No Shortage of Dreams | A KSP Skylab Alternative History

Skylab 14 | SLM-13 | STS-21 | February 13-22 | 1985

Orbiter: OV-099 | Challenger

Entering the year 1985, Challenger starts it off with Phase 4 of the Skylab Reuse program with the delivery of the permanent Spacelab module. Built by the European Space Agency, this Spacelab module is modified for permanent attachment with Skylab, once Phase 4's goals are complete those of which include Science Pallet Spacelab installation, new airlock installation, and thermal shield wrap it will allow crew to stay onboard for months and crew rotations which haven't been seen since Skylab 2-4. Phase 4 will demonstrate key features in unmanned and manned technology for NASA.

After Skylab 14, Skylab 15 launched by Discovery which is the Orbiters first entry into the Skylab program will deliver the thermal shield wrap and strongback truss. The thermal shield will keep Skylab at a cool temperature and shield Skylab from solar activities, the strongback truss is for supporting the future Service Truss Platform on Skylab planned to begin construction in 1986, TRS spacecrafts will rendezvous with a satellite and dock it to STP allowing an easier platform for the servicing of satellites and removing the need of costly separate launches. NASA stated this platform will allow the servicing of the upcoming Hubble Space Telescope scheduled to launch within a year. Canada is also building a RMS for the STP.

With challenges arising for the USAF with their space program, SRB-X currently has higher than originally projected costs due to using a Centaur and Titan stage, this has brought Boeing to study a Next Generation Upper Stage for SRB-X hoping to reduce costs, the USAF has also stated that they hope SRB-X can help with future resupply missions to Skylab.

screenshot286.png?width=1200&height=675

Challenger ready for a significant mission in America's space program with the Moon watching her.

screenshot279.png

screenshot304.png

screenshot313.png

Liftoff of Space Shuttle Challenger!

screenshot319.png

Challenger soaring on track to Skylab

screenshot331.png

screenshot330.png

screenshot335.png

Solid Rocket Booster separation.

screenshot339.png

Challenger starting her roll

screenshot343.png

screenshot350.png

External Tank separation nominal

screenshot359.png

Challenger's payload bay opens revealing the permanent Spacelab module.

screenshot367.png

screenshot376.png

Rendezvous burn.

screenshot383.png

Arrival at Skylab awaiting Spacelab deployment

screenshot403.png

image.png

TRS releases Spacelab and begins docking procedures

image.png

TRS docks Spacelab to MDIM and Challenger docks with Skylab. 

screenshot429.png

screenshot440.png

screenshot485.png

screenshot489.png

image.png

TRS undocks and maneuvers to dock with PM for power transfer demonstrations, a key use in future Teleoperator servicing missions

screenshot554.png

neptune_2023_5_5_12_37_19_139_a3ff5cb6.png

View of the Spacelab module from Challenger's payload bay camera.

screenshot569.png

Undocking

screenshot580.png

screenshot585.png

screenshot589.png

Hours after departing from Skylab, Challenger landed smoothly at KSC SLF marking the end of Skylab 14. The achievements of this mission have been met with global applause as it has demonstrated a significant step in international cooperation.

Edited by TruthfulGnome

How did you get the new docking adapter module to look like that? The one included in BDB is far, far skinnier. I'm guessing that you kitbashed it together, but I can't find parts in BDB that would fit that size.

Skylab 15 | SLM-14 | STS-22 | March 11-20 | 1985

The Coat

Happy 50th Skylab anniversary in our timeline! and one year of this thread!

Orbiter: OV-103 | Discovery 

Continuing shortly after Skylab 14, Space Shuttle Discovery will begin her first flight into the Skylab program helping speed up Skylab Reuse missions while Columbia is down for maintenance and onwards. On this mission Skylab 15 will deliver the fabric thermal shield and strong back truss, on EVA-1 Discovery's crew will begin attaching the strong back clamps to support the fabric shield and the future service truss. Once completing EVA-1, the crew will undeploy the famous parasol that once saved this faithful Skylab program from the OWS allowing shield wrapping. On EVA-2 the crew will begin stretching the shield around the OWS and tighten the cables to add rigidity to the structure. In the future if needed, this assembly will allow the attachment of LDEF experiment trays laid across the shield requiring EVAs with a Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU) to retrieve these trays, if NASA goes through with LDEF trays, the trays will have years of lifetime onboard the station. 

