Ask Me A Few More Things

Nate Simpson

Not sure if you can answer this, but your images showing multiplayer have their labels of "P#1" through to "P#7". Previously it seemed rumored that only 4 space centers would be present in KSP 2 with only four players being allowed in a multiplayer game. Are you able to clue us into any changes there? Will there be more than four players allowed? Perhaps allowing multiple players to use one space center since there are four pads available at each space center?

I got a question for @Nate.  Why are you guys showing us multi-player stuff, which is like 5 releases down the roadmap, instead of what is next on the roadmap (Science)?  Are you changing the roadmap?  Have priorities shifted?  Is Science done?

Yo @Nate Simpson Got any cool names for the mettalic H2/ Torchship engines?

Spoiler

btw guys, i've been looking at some of the ways the torchship engines have been used in the game trailers and im starting to think they also run on Hydrogen as they mostly contain of the gold hydrogen tanks and some hydrogen spheres. of course, i could be wrong.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, kicka55 said:

I wish there would be more concrete statements about how much you guys expect performance to increase over the coming months. I know it's hard but a ballpark of what's theoretically possible on that terrain would be great. Are we talking 30-40% or 300-400%. Because even doubling fps won't make it playable for min spec right now. It drops to single digits frequently on any resolution and we're talking small sub 50 part rockets. So that's even a 1000% increase that would be required under certain circumstances. That would be the first early access in history to make such performance jumps so it is very hard to get the hopes up on that one.

I doubt they know this upfront, usually you only find out these kinds of things with any certainty once you actually implement them - at least in the form of prototype. But let't be realistic - KSP2 isn't likely to ever run well on potatos, at least until it's 1.0 feature-complete because ugly low quality screenshots don't sell the game - for that you want the maximum amount of eye-candy, and so I have reasons to believe that their focus will be on a midspec and higher configurations. That's not to say that performance won't improve on lower-spec configs at all, but it will likely be a side effect of overall improvements.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:22 PM, asmi said:

I doubt they know this upfront, usually you only find out these kinds of things with any certainty once you actually implement them - at least in the form of prototype. But let't be realistic - KSP2 isn't likely to ever run well on potatos, at least until it's 1.0 feature-complete because ugly low quality screenshots don't sell the game - for that you want the maximum amount of eye-candy, and so I have reasons to believe that their focus will be on a midspec and higher configurations. That's not to say that performance won't improve on lower-spec configs at all, but it will likely be a side effect of overall improvements.

I'm not talking potatoes, I'm talking machines that run games like No Man's Sky on Ultra in 150-200 fps in 1080p. KSP2 has nowhere near the graphics to justify its current performance. 720p, 1080p, 1440p have almost no impact on performance either. Normally you'd expect huge jumps especially on the GPU.

Edited by kicka55

23 minutes ago, Catto said:

will you be fixing the radeon 580 and 570 bug where it's really laggy when you look at kerbin? its unplayable for me

Is it only with Kerbin?  Not other bodies?  When I run ksp1 on  older laptop with a useless graphics adapter I use a flag that forces all graphics to be done in software as if no graphics adapter existed and looking at any body allows things down immensely in flight view.  Map view is "ok".  So, I wonder if your Radeon is configured to work at all, or if KSP2 uses it at all.  I'm curious

17 hours ago, darthgently said:

Is it only with Kerbin?  Not other bodies?  When I run ksp1 on  older laptop with a useless graphics adapter I use a flag that forces all graphics to be done in software as if no graphics adapter existed and looking at any body allows things down immensely in flight view.  Map view is "ok".  So, I wonder if your Radeon is configured to work at all, or if KSP2 uses it at all.  I'm curious

Is there debug commands like ksp1? it would not be possible to get somewhere else due to the lag so i can't figure that out

On 4/3/2023 at 5:53 PM, Lexden said:

Not sure if you can answer this, but your images showing multiplayer have their labels of "P#1" through to "P#7". Previously it seemed rumored that only 4 space centers would be present in KSP 2 with only four players being allowed in a multiplayer game. Are you able to clue us into any changes there? Will there be more than four players allowed? Perhaps allowing multiple players to use one space center since there are four pads available at each space center?

Its four players per agency not per game.

For the rockets, are there plans in the future to have a logistics-like setup for flights like RoverDude, including habitation and supplies? Or will it be more aligned to random events and a story-like journey, like in Mars Horizon?