Beyond: Kerbalkind's History of Space Exploration

Kerbalsaurus

YEAR 3, DAY UH... - THE SECRET SPACE PROGRAM

In order to prevent anymore mishaps like Aurora 0, we have put up a sign that will hopefully push away any plucky Kerbals.

3Sypb6F.png

That should help. Oh, and, uh, we found what we were looking for. After over half a year in orbit of the Mun, we found the main source of the strange signals. While I haven't been able to get my hands on the coordinates, I've gotten a picture of the object in question. A very startling picture.

Spoiler

rtEG2sb.png

Alright, maybe it's not all that startling, but it's certainly quite interesting. In fact, there are three points of interest around the surface. We certainly have a lot to investigate. Now, a new three Kerbal spacecraft is being worked on. It's time we finally figure what's going on at the Mun...

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
HOLY CRAP 10 PAGES!

YEAR 3, DAY 263 - EXPEDITION 2 RETURN

What. I just feel like writing that.

Crew: Valentina, Virsen, Wensy

U6oFtWu.png

After 7 months in orbit, Expedition 2 will finally begin to make its way home. Coming with them is a bounty of science, covering subjects from healthcare to zero gravity. The crew themselves were even experimented on. When they come back down to Kerbin, they will be thoroughly examined to see the effects microgravity has had on them. The crew clamber into the crew ferry, undock, and began their journey back down to Kerbin.

fyxx04S.png

Hal7lf0.png

De-orbit burn

The re-entry path the crew took was steep. They pulled about 7gs during re-entry, quite quite steep. Why this steep exactly? Well, apparently, one of our engineers wasn't paying attention, and let the craft burn longer than it should've. And that engineer was... me. Oops.

wZC04Lw.png

Nyoooooom...

tEwtb4E.png

Parachutes deployed

SPqGiCM.png

Splashdown!

The crew once again feel gravity's beautiful embrace! Even if they can barely walk, the crew feel refreshed to finally be on solid ground again. That, and the huge paycheck they know they're about to receive.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Added the names of the crew

YEAR 3, DAY 266 - EXPEDITION 4

Routine mission baby!

Crew: Lebro, Malgard, Genenie

g3IGIV5.png

Just 3 day after Expedition 2 came home, Expedition 4 is rolled out to the launchpad. Just like all the previous missions, it will spend about half a year in orbit, doing science and such. One unique thing about this mission is that they will oversee the docking of a new module. What is this new module exactly? Nothing much, just a bigger habitat. After all this time, the crew will finally have a nice place to rest. But that's all for the future. The mission needs to get there first.

BAEweV0.png

The mighty Eve II lifts off the pad mid-morning, carrying the crew to their new (temporary) home.

Ij7SEAE.png

XkeeiPE.png

Stage 2 ignition

jpwo6et.png

f15HWWV.png

udRVOUG.png

Expedition 4 is now in orbit! The solar panels are deployed, systems are checked, and a maneuver is set to head on over and dock to the space station.

27NPanK.png

Rendezvous burn

jvMAfEG.png

QtNc64c.png

Hard dock confirmed

The crew open the hatch and are greeted to the station by the crew of Expedition 3. They unpack their things, settle in, and get to work. Their mission aboard the station has begun.

iSYXIdh.png

A bit cluttered, eh?

EVE III STATIC TEST FIRE - YEAR 3, DAY 275

EvDB2Jt.png

In order for the Aurora Program to be fully functioning, we need a new launch vehicle. So Beyond has created the newest rocket in the Eve line, the Eve III! The Eve III is capable of launching 32.5 tons to LKO, and is the brand new Mun Rocket of Beyond. It may also be the pinnacle of the ULV Program, as this is a launcher capable of launching all kinds of payloads! The Eve III is the future of space exploration, and its first launch may actually be sooner than you think...

