A release date for science

gfdgfherytrey

Around a month ago, it was stated that Science would be released in December. When, was unknown. Today I am writing this because we are 5 days away from December and in need of an actual release date. It seems that the update will be delayed until January if we dont get an update. Please update us on this.

A casual observer would almost mistake this for a demand. In general, demands have an "or else..." clause. Curious what it is.

Also, we don't need a date. We were told December. If it's not, we'll find out. It's not like we need to update our plans if that's the case. And what makes you think that there's a delay until January if no release date is shared yet?

8 minutes ago, gfdgfherytrey said:

Its just been very quiet there recently

It is the holidays, which has always seen a slowdown here on the forums and Discord.  Not to mention that Mike is out on paternity leave.  Until April.

Dakota and the devs have indicated that they would like this to drop well before the Christmas break they are taking, and the general consensus is mid December.

Be patient.  It will drop when it drops.  And if it is delayed, there ain't a darned thing you can do about it.

25 minutes ago, gfdgfherytrey said:

Its just been very quiet there recently

There's a particular day in December when people tend to give each other gifts. I think it's called "Steam Winter Sale" or something like that. Expect the update to be timed to take advantage of that.

I'm actually on the side that its a bit weird they don't have a date out yet. December is an interesting one because while it has 21 paper working days, in practice you're lucky to get much of that in effective man hours on projects between people taking vacation time, which also knocks onto people being reluctant to release major things late into the month - If there's issues, half the teams out and you've only got a few days before christmas to fix it. It doesn't mean the month can't have launches at all, quite the contrary, but that you want to know well before december rolls around that the launch is ready to go. December working hours tends to turn into cleanup, maintenance and pet projects as a result.

If this was just some minor patch or content update to existing core mechanics, I wouldn't be too concerned, but this is major net new functionality that's unproven in so far as stability goes. If they were going to launch in the first working half of the month, that date shoulda been locked down and ready to communicate by now - Its only two weeks away. If they're not done and its not working to satisfaction yet, then alarm bells should be going off,  because your likely release window is pushing into the latter part of the week of the 11th, giving you very little time before christmas when you're liable to have the least staff to fix inevitable post launch issues.

I wouldn't be so bold as to say "If we don't hear about it by X, its definitely delayed" but I will say that going into a december release window without a december release date is not a reassuring sign. Every project I've ever been in that tried to pull something like that off either got burned, got heavily 'last minute MVP' cut down to size, or got pushed into late January when most of the hands were back and able to fix it. Its entirely possible the team is just being super conservative about announcing dates for fear of missing it, but then their lack of confidence in those dates is not confidence inspiring to me either.

1 hour ago, chefsbrian said:

Its entirely possible the team is just being super conservative about announcing dates for fear of missing it, but then their lack of confidence in those dates is not confidence inspiring to me either.

Or they are just heads-down testing right now to make sure they can release?

40 minutes ago, chefsbrian said:

That's not really how this works, your testers aren't the people determining release schedules and planning.

Devs should be testing as they code.  UAT does testing after code is done.  Release is determined based on the results of UAT.

Well, I guess it's because they expected the community to be upset if the release gets delayed. I believe this is reasonable, since there have been some hate posts during the 8-day long delay for patch 0.1.4. Since a milestone is much larger in size than a patch, I'd expect them to be more cautious with community management related to the topic. So yeah, just wait for one. 

Hate or not, they learned from past mistakes (the nonexistent drag bug) and decided to push the patch few days later to take care of a pressing issue(s). They didn't do it out of spite to annoy the community, that's for sure.

If the features and fixes for 0.2 are locked in place, they may announce a date, and perhaps start working on a hotfix if something doesn't make it to the main patch (but announce the known issues in patch notes).

On 11/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, WelshSteW said:

I imagine they'll all want a decent Christmas break, so I guess they'd want to release early enough to be able to fix any major bug(s) that slip(s) through? If we guess that they'll finish for Christmas on the 21st, I'd imagine they'd be aiming for release on / around the 8th, or very early the following week. Maybe.

I'm still sticking with this.

And I'll add that we'll get a release date sometime next week.

Edited by WelshSteW