K2-D2

cfloutier

1 hour ago, schlosrat said:

I've observed this as well, and I'm fairly sure it's not a part clipping problem - though that can cause it. I've seen it on a number of different craft. The consistent thing I've seen is that if you attempt to extend landing gear while you're in timewarp not only does it not work, but it can leave your landing gear in an odd state where they won't work outside of timewarp as well. You may notice that the "indicator light" for your landing gear goes to green in the game's UI (upper left part of the screen) even though the gear does not extend. For whatever reason gear can't extend in timewarp, but some part of the game doesn't seem to realize this, so the status indicator goes green as if they're extended. I suspect this is where the real issue is - and it's in the game.

I suspect that what's going on is that when we tell K2D2 to Break, it will timewarp to the optimal time to begin the breaking maneuver and so if you haven't yet extended your landing gear you can get into the situation where the game won't let you. One possible way to solve this is to have K2D2 automatically extend landing gear when Break is activated before starting the timewarp. Also, the user can just extend their landing gear before hitting Break.

That is a much better description of the issue.  Yes, it could be timewarp and not K2-D2.  (Easy enough to test that.) Landing gear indicator light is on.  Checking the parts, gear is retracted.  Attempting to extend it will not work once in this state.  Not until you do something.  That something could be cause the craft to reload. 

Maybe an option to extend gear (while not in warp) would be good for Landing.  Or I really need to learn to extend the gear prior to starting the landing.

55 minutes ago, pmoffitt said:

Maybe an option to extend gear (while not in warp) would be good for Landing

The issue is the bug in KSP2, I would not like automated gear extension, k2d2, doesn't know about all the possible wild crafts that can be made, who knows where there will be landing gear in the vehicle. Give the user some responsibility to extend the gear. When the bug is solved upstream, the issue will go away.

@Sade makes a good point. Asking for this in K2D2 may not be a good plan given all the ways craft can be made. Perhaps if auto-deploy landing gear was a user-configurable option that might be OK. Even with the KSP2 bug solved, it might be nice to have an option to deploy landing gear prior to touchdown.

5 hours ago, schlosrat said:

I've observed this as well, and I'm fairly sure it's not a part clipping problem - though that can cause it. I've seen it on a number of different craft. The consistent thing I've seen is that if you attempt to extend landing gear while you're in timewarp not only does it not work, but it can leave your landing gear in an odd state where they won't work outside of timewarp as well. You may notice that the "indicator light" for your landing gear goes to green in the game's UI (upper left part of the screen) even though the gear does not extend. For whatever reason gear can't extend in timewarp, but some part of the game doesn't seem to realize this, so the status indicator goes green as if they're extended. I suspect this is where the real issue is - and it's in the game.

I suspect that what's going on is that when we tell K2D2 to Break, it will timewarp to the optimal time to begin the breaking maneuver and so if you haven't yet extended your landing gear you can get into the situation where the game won't let you. One possible way to solve this is to have K2D2 automatically extend landing gear when Break is activated before starting the timewarp. Also, the user can just extend their landing gear before hitting Break.

I thought warp had some to do with it, but generally speaking I don't make it a habit of trying to do things in warp.  That said, of the times I did try to do external things like extending panels or gear or turning on lights, that the action will not take place until warp is complete...and usually completes the action.  And I can also reverse the commands.

I am observing a condition that it doesn't matter if I leave the gear alone through the entire trip...a Duna mission I am currently attempting to do is experiencing this weird issue where I cannot extend gear, ladders, solar panels or enable lights...seemingly at random.  THE only fix I can determine is to reload the game...and sometimes even F5/F9 isn't enough to fix the behaviour.  Of course, I cannot say this has anything to do with K2...but I don't use many mods simply because the base game is buggy enough...so no parts or GUI mods to mess with things...except that headlamp mod, that's cool...for all I know, community fixes might be where the problem is.  Just downloaded the newest update here, will the problem persist or go away?  Duna awaits....