YEAR 3, DAY 271 - KIWISAT 2

NuNNjAH.png

Beyond today will launch the second satellite in their commsat program for Kiwi Tech. Kiwisat 2 is a small, simple scientific satellite that will collect observational data for a company down on Kerbin. We'd also like to ask @Royalswissarmyknife Kerman if they've made any progress on their Munar mission plans, as we would like to scout out areas for future space stations and surface bases on the Mun.

sqcMZJb.png

Liftoff!

ex8ZSMN.png

Go for second stage se-

Well that isn't good. Apparently, the fairing was going to deploy after the second stage, but by then the first stage couldn't be controlled. The rocket started to spin out of control in mid air, and in the panic, Kiwisat 2 was deployed.

cSj3uUX.png

Kiwisat 2 fell down into the oceans of Kerbin, and the mission had to be marked as an abysmal failure. Hopefully the next Kiwisat mission won't end the same way...

hvzdhck.png

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

4 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

YEAR 3, DAY 271 - KIWISAT 2

NuNNjAH.png

Beyond today will launch the second satellite in their commsat program for Kiwi Tech. Kiwisat 2 is a small, simple scientific satellite that wil collectobservational data for a company down on Kerbin. We'd also like to ask @Royalswissarmyknife Kerman if they've made any progress on their Munar mission plans, as we would like to scout out areas for future space stations and surface bases on the Mun.

sqcMZJb.png

Liftoff!

ex8ZSMN.png

Go for second stage se-

Well that isn't good. Apparently, the fairing was going to deploy after the second stage, but by then the first stage couldn't be controlled. The rocket started to spin out of control in mid air, and in the panic, Kiwisat 2 was deployed.

cSj3uUX.png

Kiwisat 2 fell down into the oceans of Kerbin, and the mission had to be marked as an abysmal failure. Hopefully the next Kiwisat mission won't end the same way...

hvzdhck.png

We have developed further plans for the Munar mission but it Requires the AKS (Advanced Kick Stage) to be finished development first.

We are diverting all resources into fixing the interstage and upgrading the second stage for Munar flights.

Also I forgot to mention we have grounded the Apteryx-9 as of now.

we are racing to find a fix.

YEAR 3, DAY 273 - CANCELLATION OF THE K-PLANE PROGRAM

WBDzerZ.png

Beyond has made the decision to cancel the K-plane, as interest in it has waned, and as it stands, it contributes nothing to the current goals of Beyond. Our private partners already have several spacecraft that meet the demands the K-plane program. However, resources from the program have been shifted into a brand new space shuttle program! The goal of the program is to make a 6 man shuttle that can supply Kerman Station cheaply and efficiently. And safely too, if time allows it. The idea is to make a spaceplane that lifts off like a rocket, and lands like a plane. Already prototypes have been designed for a shuttle codenamed "Kitsu". We apologize if you were a supporter of the K-plane program, but hopefully the new shuttle program makes up for it.

-Kerbalsaurus Kerman

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

YEAR 3, DAY 287 - AURORA 1

Back to the Mun...

I got a bit carried away with the screenshots for this mission, so it will split into two parts (much like Munar 1!) This is part 1.

Crew: Jebediah, Bob, Valentina

lzQeypK.png

The crew climb the launch tower, rising to the top of one of the most powerful rockets ever built. They're about to go on a journey they haven't gone on for over 2 years: a journey to the Mun. Yes, Aurora 1 marks the return of Kerbals to deep space! Ever since Minty 4, Kerbalkind has been skittish about leaving the safety of Kerbin. Well no more. We now have a rocket on hand powerful enough to lift a Kerbal-rated spacecraft to the Mun and back with maximum safety. The rocket's name? The Eve III, the final step in the ULV Program. Now, what exactly will Aurora 1 do at the Mun? Well, coming with the mission is a lander, nicknamed "Nugget" by the crew. While en route to the Mun, the main command module of Aurora 1, nicknamed "Chicken" by the crew will turn around and dock to the lander in a process called Transposition & Docking. We'll reveal more details about the flight later on. Right now, we just need to focus on sending the crew on their way to the Mun. The countdown starts to spill over the launch complex. 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. 9, 8, 7, 6, ignition sequence start, 4, 3, 2, 1...

