Beyond: Kerbalkind's History of Space Exploration

Kerbalsaurus

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

img%5D

<<CALORIES SPACE EXPLORATION INITIATIVE>>

While the CalSpace CS-38 Talon was a great first step into the aerospace industry, the Talon came with quite a few issues. Yes, it was difficult to control due to the noodle thin delta-wings and the asymmetrical payload hardpoints, but it was also u g l y. So, the CalSpace engineering team got to work. It took over a hundred Funds and several cups of coffee to create, but we're happy to present our next airplane: the CS/T-77 Teal Hawk!

img%5D

img%5D

Photos of the CS/T-77's prototype model.

The CS/T-77 Teal Hawk possesses many improvements over its predecessor. It started out as an evolution of the CS-38 Talon, but it quickly turned out that the airframe had to be redesigned from the ground up to get in all the necessary improvements, including enhanced stability, improved maneuverability, increased payload, and more added safety measures. It also (finally) has a second seat, so newer pilots can sit in the back and watch a more seasoned Kerbonaut do their work. While it now has flaperons and one less engine, we assure you that the vessel is even higher performance than before.

Also, all the screenshots are of a prototype. The production model features a shortened fuselage, modified flaperon placement, slightly enlarged wing tips, and an improved EJECT (Emergency JEttison of Cockpit Trigger) system.

img%5D

One thing to note: due to a bug with Airplanes Plus, the plane may swerve on takeoff slightly because of the landing gear. To combat this, use minor yaw inputs (by minor, I mean even just slightly tapping A or D) and try to clear the runway ASAP. Takeoff speed is in the ballpark of 70 m/s.

img%5D

Currently, the only option for a loadout is two drop tanks and a Type-3 Science Glider that can be released above any terrain. It has no engine or landing gear, but has a parachute, a grip pad on the belly, and some small wings.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Releasing the science glider over some mountains. The hardpoints are interchangeable, so the Teal Hawk can wear three drop tanks or three gliders, though we're not sure why you'd need three gliders.

img%5D

img%5D

If you look closely, you can see the orange and white parachute deployed as the glider descends.

img%5D

img%5D

Our in-house test pilots pushed the airframe to its limits around the local mountains.

img%5D

The drop tanks can decouple in the event of an emergency.

img%5D

The pilot takes the Teal Hawk to Mach 1. You can only do this in a completely clean configuration (no drop tanks or glider on the hardpoints).

img%5D

The Teal Hawk lands in its speed brake configuration (air brake, flaperons/inner flaps deployed. The brakes make you lose a lot of speed fast, so take that into consideration where landing.

Safety is CalSpace's number one priority, so we've made modifications to our patented EJECT system. Now the EJECT system is certified to work while at high speeds. Just don't eject at low altitudes or while inverted/pointing nose down. Warranty void if the Abort action group was not binded prior to flight.

img%5D

Simulated rendition of the ejection procedure. A drogue chute deploys from the cockpit module so that it can slow down while the two crew bail.

CalSpace felt an evolved aircraft was necessary as it will not only be more modifiable but will gather more flight data for our future projects thanks to its increased capabilities. One final note: remember to add the tailcode onto the plane as shown, with a flag, the airbase two-letter code, aircraft modex number, and the space program roundel.

Also, thanks to the modifications, Atmospheric Autopilot is no longer a practical necessity, but still recommended. Also, Airplanes Plus and Near Future Exploration parts are used in this vessel.

KerbalX link: KerbalX - CS/T-77 Teal Hawk + Science Glider

63cg5k.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f9a2082faac3f9

That is an awesome plane! We at Beyond are ecstatic to see this in flight for the first time, and the pilots in the astronaut complex are abuzz with talk of this plane. Many have started arguing over who will fly it first. We have plans to continue flying the Talon as well, and maybe even add some of own modifications to the plane. Thank you to CalSpace for this amazing plane, and thank you to CalSpace for continuing to work with Beyond!

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Top 10 *NEW* Pages (14 will shock you)

• 2 weeks later...

