Please fix the letter 'g' in the font, it's hideous.

Do you think the lowercase letter 'g' looks wrong in the picture below (and in other pictures)?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the lowercase letter 'g' looks wrong in the picture below (and in other pictures)?

• Yes
    • No

So far what we've seen of KSP2 was rather good... (OK, maybe not for everyone, but for most of us) But look at this and tell me what you see...

hW07tAv.png

Did you see the letter 'g' is? IMO this glyph completely ruins the look of the UI.
And it looks completely wrong... The letter 'y' is also present, and it also has that descending stuff (apparently that's called a descender), however it does not look ugly at all. I don't really see why only the 'g' is completely well... Ugly.

So please @Intercept Games, please fix this. It makes the UI (and therefore the game, in a certain way) ugly and not pleasant to see.
Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

completely ruins the look of the UI.

Considering how long I had to stare at that image to figure out what you were talking about, I'm going to suggest that this is a pretty serious exaggeration.

The letter 'y' is also present, and it also has that descending stuff (apparently that's called a descender), however it does not look ugly at all.

Well, kind of. If you look closely, you can see that the 'y' also doesn't descend below the other letters; it's also "squished" upwards to fit within the same space as the other lowercase letters:

sHefSGY.png  jcKxOZs.png

So the same problem is present, in a slightly different form.

I don't really see why only the 'g' is completely well... Ugly.

The 'y' only has two stacked horizontal lines, but the 'g' has three. The 'y' can be squished to fit into that space without overflowing it, but there aren't enough pixels to do that with the 'g', and the extra height goes upward.

...and when I was screaming that retro pixel font is terrible, everyone was throwing spears at me.

That's what you get for choosing a font that doesn't have descender line. I can assure you that g, j, p, q, y will look like that.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

...and when I was screaming that retro pixel font is terrible, everyone was throwing spears at me.

Because you were slamming the whole font rather than simply noting that the font doesn't properly represent descenders.

9 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

That's what you get for choosing a font that doesn't have descender line.

There's probably a simple fix without throwing out the entire font. Just move the descender ones down a bit and adjust the above-line segments to line up. There's no reason this font couldn't represent descenders. It's not a fixed display, you can use a theoretical extra row of pixels below the existing ones for special cases. You don't need to blame the entire font - don't be biased.

10 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I can assure you that g, j, p, q, y will look like that.

And I'm sure the graphic designer behind this font will have them fixed with feedback.

13 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

That's what you get for choosing a font that doesn't have descender line. I can assure you that g, j, p, q, y will look like that.

My father's TRS-80 had descenders in lowercase (a full one crt line). So the term "retro font" itself doesn't make one think of those kind of particular shortcomings. But yes, this is a particular bad pick.

"Hideous" is quite an exaggeration, IMHO. It's probably not the font I'd choose, but I don't know what the other options are or what drove the decision to use a font without descenders, so I'm not inclined to criticize them much for it.

I'm sure there'll be a plugin to change fonts, anyway.

15 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The 'y' only has two stacked horizontal lines, but the 'g' has three. The 'y' can be squished to fit into that space without overflowing it, but there aren't enough pixels to do that with the 'g', and the extra height goes upward.

Um, the 'a' also has three stached horizontal lines, and it's not overflowing...

7 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Han9ard Kerman

Also that's exactly how I read it first :confused:

23 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

So far what we've seen of KSP2 was rather good... (OK, maybe not for everyone, but for most of us) But look at this and tell me what you see...

hW07tAv.png

Did you see the letter 'g' is? IMO this glyph completely ruins the look of the UI.
And it looks completely wrong... The letter 'y' is also present, and it also has that descending stuff (apparently that's called a descender), however it does not look ugly at all. I don't really see why only the 'g' is completely well... Ugly.

So please @Intercept Games, please fix this. It makes the UI (and therefore the game, in a certain way) ugly and not pleasant to see.
Thanks.

That's a 'g'? I thought it was a 9.

8 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Um, the 'a' also has three stached horizontal lines, and it's not overflowing...

Hmm, true. It looks like the upper gap of the 'g' is two pixels tall, and the line above it is two pixels thick:

cL77b24.png

Hopefully they can shrink down those pieces.

Edited by HebaruSan