Docking Alignment Display (DAD) [v0.4.3 for KSP2 0.2.1]

Safarte

banner.png

Docking Alignment Display

Adds a new instrument providing necessary information to dock with precision!

Download: SpaceDock | GitHub

Installation:

It is highly recommended to use CKAN (Download Here) to install Docking Alignment Display!

Dependencies:

Manual Installation:

1. Download the latest release of UITK for KSP 2
  2. Drag the contents of UitkForKsp2's .zip file into your KSP2 directory, commonly located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2"
  3. Download the latest release of SpaceWarp
  4. Drag the contents of Space Warp's .zip file into your KSP2 directory, commonly located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2"
  5. Download the latest release of Docking Alignment Display
  6. Drag the contents of the mod's .zip file into your KSP2 directory, commonly located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2"

Usage:

Spoiler

Misalignment

angle_explanation.png

The gold crosshair indicates the angle between your craft and the target docking port. If the crosshair is to the right of the center of the display, it means that you need to rotate towards the right.

When the gold crosshair is at the center of the display, you are aligned with the axis parallel to the target docking port.

Offset

offset_explanation.png*

The green crosshair indicates the tangent offset between your craft and the target docking port. If the crosshair is to the left of the center of the display, it means that you need to translate towards the left.

When the green crosshair is at the center of the display, you are in front of the target docking port.

Roll

roll_explanation.png

The small arrow indicates the relative roll between your craft and the target docking port. If the arrow is to the left you need to rotate your craft towards the left.

When the arrow is at the top of the display, you are aligned in roll with the target docking port.

Tangent Velocity

tvel_explanation.png

The small green arrow indicates the current tangent velocity vector between your vessel and the target docking port as indicated on the picture.

Metrics

• CDST (Course Distance): Distance from the vessel to the target docking port in the axis parallel to the target port.
  • CVEL (Course Velocity): Relative velocity between the vessel and the target docking port in the axis parallel to the target port.
  • TOFS (Tangent Offset): Distance from the vessel to the target docking port in the plane tangent to the parallel axis.
  • TVEL (Tangent Velocity): Relative velocity between the vessel and the target docking port in the plane tangent to the parallel axis.

Planned features:

• Basic docking informations: tangent offset, misalignment, basic metrics
  • Relative rotation indicator
  • Relative velocity indicator
  • Setting to toggle between linear and log scale for the offset indicator
  • Docking Mode indicator
  • Simple selector for nearby docking ports to target

Changelog:

Spoiler

v0.4.3

• Enhancement: Moved around the orientation of various indicators in the Docking instrument to make it more intuitive to use.

v0.4.2

• Other: Compatibility with KSP2 version 0.2.0

v0.4.1

•  Enhancement: Added option to switch between linear & log scale for the tangent offset and velocity indicators (default: linear)

v0.3.0

• Enhancement: Added Tangent velocity indicator
  • Bugfix: Automatically close the UI when not controlling a vessel

v0.2.0

• Enhancement: Relative roll indicator to help align your craft with your target
  • Bugfix: Corrected the bounds for the crosshairs' color change

v0.1.2

• Bugfix: Updated folder compression method on release to work with CKAN
  • Other: Added banner for SpaceDock
  • Other: Updated AppBar icon

v0.1.1

• Initial release

Links:
Source code

License: MIT

Edited by Safarte
Compatibility with KSP2 0.2.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As with the DPAI for KSP1.  This is a must have tool for precision docking for KSP2.  It still needs tweeks here and there but who doesn't.  Awsome job!

For me the pain point is the green lines do not seem to move as expected.  Like a calibration issue or something.  Its as if the center line has gravity.  When the green lines get closer to the center line. The green line swoops to center then stick for several seconds then swoops away in the original direction. 

13 hours ago, DaveLChgo said:

For me the pain point is the green lines do not seem to move as expected.  Like a calibration issue or something.  Its as if the center line has gravity.  When the green lines get closer to the center line. The green line swoops to center then stick for several seconds then swoops away in the original direction. 

This is due to the instrument using a logarithmic scale for the tangent relative position indicator (the green lines). I'm still on the fence about using log vs linear scale for that, and yeah the UI/UX still has a long way to go I'll try to address some inconsistencies and issues asap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big thanks to the mod.  I have tried both scales....  it seems like a happy medium between the two would be desired.  ( when are users ever happy? )  Will try them both several times more and see which one will be best suited for my tastes.  Thanks again.     That said quick question.   Is the alignment indicator keyed on the front of the craft or the docking port.     And could you tell me where the front is.   While trying to dock it always seems like when I move left the horizontal line moves instead of the vertical.  So I figure during my build I would want to rotate the port so that it would make sense in relation to the craft. 

