MechJeb for KSP2

kithylin

3 hours ago, Safety84 said:

What mod do you speak of?! Where can I get it? I'm interested.

And it's just been updated, too! We're at Flight Plan 0.7.0 now, and this update brings in integration with Maneuver Node Controller, but you'll need v 0.8.3  or later to see this integration as we needed to make a change there to make it all work. Basically, if you've got FP 0.7.0+ and MNC 0.8.3+, then when you try out one of the experimental features FP can automatically bring up MNC for you with the node loaded in so you can evaluate and tweak to your hearts content!
We're working on (yet another) update to MNC, too, where it will soon be able to handle multiple nodes. If you snag 0.8.3 it will appear like it can (the GUI has the buttons), but it can't quite do that yet and we didn't want you to have to wait for that just to get integration with FP.

Oh, and there's a video now, too!

10 hours ago, cfloutier said:

K2-D2 v0.8 has been released.

It now includes a better auto landing. A first version for ascent profile and a drone mode. 

https://spacedock.info/mod/3325/K2-D2

Using it with FlightPlan from @schlosrat is the closest experience to what was mechjeb. 

Thanks @cfloutier, I gotta say I'm loving the synergy with these mods! I just built a new rocket and K2-D2 flew it perfectly on ascent. I was able to use Flight Plan to create maneuver nodes that K2-D2 executed flawlessly. From circularization at Kerbin, through a Hohman transfer to the Mun, setting an inclination once I got inside the Mun's SOI, and then a new Pe, and circularization at the Mun.  Once circularized I use K2-D2 to execute a deorbit burn that I made manually, then let K2-D2 take care of the breaking burn and touchdown. It worked brilliantly, and now 5 more Kerbals are safely on the Mun!

Rz899xk.png

TK3nNJQ.png

Vp5Pmo1.png

aZlyclk.png

eiuLRL9.png

Edited by schlosrat
remove duplicate image

K2-D2 / Flight Plan got 5 Kerbals back from the Moon safely, too. Lift off form the Mun was all K2-D2, just set the target Ap to 20Km and go! K2-D2 executed Flight Plan's circularization burn at Ap, and then the Moon Return burn, and circularization at LKO. You couldn't ask for more!... Well, I'm sure you could, but do you really need more? ^_^
Here's K2-D2 executing Flight Plan's Circularize at Ap burn after performing a flawless liftoff from the Mun.

YfMcA58.png

And the resulting Munar orbit - nicely done, K2-D2!
OglnuG3.png

All lined up for a Return from the Mun burn
bVWWCE3.png

K2-D2 executing Flight Plan's Mun Return burn
BImS2PS.png

And here is K2-D2 executing Flight Plan's Circularize at Pe to put 5 Kerbals safely back into LKO.

Khc2pgi.png

To the Mun and back, easy peasy!

Edited by schlosrat

So cool to see all this in action :o. MechJeb will be reborn soon. and won't be Mechjeb anymore. It's time for Droids and Planificators. :cool:

K2-D2 really needs the ability to execute several node. But it's for the future.

Edited by cfloutier

On 2/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, mrdanman9 said:

I'm sorry, but more patience?

We've been waiting 4-5 years now for this game to release, it's now in early access AND its in a worse state with less content than when people got into KSP1. In the same time it takes other studios to make entire FULL releases.

It's one thing to be angry about the work of the developers of KSP2 or their management. I don't think it's helpful or healthy but at least understandable. I don't understand  why people expect that modders (who are developing mods in their free time as hobby) will start developing mods when KSP2 doesn't even have official support and API for them.

Even if we don't have a proper API for modding from ksp2, the current version already give access to many things. Adding maneuver node and remove it is a lame and we should really need a help from the Ksp Dev team. 

@schlosrat have added the node manager mod that fill the missing gap. 

https://spacedock.info/mod/3366/Node Manager

This work would have been made from the official Dev team. And we can hope it will be fixed one day. We will adapt our code then. 

BTW we've got an excellent synergy in the modder team. Have a try to Flight Plan + K2-D2 and you'll see the power of this synergy. 

On 4/25/2023 at 2:58 AM, cfloutier said:

BTW we've got an excellent synergy in the modder team. Have a try to Flight Plan + K2-D2 and you'll see the power of this synergy. 

Yes, and in Flight Plan v 0.7.3, that synergy is now integrated! Already Flight Plan has integrated support for @XYZ3211's excellent Maneuver Node Controller mod (v0.8.3+), but now this is made even better with the integration to @cfloutier's excellent K2-D2 Astromech mod! You can run Flight Plan without these, but why would you? With the K2-D2 integration Flight Plan now presents a K2D2 button anytime you've got a maneuver node. If your installed K2-D2 version is 0.8.0 or earlier, this button will bring up K2D2 much like Flight Plan does with MNC, but if you've got K2-D2 v 0.8.1 then pressing the K2D2 button tells K2-D2 to execute the node, which it does with better precision than any human can.

https://spacedock.info/mod/3359/Flight Plan

https://spacedock.info/mod/3325/K2-D2

https://spacedock.info/mod/3270/Maneuver Node Controller

Modders gonna mod...

Edited by schlosrat

Heads up Kerbonauts! Flight Plan has been updated to 0.8.0, and it's glorious! Check it out here: 

Tons of new images showcasing the new look and new capabilities! Get yours wherever fine mods are distributed... Uh... SpaceDock, CKAN, or GitHub should work!

