[1.12.x] ZTheme v1.1.3 - A dark theme for KSP (2024-02-27)

zapsnh

ZThemeLogo.svg

ZTheme v(whatever)
GitHubCKANSpaceDock

A modern dark theme for KSP based on HUDReplacer's own example theme.

Also check out Nazthemefor a dark retro look!

we got ksp 2 at home:

image.png
image.png

(navball not included, see below)

Dependencies

Downloads
GitHubCKANSpaceDock

Installation

Use CKAN and search for ZTheme (or click the red CKAN button above).

or

Download:
HUDReplacer + its dependencies
Module Manager
and put them in your GameData folder

Download the latest version of ZTheme and unzip ZTheme_vXXX.zip, take the ZTheme folder and put it in GameData

Voila!

Screenshot-5658.png

about:navballs

The pre-alpha KSP2 style navball in the screenshot(s) is not included in this theme but is instead @Squeaky's navball. There are also many more navballs that look nice with (or without) this theme.

There are three ways of changing the navball

In these examples, I'll be using the Principia navball, which looks pretty nice with this theme (and others maybe) (pre-v0.9.5 image).

Hide contents

Screenshot%20(5914).png?raw=true

1 - Using NavBallTextureChanger Updated

NavBallTextureChanger Updated is a mod for KSP which... well... changes the navball texture.
You can change the navball pretty easily in the UI with this mod.

I. Install NavBallTextureChanger Updated
Installing NBTCU is pretty similar to installing ZTheme.
You can use CKAN or you can manually install it like ZTheme.

II. Copy the texture into GameData/NavBallTextureChanger/PluginData/Skins
I recommend to also copy the navball twice and naming one navballName_em.png if you want to create emissives for it.

III.  Create the config file
Here's an example of what a config file looks like. If you're using the Principia navball then this should automatically work if you named the navballs navball_compass.png & navball_compass_em.png

Hide contents
NavballTextureChanger
{
	FILE_EMISSIVE
	{
		file = PluginData/Skins/navball_compass.png
		emissive = PluginData/Skins/navball_compass_em.png
		descr = NavballCompass
	}
}

Make sure the file ends with .cfg

IV. Launch KSP and change the navball through the toolbar icon

2 - Using HUDReplacer
This method does not need any more mods as HUDReplacer is a dependency of ZTheme.

This method also is pretty simplified so that people who don't know how to do method 1 can easily do this.

I. Copy your texture to GameData/ZTheme/PluginData/UI and rename it to NavBall.png
...and you're done!

If all goes well then you should see your magnificent navball that replaces the stinky old one.

3 - Using ZUI
If you want your navball to be adaptive just like KSP 2, then you can use ZUI, a supplementary plugin for ZTheme.
Note: ZUI does other things too, not just a cool adaptive navball.

I. Install ZUI
Installing ZUI is identical to installing ZTheme manually.
ZUI isn't currently available in CKAN because I'd like to add some more stuff before adding it to CKAN.

You're done!

If you want to change the navball textures then you can go to the ZUI folder and swap the textures or change the navball paths in config.cfg.

about:icons#KALEditor

If for some reason you don't like the icons for the KAL editor, then you could use Naztheme's

1. Download Naztheme
GitHubSpaceDock

2. Take the KALEditor folder in the zip file and place it in GameData > ZTheme > PluginData

3. Delete the `KAL` folder and rename the KALEditor folder to `KAL`

and you're done!

image.png

Wiki

Licensing

Under GNU GPL v3.0 except for the textures from the example theme.
Ask UltraJohn for permission or replace them.

Known Issues

KAL Editor icons sometimes don't show up.

Edited by zapsnh

I've played a bit with this theme and it is very enjoyable! A flat design is much more 2020s than the stock UI is.
Very minor concerns:

• Luminosity for the editor should be increased in the settings. Dark parts are not that readable on a dark background.
  • Text icons in the VAB are not appealing. More readability would be welcomed here. EDIT: IRRELEVANT, work is not completed
  • Colors around the altimeter seem a bit insipid, too desaturated.

But this is an overall impressive improvement, I feel like I am playing a new game!

EDIT: Saw your Help wanted in Github. Will provide propositions for VAB Icons in a few hours.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

I'm replying to OnlyLightMatters' reply here (formatting is very broken here on mobile)   For the luminosity, do you mean the background tiles the parts are on? If so, I'd have to see if I can increase the brightness of both the tiles and the border around them since it looks nicer when they share the same color.    For the altimiter colors, do you mean the action group colors (side buttons)? The AG buttons were kinda placeholders because what I was making didn't line up with what was showing so I kinda gave up.          

30 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Work is still in progress.
Arrows for Load and Save icons will be shortened, I find them too long, but you get the mood.
I'm using the polygon and circle shapes in Photoshop, they are dynamic objects so I can rework the icons I design anytime.

Spoiler

image.png

The rounded corners do look a little off but so far I really dig the dark-on-light aesthetic.

50 minutes ago, zapsnh said:

The rounded corners do look a little off but so far I really dig the dark-on-light aesthetic.

Well I like the shapes you pre-designed very much and I carefully repected their sizes.
However I will have to pay attention to the icons on the top left because if nothing is done there will be no separator between them as they share the same color.

18 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Luminosity for the editor should be increased in the settings. Dark parts are not that readable on a dark background.

I've been trying to make the tile things lighter but everything I do just makes it look weird. The only parts that looks low contrasty against the tiles are the Mk2 Command Pod and the illuminators.
(I see you've got Restock installed so I'm gonna see if other parts are unreadable there)
(I've been playing with my theme + Restock for a month now and I never realized that the parts were lowish contrast, tho I can still tell which engine is which by their shape)

Spoiler

dsaf.png?raw=true

Edited by zapsnh

I play on a 28" UHD monitor at home. Bigger tiles/icons should be more readable (even though I play with a 140-150% UI). I will test your theme on my laptop, it may be more a personnal issue than a general one.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

11 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

I play on a 28" UHD monitor at home. Bigger tiles/icons should be more readable (even though I play with a 140-150% UI). I will test your theme on my laptop, it may be more a personnal issue than a general one.

Maybe it's the part tile clashing with the background? I've made the background darker so you should be able to see the tile better.

I'll just add another pack with the higher brightness tiles in the next release.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:47 PM, OnlyLightMatters said:

Colors around the altimeter seem a bit insipid, too desaturated.

Kinda got sidetracked and built a plane by accident

Spoiler

accidentally%20built%20a%20plane.png?raw

but how does this look? (light is green now since it looks nice for me)

ag.png?raw=true

Edited by zapsnh

1 hour ago, zapsnh said:

What do you prefer?

Dark-on-Light

Light-on-Dark
Dark-on-Light
(bordered)

Current
Light-on-Dark
(bordered)

Untitled.png?raw=true

The current one looks good, but the fourth one isn't bad.

17 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

This morning's work

Sandbox_normal128x128.png ScienceSandbox_normal128x128.png

Those look awesome!
p.s. I can give you the .psd (or rather, .pdn converted to .psd) files if you're interested

Edited by zapsnh

23 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Well why not. I do work with PSD files and I have a dedicated repo to store them.

This might take a while since I had placed the files all over my drives (yes, multiple) and named them stupid things like sdfgsdgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsd.

Here's (some of) the files! (it's in the files folder btw)
https://github.com/zapSNH/ZTheme-Files

Edited by zapsnh