Beyond: Kerbalkind's History of Space Exploration

Kerbalsaurus

On 4/20/2023 at 5:47 PM, fulgur said:

I suspect that what Kerbalsaurus means by that enigmatic emoji is that in the story he is telling Kerbalkind is advancing somewhat more slowly, cautiously and cheaply than it is able to in a normal career save. While I am sure Kerbalsaurus would love your munar station design, they will have an approximate timeline within the story for when the Beyond program makes its triumphant return to deep space operations. Even if your spacecraft could SSTO the Jool-5, it would not do so in this story because that is not the story being told.

When, several chapters in the future, a Mun starion is built, I am sure that your design will be taken into consideration and Winter Owl corporation will play an important part in the station construction. (Jeb's Junkyard will not, because we make atmospheric craft.)

Oh, I was just doing that face because, ya know, Ion Engines. Also, yeah I am doing a slower progressing KSP game. As the story's going, Kongress doesn't have as much faith in Beyond now. Public interest in the space program has waned since the grounding of all deep space flights. Sorry, @Dunas Only Moon if I came across mean in any way. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 2, DAY 381 - LIBRA ORBIT SUBORBITAL FLIGHT TEST

Mo' money...

Crew: Valentina, Debo, Janby

After some quick refurbishments, the Libra Orbit ready for it's first flight to space. Jeb's Junkyard has told us time and time again the nose cone gets hot on re-entry, so we'll be on the lookout for that. On our flight will be the famed pilot Valentina Kerman, flight engineer Debo Kerman, and Minty 4 engineer Janby Kerman. Janby is excited, as this should more than make up for the mission to Minmus she didn't go on, and Valentine is excited to simply go to space. Libra Orbit is rolled to the back of the runway, and the crew board the aircraft.

wf8nlru.png

nhLp1aZ.png

Panther sep

THPoS0c.png

QhuTWmQ.png

jzzbMwW.png

Solar panel test

qkkGIuj.png

Valentina thinks of an interesting idea upon reentry. She does a fairly chaotic pitch-roll entry move. While dizzying, the plane enters the atmosphere unscathed.

u8eKz8m.png

JC44OOm.png

The flight was a complete success! Libra Orbit is now ready for its first orbital flight!

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Typos and such.

YEAR 2, DAY 386 - JOURNEYER 1 MOHO ENCOUNTER

Moho is hard...

uKQl7hs.png

After quite a bit of coasting through empty space, Journeyer 1 encounters Moho. Originally meant as an orbiter, Journeyer 1 became a flyby probe because of a slight error in the design of the spacecraft. The standard Explorer model probe bus is not great for a probe going that close to Kerbol. It takes lots of Delta-V to get that close, and it takes a lot to slow down. Journeyer 1, however, will provide valuable insight on Moho, and give us the first pictures of Moho's surface.

3KEFS8e.png

Closest approach to Moho

P1qqg9T.png

R2cSape.png

Leaving Moho's influence

Hi again, we have an idea with this "moho" probe, try taking a insertion stage below the final stage, and use that to insert into moho (make sure it has a lot of dV), and use the probe as a "maybe, maybe not" lander, if the insertion stage does not work, try the final "maybe" lander

9 hours ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

Hi again, we have an idea with this "moho" probe, try taking a insertion stage below the final stage, and use that to insert into moho (make sure it has a lot of dV), and use the probe as a "maybe, maybe not" lander, if the insertion stage does not work, try the final "maybe" lander

Oh, uh, thanks. But I already have a probe bus ready for the next orbiter. In fact, Intend on taking it to Jool and Eeloo. I will take this idea on board for a lander though. Thanks!

The incredible Distant Object Enhancement, which also allows you to glimpse your vessels/space stations outside the 2km range.

Edited by fulgur

5 hours ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

Cool picture, but why is there a green and a teal(?) dot in the image? is that a background planet mod?

What fulgur said. It does hide the sky, but you can see all the planets. It’s pretty cool.

Those dots are Kerbin and Jool, by the way.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

On 5/5/2023 at 2:25 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Sorry for a lack of uploads, my hand has been killing me recently. Or my tendon, at least. I’ll have to let it rest for a few days, but after that I promise to have another post soon.

sad, hope you get better

5 hours ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

sad, hope you get better

Aww, thank you! I have figured out the solution: an Ibuprofen in the morning, and a hot pack on my hand for at least 10 minutes. That alleviates the pain for a day or so. Taking a break from my computer and phone for a few days also helped. Now I'm ready again to play KSP, and now this thread can continue. Oh yeah, and my hand isn't in excruciating pain anymore

----------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 2, DAY 397 - KEOsat

Loud and clear!

