[1.12] FreeIva

JonnyOThan

• 3 weeks later...

I had a thought. Forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about, I am not very familiar with how KSP is coded. The radial attachment crew tubes in SSPX do not have IVA sections, meaning that it is impossible to pass to radially attached station parts, even though you should be able to pass through them. Is it possible to basically do a boolean subtraction on the intersecting IVA space between a crew tube's IVA and the radial crew tube's IVA, where they join into one connected space? Just a thought, I am not sure how easy or difficult that would be to implement (if possible at all!)

4 hours ago, Jefftheguyperson said:

I had a thought. Forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about, I am not very familiar with how KSP is coded. The radial attachment crew tubes in SSPX do not have IVA sections, meaning that it is impossible to pass to radially attached station parts, even though you should be able to pass through them. Is it possible to basically do a boolean subtraction on the intersecting IVA space between a crew tube's IVA and the radial crew tube's IVA, where they join into one connected space? Just a thought, I am not sure how easy or difficult that would be to implement (if possible at all!)

Yeah this is quite technically challenging. I already do something similar to cut out the geometry where the hatches are.  But doing it in arbitrary places in the internal model is not likely to look good anyway.

37 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Yeah this is quite technically challenging. I already do something similar to cut out the geometry where the hatches are.  But doing it in arbitrary places in the internal model is not likely to look good anyway.

I want procedurally generated IVA's:sticktongue:.

Superb work you've managed, good to see you've put in some extra time recently into updates too!

Everything is fantastic except when using OPT, I cannot IVA between the OPT (J) interiors.
I can transfer my kerbs using connected living spaces around, however when in IVA, I cannot move outside of the cockpit and remain stuck.
This happens for all the cockpits I tested, and they do not allow me to pass between the lab, or the crew cabin.

One cockpit I will be able to walk through the first door (as in, a door texture with no collision), but the second door that allows me into the next part will be closed, and will not let me pass.
I am just generally having issues with doors. All the parts appear to snap fine, there's no gaps, nor any parts intersecting. Just seems to not register or allow me to physically pass the door of the other part.
All the cockpit controls appear to work, and IVA works great for all else, just hoping to find a solution seeing as you're relatively active!

Any ideas?

Happy to upload screenshots or more specific info if required.

Thanks in advance, I couldn't be happier to see more development still going on! :)

1 hour ago, JTheDoc said:

Superb work you've managed, good to see you've put in some extra time recently into updates too!

Everything is fantastic except when using OPT, I cannot IVA between the OPT (J) interiors.
I can transfer my kerbs using connected living spaces around, however when in IVA, I cannot move outside of the cockpit and remain stuck.
This happens for all the cockpits I tested, and they do not allow me to pass between the lab, or the crew cabin.

One cockpit I will be able to walk through the first door (as in, a door texture with no collision), but the second door that allows me into the next part will be closed, and will not let me pass.
I am just generally having issues with doors. All the parts appear to snap fine, there's no gaps, nor any parts intersecting. Just seems to not register or allow me to physically pass the door of the other part.
All the cockpit controls appear to work, and IVA works great for all else, just hoping to find a solution seeing as you're relatively active!

Any ideas?

Happy to upload screenshots or more specific info if required.

Thanks in advance, I couldn't be happier to see more development still going on! :)

OPT has a couple parts that never had IVAs built. I’m not sure if this is one of them…it would help if you describe exactly which parts you connect to reproduce the issue, or provide a craft file that does.

Thanks for the quick response!

Apologies for further information, I was not at my PC at the time and posted this on my phone! :)

The cockpits I'm trying to use are: OPT J-SL MKIII Cockpit, OPT-J QS02 Cockpit A & B.
When the QS02 A & B cockpits are connected to the Crew Quarters, there's no passage except what look like cosmetic lifts and an "exit" that doesn't function. This could be entirely me mistaking this for being functional, however the first interior door you walk through is just a texture you can clip through. I'm not sure if this is intentional.

The one that I would suspect is functional, is the IVA for the OPT-J SL QS02 cockpit, the first door is the same textured door you can clip through as the other cockpits, however the next door that leads to the crew quarters (or science lab if I attach that) shows a shimmering texture that must be the cockpit door on the outside, and the crew quarters door on the other. There is no clipping through this.

I hope that's some information, I can provide more if necessary.

Here's some screenshots.

This is from the MKIII cockpit:
OPT-J-SL-MKIII.png

This is the second room inside the cockpit facing the door that should lead to the connected quarters/lab.
No passing through that door, you can see it's not symetrical as it's shimmering and showing both doors.

OPT-J-SL-MKIII-Cockpit-view.png

This is the view of the doors you can clip through whilst still inside the cockpit part.

Hope this is clearer for you!

(Apologies for the brightness, I just happened to load this at night on the runway)

Edited by JTheDoc

@JTheDocPretty sure the issue is that only a very few of the OPT cockpits have IVAs made. IIRC, none of the crew or other parts (which would be attached to any cocpits that have iVAs,... actually *have* IVAs.
The OPT parts that DO have IVAs, are kind of a hot mess, anyway.

@Stone Blue Thanks! for the information! :)
I can transfer crew into the crew compartments and the lab and they appear to be able to float about in IVA. But maybe I'm mistaking different types of IVA or how IVAs interact between parts maybe.

It's just sad thinking there's a thin intangible textured door stopping them from happily passing through :(
When using the "interior" overlay, I can see the doors match up, not sure if that information helps at all either.

16 hours ago, JTheDoc said:

The cockpits I'm trying to use are: OPT J-SL MKIII Cockpit, OPT-J QS02 Cockpit A & B.

