KSP2 gameplay experience as a whole - how do you play it?

Siska

Currently their is no real gameplay loop. Additionally, orbital mechanics doesn't work yet (trajectory change bug), and ground work does not work yet (falling through ground bug/ wheels clipping into ground bug.)

The only way I was able to play was with many, many saves, extremely simple craft, and a willingness to give up after a 4 hour grind where you are fighting against the game, not the gameplay.

You could also fly around the VAB in a jet, that actually works more or less.

2 hours ago, herbal space program said:

...an anybody tell me how to activate or obtain the AeroGUI debug tool?

I think in one of his videos he mentions that there's a mod for it.  I'm trying to be mod free so I haven't looked into it.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, LoSBoL said:

Wow! I'm at about 120 hours and have not come around playing in the last two weeks due to fun things in real life.

My wife and I just got back from a 5 day Denver trip.  And I even recognized that I shouldn't try to play the game while on vacation.  That's good right?

14 minutes ago, Davidian1024 said:

I think in one of his videos he mentions that there's a mod for it.  I'm trying to be mod free so I haven't looked into it.

Thanks for the info. Looking over the mod list I've found so far, I don't see anything that obviously looks like this, but there is one that looks a lot like KER from KSP1 (micro-engineer, https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/215989-micro-engineer-110/), so maybe I'll install that one.  As somebody who participated in a lot of stock-only challenges in KSP1, I'm not a big fan of gameplay-altering mods either, but the purely informational ones like KER are an invaluable tool for optimizing performance in an otherwise stock game. This is especially true if we're dealing with potentially buggy behavior in the KSP2 parts.

I know it's not to everybody's taste, but I use mods to de-kraken my craft designs as much as possible before starting most missions. It cuts down on a lot of the trial and error time, in addition to getting me up to speed on what the do's and don'ts are. Like @herbal space program mentioned, I don't like gameplay-altering mods so really I'm using mods as a means to get to the fun part of flying cool stuff as fast as possible. Process outlined below.

If you look through some of my posts, you'll see what I've been able to produce - I wouldn't say it's anything spectacular compared to other folk's stuff but they (usually) get the job done!  I typically make space rockets as opposed to planes, rovers, etc. and the process reflects that, I'm sure some variation would work for most things KSP.

1. Start with a fresh campaign for every mission. Yes, every time. I'm not sure if it's voodoo or not, but I always minimize docking tolerance on a new campaign.

2. Optional: use the mod "Micro Engineer" for planning dV in the VAB. In my opinion, it's the best mod out there. Wish it was part of the base game. I HIGHLY recommend you add at least 25% extra dV to any transfer stages that pass through a SOI change to account for that bug. Along those lines, "Maneuver Node Controller" is helpful to optimize any burns. I don't have a better place to mention it, but I recommend setting all docking ports to 0 docking force

3. Build your space vehicle and put it through its paces in LKO. I use a mod called "Lazy Orbit" to warp there. Iterate as needed until you're happy with it. Do the same with landers at their intended destinations, etc. You get it. I call this step "time in the simulator".  :D

4. Break the craft down into payload(s) and set up on a launch vessel. Launch, iterate design until you've got a good, repeatable LKO situation. The general idea here is to have everything ready to go before the mission starts. This is a good time to start adding action groups as you've likely found out the things you need to fiddle with most.  Action groups are a great way to bypass Parts Manager.

5. If I'm going interplanetary, I'll now use a mod called "Transfer Window" to get things aligned quick - hitting the transfer window exactly helps save on that sweet, sweet dV. I just leave a probe core on the launchpad, set the planet as target and warp to transfer. Once done, I recover the probe and prepare to launch my vessel(s). I wish this functionality was in the base game for sandbox mode.

6. Mission time! No mods needed at this point as I've now got a pretty reliable craft who's nuances I understand pretty well.  I'll again plug Micro Engineer here though because it has so much useful information to help with your journey.