image.png?width=1078&height=675

Martin Marietta has begun studying the possibility of docking an External Tank to the Skylab station as a technology demonstrator for the next space station after Skylab, the Orbiter would stay attached to the External Tank modified with a docking port in the LOX nose and berth to an APAS node, in this study Martin Marietta has also stated a Centaur stage could refuel at the ET and be reused for GEO or Lunar satellite missions.

screenshot1144.png

Discovery in her unique livery awaiting her flight.

screenshot1153.png

screenshot1168.png

screenshot1180.png

Liftoff of Space Shuttle Discovery! a new Orbiter in the Skylab program!

screenshot1183.png

screenshot1191.png

Pitch program.

screenshot1186.png

screenshot1196.png

screenshot1202.png

Booster sep

screenshot1204.png

screenshot1211.png

screenshot1213.png

Discovery belly down roll complete.

screenshot1219.png

External Tank sep

screenshot1223.png

Orbit circularization 

screenshot1237.png

screenshot1241.png

screenshot1246.png

screenshot1250.png

Rendezvous burn

screenshot1268.png

screenshot1276.png

screenshot1284.png

Soft dock

screenshot1288.png

Hard dock to Skylab confirmed.

screenshot1289.png

screenshot1363.png?width=1200&height=675

image.png

Parasol being undeployed from inside.

screenshot1320.png

After parasol undeployment Discovery's crew will remain in Discovery as the OWS temps begin to rise.

screenshot1339.png

image.png

Thermal shield and truss strong back attached to Skylab after EVA-2 

screenshot1789.png

Skylab now returning to normal temperatures

screenshot1765.png

screenshot1807.png

Skylab's fresh coat

screenshot1815.png

Discovery leaves Skylab and lands at Edwards Airforce Base shortly after ending a significant mission.

Edited by TruthfulGnome

On 5/15/2023 at 12:22 AM, LucalisIndustries said:

This is going hard, I can't wait to see what happens with the ET

If I recall correctly, they planned to use it as a hangar of sorts. So, I'm guessing they'd probably have some cutting done in orbit to remove one of the ends. Maybe they'd use the LH2 tank for the hangar and then the smaller LOX tank for a pressurized module for crews to work in. It could probably be done with Near Future Launch Vehicles' cargo bays - I was able to replicate a "close enough" sized structure with it. Though, the real problem is figuring out just how on earth it's supposed to attach to SkyLab; I haven't been able to find any drawings or anything anywhere that could give me a clue, so it will probably involve a fair amount of creativity from @TruthfulGnome- but, seeing how well the rest of their work has turned out so far, I have no doubt they can pull it off.

6 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

If I recall correctly, they planned to use it as a hangar of sorts. So, I'm guessing they'd probably have some cutting done in orbit to remove one of the ends. Maybe they'd use the LH2 tank for the hangar and then the smaller LOX tank for a pressurized module for crews to work in. It could probably be done with Near Future Launch Vehicles' cargo bays - I was able to replicate a "close enough" sized structure with it. Though, the real problem is figuring out just how on earth it's supposed to attach to SkyLab; I haven't been able to find any drawings or anything anywhere that could give me a clue, so it will probably involve a fair amount of creativity from @TruthfulGnome- but, seeing how well the rest of their work has turned out so far, I have no doubt they can pull it off.

From all of the studies I've seen I have not seen a mention of the ET being used as a hangar and as of currently I don't have plans for it being used as an hangar but I do have some fun things in mind.

4 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What would it be a hangar for? Docking can be done in the open. 

A hangar would mostly protect said spacecrafts inside 

20 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

If I recall correctly, they planned to use it as a hangar of sorts. So, I'm guessing they'd probably have some cutting done in orbit to remove one of the ends. Maybe they'd use the LH2 tank for the hangar and then the smaller LOX tank for a pressurized module for crews to work in

this is so crazy that i absolutely love it

15 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

From all of the studies I've seen I have not seen a mention of the ET being used as a hangar and as of currently I don't have plans for it being used as an hangar but I do have some fun things in mind

oh, well, anyways it gonna be interesting!!