Here are some photos of some craft docking to another.  The first pair of craft was created with no rotation of parts.  What ever the default position is thats how it was assembled.  In this case handle at the bottom.   

(Please note - up down left right of docking port handle is as if you are seated in the craft.)  Example pic of handle on crafts right side.
zFrhMYD.png

Lets dock the first pair.  - Indicator shows everything centered and rotation arrow is pointing down.  But you can see when the craft slides (steers) left.....the line on the indicator moves up. 

The first pair was created by no rotation of any parts.  Handle on the bottom.
lEjh8sl.png

The second pair was created by rotation the dock 180 degrees.  Handle on the top.
G9zRZfl.png

Third pair was created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts right side.
Y7FRmmt.png

Fourth pair was created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts left side.
mMiJabW.png

From what I'm used to.  It looks like the option of having the handle on the craft's left is expected behavior.   This is the fourth pair again (created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts left side) but with landing legs deployed to lift up the crafts rear end and test the vertical indicator.   
xJ2vHcG.png

Confirmed that rotating the docking ring so that it is on the crafts left side is required. for the indicator to function as expected.  And the red rotation arrow is now green and at the top.  I'm not sure what its being keyed on but it seems to work best in this configuration. 

If I remember the author of DPAI of KSP1 had similar issues.  He eventually got it resolved somehow.  I think it evolved to where it didn't matter how the port was rotated when attached.   The alignment lines and rotation arrow were always correct.  But I know this mod for KSP2  is still growing and will get better over time.   Keep at it and thanks again.

Edited by DaveLChgo

On 12/22/2023 at 9:24 AM, DaveLChgo said:

Big thanks to the mod.  I have tried both scales....  it seems like a happy medium between the two would be desired.  ( when are users ever happy? )  Will try them both several times more and see which one will be best suited for my tastes.  Thanks again.     That said quick question.   Is the alignment indicator keyed on the front of the craft or the docking port.     And could you tell me where the front is.   While trying to dock it always seems like when I move left the horizontal line moves instead of the vertical.  So I figure during my build I would want to rotate the port so that it would make sense in relation to the craft. 

Here are some photos of some craft docking to another.  The first pair of craft was created with no rotation of parts.  What ever the default position is thats how it was assembled.  In this case handle at the bottom.   

(Please note - up down left right of docking port handle is as if you are seated in the craft.)  Example pic of handle on crafts right side.
zFrhMYD.png

Lets dock the first pair.  - Indicator shows everything centered and rotation arrow is pointing down.  But you can see when the craft slides (steers) left.....the line on the indicator moves up. 

The first pair was created by no rotation of any parts.  Handle on the top.
lEjh8sl.png

The second pair was created by rotation the dock 180 degrees.  Handle on the bottom.
G9zRZfl.png

Third pair was created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts right side.
Y7FRmmt.png

Fourth pair was created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts left side.
mMiJabW.png

From what I'm used to.  It looks like the option of having the handle on the craft's left is expected behavior.   This is the fourth pair again (created by rotating the dock so the handle is on the crafts left side) but with landing legs deployed to lift up the crafts rear end and test the vertical indicator.   
xJ2vHcG.png

Confirmed that rotating the docking ring so that it is on the crafts left side is required. for the indicator to function as expected.  And the red rotation arrow is now green and at the top.  I'm not sure what its being keyed on but it seems to work best in this configuration. 

If I remember the author of DPAI of KSP1 had similar issues.  He eventually got it resolved somehow.  I think it evolved to where it didn't matter how the port was rotated when attached.   The alignment lines and rotation arrow were always correct.  But I know this mod for KSP2  is still growing and will get better over time.   Keep at it and thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback, for the relative rotation indicator I used both docking ports' "up" vector but I haven't looked very deeply into the fine behaviour of this. I'll add a deeper dive into this system to my list of stuff to do for this mod.

Speaking of which, a small sneak peak into what I'm thinking about for the future of this mod:

Spoiler

S2dzTHF.png

A "plane match" instrument, the first in a series of new instruments that will all share the goal of enabling you to perform rendez-vous and docking using only DAD.

Happy New Year!   Feedback time.   Been using the mod and getting used to the log scale.   Its a bit touchy but with practice and with very small inputs can control the craft on alignment very nicely.   The linear scale will not provide the feedback quick enough that you are going out of alignment.   So all in all I prefer the log scale.  OK scale topic is over.   Onto the mod in general.  