7. Post your content so we can see what you're doing! My favorite thing about KSP is seeing how people solve problems creatively. I'm inspired to do things when I look at what others have done, which is great since it's a sandbox right now. If you make something, share it!  Similarly, if you find a helpful fix or workaround, please feel free to share it in @LoSBoL's KSP2 Bug Workaround thread!

Edited by GalileOh-No
Final edit

2 hours ago, GalileOh-No said:

"time in the simulator".  :D

I should do this more often. I just dislike mods...

I was so thrilled when "Enhanced Edition" had a Munar Launchpad. That's how I want to play... that's what I want from KSP2. 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:46 PM, Davidian1024 said:

My wife and I just got back from a 5 day Denver trip.  And I even recognized that I shouldn't try to play the game while on vacation.  That's good right?

Depends on the wife I guess, no better way to spend time on  a plane or under an umbrella on the beach with a cold bear shooting up Kerbals into space. Even got a spare laptop battery for 'holidays' ;p

20 hours ago, GalileOh-No said:

I know it's not to everybody's taste, but I use mods to de-kraken my craft designs as much as possible before starting most missions. It cuts down on a lot of the trial and error time, in addition to getting me up to speed on what the do's and don'ts are. Process outlined below.

If you look through some of my posts, you'll see what I've been able to produce - I wouldn't say it's anything spectacular compared to other folk's stuff but they (usually) get the job done!  I typically make space rockets as opposed to planes, rovers, etc. and the process reflects that, I'm sure some variation would work for most things KSP.  I'm on mobile and will come back to clean this up and add links later if people are interested.

1. Start with a fresh campaign for every mission. Yes, every time. I'm not sure if it's voodoo or not, but I always minimize docking tolerance on a new campaign.

2. Optional: use the mod "Micro Engineer" for planning dV in the VAB. In my opinion, it's the best mod out there. Wish it was part of the base game. I HIGHLY recommend you add at least 25% extra dV to any transfer stages that pass through a SOI change to account for that bug. I don't have a better place to mention it, but I recommend setting all docking ports to 0 docking force.

3. Build your space vehicle and put it through its paces in LKO. I use a mod called "Lazy Orbit" to warp there. Iterate as needed until you're happy with it. Do the same with landers at their intended destinations, etc. You get it. I call this step "time in the simulator".  :D

4. Break the craft down into payload(s) and set up on a launch vessel. Launch, iterate design until you've got a good, repeatable LKO situation. The general idea here is to have everything ready to go before the mission starts. This is a good time to start adding action groups as you've likely found out the things you need to fiddle with most.

5. If I'm going interplanetary, I'll now use a mod called "Transfer Window" to get things aligned quick. I just leave a probe core on the launchpad, set the planet as target and warp to transfer. Once done, I recover the probe and prepare to launch my vessel(s). Again, I wish this functionality was in the base game for science mode.

6. Mission time! No mods needed at this point as I've now got a pretty reliable craft who's nuances I understand pretty well.  I'll again plug Micro Engineer here though because it has so much useful information to help with your journey.

7. Post your content so we can see what you're doing! My favorite thing about KSP is seeing how people solve problems creatively. I'm inspired to do things when I look at what others have done, which is great since it's a sandbox right now. If you make something, share it!

That's a great guide which will go straight into the bug workaround thread!  :prograde:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, GalileOh-No said:

4. Break the craft down into payload(s) and set up on a launch vessel. Launch, iterate design until you've got a good, repeatable LKO situation. The general idea here is to have everything ready to go before the mission starts. This is a good time to start adding action groups as you've likely found out the things you need to fiddle with most.  Action groups are a great way to bypass Parts Manager.

This is how I build launch vehicles already. Started in KSP1, as well. All because I want a Saturn 1 because of reasons. I get it to where it just jumps off the pad, then add progressively heavier "dummy" payloads until I match the mass of what will go on top. it has yet to fail me in terms of making solid, virtually glitch-free designs.

The bonus is that you can then progressively test your stack to make sure it all integrates properly and works as intended.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.