AUCRtBD.png

Many people operating deep-space probes have complained about the amount of time they spend in radio silence, as well as the weak signals that commonly happen. The recent invention of the internet as well makes the need for a keosynchronous satellite more prevalent. After a little while of work, our engineers designed the KEOsat relay satellites, which will help spread internet around Kerbin as well as allow a communications network for probes and deep-space crewed flights. Launched atop and Eve I, a new age of fast communications has arrived!

6aZED1Z.png

qtMQDtm.png

P8o7voz.png

EpMsE7d.png

f7kfQXY.png

With all three KEOsats in LKO, preparations begin to raise the apoapsis. The idea of the flight is to create a triangular relay network, meaning at least one part of the sky is covered by a satellite. The satellites are named accordingly: KEOsat 1 will be deployed first, followed by KEOsat 2 and then KEOsat 3. For those who don't know, a keosynchronous orbit is achieved at an altitude of around 2, 863km. That's the height that the mission will be reaching.

RKwxxtE.png

Apoapsis raising burn

KEOsat 1 is released, and burns to enter keosynchronous orbit.

HGo1CJi.png

1JFZHka.png

Next, KEOsat 2.

XiaNCaX.png

And finally, KEOsat 3.

Wj8Vyiu.png

With that, our Comms network is complete! The transfer stage de-orbits, and burns up in the atmosphere.

1wEWMZU.png

YEAR 2, DAY 413 - NOVA 1

Quick! Pretend this subheading's funny!

yZkTXgg.png

After a long time of work, Winter Owl has finally sent us their MLO spacecraft. The MLO is a fairly small yet cheap commercial spacecraft, built for tourist flights to Kerman Station. Unlike Libra Orbit, the MLO is not reusable. However, it's much more convenient than Libra Orbit. Now, here's a message for @Dunas Only Moon. I have made a few creative liberties to make the spacecraft look more pleasing to the eye, as well as allow it to fit inside of the Eve I's fairing. I want your opinion on it. Anyways, little tangent aside, it's time for Winter Owl's first launch of their spacecraft.

hpB0rjI.png

Liftoff from Cape Kerman!

ySFmHe6.png

KagbFnO.png

Stage 2 ignition

97iyxPa.png

LES separation

gacjj5T.png

Orbital insertion burn

I00jpq6.png

Success! MLO has successfully been put into LKO! This is a huge success for Winter Owl, as it's the very first time their spacecraft has ever flow. In orbit, engines are tested, RCS systems are tested, and various other critical systems are tested. MLO will spend around a day in orbit before firing its engines retrograde and returning back to Kerbin for a splashdown in the ocean.

UCUzkqL.png

Shot by onboard cameras

6MxXK8H.png

kUcbTt7.png

OadCSYf.png

Parachutes deployed

2ZMOIv3.png

Splashdown!

With the success of this mission, the next step is to send up a Kerbal aboard the spacecraft. That step is very close, though.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:28 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

YEAR 2, DAY 413 - NOVA 1

Quick! Pretend this subheading's funny!

yZkTXgg.png

After a long time of work, Winter Owl has finally sent us their MLO spacecraft. The MLO is a fairly small yet cheap commercial spacecraft, built for tourist flights to Kerman Station. Unlike Libra Orbit, the MLO is not reusable. However, it's much more convenient than Libra Orbit. Now, here's a message for @Dunas Only Moon. I have made a few creative liberties to make the spacecraft look more pleasing to the eye, as well as allow it to fit inside of the Eve I's fairing. I want your opinion on it. Anyways, little tangent aside, it's time for Winter Owl's first launch of their spacecraft.

hpB0rjI.png

Liftoff from Cape Kerman!

ySFmHe6.png

KagbFnO.png

Stage 2 ignition

97iyxPa.png

LES separation

gacjj5T.png

Orbital insertion burn

I00jpq6.png

Success! Some hummus has successfully been put into LKO! This is a huge success for Winter Owl, as it's the very first time their spacecraft has ever flow. In orbit, engines are tested, RCS systems are tested, and various other critical systems are tested. Some hummus will spend around a day in orbit before firing its engines retrograde and returning back to Kerbin for a splashdown in the ocean. 

UCUzkqL.png

Shot by onboard cameras

6MxXK8H.png

kUcbTt7.png

OadCSYf.png

Parachutes deployed

2ZMOIv3.png

Splashdown!

With the success of this mission, the next step is to send up a Kerbal aboard the spacecraft. That step is very close, though.

Cool, looks good, maybe it could be used for a mun mission or even more, maybe try adding bigger solar panels.