19 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

From all of the studies I've seen I have not seen a mention of the ET being used as a hangar and as of currently I don't have plans for it being used as an hangar but I do have some fun things in mind.

A hangar would mostly protect said spacecrafts inside 

I've seen it mentioned in a document about general repurposing of the shuttle's tank, among other things like using it for the body of a space telescope or as an orbital fuel depot, along with the aft cargo carrier concept. I have seen some mentions in the BDB documentation about a shuttle external tank with Skylab.

For general tank reuse stuff, I recommend reading through the Space Studies Institute's report on it: https://ssi.org/reading/ssi-report-on-tank-applications/ 
If that page is awkward to read it on, here's just a normal PDF version: https://ssi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ssi_externaltanks_gimarc.pdf

There's also plenty of things on the No Shortage Of Dreams blog (IIRC earlier you said this had no relation with it) that talk about ET utilization: https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2023/03/space-shuttle-external-tank-et.html

And via Astronautix: http://www.astronautix.com/s/stsexternaltankstation.html

Judging by the graphics you used in the post above with the new solar shield, I'm betting you've read this document, but if you haven't: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19790011998/downloads/19790011998.pdf It's worth reading!

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

I've seen it mentioned in a document about general repurposing of the shuttle's tank, among other things like using it for the body of a space telescope or as an orbital fuel depot, along with the aft cargo carrier concept. I have seen some mentions in the BDB documentation about a shuttle external tank with Skylab.

For general tank reuse stuff, I recommend reading through the Space Studies Institute's report on it: https://ssi.org/reading/ssi-report-on-tank-applications/ 
If that page is awkward to read it on, here's just a normal PDF version: https://ssi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ssi_externaltanks_gimarc.pdf

There's also plenty of things on the No Shortage Of Dreams blog (IIRC earlier you said this had no relation with it) that talk about ET utilization: https://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2023/03/space-shuttle-external-tank-et.html

And via Astronautix: http://www.astronautix.com/s/stsexternaltankstation.html

Judging by the graphics you used in the post above with the new solar shield, I'm betting you've read this document, but if you haven't: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19790011998/downloads/19790011998.pdf It's worth reading!

Thanks I have already seen these but I will give them a read again! still have only seen the ET used as a tech demo on Skylab and not a hangar

1 hour ago, TruthfulGnome said:

Thanks I have already seen these but I will give them a read again! still have only seen the ET used as a tech demo on Skylab and not a hangar

There is a VERY rough diagram of the ET attaching to Skylab (literally just shown as a rectangle) on page 67 / III-23 of the SSI external tank applications paper (the first one I linked). From what I'm seeing, the pressurized attachment would be made from a module in the aft cargo container on the bottom of the ET, and looking at the shuttle attachment hardware, it seems that it would be attached shuttle side away from the station - my guess is that the shuttle docks it in position there before detaching and then docking to the normal docking port on the front of the station.

image.png?width=837&height=671

There's not a whole lot of detail, so you'll likely have to improvise a lot. Though, it at least gives a good idea of how ENORMOUS the ET would be and how much it could add to the station.

Here's a few other images for reference:

Spoiler

image.png?width=897&height=671

image.png

image.png

It looks like they had some plans to re-use Centaurs as OTVs. Some of the hangar concepts are able to pressurize, while others don't.

The Near Future Launch Vehicles cargo nose cone would be a good option for having the front of it open up as a hangar, or you could rotate it 180 degrees and have it come out the aft. I'd like to see what your creativity can do!

Edited by Raptor22

• 5 weeks later...

Skylab 16 | SLM-15 | STS-24 | June 17 - 27 | 1985

Orbiter: OV-103 | Discovery

With Discovery's first flight in the Skylab program ending in high success, she is ready to take to the skies again for another mission to Skylab. On this mission, Discovery's crew will deploy a TRS (Teleoperator Retrieval System) based satellite into orbit attached to an IUS stage and dock to Skylab to perform sciences and experiments days later. In other developments, the airlock intended to be attached to the Skylab station in 1986 has faced problems and has been pushed back to 1987 and SRB-X is promised to launch in 1989.

