[?.?.? - 1.12.x] Naztheme: An Alternate Theme for KSP

Nazalassa

Awesome work !

Sure a little rough around the edges currently but can't wait to see where this goes.

I imagine its not easy to do given this is one of very few if not the only mod that changes the UI like this.

7 minutes ago, Squeaky said:

Awesome work !

Sure a little rough around the edges currently but can't wait to see where this goes.

I imagine its not easy to do given this is one of very few if not the only mod that changes the UI like this.

Plenty of inconsistencies, modding the UI is literally hours of fun :D

More about inconsistencies: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/216056-wip-112x-hudreplacer-v104-beta/&do=findComment&comment=4277342

Thanks btw :)

Version 0.3d is out!

Changelog

• Added statemaps for AG buttons (complete)
  • Modified the altimeter's display to be more pleasing (tell me if you have any ideas for it)
  • Yeah it's a very minor update, I know :)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

3aXMMV0.png

--

Next update will probably be in some time, for I have at least six more statemaps and the two 'next morning' buttons (yes there are two of them) to do, and probably more.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:22 PM, Nazalassa said:

I can't get rid of the extra top and bottom bits

If you're talking about the 'm' and the sea/terrain altitude icon, it seems like they are rendered differently as it doesn't show up on the mouse dump. I found one of the textures for it at 'GroundLevel_Icon-sharedassets7.assets-174' so it looks like it's mapping multiple textures to the cylinder that rotates (or just a flat plane that moves up and down?). So the extra bits you're seeing is the next icon.

Possible solutions would be to add a mask to hide the top and bottom, though I don't think that could be done easily, or perhaps not possible at all. The other solution is to try and shrink the icon slightly, so that it doesn't wrap as far around the cylinder. That could perhaps work, at the cost of being the icon being smaller.

Edit: Well this is weird. The altitude mode icon and the meter icon both point to the same placeholder texture 'UnityWhite'. I'm not sure where it's storing the actual texture. Will have to dig around some more.

5TUYW5C.png

Edited by UltraJohn

5 hours ago, UltraJohn said:

If you're talking about the 'm' and the sea/terrain altitude icon, it seems like they are rendered differently as it doesn't show up on the mouse dump. I found one of the textures for it at 'GroundLevel_Icon-sharedassets7.assets-174' so it looks like it's mapping multiple textures to the cylinder that rotates (or just a flat plane that moves up and down?). So the extra bits you're seeing is the next icon.

Possible solutions would be to add a mask to hide the top and bottom, though I don't think that could be done easily, or perhaps not possible at all. The other solution is to try and shrink the icon slightly, so that it doesn't wrap as far around the cylinder. That could perhaps work, at the cost of being the icon being smaller.

Edit: Well this is weird. The altitude mode icon and the meter icon both point to the same placeholder texture 'UnityWhite'. I'm not sure where it's storing the actual texture. Will have to dig around some more.

5TUYW5C.png

UnityWhite seems to be used for half the UI or something, it's either a mask (like UIMask) or the opposite, or something like this. I won't mess with it, as I don't want to have any issues with other parts of the UI. (if only the devs made the UI consistent and not spaghetti... *sigh*)

btw, is that a change in HUDReplacer's source code I see?

10 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

btw, is that a change in HUDReplacer's source code I see?

Just some test I made to see if I could grab the source of the textures for those specific ones. Needs more work to be of any use, but I basically wrote it to help view some data via the Visual Studio Debugger and that's what the screenshot shows.

That looks very good to me! Can i leave two suggestions?
Maybe you can add more constrast on gauges (almost not visible to me)
Also the on/off options are a bit confussing to me. It seems that they're inverted, cause when they look pushed down, they're off.

2 hours ago, NaviG said:

Maybe you can add more constrast on gauges (almost not visible to me)

The issue is that well, I can't really do it: KSP has a single gauge knob image, which it changes colors depending on what it wants to do with it, so I can't control that. If you're talking about the atmospheric pressure gauge, I've not done it yet.

2 hours ago, NaviG said:

Also the on/off options are a bit confussing to me. It seems that they're inverted, cause when they look pushed down, they're off.

Where? All elements, or only one of them? I don't really see.

As always, screenshots may help.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, NovAlpha said:

Was wondering if this mod is getting any future updates? I love the look of this HUD in my current playthrough but I've noticed a few missing buttons and it would be amazing to see those buttons given textures in future.

Unfortunately, at this point I've pretty much given up on this mod, I'm working on other things so I don't really have the time for it. Maybe in the future I will redo it, but that'll have to wait.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:53 AM, NovAlpha said:

Was wondering if this mod is getting any future updates? I love the look of this HUD in my current playthrough but I've noticed a few missing buttons and it would be amazing to see those buttons given textures in future.

By the way, I am considering another similar mod, with graphics in this style: (totally not copied from macOS 8.x)

mockup

Edited by Nazalassa
There should really be a way to remove that "post" button.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:50 PM, Nazalassa said:

By the way, I am considering another similar mod, with graphics in this style: (totally not copied from macOS 8.x)

That sounds incredible! The current hud as is compliments the retrofuture/alt-history aesthetic I'm going for in my playthrough really well, which is why I use it even if not 100% finished. I'm excited to see what you'll cook up in future with your aesthetic choices!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, Nazalassa said:

I can try to "fix" it.

Like that?

jrY2o5X.png

I think this looks extremely inconsistent. I'd redesign it from the ground up, keeping symmetry in mind. Instead of mixing an uneven octagon with curved gauges whose curves are wobbly and inconsistent, I'd either follow the template of the original navball, elements that conform to concentric circles, or make the entire element a square and make the gauges out of rectangles.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.