Thanks for the report!  I've confirmed and fixed the issues; it'll be fixed in the next release of FreeIva.

3 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Thanks for the report!  I've confirmed and fixed the issues; it'll be fixed in the next release of FreeIva.

Thank you JonnyOThan, absolutely legendary! I'll be waiting impatiently in ckan for the new release! :)

*Thumbs up original post*

On 6/29/2023 at 7:01 AM, JonnyOThan said:

I'm currently running the game in the background after just checking. You're an absolute hero, it works brilliantly! Now I can immerse myself and finally fly purely by IVA without having to go outside the ship to transfer.

My partner and I have our own kerbels, they won't be so claustrophobic anymore!
People like you restore my faith in humanity! ;)

Thanks so much! (Y)

- Edit
Wow you fixed a lot! The doors function, the seats work, I can now go to the docking port, the EVA doors function, I can switch seats, This is great!

Edited by JTheDoc

Hello, first, my english is not that good, so i use google translator.

I found 1 bug in the mod 'Kerbal Planetary Base Systems' in the K&K Planetary Central Hub.

At this point (green line) I cannot walk between the two tables.

Free-IVA-Bugs.jpg

In the other IVA-capable components, the hatches are a bit too high.

Free-IVA-Luke-zu-hoch.jpg

It would be nice if you could somehow fix these things - I haven't used the prerelease version (0.2.16.0) yet.

3 hours ago, Avaborg said:

It would be nice if you could somehow fix these things - I haven't used the prerelease version (0.2.16.0) yet.

Thanks for the report! I'll get these fixed before the full release.

FreeIva 0.2.16.1 is now available!

Notable Changes

Bug Fixes Etc.

• Cargo bags in mk2Inline are now interactable
  • Fixed hatch interactions for hatches without handles
  • Fixed hatch interactions for non-prop hatches
  • Fixed Mk2Expansion shielded docking port
  • Fixed targeting seats when they have a non-identity scale
  • Squad fire extinguisher is now a prop (placed in mk1 and mk2 lander cans)
  • Fixed going EVA from stock docking ports
  • Fixed some issues with stationhub hatch placement
  • Fixed tube scaling when hatches were not aligned
  • Fixed Knes ECBM hatches
  • Fixed OPT J cockpits
  • Fixed restock plus inflatable airlock
  • Fixed hatch in habtech2 airlock module
  • Fixed BDB Dona pod hatch
  • Fixed conflicts with RealismOverhaul
  • Fixed hatch positions and narrow colliders in KPBS central hub

2 hours ago, LucalisIndustries said:

I've seen an issue with the habtech cupola, as the images show, the texture of the hatch doesnt disappears when you open a hatch that leads to a cupola

https://imgur.com/a/P0oBwmD

Is it just the hatch *inside* the cupola?

If you’re seeing visible artifacts only against the cupola windows when not inside the part, that’s a known issue and probably will never be fixed: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/issues/41

Edited by JonnyOThan

I have an interesting bug that seems to only appear when loading a lot of kerbals on a single rocket.  It also might be specific to the cabin IVA I'm using.

craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eky9e562le7pmqj/Space Camp Lander.craft?dl=0 requires tweakscale, Procedural Wings, and Mk2Expansion

Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f8vtnhmb7yfy3n/Player.log?dl=0

With this craft file and log file (I've tried to reduce as far as I can the number of mods for recreate) some of the kerbals get in their proper seats, and then a whole bunch load clipped through the cockpit.  Note, this is demonstratable in sandbox by filling just one of the two cabins.

All installed mods (I couldn't figure out removing any more for my sample craft): 

3AY7LDe.png

P.S. I've double checked (since that was just posted today) this breaks on the newest version, but was present on the previous version as well as I discovered the bug last night, but verified it today.

Edited by lassombra
Add note about mod version.

2 hours ago, lassombra said:

I have an interesting bug that seems to only appear when loading a lot of kerbals on a single rocket.  It also might be specific to the cabin IVA I'm using.

craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eky9e562le7pmqj/Space Camp Lander.craft?dl=0 requires tweakscale, Procedural Wings, and Mk2Expansion

Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f8vtnhmb7yfy3n/Player.log?dl=0

With this craft file and log file (I've tried to reduce as far as I can the number of mods for recreate) some of the kerbals get in their proper seats, and then a whole bunch load clipped through the cockpit.  Note, this is demonstratable in sandbox by filling just one of the two cabins.

All installed mods (I couldn't figure out removing any more for my sample craft): 

3AY7LDe.png

P.S. I've double checked (since that was just posted today) this breaks on the newest version, but was present on the previous version as well as I discovered the bug last night, but verified it today.

Maybe a dumb question, but did you try this without FreeIVA installed at all?

50 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Maybe a dumb question, but did you try this without FreeIVA installed at all?

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that.  Without FreeIVA installed they load in their seats like normal.

48 minutes ago, lassombra said:

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that.  Without FreeIVA installed they load in their seats like normal.

You're getting ReflectionTypeLoadExceptions because of missing dependencies.  These can seriously mess up completely unrelated mods and must be fixed:

It happened because "GravityTurnContinued" is missing the following dependencies : "ToolbarControl", "ClickThroughBlocker"

1 minute ago, JonnyOThan said:
It happened because "GravityTurnContinued" is missing the following dependencies : "ToolbarControl", "ClickThroughBlocker"

Argh, so that appears to be an artifact of my attempts to scope this issue by removing other mods.  It would appear I removed one too many (or few?) The problem occurs without that error present in the log.