Everyday Astronaut is going to the moon

Gargamel

2 hours ago, Beamer said:

To be fair, that's kind of his shtick isn't it? Hence the 'everyday' part. He's an armchair rocket scientist (as many of us are too I imagine), but he doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. Also, I've seen the rest of the proposed crew, and he's probably the most knowledgeable person on that trip :) The rest is DJs, actors, singers and fashion giants.

I say Tim is probably an better pick than Scott to popularize this for the general public, yes Scott is the one us nerd want. Also Scott messed up the submission. 
Also dependent on the starship development progress and launch date this could be combat operation level dangerous. 
Now standards differs, Japan had the mxy-7-ohka-rmpg.jpg 
As in a manned ship killing cruise missile with solid rocket motors. Main downside was that the range was limited to 40 to 80  km who was inside the screen of US fighter air defense and it was no way to bail out or splash down as it was an cruise missile so not designed for slow flight. 
So the bomber dropping you as they was intercepted would lower your moral for 5 minutes if an high attitude drop. 

Huge congratulations to Tim!!!  I am super excited for you, and a little jealous... but only a little. I'll be the first to admit I'm too old to do something like this myself. 
I seriously look forward to you watching play KSP from the far side of the Mun!!!  (I mean Moon... hehehe)  :valhappy:  :happy:

image.png

"Yo Dawg! I heard you like the Moon, so I'm gonna ride a real rocket to the real moon to look at fake ones on a screen"

The more I hear about this, the less it seems like a plan to get people interested in the non sciency/nerdy part of space exploration, and more a plan to get views.

Spoiler
22 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Main downside was that the range was limited to 40 to 80  km

Why?

40..80 km is a normal aerobraking place.

The fuselage is cylindrical, metallic, with ogive nosecone and two pairs of small winglets.

They say, it's normal for aerobraking and landing.

Wait... Did you mean Ohka and horizontal distance? Misunderstood, my fault.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why?

40..80 km is a normal aerobraking place.

The fuselage is cylindrical, metallic, with ogive nosecone and two pairs of small winglets.

They say, it's normal for aerobraking and landing.

Wait... Did you mean Ohka and horizontal distance? Misunderstood, my fault.

LOL.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, magnemoe said:

I say Tim is probably an better pick than Scott to popularize this for the general public, yes Scott is the one us nerd want. Also Scott messed up the submission. 
Also dependent on the starship development progress and launch date this could be combat operation level dangerous. 
Now standards differs, Japan had the mxy-7-ohka-rmpg.jpg 
As in a manned ship killing cruise missile with solid rocket motors. Main downside was that the range was limited to 40 to 80  km who was inside the screen of US fighter air defense and it was no way to bail out or splash down as it was an cruise missile so not designed for slow flight. 
So the bomber dropping you as they was intercepted would lower your moral for 5 minutes if an high attitude drop. 

I disagree because technically the level of danger on the Ohka includes the transit to the launch era, in which the bomber was incredibly vulnerable to being shot down by radar directed fighters.

Tim and Co. might be riding a potential bomb, but no one is shooting at them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.