Getting science celebrities involved. Good or bad idea?

mcwaffles2003

Getting science celebrities involved  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Good or bad idea?

• Good
    • Bad

I just went on google wondering why I've never heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about kerbal. The only thing I found putting the two together was Scott Manley chiming in on his twitter in 2012 about it. I'm not personally a huge fan of his, seems like an alright guy that's a nerd and tends to hog conversations. But I wonder how this game hasn't really made it to any of the hands of well known science communicators outside maybe Elon. Just a thought... Any chance when KSP 2 get closer to complete can Intercept games maybe pitch to a few well known public science figures and ask them to try it out?

I mean the stated goal by many of them is to inspire kids and people in general to take an interest in space or more broadly science, so why wouldn't they agree?

Maybe post suggestions of science communicators you might care to see try the game. Examples not already mentioned being people like Bill Nye, Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, etc...

For the record... I dont think EA launch is the appropriate time, just reiterating that..

Edited by mcwaffles2003

16 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Go to their channels, videos and streams and ask them about KSP.

doing it now i think would be a mistake, as again, I'd rather they not hop in to a buggy mess. But I may try to pump up some hype on the subject when the game is more complete

12 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I'm really, really hoping Elon has no involvement whatsoever, even as a cameo. The dude's toxic

Im not his biggest fan either, dude kinda becoming more n more of a jerk it seems.. but that doesnt mean that people like him publicizing the game would make the game worse, It would just open up the games reach. But I wouldn't even put Elon as being a science communicator, just the only celeb I know outside youtube that has mentioned the game. Also, Im not talking about putting real people cameos in the game... that would be dumb IMO

Kinda would just like to see KSP used as an educational tool like Rome Total War was used for battle reenactments on the history channel back in the day.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Just now, whatsEJstandfor said:

If his only relevance is "mentioned KSP a few times" and "is rich enough to hire extremely smart and talented people to make good rockets", then I think there are way better celebrity options to go for, and I bet most of them didn't even profit from apartheid

Dude, what are you on? Elon is not the subject here and I wasn't even trying to suggest he promote the game...

He's just the only celeb that has mentioned KSP that I know of... 

Edited by mcwaffles2003

8 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I'm really, really hoping Elon has no involvement whatsoever, even as a cameo. The dude's toxic

Well, he is delivering on several fronts where many have and are failing.  And a lot of people, probably a majority, do not think he is toxic.  I find public reputation corrosion of others cloying, and if I'm not mistaken your post is drifting into politics.  That said, Elon does and says some crazy stuff.  Shine on you crazy diamond...

4 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I apologize; I didn't mean for that to come across as critical of you! My beef is only with that dork, not you!

I appreciate the apology, accepted. :)

25 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Let's not rehash the hate/love Musk thing again, please. 

bro, i think its over

Definitely NOT at EA, should do those promos at 1.0 release. But would love to see Kelly Gerardi and her daughter Delta playing at 1.0, seeing Emily Calandrelli do some of the educational content, and others. I’m realizing I’m such a space-focused person that I only know space science celebs…what Geology/Weather/Aero “celebs” are out there? I gotta get on Geology-tok haha

Also, Tory Bruno talks KSP all the time, but he’s obv a more bespoke “celebrity” than Elon.

I think closer to 1.0 getting the popular science channels involved would be a great idea. PBS space time, SciShow, Fraser Cain, Kyle Hill, etc. Some of them are already involved, Everyday astronaut, space.com and a couple other non ksp types were at the ESA event. But closer to 1.0 it's really as simple as sponsoring them. (they don't usually call them ads.) Some like PBS will just do this episode brought to you by... Others might do something more in-depth, Kyle would likely dedicate an episode to some aspect of the game. That's really all it would take, spreading around some cash to get the word out. If your really looking to spread reach, the best thing to do would be to go after the established streamers with a younger audience. My kids talk about guys like Philza, markiplier, shlat. I'm sure there's others but that's not my scene. Get them to play the game, get them to spend some time on an MP server. 

It's a good idea but for it to be effective, you have to go where the audience is. I'm not sure running ads on science channels would have the ROI we'd be hoping for, its a market that is likely already aware of KSP.

Agreed. I think more of the parent-kid science influencers and such would be a good market! But at the end of the day, the educational tool aspect that KSP1 did is really the widest net you could reasonably cast…but it’ll be way down the road, since the game rrquirements. Thinking of the requirements, I bet their marketing dept has a bunch of phases planned out, as the has-a-good-enough-computer Venn diagram traverses different parts of the market. Like, no sense publishing a pre-college educational edition until the average school computer can run a cut-down version.

interesting to ponder what gaming genre fandoms have untapped KSP-consumer-potential, as well as what non-gamer consumer bases. 

45 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

NDGT has a pretty bad reputation in the academia crowd, too.  Not sure what his general public perception is like, but it may be an association that Intercept/PD don't want.

Came here basically to say this. Tyson is notable to begin with because he... made the announcement that the IAU had re-categorized Pluto as a dwarf planet(which itself was a rather shady decision involving Tyson but that's another story), and he basically rode the coat-tails of that announcement to position himself as a celebrity. He's a performer, not a researcher, and his performance consists of grandiose paraphrase that seems profound but ultimately communicates less to the typical layperson than the original formulation, not even meriting the title of "science communicator".