F502NPT.png

We have liftoff! Liftoff on Aurora 1!

Aurora 1 quickly rises on the launchpad, and the crew are pushed back into their seats. The command module rattles around, while outside the deafening sound of the boosters reaches across all of Cape Kerman.

aqGCcn4.png

Booster separation comes up, and the boosters this time separate flawlessly. The Eve III continues high into the sky, disappearing from to the naked eye.

dfTJKiP.png

znQhJA2.png

LES sep

e9A37E3.png

Stage 2 ignition

EmbedF3.png

The fairings on the spacecraft are jettisoned, exposing the full spacecraft. Shortly after, Aurora 1 fires its second stage engine to enter LKO,

gsdnsco.png

Once in orbit, preaprations begin to send the crew on their way to the Mun. The TMI maneuver is set up, and not even one orbit later, Mission says a phrase that has not been said in a long time:

GO FOR TMI!

EV22Zt1.png

For the next minute and a half, stage 2 gives it its all, and Aurora begins its day long journey to the Mun. However, one more thing has to be completed, and that is the transposition and docking maneuver. Bob steps out of the spacecraft and does an EVA over to the lander. He will keep it stable during the whole process.

VCbqNuD.png

KnPj8ae.png

"Mission Control, come in. Chicken is docked to Nugget, I repeat, Chicken is Docked to Nugget." - Jebediah Kerman

Aurora 1 separates from the first stage, and begins its journey up to the Mun.

BXBAWNX.png

"Been a long time since I've seen this view, Mission Control. And I have to say, it's just as amazing as ever." - Valentina Kerman

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Wrong Date

YEAR 3, DAY 288 - AURORA 1

Back to the Mun...

I got a bit carried away with the screenshots for this mission, so it will split into two parts (much like Munar 1!) This is part 2.

Crew: Jebediah, Bob, Valentina

y7XgX2I.png

Aurora 1 approaching the Mun

After a day of drifting through space, Aurora 1 finally arrives at the Mun. It's been a long time since even a probe has felt the tug of the Mun's gravity, as exploration of the Mun has kind of been at the bottom of the list for Beyond. Thus, still much is unknown about its surface. But hopefully our new long-term exploration program uncovers more about the wonders of the ancient object. For the next hour or so, the crew watch as the Mun gets closer and closer to their spacecraft, until it's right on top of the them! As the spacecraft reaches it's periapsis, it begins it orbital insertion burn.

GWfZs6o.png

3bDa4fc.png

We've done it! We have Kerbals circling the Mun! But that's not all, as now the crew must prepare for the actual landing part of their mission. You know, the part that's interesting?

sAUXuxR.png

Bob goes for an EVA, and inspects both the command module and lander.

Once everything is confirmed to be okay, Jebediah and Valentina transfer into Nugget, and undock from Chicken. They now begin the most dangerous part of the mission.

UAi47Ds.png

EKiS1n4.png

"Mission Control, we see Kerbin on the horizon. Beginning de-orbit burn." - Jebediah Kerman

The lander slowly coast down to the surface, and once it reaches 5km, the suicide burn begins.

PLemYQg.png

It'd extremely nerve wracking, and the lander has to pitch up a few times to continue flying, but in the end...

0YJELHL.png

G85rfCV.png

...they make it too the surface.