9,5/10 (you forgot the nosecone on the bottom but thats fine)

On 5/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, Dunas Only Moon said:

Cool, looks good, maybe it could be used for a mun mission or even more, maybe try adding bigger solar panels.

9,5/10 (you forgot the nosecone on the bottom but thats fine)

I thought about it, but I felt kinda bad shoving a Kerbal inside a tiny pod for days on end. Glad that the spacecraft is approved by you, though. I'll get to work on the solar panels.

--------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 3, DAY 1 - NEW YEAR, NEW BEYOND

Last year, Beyond underwent many changes. We explored Minmus (and then failed), set up space stations, and launched the very first commercial spacecraft. This year, Beyond aims to continue operations aboard Kerman Station, as well as expand the station's design. We also want to launch the first crewed commercial flight into orbit, and even launch the first Kerbal tourists! But one question that has loomed in the back of every Kerbal's mind is: when will we go back to deep space? Well, that's something we want to address. Beyond will be going back to the Mun. But this time, in style. Hence, the Aurora Program. The new Aurora Program aims to set up a permanent Kerbal presence on and around the Mun, as well prove technologies that would be important for the first missions to Duna. We will be going back. And this time, we're going back for good.

WBDzerZ.png

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Typos and such.

YEAR 3, DAY [̶̜͠]̸̙̾̎̈\̵̙̥̱̬͈̝̓̆-̸̢͍͕̥̺̜̈́̾=̶̡̛̲͓̻̬̏͛̇͗͋   - THE SECRET SPACE PROGRAM

Many more things have gone down since I last told you all about this operation. For a while, the program has been working on a probe that will study the Mun from a high orbit. Very prominent high-energy bursts have been frequently detected from the Mun's surface. And we want to know what it is. We're going to do scans of the munar surface, and try to find the anomaly causing this disturbance. The rocket it painted black, and will be launched at night to avoid anybody seeing it.

NbMzLwX.png

3ISyl7t.png

EPbStFX.png

CBBmiUG.png

0axWOi3.png

MdBcqku.png

TA9PuoC.png

QGQ5f3a.png

Vigz8SU.png

And now we begin searching.

YEAR 3, DAY 5 - LIBRA 1

@fulgur Kerman's refurbished Libra Orbit arrived at Cape Kerman a few days, and after a few days of fitting, it's finally ready to fly! The newly deemed Libra Program will be the space program dedicated to the launching of Libra Orbit. This flight though, however, will not be crewed. This is the first time this spacecraft has gone orbital, and the first time a plane will be put into orbit! Beyond doesn't want to risk loosing crew to this space craft. The spacecraft is rolled to the back of the runway, and the runway's cleared for take off.

YGrWg6e.png

Libra 1 on the runway

rIIDvTE.png

Liftoff!

JQ8Y9Qi.png

ouRE4IK.png

Terrier ignition

The plane climbs higher and higher, and orbit comes closer and closer...

leu2Pmu.png

Orbital insertion burn

We've done it! We've put a plane in orbit! Or rather, Jeb's Junkyard has put a plane in orbit! This is a marvelous success for the commercial space industry, and a huge milestone for Kerbalkind! It's crazy to think that only 2 years ago we broke the sound barrier. But Kerbal tech develops fast.

z7W8rHU.png

The aircraft, or rather, the spacecraft, will remain in LKO for around 1 day, before the KSC is in an optimal position to return back to the runway.

f7aPzX1.png

Re-entry begins.

During re-entry, we had the exact issue that Jeb's Junkyard warned us about: the nosecone. The nosecone is a very sensitive piece of the spacecraft, and overheats quite easily. But the spacecraft is fine notheless, and...

cPr0tru.png

dawNlBr.png

...it successfully returns home! This flight was a huge success for Jeb's Junkyard, and has led the way for the program's first crewed flight. We at Beyond congratulate the engineers at Jeb's Junkyard for their marvelous advancements in space and space science, and we hope to continue our partnership for years to come!

I apologize for the extreme lack of updates. I just haven’t really felt much inspiration for KSP recently. I’m at a period very similar to modern NASA space flight. And just like modern NASA space flight, it’s boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Year 3, Day 15 - NOVA 2

Guess who’s back, back again…

Crew: Stamon

The Commercial Crew Program continues, this time with actual crew involved. Nova 2, flown by ace pilot Stamon Kerman, will carry the first crewed orbital flight of the program. While a newer model of the MLO is currently being worked on by Winter Owl, we're using the older model used in the last Nova flight. While still a remarkable mission, the mission profile is very simple. Nova 2 will go into LKO, spend a day in orbit testing various systems, and then splashdown near the KSC.

HbUPHhj.png

SbhroSK.png

Liftoff!