4 hours ago, Sade said:

The issue is the bug in KSP2, I would not like automated gear extension, k2d2, doesn't know about all the possible wild crafts that can be made, who knows where there will be landing gear in the vehicle. Give the user some responsibility to extend the gear. When the bug is solved upstream, the issue will go away.

I tested (granted, I didn't uninstall mods, just wasn't using them at the time) and it does indeed appear to be an issue with extending landing gear during time warp.  Not a K2-D2 issue.  And I understand the "who knows what gear would activate" statement (other than I usually check and edit the action groups).

I really wanted someone else to confirm that it was happening to them also and not just an issue I created somehow.

(Finally managed to land and return from the Mun to complete that Science mission.  Ship kept falling over.  I had to make it wider to be stable.)

Edited by pmoffitt

On 1/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Rezania said:

No problem, glad that I can help you a little bit develop this awesome mod. :)

I've posted a fix for the ghosting Node. Thanks @Rezania you were right. it happened when deleting the done while burning  

5 hours ago, schlosrat said:

@Sade makes a good point. Asking for this in K2D2 may not be a good plan given all the ways craft can be made. Perhaps if auto-deploy landing gear was a user-configurable option that might be OK. Even with the KSP2 bug solved, it might be nice to have an option to deploy landing gear prior to touchdown.

yes you're right. it's for sure a missing option. And it should be done only when time warp is in x1. I'll add it to my quite long todo list 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:46 PM, Sade said:

Is there some reasoning behind k2d2 switching to "stabalize" sas mode, instead of "manouver" sas mode, when it starts the burn? should I leave on stabalize? if I have a slightly asymmetric ship, the manouver sas seems to be more stable (pun intended).

Yes there is a reason. at the end of the burn time, the node direction can move because of small remaining dv to burn. I've tried to follow this direction to be really precise and by teh way didn't succed to do it. 

I've got really better result by keeping the same direction during the burn process. 

I'm not sure but I thing the option of following the node direction is still in the Settings . you can try it to see if it is better in your case. 

---------------

about the "Brake" pilot. there are much work on that pilot. I'll add first 2 feature :

- landing gear before burn (it should be done during the final touch down phase)

SAS would be set up to retrospeed as soon as possible. 

I'll then try help adjust the final landing site.... 

6 hours ago, pmoffitt said:

I tested (granted, I didn't uninstall mods, just wasn't using them at the time) and it does indeed appear to be an issue with extending landing gear during time warp.  Not a K2-D2 issue.  And I understand the "who knows what gear would activate" statement (other than I usually check and edit the action groups).

I really wanted someone else to confirm that it was happening to them also and not just an issue I created somehow.

(Finally managed to land and return from the Mun to complete that Science mission.  Ship kept falling over.  I had to make it wider to be stable.)

I haven't noted this behaviour in any of my runs.  But many (way too many) saves and reloads trying to get to Duna, I determined that any time I engaged K2D2 to do any autopilot maneuver I preprogrammed, I would lose control of the antenna, gear, lights, solar panels.

That seems completely normal and intuitively makes sense that I could not do anything regarding flight control...but lights and antenna and solar panels do not fall into that category.  

That said, when K2 completes the program, it should be relinquishing control back to the "pilot", that being us.  It doesn't seem to want to release control.  Q-S and Q-L is a fix to get control back.  Shouldn't have to do that.  Given use association, I am leaning with something related to K2...I am having some weird issues with maneuvers not following the program correctly, with overshoots being the norm.  If I reduce my engine thrust to 25%, that helps a lot, but the intercept originally programmed is off target.  SEVERAL mid course corrections later...I suspect there is an issue with the game itself keeping track of the correct information...when the displays tell me I have 5 times the delta v needed to do some maneuver and I end up using all of that and then some doing a "short" maneuver?  I could reload and perform the same thing and get an entirely different flight where no fuel was wasted and I got the desired result.  

I don't believe K2 is doing that however.  It just doesn't want to give up its authority on demand...or so it seems.  Maybe a dependency is messing with it?