"Nugget is on the plate, I repeat, nugget is on the plate" - Valentina Kerman

Nugget is the first object to stand on the Mun since the Munmun Rover... so maybe not that long but still. The crew spend thirty minutes on the surface, preforming science and whatnot, before they suit up and prepare for their EVA. Jebediah is the first out of the hatch.

h9FAtmk.png

"Stepping down the ladder..."

or3X8pz.png

"Mission control, it's good to be home!" - Jebediah Kerman

Not just mission control, but the world erupts into a frenzy of cheers! Kerbalkind was once again another worldly species! Brand new, higher def video cameras capture the moment in better quality. After about a minute of frolicking, Jebediah turns around to face the ladder to give Valentina a hand. She steps off and they both begin to talk to each other, debating whether they should or shouldn't stay. The decide to stay.

uwS3ktw.png

Jebediah prepares the flag, and the crew pose for their flag shot.

LBR5LFl.png

After the ceremonial stuff is over, the real job begins the crew begin to explore the area the lander.

FAcnQ5q.png

Science collection

OXemWab.png

CREW VERBAL LOG

JEBEDIAH KERMAN: Val! I found evidence of life on the Mun! A giant bird's nest!

VALENTINA KERMAN: That's called a crater, Jeb.

JEBEDIAH KERMAN: How do we know a bird didn't leave it?

VALENTINA: How are you a kerbonaut, Jeb?

After around 30 minutes on the Mun's surface, the time comes to board back onto the lander. Jebediah climbs into the lander first.

DHCZPk5.png

naObqry.png

Once in the lander, the crew will stay on the surface for one more day. This will be a test of long term habitation of the Mun, as crews on future mission spend longer and longer times on the surface.

1 DAY LATER...

MbJYjCJ.png

Aurora 1's surface time comes to a close, and the crew begin preparations for liftoff from the surface.

KB2QjYe.png

0mCnnRn.png

Blah blah, orbit, you get the jist. Next is the rendezvous and docking with the Command Module.

BrlH1ZU.png

Rendezvous burn

XwddZzW.png

fG9ur1D.png

The crew dock with Chicken, and transfer over their science. They then prepare the burn back to Kerbin. They'll be bringing the lander back with them, so they don't pollute Munar space. It'll be separated the moment they leave the Mun's SOI.

dNTxt0Y.png

06lmdcI.png

o7wIArf.png

Undocking lander

o8bjOiu.png

iJuD6Zo.png

0r0cBDX.png

Parachutes deployed

kOsxDOn.png

Aurora 1 has made it back home! A new frontier of space exploration has opened, and Kerbals are back on track to becoming a multi-planetary species. Next Aurora mission: Kerbals back on Minmus.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Wrong Date

I'm going to announce that this thread is going on a brief hiatus. I promise it's not ending, I just need a break from Beyond itself. I'm just kind of sick of the save right now. It's weird, I don't have burnout on KSP, I have burnout on the save itself. I hope you all understand.

• 2 weeks later...

YEAR 3, DAY #̷̛̛̝̮͕̙͍͈͇͎̫̝̈́̆̍̅̂́͆̑̏̓̊́̉̊̾̾̂͌͘̚̕͜͠͠%̶̛̝̺̩̱͓͍͌̑͆́̽́̐̊͋̋̆̓̏̐̀̀́̈́͂̋͌͐̅̕͘@̷̢̧̤̯͍͉͚͖̱̟̣̩̝͓͕͓͖̹̤͚̠͕́͛̋̇́̀́̉́̽̿̽̉͐̑̎͗̍̈́̋̾͂̕͝͝ͅͅͅ#̵̡̺͂̃̔̈͝͝  - THE SECRET SPACE PROGRAM

jkk47iH.png

In the middle of the Desert, crews have been working tirelessly to make a spacecraft capable of lifting our crew up to the Mun. We need to see what's going on there. A mysterious bunch of lights has just been sitting still. The crew have been carefully selected (since they're our only crew). The goal of the mission is to plant a flag on the mysterious object, collect samples, and then bring them back to Kerbin.  I will not talk for the rest of the mission, given the nature of what happened. I'll just use the verbal logs.