XjkqWmg.png

fil8zKU.png

2Ykf10t.png

Orbital insertion burn. Hey, is this me or do the italics kind of look different?

xTidQww.png

Nova 2 successfully enters Low Kerbin Orbit! However, work still has to be done. Systems must be checked, and Stamon also has to go on her EVA. She didn't just come up here on a highly experimental spacecraft for nothing! After one orbit of Kerbin, she opens up the hatch, and steps out into the vacuum of space.

R3YwKIi.png

After an EVA which lasts about 5 minutes, she boards the spacecraft and waits for re-entry. Well, she has to wait. We just have to scroll down a little.

Ybz6Uht.png

Bit hot, innit bruv?

0PAjZYh.png

Gi8UBSB.png

2HMSmRs.png

Splashdown! Nova 2 touches back onto Kerbin's surface not far from the KSC. Stamon only has to wait 30 minutes or so before rescue teams come and pick her up. The next flight of the MLO will be when it docks to Kerman Station.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Added a very dated joke.

I've been planning to launch a new module to Kerman Station, I'm just not sure what module I should launch. I guess I'm doing dome kind of "PR campaign”. Should I launch a hab module or a lab module?

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
LAB module. I meant LAB.

YEAR 3, DAY 29 - LIBRA 2

I think you missed...

Crew: Lebro, Maugan, Janby

OhyY6CT.png

The sun rises over Cape Kerman as the Libra Orbit is rolled out to the runway. All of Kerbin watches for this historic flight. The first crewed orbital flight of a spaceplane. The mission is quite simple. We go into orbit, and stay there for one day. Afterwords, it will  return back to the KSC and be recovered for another mission. Simple. Now, our engineers have done something pretty amazing for the spacecraft. As Jeb's Junkyard has warned us many a time, the nose cone overheats on re-entry. So what we did was add a sort of "heatshield" to the nose cone. Decals on the front would take the blunt of the heat, preventing the nose cone from exploding. Pretty clever, eh?

Lebro communicates to and from the flight tower, and Libra 2 is given the all go for take off. The mighty panther engines fire up, and Libra 2 is off!

z4k65tz.png

XIUN6vZ.png

Mach 1 achieved.

At about 21km, the atmosphere is to thin for the panthers to continue burning. The panthers flame out, and are ejected. It's up to the terriers from here.

Sr3FY7m.png

4yxHnHU.png

Libra 2 climbs and climbs. Apoapsis reaches 100km, and the terriers are cut momentarily. Now comes the most critical part of the flight. Libra 2 will either make it to orbit, where the crew are most likely to survive, or it fails. This would not be good. If Libra 2 has to ditch, there's a good chance the crew may die upon landing. Flight tower holds theor breath as Libra 2 begins this crucial burn.

cVIwR6a.png

Libra 2 makes it! Flight Control erupts into celebration! They have a crewed spaceplane in orbit!

3W7ygYb.png

Lebro snaps this view of Kerbin.

OzVeHMA.png

Libra 2 begins its stay in orbit, and the crew just kinda hang in the mean time. A linear fuselage allows them to bounce from end to end on board the spacecraft. Since an EVA can't happen in this spacecraft, as it requires depressurizing the entire spacecraft, this more than compensates for that.

All to soon though, the crew have to come home. Libra 2 points itself backwards, and prepares for re-entry. Here's where things get interesting.

Re-entry goes as normal. The crew head down, and flames burn around the craft. But then crew look down, and their shocked to see what happened.

ZYm3DCP.png

They missed the KSC! Libra 2 was on an impact course straight towards the ocean! The crew start to enter panic mode. The Libra Orbit isn't designed to survive ocean landings! THey'd die for sure. But Lebro concentrated herself. She took manual control of the spaceplane, and begins descent. Velocity is lost fast, and the plane becomes mre dificult to control But Lebro continues to concentrate.

CrsPyxO.png

"Within 500 meters, struggling with control. Everybody brace yourselves!" -Lebro Kerman

Splash!

The crew open their eyes, expecting to see the Kracken himself. But instead. It's a control panel. And a window. And the ocean! They're alive!

bMqUIS7.png

However, as you can see, there is one issue. The rest of the spaceplane is gone. The public starts to go crazy. Agency director, Sauru S. Kerman (nicknamed Kerbalsaurus) is asked for a statement. Should the Libra Program be canceled? Kerbalsaurus said "While the spacecraft main hull may have been destroyed, the crew survived. And as was said about the Terror Bird flight 2 years ago, any landing you can walk away from is a good one." While this has mostly silenced public fears, Kerbin is still pressing @fulgur Kerman for their statement on this event.