Well several updates just came out (Manuver Node Controler and K2-D2).  In a few days, an update to KSP2 comes out.  We will see what all this brings to us.  The fact that people like cfloutier, schlosrat, and others are paying attention and updating mods for us is encouraging.  KSP2 has a way to go.  Right now, a few mods such as K2-D2 make playing worthwhile.

1 hour ago, pmoffitt said:

Well several updates just came out (Manuver Node Controler and K2-D2).  In a few days, an update to KSP2 comes out.  We will see what all this brings to us.  The fact that people like cfloutier, schlosrat, and others are paying attention and updating mods for us is encouraging.  KSP2 has a way to go.  Right now, a few mods such as K2-D2 make playing worthwhile.

Oh yeah...that I agree completely with.  Weird issues aside, this is one of the few "helper" mods that makes the game more playable than it was...it has a way to go for all the bits and pieces planned...Node Controller I am having an issue with CKAN refusing to see the update.  I can copy the folder over and all that, but if I use CKAN, it will merrily ignore the new update and overwrite it with enthusiasm.  Thankfully this game doesn't need CKAN to run the mods.  Here's hoping the game update comes with a host of decent fixes...a big one for me is to fix the problem with complex ships with large part counts can seriously cripple game performance.  It isn't GPU or CPU related either....both were under 30% load and yet I was crawling along with 14fps at best on my Duna mission...the game began with 120fps performance and devolved.  This was present without mods.  The game sucks at low FPS...it really does...lol

5 hours ago, Mike S said:

Oh yeah...that I agree completely with.  Weird issues aside, this is one of the few "helper" mods that makes the game more playable than it was...it has a way to go for all the bits and pieces planned...Node Controller I am having an issue with CKAN refusing to see the update.  I can copy the folder over and all that, but if I use CKAN, it will merrily ignore the new update and overwrite it with enthusiasm.  Thankfully this game doesn't need CKAN to run the mods.  Here's hoping the game update comes with a host of decent fixes...a big one for me is to fix the problem with complex ships with large part counts can seriously cripple game performance.  It isn't GPU or CPU related either....both were under 30% load and yet I was crawling along with 14fps at best on my Duna mission...the game began with 120fps performance and devolved.  This was present without mods.  The game sucks at low FPS...it really does...lol

About the CKAN issue - are you on the latest version (1.34.4)? It's necessary for most of the newest mod updates.

And about the CPU and GPU not being maxed out, it's possible that the game is actually fully using one of the processor cores (since much of the game's code runs in a single thread), but the computer won't tell you that because other cores are not utilized. You can check that out using this guide for example: https://www.nextofwindows.com/windows-10-quick-tip-how-to-display-all-cpu-cores-performance-in-task-manager

6 hours ago, Mike S said:

Also relating to CKAN - I've seen issues even with the latest CKAN version where SpaceWarp will report that a mod I've got is out of date but CKAN doesn't see that update yet. I suspect it's just a time zone issue - and something CKAN can and should be able to sort out - but give it time (a day or less), and then CKAN will see the updated mod. That said, you can most likely install that one mod manually if it's the only one that's changed especially if you've installed previous versions before.

One of the things we get from CKAN is dependency checking. Unless the new version of the mod you want adds a new dependency that wasn't there before, you should be safe manually installing it if you don't want to wait for CKAN to catch up. That's what I do.

5 hours ago, munix said:

About the CKAN issue - are you on the latest version (1.34.4)? It's necessary for most of the newest mod updates.

Went through all that...despite the effort, it refused to see that specific update.  That said, another restart today saw an update to two others, node manager and flight plan and now Node Controller had an update...and unlike the last time, it stopped to prompt for an overwrite of the manual install of that mod instead of merrily and joyfully overwriting it this time.  Weird.

@cfloutier I've finally managed to successfully dock a few times, thanks to Flight Plan and K2-D2. Thank you!

