Scale Modelling Thread

SunlitZelkova

Hi yall!

I decided to create this thread so we could share our scale models. Any type of assembly-required model is allowed (plastic, resin, wood).

EDIT 1/9/2024- Miniatures, such as Wargammer 40K and Star Wars, are now allowed.

For Lego models please use the Lego thread:

Also, if possible please try to follow the rules of the old Craft sharing thread and use a third party service to post your images, and then imbed them here (like Imgur).

Feel free to also ask questions about modelling in the thread.

Okay, I'll go first!

Here is my Tamiya 1/700 Project 949A (NATO Reporting Name: Oscar II) class submarine!

Unfortunately one the masts broke. I didn't realize it until I looked at these pictures and began to edit them ;.;

lj9cuCt.jpg

RQyEI0A.jpg

I bought it in Japan at the Tamiya Plamodel Factory in Shimbashi, Tokyo. I wanted something Soviet and small. I built it in about two days soon after I got back in early September. It was pretty easy, being mostly black and all. I messed up one of the decals which was stressful, but otherwise this was one of the most enjoyable builds I've done.

This kit actually is supposed to be a model of the Kursk, which infamously sank in 2000. But I wanted a Soviet sub so I left off the post-1993 Imperial Eagle and painted name decals.

I also bought a 1/48 T-55A mod. 1970 and a Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-27 Flogger D. I started working on the T-55 in September but stopped at the end of the month and haven't resumed. When I get it done I'll be sure to share it here!

I started modelling in 2014 after I got a Zero model from my grandparents in the previous year's Christmas. I went through a severe mental health crisis from late 2014 until very recently, and thus despite having a huge number of kits, including:

• 1/48 Tamiya A6M3 (long wing) Zero
  • 1/48 Tamiya A6M2 Zero
  • 1/48 Tamiya M6A1 Seiran submarine launched floatplane
  • 1/48 Tamiya A6M-2N seaplane fighter
  • 1/48 Ki-44 Shoki interceptor
  • 1/48 Tamiya A6M3 (short wing) Zero
  • 1/48 Tamiya A6M5b Zero
  • 1/48 Tamiya A6M5c Zero
  • 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-43 Hayabusa
  • 1/48 Tamiya Ki-46 reconnaissance plane
  • 1/48 Tamiya G4M1 Betty bomber
  • 1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Zero
  • 1/48 Hasegawa D3A1 Val bomber
  • 1/48 Hasegawa B5N2 Kate bomber
  • 1/72 Hasegawa H8K flying boat
  • 1/48 Revell Bf 109 G-10
  • 1/48 Revell P-38J Lightning

*deep breath*

I've only built four of those. This was probably a good thing though, because I didn't have the space for all of them anyways.

I also build ship models. I have a medium sized 1/700 scale diorama of a Japanese South Pacific naval base circa late 1942 or early 1943, but the table it is displayed on is messy right now so I didn't take pics to share yet. When I get around to cleaning it I'll post it here.

What models do yall build? How long have you been building? Let's discuss! :D

Edited by SunlitZelkova

• 1 month later...

Here's some pictures of that WWII diorama I talked about. I was in the middle of cleaning the table when I took the pics.

Bsab7SM.jpg

The destroyer Fubuki, submarines I-58 and I-16, a midget submarine, a sub chaser and some A6M2-N floatplane fighters lie at anchor, while Yamato, a minelayer, the destroyer Akatsuki, the carrier Zuikaku, and a minesweeper transit the base. I was going to add wakes to make the ships moving, but haven't yet. Perhaps it looks better when they are at anchor?

B-25s are attacking the base, with all making a bombing run on the Yamato. An Aichi D3A painted dark green and an A6M2 Zero in the colors of the Akagi carrier squadron close in to intercept.

The planes aren't cemented down on the deck of the carrier, because when I made this model I was 14 and walked to be able to rearrange the planes. I didn't feel like tediously rearranging them, so I left them as is.

All of the models are Tamiya, and I made the land scenery and dock myself. The cranes, buildings, and water effect plate are from Tamiya too. All 1/700 scale.

TptlGBp.jpg

Three Zeros, one in green camouflage, one in the colors of a Zero from the Japanese movie The Eternal Zero, and one in Rabaul Kokutai colors are on the docks. A captured B-25 is also present. The dock is lined with anti-aircraft guns.

rU4bzid.jpg

Next to I-58 is a E14Y seaplane. This aircraft type had the distinction of being the only enemy aircraft to bomb the US mainland during World War II, and, in fact, one of few foreign aircraft to ever make an attack on the mainland US at all.