CREW VERBAL LOG

[REDACTED] KERMAN: [REDACTED], skies are empty. You are clear for liftoff.

JOEMON KERMAN: Roger that.

gPC3qf9.png

JOEMON KERMAN: Woah! Alright, mission control. Starting roll procedure.

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Copy, roll program.

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Alright [REDACTED], you're go for stage separation.

ANFIELD KERMAN: Copy that, go for stage sep.

ap8KyW0.png

twlDa7L.png

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Alright, [REDACTED], you're in a stable parking orbit. In T- 20 minutes, you'll be go for TMI.

TIM C. KERMAN: Copy that, [REDACTED]. Readying engine.

YXvWHlM.png

JOEMON KERMAN: Alright, mission control, TMI burn successful. See you at the Mun

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Copy that, [REDACTED]. See you at the Mun.

m1T3e97.png

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Good morning, [REDACTED]! How'd your trip go?

JOEMON KERMAN: We are good. mission control. Waiting for the go for landing.

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Your go, [REDACTED].

TYTXIIN.png

ANFIELD KERMAN: Alright, mission control. We are well on are way to intercept the object.

[REDACTED] KERMAN: Copy. 9km altitude, in counting.

K1skpGQ.png

CEdjyIY.png

TIM C. KERMAN: 45m from the surface. Continuing engine puffs... Contact!

SwJVNza.png

TIM C. KERMAN: I don't see anything, did we come here for nothing?

JOEMON KERMAN: Look up, Tim.

dLaSwZZ.png

TIM C. KERMAN: Oh. I see it now!

ANFIELD KERMAN: Okay, so are we not going to talk about WHAT THE HELL IT IS?

[REDACTED] KERMAN: A- alright, [REDACTED]. You're g-go for EVA.

ANFIELD KERMAN: Breakin' up a little there, mission control.

06y2Mxx.png

UAjmUPX.png

TIM C. KERMAN: Alright, mission control. I'm on top of the structure... preparing the flag.

PCMACgi.png

UhcHAJZ.png

TIM C. KERMAN: Alright, mission --ntrol. I'm ----bing ---- do--.

[REDACTED] KERMAN: [REDACTED]? [REDACTED], we're losing contact.

TRANSMISSION ENDED

1 minute later, [REDACTED] started transmitting to mission control again. Pictures from the lander show the crew are gone. Just entirely gone, with no trace.

lpWHJbQ.png

What happened? Many thoughts fly through mission control's heads. Everyone at once looks at each other, an realizes: this is no structure. What they're looking at is a full on portal. We need to dig deeper...

VaznWTZ.png

YEAR 3, DAY 292 - FIRST LIBRA ORBIT SPACE TOURIST REVEALED!

7gwjPK5.png

Kerbalsaurus Kerman (Left), Felix Kerman (Middle), and @fulgur Kerman (Right)

After a long time of consideration, the first tourist to ride in Jeb's Junkyard's Libra Orbit has been decided! And who's the lucky (and rich) Kerbal? Why, it's Felix Kerman of course! The world famous daredevil! He's proposed an idea: a jump into Kerbin's atmosphere from orbit. At first this idea was dismissed as crazy talk. No space suit can survive such conditions. That was, until a new design was proposed. It's cheap, but could work. By strapping parachutes and stainless-steel beams onto a massive heatshield, our engineers were able to create the world's very first open-air spacecraft!

v3YD9w7.png

This spacecraft is like no other, and very dangerous, but Felix has said he's up for the challenge. Going up with him will be his coach and trainer, who sadly couldn't make it to this press conference. Congratulations to Felix and @fulgur Kerman for their contributions to Beyond and Kerbalkind!

