part then the added procedural part has its nodes exactly where they are supposed to be.  

RO/RP-1 messes with the base part scales compared to stock KSP so I am not sure if that has something to do with it.  It is just strange that it only seems to impact an initial root part from the procedural parts mod.

23 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

RO/RP-1 messes with the base part scales compared to stock KSP so I am not sure if that has something to do with it.  It is just strange that it only seems to impact an initial root part from the procedural parts mod.

It's actually ProcParts that changes the scales of parts in ROhere, but this shouldn't be part of the issue since that doesn't scale the parts, it changes the starting dimensions of the part. This problem should be present even without RO or any of its dependencies and is likely just due to interaction between tweakscale and ProcPart.

Edited by Stonesmile

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.