Bug Status [10/23]

2 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I think that fundamental feature fixes could easily be tracked separately from the patch to patch bugfixes - just stick them in a separate section at the bottom of the overall list.  

Ultimately, it’s not going to make any difference to the outcome, but people with more coding experience and time than I have might be able to make some semi-educated inferences from that information…

People are missing what I'm stating here.  The post literally states that they are no longer going to communicate the fundamental feature bugs/fixes.  That goes against everything they continue to say about more and better communication with the community.  That is my issue here.  Doing that will only cause the community to ask "What is going on with [x]" unnecessarily.  They could avoid all of those questions by simply continuing to communicate, but they once again are making the intentional decision to simply stop telling us what is going on.  That is not a good thing.  And that is what people are missing when telling me any variation of this being a good thing.

10 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

People are missing what I'm stating here.  The post literally states that they are no longer going to communicate the fundamental feature bugs/fixes.  That goes against everything they continue to say about more and better communication with the community.  That is my issue here.  Doing that will only cause the community to ask "What is going on with [x]" unnecessarily.  They could avoid all of those questions by simply continuing to communicate, but they once again are making the intentional decision to simply stop telling us what is going on.  That is not a good thing.  And that is what people are missing when telling me any variation of this being a good thing.

I think it’s a good thing! For a number of reasons.

One, they’re hard to communicate well, especially to a lay public. Mistakes can be costly as people will latch onto them, misunderstand them, and won’t be able to put them into perspective. Attempting to correct this is a continuous effort and frankly futile if the audience is hostile (as is still the case).

Two, priorities might change. Consider Mortoc’s post about CBT and HDRP. They got people all excited and it’s quite possible they’ve been indefinitely deferred or even dropped for very good reasons (viz. they’re able to hit their targets with their current tech and the investment to re-engineer isn’t worth it). 

Making a game is all push-me-pull-you. It’ll never be perfect even if things go smoothly, plans change, priorities change, things get cut, others get added. Keeping all that in the open will just make a lot of noise and get a lot of people unnecessarily angry.

14 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Well, is weekly communication that there’s no change in status of the fundamental bugs that are going to depend on milestone releases terribly useful?  It’d be nice, sure, but weekly restatement of “we’re still working on it but it’s tied to chunks of the game that are under development and won’t be ready for months” won’t give us anything we wouldn’t already know.  Sure it’s less communication, but I think it’s clear that IG is working away, and I’m not hugely fussed about fewer repetitive  short term communications about long term fixes if we’ve been told they’re long term and being worked on.  We already have the info we need.

I think a bit more detail as to progress across the board would be more useful and interesting - not necessarily Gantt charts, but details on where the main focus of development is, how they’re progressing on the next milestones, how they’re balancing resources between milestones and bugfixing, that sort of thing.  Big picture longer term more satisfying strategic stuff, in other words: the sort of information that’d quell most of the forum group over/under-think and speculation.  If we know that the fundamental fixes are tied to features, it’d answer our concerns about those much better, too.

8 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The post literally states that they are no longer going to communicate the fundamental feature bugs/fixes. 

when progress is made, we will keep you all updated.

The post literally states they will when there's progress on the issues. No point in hoarding several places on top of the list if it's just going to be a copypasta from previous report.

53 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The post literally states they will when there's progress on the issues. No point in hoarding several places on top of the list if it's just going to be a copypasta from previous report.

And you continue to miss my point.  If they stop communicating, the community will ask questions.  If that still goes over your head, nothing else I can day will make it make sense.

10 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And you continue to miss my point.  If they stop communicating, the community will ask questions.  If that still goes over your head, nothing else I can day will make it make sense.

And if every week they communicate "no progress, investigating" no one will ask questions?

"why this still says investigating, it's been a month and nothing changed, in no way this is a priority what the hell are you doing there"

People will be asking questions no matter what happens, and it was communicated what's going to happen. If someone was blind enough to not read it, it's their own fault.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

And if every week they communicate "no progress, investigating" no one will ask questions?

I never said that.  My point simply is that a lack of communication will lead to more questions (especially the "why aren't you communicating more with us like you said you would" variety).

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

"why this still says investigating, it's been a month and nothing changed, in no way this is a priority what the hell are you doing there"

People will be asking questions no matter what happens, and it was communicated what's going to happen. If someone was blind enough to not read it, it's their own fault.

I don't disagree with you.  But after the promises of more communication, do you think less is better?

On 10/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, Dakota said:

The follow-up paragraph addresses this. Major features that need to be rehauled will continue to be prioritized when it comes to communication.

"However, we still have these issues on our internal lists, so when progress is made, we will keep you all updated."

I fully get that you want to separate issues that can most likely be fixed in patches versus issues that require large changes reserved for major updates.  The problem is removing these items from the public, rather than creating a secondary list or simply tagging them into separate categories.  Else, the SAME issues are going to get reported over and over and removed over and over.  I highly recommend that you create such a list, put it with the KERB bug reports, however do not allow the community to comment on these issues - this will strictly be used for your communication to the community.  As these issues have certainly been reviewed by a designer and correction efforts have already been attempted (thus determining that it will require large effort and large code changes), there shouldn't be any further need for comments from the community (they can complain if they wish on formal monthly updates, where such bugs are usually mentioned).  Nevertheless, their existence must be reported to the community in some way, else it will cause a lot of frustration when people try to take a new version (or buy the game and try it for the first time), test the heck out of it, and try to report every single issue they have....only to find out that most of the issues are known but no longer being tracked or listed by K.E.R.B. anymore.   

When you waste the community's time testing, they stop testing...

On 10/24/2023 at 8:34 PM, Astroneer08 said:

Hey guys, I know how to reproduce this bug with a success rate of 60%, and I've noticed something. If you are in map view, and reload a save, the trajectory lines disappear. And, if you look at the bottom left corner of the navball/screen, you can see the PE/AP symbols.

It seems to be an issue with quicksaving and quickloading in general, I made a quicksave, then quickloaded that later, and despite only using mapview once, and being outside of it when I quicksaved, when I went into map view after, they disappeared.  Everything was in the right place, except not a single orbital line was visible for any body or craft.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, HammerTyme said:

I’m a little bummed that docking issues aren’t up high on this list… let alone on this list at all :( 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:00 PM, Intercept Games said:

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community.