Heads up Kerbonauts! Flight Plan 0.8.2 is here with even more capability than before! Where could we put all that capability you ask? In tabs! Yea, that's right, Now Flight Plan has tabs. There's so much stuff it can do it just doesn't fit in one tab, so we've got FIVE! Including a brand new Resonant Orbit Maneuvers tab!

Check it out!
0Y0uS3Y.png

Edited by schlosrat

Flight Plan has been updated to 0.8.4 with improved Planetary Transfer capabilities! They're still not perfect, so they're still listed as experimental for now, but they're greatly improved and should get you much closer to a useable maneuver node when planning your next excursion to Duna or wherever it is you want to go! Dres anyone? I hear there are some lovely rings there now...

https://github.com/schlosrat/FlightPlan/releases/download/0.8.4/flight_plan_v0.8.4.zip

VRR7uYL.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I use asparagus almost exclusively, and I have never had a problem with auto-stage that didn't trace back to my screwing up.

Every time I tried it I found MechJeb would either not stage at all and waste fuel carrying full tanks around, stage too early and drop useable fuel/engines, or drop too many stages. 'course it could have been a setup thing...I almost never asparagus because I've never felt it benefitted me enough to warrant the CPU drain when mainsails exist...but every time I tried using MJ with Asparagus I had to turn auto-stage off and do that manually else it'd break something.

Just in general I found MechJeb getting confused with more complicated spacecraft, though.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, Kenobi McCormick said:

Every time I tried it I found MechJeb would either not stage at all and waste fuel carrying full tanks around, stage too early and drop useable fuel/engines, or drop too many stages. 'course it could have been a setup thing...I almost never asparagus because I've never felt it benefitted me enough to warrant the CPU drain when mainsails exist...but every time I tried using MJ with Asparagus I had to turn auto-stage off and do that manually else it'd break something.

Just in general I found MechJeb getting confused with more complicated spacecraft, though.

I've never had that issue as long as I set up the staging properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can with K2-D2 point to a direction relative to horizon using the attitude pilot. have a try and give me feedbacks. 
The pilot is not fully  finished yet. the Roll is not yet stabilized. but it can maintains a compass direction

On 2/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, RayneCloud said:

Well, looks like Sarbian has said no... so, oh well. Wait for someone else to build their own version or for another tool to replace mechjeb.

Me: write me a Mechjeb mod for KSP2

ChatGPT: 

Creating a MechJeb mod for Kerbal Space Program 2 requires a comprehensive understanding of modding in Unity and familiarity with the KSP2 modding framework. However, as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Kerbal Space Program 2 has not been released, and therefore, the specifics of modding for that game are not available.

Nevertheless, I can provide you with a general outline of how a MechJeb mod could be developed for KSP2. Please note that this information is based on the mechanics of the original Kerbal Space Program game, and it may not accurately reflect the actual implementation in KSP2:

Set up the modding environment: Install the necessary tools such as Unity and the KSP2 modding tools. Familiarize yourself with the modding documentation provided by the game developers.

Create a new Unity project: Start by creating a new project in Unity using the KSP2 modding framework. Set up the necessary file structure for your mod.

User interface (UI): Design and create the user interface for the MechJeb mod. This would include elements such as buttons, sliders, and text fields that allow players to interact with the mod.

Flight assistance features: Implement the various flight assistance features provided by MechJeb. This can include autopilot functionality for launching, circularizing orbits, rendezvous, and docking. Additionally, implement features like maneuver planning, delta-v calculations, and ascent guidance.

Information displays: Develop information displays that provide relevant data to the player. This can include orbital information, vessel statistics, and trajectory data.

Scripting and logic: Write the necessary scripts to control the behavior of the mod. This involves handling user input, executing commands, and interacting with the game's mechanics.

Testing and debugging: Thoroughly test the mod to ensure it functions as intended. Debug any issues or errors that arise during testing.

Packaging and distribution: Once the mod is complete and fully tested, package it for distribution. Create an installation package that players can easily install in their KSP2 game directories.

Remember that the modding process for KSP2 might differ significantly from the original Kerbal Space Program, as the game developers might introduce new modding frameworks and tools. Be sure to consult the official documentation and community resources specific to KSP2 modding for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Me: so do it please?

ChatGPT: 

I apologize for any confusion, but as an AI text-based model, I cannot directly create or develop a mod for you. Modding requires hands-on programming and development skills, which I, as a language model, do not possess.

However, I can still try to assist you by providing guidance and answering any specific questions you might have about modding in general or the development process for MechJeb mods. Feel free to ask any specific questions, and I'll do my best to help you.

Me: forget it..... :D

I’ve updated Maneuver Node Controller to 0.9.7.

Added display of trajectory encounter info for previous and next orbits to aid in fine-tuning encounters
Updated display of Ap and Pe for previous and next orbits so that these fields autoscale from m up to Gm to prevent very large orbits from overfilling their display space
Changed display font to LibertationSans (a Linux variant of Arial that's free to distribute) for the main GUI. This allows a larger font size to be used with a crisper, cleaner font that's easier to read
Changed the title font to Orbitron because it's way more futuristic and just plain cool (and also free to distribute!)
Changed the borders around the UI and buttons to better match the stock game and other common mods like Flight Plan and K2-D2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...