hCpPYO2.png

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Fixed phrasing

YEAR 3, DAY 304 - EXPLORER 2

Cmh5mvt.png

For the past year or so, interplanetary exploration has been at the back of everyone's minds. Crewed exploration of space has been advancing so rapidly recently, with Kerman Station capable of sustaining a permanent Kerbal presence in space, and the Aurora Program carrying Kerbals back to deep space. But exploration of the planets is important. Explorer 2's goal will not be to orbit Duna, but its mysterious moon Ike. Ike itself is strange, as its size is very large relative to Duna. Data from Explorer 1 shows that Ike covers vast swaths of the surface during every Kerbolar Eclipse. We need to understand Ike, as it may be the key for landing Kerbals on Duna.

ia01EG1.png

Liftoff!

qIR1ukZ.png

TWHodD5.png

Stage 2 ignition

dSEUcOd.png

Orbital insertion burn

Once in orbit, the Explorer 2 team prepare for the burn to Ike. Because Ike's SOI is so big, we ca get an encounter of it from Kerbin orbit AND get there within less than 200 days. After 1 orbit of Kerbin, we fire our engines for the Duna system.

otnRa4D.png

TDI burn

bckDTkp.png

Explorer 2 begins its journey to Ike, where it's due to arrive in about 196 days.

Excited for the first Libra Orbit flight! Did you get the autopilot to work? - I like Fulgur Kerman's moustache! Very RAF.
Great seeing another satellite leaving for Duna... exciting times ahead?

Edited by fulgur

13 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Excited for the first Libra Orbit flight! Did you get the autopilot to work?

I haven’t, KOS is confusing. I’ll have to write done your directions.

26 minutes ago, fulgur said:

I like Fulgur Kerman's moustache! Very RAF.

Thanks! I tried basing it off if your PFP, and for some reason, that one really stuck out.

31 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Great seeing another sattelite leaving for Duna... exciting times ahead?

Yeah, I now just have to wait for the next transfer window for the next big Duna mission(s). Unfortunately, it’s 200 days. A lot of waiting.

YEAR 3, DAY 308 - DAREDEVIL 1

Nbmn9yA.png

The might Eve II once again finds itself on the launchpad, perhaps the most successful rocket Beyond has ever flown. On it is the Open-Air Re-Entry Vehicle (OAREV), nicknamed "Daredevil 1". Daredevil 1 is the magnificent marvel of modern engineering that will bring Felix Kerman back to Kerbin on his "jump" from space. The spacecraft and jump themselves are sponsored the world famous (and highly unhealthy) Kerb-Bull Energy Drink. The launch from Cape Kerman tonight is fairly unremarkable though. Several missions have already left for and docked to Kerman Station. There really isn't much else to say, is there.

Launch Sequence

Spoiler

DJUnIrp.png

bvqBpLm.png

FrzdCbc.png

Once in orbit, preparations begin for docking. The crew aboard Kerman Station begin preparing the docking port on the avionics module, while ground teams set up its rendezvous maneuver. Standard stuff, really.

YuMqd8W.png

yL0gVMb.png

And there we go! Everything is now in place for Libra 4, and its historic mission!

Excellent! I can't wait!

Spoiler

how to use kOS.

- download kOS. I don't think you can use CKAN, but you can just stick it into KSP\GameData using file explorer. there are instructions on the kOS webpage.

- put a kOS controller on your ship from under Command and Control (next to RCS and reaction wheels). like, you need to have the computer physically on your ship to run the code in the same way that you need fuel physically on your ship in order to use engines.

- copy paste the above code into the folder KSP\Ships\Script, under a name like "libra.ks". You might need to make this folder if kOS hasn't made it for you. this is a folder on your computer outside of ksp. you will need to use notepad or nano or emacs or vim or butterflies or whatever app you use to navigate your computer & write text, html, python, c++ files. so, not ms-word.

- launch the ship.

- right click on the kOS controller and open the kOS terminal. it's green and scifi.

- type "switch to 0. run libra." with the FULL STOPS!!! and press enter. if you called your file something other than "libra.ks" you will have to use that name instead, obviously.

- sit back and watch the magic unfold. the science magic.