9g3kw1x.jpg

I fixed the mast on my Pr. 949A class submarine :D

And finally, here's my most recent completion: the Tamiya 1/48 T-55A medium tank.

kcxu3q5.jpg

This side looks alright, but on the other the decals broke when I was trying to take them off the sheet. I learned the hard way you should wait 45 seconds before trying to move the decals off the sheet, NOT 10 seconds as the instructions say.

6 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Wonderful, I currently have some Star Wars Shatterpoint miniatures that I need to get to building, this should also be for plastic miniatures, too.

I changed the rules, so feel free to upload them!

• 1 month later...

Wanted to revive the thread, and also I had a quick/urgent question for anyone who's skilled at fixing old miniatures: 

I have had this LAAT L/E patrol transport for Star Wars Legion. I got an army set for my birthday back in January, and I wanted to fix it after screwing up the paintwork (ie, streaks, buildup on panel lines, rushed interiors, etc.) I used some IPA (I forgot what percentage I'll add later), which I have used for other miniatures to clean bad paintwork off of, and tried to take it apart. I forgot that I had sealed it, and it got really sticky, which I expected because a few of the other ones got like that too, but it wouldn't come off. I also was taking it apart, but snapped some pieces, so things seem pretty hopeless right now. My uncle who paints action figures and stuff, has offered to help me repair it, but as of the time of posting, he has had the flu for a bit now, and I just got better from two bouts with the flu at the start of 2024, so I don't want to get sick again. I'm also concerned that it may not be up to a tabletop standard, which is a bit of an issue if I can't fix it.

Now, on Amazon, it's more affordable than the price that I bought it for in 2021-ish at a store in Utah when I was up there, and I can have it for pickup at an amazon locker thing nearby before the end of the week. I'm considering just getting a new one, which may be easier/convenient, but I don't want to waste my budget on another one, because who knows what could show up, and I'm trying to also save for a decent gaming computer and setup.

help?

also i'll put pics of my new army later.

link

53 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

help?

Is the Amazon dealer third party or from Amazon itself? If the latter, it will probably be restocked for while, in which case you should find out how long it will remain available before deciding to purchase.

In addition, it depends on how much you desire the new computer and whether there is something else you'd really want. For the first one, remember that computer parts are always available (although I don't know anything at all about price fluctuation so that's a factor), so if there is something that might go off shelves soon it might be better to get that if you want it.

And if there is some other ship or pack of figures you want, if it's new it will probably remain available for awhile, whereas the old gunship could disappear, so it might be better to get that- if you want a brand new one.

If I was in such a situation with electric trains or plastic aircraft models I'd just get a new one.

its from amazon directly. The computer is a more long-term thing right now, and I can't really work right now to buy it. Hopefully in the summer i'll be able to get a job, college stuff/splitting apartment bills with my roommate is keeping me from getting one right now. during summer break I can work.

its basically a plastic aircraft model, but for the game. I'll sleep on it, but I am seriously considering buying it now. I can refurbish the other one and use it for display and stuff, and the other can be used for games. thanks you guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great idea for a thread! Since trying to recreate the Apollo lander in KSP I’ve been obsessed with the LM. I really wanted a LM model IRL and took some time to make two. I’m working on a third too. Using the Airfix kit here I made a realistic LM-5 (which I’m still working on) and a recreation of the Grumman contractor model seen here

Here is my Grumman contractor model. 

F531-F67-B-A321-4-CF2-9-F21-A9-E3-EAFE48

1-E8667-B5-AC13-4701-99-D7-A8-FDC236-D0-

37-B2643-E-24-C4-4196-B873-46-D2389-DE65

C53-BF864-071-D-4-CB4-88-C2-7-ACCB2-F898

0-A935-C17-71-C3-4-A76-B7-D4-25-D37-A64-

For the contractor model hatch I had to cut out the existing EVA hatch then glue in a flat piece of plastic. I then edited a screen shot of the printed on hatch and printed it out on paper then glued it in. I also had to custom make the little red generator that the real model has by kit bashing three parts together and painting them. The US flag and ‘United States’ stickers I had custom made which was a bit pricy but I have a tonne of spares. I’m tempted to make more and sell them!  I’m quite happy with the overall look. It does feel like the real model when looking at it.

