Add a slider in the settings menu to make rockets stiffer while you are working on a permanent fix

Should KSP 2 have had a custom built physics engine instead of taking the standard Unity physics engine and using it in a way it wasn't meant to be used? Absolutely yes. But since that wont happen and we have to live with the KSP 2 we are getting lets at make the game run fine enough.

The devs are really focused on finding the perfect solution to the wobbly rockets, but while they are using time on that the current state of the game is suffering strongly. Its time to be realistic and find a temporary solution.

I propose that a slider be added to the options menu where we can add rocket stiffness, let it go from 1x (default) to 20x or whatever no wobbly is. If its not too hard it could also be fun to let us set the slider to less than 1x and have absolute noodles just for the fun of it.

23 hours ago, Mikki said:

If you look closely there is an option "Unbreakable Joints"

Joints breaking and wobble are complete different things. A craft can wobble a lot and the joints would not break or break without wobble. 

I like the slider Idea. I would probably just set it to max (like most players). It is just to anoying and unrealistic

On 10/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, kdaviper said:

In order to have a custom engine from the ground up, you would first have to make the engine. Secondly you would have to make all the tools that all of the non-software-engineer devs would use from the ground up.

Which is how most non-indie games are made. You make it sound like its some insane feat that no one has done before when its actually how almost all standard games are made.  Usually devs look at what the specs of the game they want to make are, find a suitable engine or make one. Its why Blizzard uses Unity for Heartstone since its a relatively simple card game but uses their own engine for Overwatch which is a lot more demanding. Mount and Blade devs also used their own engine which is really good at having a lot of NPCS running at the same time, its rare to find a game engine that can handle 1000+ individual NPCs at the same time.

In the same vein as this the KSP 2 devs should have seen that KSP 2 would have benefitted from a custom game engine where they had complete control over the physics. This isn't a small production, KSP 1 has sold over 4 million copies and Private Division bought the game rights because of this. KSP 2 deserves to be made with a proper engine and not Unity again.

4 hours ago, thabuckwizar said:

Which is how most non-indie games are made. You make it sound like its some insane feat that no one has done before when its actually how almost all standard games are made.  Usually devs look at what the specs of the game they want to make are, find a suitable engine or make one. Its why Blizzard uses Unity for Heartstone since its a relatively simple card game but uses their own engine for Overwatch which is a lot more demanding. Mount and Blade devs also used their own engine which is really good at having a lot of NPCS running at the same time, its rare to find a game engine that can handle 1000+ individual NPCs at the same time.

In the same vein as this the KSP 2 devs should have seen that KSP 2 would have benefitted from a custom game engine where they had complete control over the physics. This isn't a small production, KSP 1 has sold over 4 million copies and Private Division bought the game rights because of this. KSP 2 deserves to be made with a proper engine and not Unity again.

I don't disagree with a lot of points here. Sadly I feel that the decision to use unity was likely an attempt to cut costs. Also I wonder how a unique engine would effect modding if that is indeed a long-term goal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.