Due to the publics' previous worry with Apollo 13 and Apollo era Skylab missions and the current goals of NASA to send crew onboard Skylab for months without an escape vehicle docked at the station with Shuttle launches for crew rotations, many are raising safety concerns around this however, NASA states it is a simpler, more efficient and cheaper option.

screenshot2937.png?width=1200&height=675

Discovery as she awaits her launch.

screenshot2943.png?width=490&height=675

screenshot2966.png

Discovery nearing liftoff time.

screenshot2978.png

Liftoff of Discovery!

screenshot2973.png

screenshot2985.png

screenshot2983.png

image.png?width=1177&height=673

Ascent and SRB sep

screenshot3026.png

Roll over

screenshot3031.png

ET sep

screenshot3043.png

screenshot3052.png

Discovery's doors open revealing the IUS stage

screenshot3059.png

screenshot3974.png

IUS erected and ready for deployment

screenshot3966.png

screenshot3980.png

IUS deployment

screenshot3984.png

screenshot3988.png

screenshot3996.png

TRS based satellite gliding on IUS awaiting solid ignition.

screenshot4000.png

Ignition

screenshot4014.png

TRS based satellite deployment

screenshot4020.png

screenshot4026.png

screenshot4038.png

Rendezvous burn to Skylab

screenshot4039.png

Discovery approaching her station

screenshot4042.png

screenshot4045.png

screenshot4048.png

screenshot4052.png

screenshot4060.png

Soft docking

screenshot4067.png

Hard lock and dock to Skylab's MDIM adapter

screenshot4065.png

Skylab in her new position of pointing the forward APAS unit down towards Earth

screenshot4085.png

Skylab seen with her new coat

screenshot4091.png

screenshot4107.png

screenshot4127.png

Discovery undocks from Skylab

screenshot4140.png

screenshot4152.png

screenshot4158.png

Discovery lands at Edwards Air Force Base and finishes off another mission.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:08 PM, LucalisIndustries said:

talking about relatively bad ideas...

anyways, I loved this chapter, I can't wait for the next one

Perhaps they can have a stripped-down Apollo (Maybe a Block III?) carried up in the Shuttle's cargo bay and berthed to the zenith port of Skylab? IIRC, back in the early days of planning Space Station Freedom and later the ISS, there were proposals for reviving the Apollo capsule as an Assured Crew Return Vehicle to be kept at the station; its role was later replaced by Soyuz.

There was another ESA proposal for a scaled-up Apollo that held 8 crew and had a funky Soyuz-Alike system with no service module below it, but rather a small one above it that had the docking adapter and propulsion, and would be jettisoned before re-entry. It would have looked something like this:

acrv693.jpg

Note the manipulator grapple nodes located on it. It seems that it would have used a CBM docking port, which Skylab here doesn't have.

The easiest option, IMO, would be having a Block III Apollo carried inside the Shuttle's cargo bay. It uses a roughly 1/3 to 1/2 sized Service Module, which is enough for short orbital jaunts (perhaps to another nearby station and back? IIRC, during the beginning of Mir, a Soyuz was used to carry crew from Mir to Salyut 7, grab some equipment, return back to Mir with it, and then return to Earth), or for returning back down to Earth / Kerbin.

Apollo AAP Block III

Just attach some manipulator grapple nodes on there - or, optionally, fly it unmanned out of the orbiter's cargo bay - and dock it to Skylab.  With the position that the shuttle docks at, it would be incredibly easy to move it from the bay to the zenith port, since the bay would be directly facing it.  Using the 5-seat pod, it could be used such that a crew can remain on the station continuously; 7 astronauts can launch on the first shuttle up with it, and 5 stay behind while 2 return. Each launch after, five swap out with five new ones, and 7 return back. With the Apollo Crew Return Vehicle docked there, the 5 full-time crew can stay there until the next shuttle arrives, with the assurance that they can evacuate the station and return back home at any time using the ACRV.