Been using it a lot and I find that it still wasn't working as expected.  And it took me some time to figure out why.   (at least I think why anyway)   My hunch, 

Rotation indicator should be "up on target port". 
The green arrow (direction of motion) indicator should refer to craft your in.  Appears to be keyed to motion of target, which makes this feel opposite of expected.
The green lines direction of port should be corrected / rotated 90 degrees.  (as if handle is on left)
The yellow cross behaves as expected.

Would fix the green lines first, as the other issues may be a result of this.   Awesome work!!!

4 hours ago, DaveLChgo said:

Happy New Year!   Feedback time.   Been using the mod and getting used to the log scale.   Its a bit touchy but with practice and with very small inputs can control the craft on alignment very nicely.   The linear scale will not provide the feedback quick enough that you are going out of alignment.   So all in all I prefer the log scale.  OK scale topic is over.   Onto the mod in general.  

Been using it a lot and I find that it still wasn't working as expected.  And it took me some time to figure out why.   (at least I think why anyway)   My hunch, 

Rotation indicator should be "up on target port". 
The green arrow (direction of motion) indicator should refer to craft your in.  Appears to be keyed to motion of target, which makes this feel opposite of expected.
The green lines direction of port should be corrected / rotated 90 degrees.  (as if handle is on left)
The yellow cross behaves as expected.

Would fix the green lines first, as the other issues may be a result of this.   Awesome work!!!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely look into my calculations of crafts orientations as soon as possible.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!  Awesome work on the adjustment. 
Never really understood how that phrase came into being.... but anyway.  Docking Alignment Display (DAD) behavior is really as desired now.  Assembly in VAB can use the default positioning.  (rotating the dock in VAB no longer needed)   For those that have used DPAI from KSP1   this is the replacement for that instrument.  Great job!!  

Trivial difference and very easy to adapt to either instrument.   It feels like DPAI yellow cross in middle is keyed on target alignment - whereas it feels like DAD yellow cross in middle is keyed on own ship alignment.  Personally I prefer the yellow cross behavior on DAD.  But again very easy to adapt to either instrument for those that still play KSP1.   (like me)

KUDOS!!  Looking forward to future enhancements.  ( A larger movement arrow perhaps?  It gets a bit lost when near the middle......  oooh!   oooh!   How about have the arrow morph into a diamond when perfectly-ish centered.   Not sure how that would look... but request to start with a larger arrow and see where that leads. )

Video showing behavior of DAD v0.4.3 shown below.   I had gotten used to the previous version of DAD so my fingers muscle memory did me in for this example video. Not as well piloted as I would have liked.

Edited by DaveLChgo

Awesome mod! Just a few things...

1) I use a wide monitor and it seems that is messing with the aspect ratio of this mod. I get a horizontally stretched window that looks really bad.

2) I'd recommend using similar symbology to DPAI from KSP 1 (credit to usnavyfish). In my opinion, the "X" is a difficult symbol to use. Using standard velocity vector symbols in DPAI was very easy for smooth brains like me.

3) Options for inverting the X and Y axes and adjusting the alignment angle would be amazing! Sometimes, I want a different alignment then what the docking port part body alignment is.

4) Where do I go to select the options? Like linear vs log.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Edited by mech_engr

On 1/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, mech_engr said:

Awesome mod! Just a few things...

1) I use a wide monitor and it seems that is messing with the aspect ratio of this mod. I get a horizontally stretched window that looks really bad.

2) I'd recommend using similar symbology to DPAI from KSP 1 (credit to usnavyfish). In my opinion, the "X" is a difficult symbol to use. Using standard velocity vector symbols in DPAI was very easy for smooth brains like me.

3) Options for inverting the X and Y axes and adjusting the alignment angle would be amazing! Sometimes, I want a different alignment then what the docking port part body alignment is.

4) Where do I go to select the options? Like linear vs log.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Mod options are located within the settings menu, should be there, I think

Hello, the flightpath marker  -o- does not appear in the DAD.

I really need this to avoid switching my eyes between the DAD and the navball. Please help me or am I doing something wrong?

Edit:

Ahh...  the flightpath marker is the red arrow. I just watched the video. 

Edited by Steigleder

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any documentation for this mod? I have used it but was not really sure what all the abbreviations are so I struggled to get to grips with it. I assumed TVEL is target velocity but is that a relative velocity or a velocity in one axis? Great if there was an explanation somewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.