That said, I used up WAY more propellent than I should have, and it had me thinking... Is there any chance K2-D2 could utilize the Docking Alignment Display mod to automate docking entirely? I imagine it would sit pretty low on the priority list anyway, but just curious if it could be possible.

@Schneider21 what do you mean by using Docking alignment display. I use exactly the same values in K2D2. I mean the current position of the target dock relatively to your vessel dock.... 

i've compared both values in debug during devellopement of the docking pilot and we use the same ...

But It's true I could use in K2D2 less propelant gaz. as I adjust speed the whole time. I could just adjust speed at the very end. when the wanted speed direction is really different than what is awaited.... 

Edited by cfloutier

Thanks for this mod!  I use it all the time.

I have one possible bug, and two requests:

Bug?  When I ask K2-D2 to burn the next node, it begins the burn later than the burn start time.

Here's what I'm expecting, versus what's happening

Each second What I expect What K2-D2 Does
Beep, light 1    
Beep, light 2    
Beep, light 3    
Loud voice, light 4 Begin burn  
one second later   Begin burn

Request 1:  Could we also have a Roll setting on the Attitude Pilot?

And could each of the 3 (elevation, heading, roll) also be optionally selectable?  I will sometimes only want 1 or 2 of the 3.

Request 2:  Could the K2-D2 window be hidden with the selection of F2 (Hide UI)?

On 2/3/2024 at 5:09 PM, tech2000 said:

hi @cfloutier nice mod!! is there any chance you could implement a trajectory (visual flight path) button into your mod, the likes of this ol mod from ksp1. Trajectories 

It's in my to do list and would be very useful for landing. But it will take some time. I'm currently on a long work to change the UI from imgui to uitk

On 2/4/2024 at 5:01 AM, Poppa Wheelie said:

Thanks for this mod!  I use it all the time.

I have one possible bug, and two requests:

Bug?  When I ask K2-D2 to burn the next node, it begins the burn later than the burn start time.

Here's what I'm expecting, versus what's happening

Each second What I expect What K2-D2 Does
Beep, light 1    
Beep, light 2    
Beep, light 3    
Loud voice, light 4 Begin burn  
one second later   Begin burn

Request 1:  Could we also have a Roll setting on the Attitude Pilot?

And could each of the 3 (elevation, heading, roll) also be optionally selectable?  I will sometimes only want 1 or 2 of the 3.

Request 2:  Could the K2-D2 window be hidden with the selection of F2 (Hide UI)?

For the start burn timing it's actually a wrong rendering from ksp UI

The start time is computed with precision using internal orbit patch data

On the Ksp2 UI the last red point is printed and the sound starts at the beginning of the last second. I've tried a second sooner but it is a lame in result

By the way you can try it by yourself in the option. You can set-up the start burn at a fixed time. Use a -1 value to have what you expected.

I takes your other request on attitude. Iti'll sure be useful. 

About your second request. It will be corrected once port to uitk is achieved

Thanks for the reports 

Would it be possible to make the size of the font used changeable(with the window changing to fit)? I'm playing on 1080p and the K2-D2 window takes up a lot of screen real estate, and would still be readable with a smaller font.

For any reason it's not working. It doesnt appear ingame. I used ckan and have:

BepInEx 1.9.1,

K2-D2 v0.12.3,

SpaceWarp 1.9.1

UITK for KSP2 2.4.2

installed. Am I missing something? Do I have to activate the mods somehow or anything?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: Nevermind. It suddenly worked after I started KSP2 via the KSP2_x64.exe as Administrator instead via Steam or Ckan.

Edited by Krut

Thanks for this mod and an quick question.
Then I stated using K2-D2 it showed reminding dV for burn, this disappeared then I pressed an button and I'm not been able to bring it back. 
I found this nice and also useful if something goes wrong. 
How to get it back?

Edited by magnemoe

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently completely rewrite the UI using uitk

It will then

Adapt it's size the the screen and won't be pixelated on size change

It won't be in front of load save panel. 

--------------

For the remaining DV it's a debug line shown when the option 'show node infos' is on