Currently, that port is either empty or used for holding the TRS, but seeing as the Power Tower has four structural docking nodes (which currently aren't used for anything), and the TRS doesn't require a pressurized connection, any future stowage of one could probably be put up there, allowing the Crew Return Vehicle to occupy the remaining Apollo-Era cone-and-drogue port.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, Raptor22 said:

Perhaps they can have a stripped-down Apollo (Maybe a Block III?) carried up in the Shuttle's cargo bay and berthed to the zenith port of Skylab? IIRC, back in the early days of planning Space Station Freedom and later the ISS, there were proposals for reviving the Apollo capsule as an Assured Crew Return Vehicle to be kept at the station; its role was later replaced by Soyuz.

There was another ESA proposal for a scaled-up Apollo that held 8 crew and had a funky Soyuz-Alike system with no service module below it, but rather a small one above it that had the docking adapter and propulsion, and would be jettisoned before re-entry. It would have looked something like this:

acrv693.jpg

Note the manipulator grapple nodes located on it. It seems that it would have used a CBM docking port, which Skylab here doesn't have.

The easiest option, IMO, would be having a Block III Apollo carried inside the Shuttle's cargo bay. It uses a roughly 1/3 to 1/2 sized Service Module, which is enough for short orbital jaunts (perhaps to another nearby station and back? IIRC, during the beginning of Mir, a Soyuz was used to carry crew from Mir to Salyut 7, grab some equipment, return back to Mir with it, and then return to Earth), or for returning back down to Earth / Kerbin.

Apollo AAP Block III

Just attach some manipulator grapple nodes on there - or, optionally, fly it unmanned out of the orbiter's cargo bay - and dock it to Skylab.  With the position that the shuttle docks at, it would be incredibly easy to move it from the bay to the zenith port, since the bay would be directly facing it.  Using the 5-seat pod, it could be used such that a crew can remain on the station continuously; 7 astronauts can launch on the first shuttle up with it, and 5 stay behind while 2 return. Each launch after, five swap out with five new ones, and 7 return back. With the Apollo Crew Return Vehicle docked there, the 5 full-time crew can stay there until the next shuttle arrives, with the assurance that they can evacuate the station and return back home at any time using the ACRV.

Currently, that port is either empty or used for holding the TRS, but seeing as the Power Tower has four structural docking nodes (which currently aren't used for anything), and the TRS doesn't require a pressurized connection, any future stowage of one could probably be put up there, allowing the Crew Return Vehicle to occupy the remaining Apollo-Era cone-and-drogue port.

Scott Manley did a video on the various ACRV proposals. The pic he used for the Apollo variant looked a lot like the Block III Apollo, so I agree it would be a good stand-in. https://youtu.be/82YHM12n2JI

He mentioned the Apollo ACRV at 7:55.

Edited by ninthninja05

16 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

Although it's cool, with limited funding and no options to buy flights from others until the mid 90s there is very very little chance of an ACRV happening at least for Skylab

If the Challenger disaster happens in your timeline (Judging by the fact that Challenger disaster happened on January 28, 1986, and the fact that you're up to June 1985, with flights every 3 months or so, then the 2nd flight after this would line up with Challenger), would that change their decision to have the ACRV? Or, if they don't want to invest in resurrecting the Apollo capsule for an ACRV, have Soyuz come and dock with the station? After all, if you have the Challenger disaster happen in your alternative timeline, there'd be a 21 month period (Jan 28, 1986 to October 3, 1988) where Skylab would be inaccessible. 

Plus, if there was enough funding to re-activate Skylab, add three major modules to it, add a new sun shield, and who knows how much equipment inside of it... surely they'd earmark some funds to have a lifeboat, right? 

Or, who knows. If you really want to cut corners, you could use the "KOOSE" mod's ELK system to replicate the use of the real-world proposed MOOSE (Man Out Of Space Easiest) system.

TIL about MOOSE (Man Out Of Space Easiest), the proposed emergency 'bail-out'  system for returning an astronaut to Earth's surface without a dedicated  re-entry vehicle : r/todayilearned

lEm2Vcf.png

I've used it from time to time, and you have to be very precise about your attitude control to prevent the Kerbal from burning up, but it works if you want a life boat on a shoestring budget.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.