NOVA 5 RETURN - YEAR 4, DAY 81 WinterOwl.png

CREW: Marsha Kerman

MISSION OBJECTIVE: Return Marsha Kerman home from Kerman Station

LAUNCH VEHICLE: N/A

WnYxjEM.png

"Nova 5 has successfully undocked from Kerman Station." - Gene Kerman (CAPCOM)

After a happy 10 days aboard Kerman Station, it's sadly time for Marsha to return home. She says that this was perhaps the most stunning vacation she's ever been on.

"The Celestial Lounge was perhaps the most stunning thing I've ever seen!" Marsha stated. "I spent most of my time there, gawking for hours as cities and oceans passed beneath me! Food could've been better though. 8/10, would recommend!"

8gqwsZB.png

fsNHOpn.png

yZZAOAD.png

"Chutes deployed!" - Gene Kerman

T9jLoar.png

"Successful splashdown confirmed." - Gene Kerman

Another mission complete! Marsha came back successfully, and Beyond gets a huge amount of money from her. However, many in the public are starting to become concerned with Beyond's goals. Many now question if it's still about the exploration of space for all of Kerbalkind, or just simply another one of the UKA's ways to get a quick buck. With partnership after partnership and hardly any steps taken towards heading back to deep space, opinion of Beyond is starting to wane. Maybe it's time to reconsider some things...

I apologize for the once again very short chapter. I've just been feeling unmotivated recently. KSP still isn't capturing my interest that much, with the install troubles and all, and also it's been hard to get inspiration to write. I hope ya'll understand.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

People across the forums are talking of Forum Armageddon, so I guess it's my turn. Beyond, being on the KSP Forums, is definitely going down with it. And since the only median to share the save with might soon be gone, there's really no more point in making more of this thread. That, and lack of motivation has stifled its development. My install's been giving me trouble, I'm tired of having to do the same mission over and over because the game keeps crashing, and other games have really been pulling my interest away from KSP. Is Beyond cancelled? Well, that's a solid maybe. I'd hate to end it on such a cliffhanger. We haven't even built a Mun base yet! Maybe there might be another update, but with how bleak things look right now, it might be over.

YlcH5cB.png

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

People across the forums are talking of Forum Armageddon, so I guess it's my turn. Beyond, being on the KSP Forums, is definitely going down with it. And since the only median to share the save with might soon be gone, there's really no more point in making more of this thread. That, and lack of motivation has stifled its development. My install's been giving me trouble, I'm tired of having to do the same mission over and over because the game keeps crashing, and other games have really been pulling my interest away from KSP. Is Beyond cancelled. Well, that's a solid maybe. I'd hate to end it on such a cliffhanger. We haven't even built a Mun base yet! Maybe there might be another update, but with how bleak things look right now, it might be over.

YlcH5cB.png

I understand. It's so sad that *corporate greed* puts the forum at risk, but there's nothing we can do but hope.

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

YlcH5cB.png

It's a shame that so many mission reports and other fan works, which include some of the most well-written and entertaining stories I've ever read, could be destroyed without warning for very little reason. Out of curiosity, has the text of this mission report been saved outside of the forum?

11 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

It's a shame that so many mission reports and other fan works, which include some of the most well-written and entertaining stories I've ever read, could be destroyed without warning for very little reason. Out of curiosity, has the text of this mission report been saved outside of the forum?

Not at the moment, but I might back it up to a Google Doc. Why do you ask?

49 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Why do you ask?

Mainly because with the talks of a replacement forum, there's a possibility of the community continuing somewhere else whilst the original forum is lost. If that occurs, then there's a possibility mission reports could be continued at the new site. Of course, you stated that the possible end of the forums isn't the only factor in the end of this mission report; however, it could still be nice for the pre-existing text to remain publicly accessible.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:20 PM, Kimera Industries said:

Personally, I don't feel that the forum is at risk (unless I have grossly underestimated the situation :0.0:) but reading this I realize it might be safe to back up some of my threads...

I'm blaming you for jinxing if the forums go down!!