MJ

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Great idea for a thread! Since trying to recreate the Apollo lander in KSP I’ve been obsessed with the LM. I really wanted a LM model IRL and took some time to make two. I’m working on a third too. Using the Airfix kit here I made a realistic LM-5 (which I’m still working on) and a recreation of the Grumman contractor model seen here

Here is my Grumman contractor model. 

F531-F67-B-A321-4-CF2-9-F21-A9-E3-EAFE48

1-E8667-B5-AC13-4701-99-D7-A8-FDC236-D0-

37-B2643-E-24-C4-4196-B873-46-D2389-DE65

C53-BF864-071-D-4-CB4-88-C2-7-ACCB2-F898

0-A935-C17-71-C3-4-A76-B7-D4-25-D37-A64-

For the contractor model hatch I had to cut out the existing EVA hatch then glue in a flat piece of plastic. I then edited a screen shot of the printed on hatch and printed it out on paper then glued it in. I also had to custom make the little red generator that the real model has by kit bashing three parts together and painting them. The US flag and ‘United States’ stickers I had custom made which was a bit pricy but I have a tonne of spares. I’m tempted to make more and sell them!  I’m quite happy with the overall look. It does feel like the real model when looking at it.

MJ

I love how it has that 1960s vibe to it! You did an excellent job with that! What if you did the space shuttle in a style like that next?

24 minutes ago, BA-Forums said:

I love how it has that 1960s vibe to it! You did an excellent job with that! What if you did the space shuttle in a style like that next?

Thank you! That’s a cool idea. If I get around to finishing my other models I might give that a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently almost finished with a new model rocket!

KKevtQ3.jpeg

It's the Estes Sasha kit: a two-stage semi-scale model of a fictional Soviet missile.

More images:

Spoiler

YBulPTv.jpeg

uCOhzIn.jpeg

VKoJzcs.jpeg

Still need to do the parachute and shock cord; hopefully I'll get to fly it this weekend.

lTFmAQC.jpeg

I did fly it! Video coming on Monday to my YouTube channel (Link in signature).

Also, I managed to return home with more rockets than I left with:

E2EBv0z.jpeg

Got this from a prize raffle at the launch.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:14 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

Here's some pictures of that WWII diorama I talked about. I was in the middle of cleaning the table when I took the pics.

Bsab7SM.jpg

The destroyer Fubuki, submarines I-58 and I-16, a midget submarine, a sub chaser and some A6M2-N floatplane fighters lie at anchor, while Yamato, a minelayer, the destroyer Akatsuki, the carrier Zuikaku, and a minesweeper transit the base. I was going to add wakes to make the ships moving, but haven't yet. Perhaps it looks better when they are at anchor?

B-25s are attacking the base, with all making a bombing run on the Yamato. An Aichi D3A painted dark green and an A6M2 Zero in the colors of the Akagi carrier squadron close in to intercept.

The planes aren't cemented down on the deck of the carrier, because when I made this model I was 14 and walked to be able to rearrange the planes. I didn't feel like tediously rearranging them, so I left them as is.

All of the models are Tamiya, and I made the land scenery and dock myself. The cranes, buildings, and water effect plate are from Tamiya too. All 1/700 scale.

TptlGBp.jpg

Three Zeros, one in green camouflage, one in the colors of a Zero from the Japanese movie The Eternal Zero, and one in Rabaul Kokutai colors are on the docks. A captured B-25 is also present. The dock is lined with anti-aircraft guns.

rU4bzid.jpg

Next to I-58 is a E14Y seaplane. This aircraft type had the distinction of being the only enemy aircraft to bomb the US mainland during World War II, and, in fact, one of few foreign aircraft to ever make an attack on the mainland US at all.

9g3kw1x.jpg

I fixed the mast on my Pr. 949A class submarine :D

And finally, here's my most recent completion: the Tamiya 1/48 T-55A medium tank.

kcxu3q5.jpg

This side looks alright, but on the other the decals broke when I was trying to take them off the sheet. I learned the hard way you should wait 45 seconds before trying to move the decals off the sheet, NOT 10 seconds as the instructions say.

Wow! That looks great! 

Slight problem: the box came with metal miniatures for it, so I’m forced to use the M113 instead of the M106 Mortar Carrier. The good news is I have LOTS of spare resin figures from the American Starter Force Box.

Metal is annoying to prime…

3 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

Slight problem: the box came with metal miniatures for it, so I’m forced to use the M113 instead of the M106 Mortar Carrier. The good news is I have LOTS of spare resin figures from the American Starter Force Box.

Metal is annoying to prime…

So, wait...M113s? What alternate timeline is this WWIII set in?