Weekly Challenge #13 - Land On Moho!

Kerbonauts! This week's #KSP2WeeklyChallenge is... Land on Moho!

Challenge13_Moho_Landscape.png

:targetpro:Primary goal: do a Moho flyby and take some screenshots from orbit!

:radial:Stretch goal: land on Moho and return to Kerbin!

:maneuver:Jeb-level goal: land a Kerbal in the Mohole... and then return them to Kerbin!

:normal:Val-level goal: all of the above, but get your Moho intercept by using a gravity assist from Eve!

Managed to go to the Moho Hole, but not wihout Kraken ( i think weekly challenge need to be adapted to the actual state of the game.... teleported inside the sun, maneuver node broken, explosion, so many stuff; i've actually rage quit 2 time :( ) Finally take a quicksave this morning to finish the challenge.  

TJlk8AS.jpg

RsEF8Uj.jpg

nFDwFRJ.jpg

YXvtcA3.jpg

i8LZtGL.jpg

py6TnfA.jpg

la6nWFu.jpg

Despite the small spacecraft design for the return, Bill returned to Kerbin with the beautiful magic of Infinite Fuel. ;p

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, CptScience said:

Jeb-level accomplished! Full gallery of the mission:

Bonus: I didn't end up finishing last week's Dres mission due to Kraken attacks, but I wanted to at least show off the vehicle that would have jumped the canyon if it hadn't kept glitching partway into the surface

Oh yeah! That's a cool vessel!

This one got me... rather than make a massive DV monster to eat the inclination and braking burns I decided to use infinite fuel. It was a monkey's paw sort of situation.

Here's my submission after the result (Disclaimer- I had a lot of fun going through this challenge, despite the difficulties):

Bugs Encountered:

• Couldn't plot course: I depleted fuel to make the craft lighter. It can escape Kerbin with empty tanks and infinite fuel. The game kept telling me there was no way to plot a course without fuel despite having set infinite fuel. My workaround was to use my "Freestyle Rendezvous" Method. You can watch it here- It works for any two orbits.
  • Couldn't warp in certain situations: It would result in the main featured bug here- I would be teleported to the center of whatever body I was orbiting the moment I hit warp- even warp at its slowest. The first workaround was to try a shorter or slower warp- I seemed to have better luck with warps shorter than 1/2 an orbit. It happened again when warping from a slow velocity- the workaround was to aim for collision with MOHO at 1km/s. Once on that trajectory I was able to warp to the surface. My assumption is that Infinite-Fuel and empty tanks were the main logical mismatch setting the game off. 

Between those two bugs I spent 2 hours trying to get far enough to send a pinnicle "OneOscar" SG5WM Spider, AKA "Infinite-Fe" off of a cliff. Good fun. Much work.

Capture footage was scrap except for these gems.

Finally I defeated the Kraken and  found my way back home from the Mohole (Val-Level)

Spoiler

Liftoff!
MtkpfbN.jpg

We won't see each other for a long time... :(
P3U376S.jpg

Spoiler

Thanks, Eve! I very much appreciate your help!

1eYx98s.jpg

Spoiler

Approaching Moho

wMyRqYa.jpg

I can see it already!
l2nW45R.jpg

Woah! I didn't expect that the hole is so deep and wide!
R1vVOwt.jpg

"Hello, echo!"
sCsa6JB.jpg

Spoiler

Docking with my transfer vessel to refuel

APvDme3.jpg

It was nice to meet you!
NwF7MOL.png

Spoiler

"With a little help from my friend"

2iSs2P6.jpg

Spoiler

I did't forget the parachutes, but I packed the wrong ones :confused:

b4Spd0c.jpg

fortunately the pod survived the splash down
8UujTf0.png

And I was able to dive up! What a trip!
nX1wGI9.jpg

Edited by Bingmao
Typo

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.