Build a Sentence... One Word at a Time!

Kimera Industries

Posted (edited)

Saltines, bathyspheres, are

Spoiler

“Rule 4: You may only add a word before the last word in the sentence when necessary.” Given that word 1 of this sentence was given with an included comma it was necessary to place prior to “are.” Bathyspheres also was placed with a comma which means the next player needs to place ahead of “are” to maintain proper grammar.

new page

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 6/1/2024 at 9:28 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Saltines, bathyspheres, are

Hide contents

“Rule 4: You may only add a word before the last word in the sentence when necessary.” Given that word 1 of this sentence was given with an included comma it was necessary to place prior to “are.” Bathyspheres also was placed with a comma which means the next player needs to place ahead of “are” to maintain proper grammar.

new page

You could have just removed the comma

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected

Spoiler

@Kimera Industries nope. I intended the comma and thus placed it. And once again per proper english grammar have had to preempt the “are” because of the comma. There is another comma still in place prior to the “are” so once again the next player per proper english grammatical rules really needs to place there. 

Posted (edited)

OK, new rule:

Punctuation is decided by the user posting the next word.

If you start with "Saltines" the next user can decide to make it a list: "Saltines, bathyspheres" or a different word that makes it not a list: "Sardines are"

Placing a comma after a word when the structure is still unknown reduces the possible paths the sentence could take.

For clarity, the current sentence will remain as is.

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, but

Spoiler

That sentence is a prime example of why this rule is in place now. With the addition of the comma, it was forced to be a list at least three items long. The next user was deprived of the opportunity to make it "Saltines and bathyspheres" (two items), or "Saltines are" (one item.)

Edited by Kimera Industries

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, conjoined but

Spoiler

Grammatically given the fact i cant add a new comma to conjoined someone really needs to place either an oxford comma (eggs, and) (a comma on conjoined with an immediate and) or an and without doing oxford comma. Until that happens by rules of standard english grammar the sentence will be improper.

On 6/2/2024 at 1:28 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Based on this reasoning." conjoined but separated" made grammatical sense and did not require both a new word and a new comma to be placed. Doing so actually stops it from making grammatical sense. By your previous examples we will take it that removing a bad post in order to get back on track is the way to go. Please remember we are building a sentence, not forcing a list.

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, conjoined but separated from

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, conjoined, and distinct but separated from

Spoiler

@ColdJ you missed the AND that was placed as/with the oxford comma causing you to inappropriately delete a word, namely the AND. I have thusly corrected your error and completed that list so the sentence can proceed. Sentences can and DO contain lists good sir and i will thank you to accept that. I am going to urge any further side conversations such as this be contained in the spoilers so we do not continue to spam, clutter, disrupt, muddy, intrude, and otherwise diminish any on going sentence building. 

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, conjoined, distinct but separated from reality

Spoiler

Finding a loophole to sneak in a new comma aside, the "and but" did not make grammatical sense, proved by your next posts attempt to try to make it make sense. From now on I am going to use your previous examples of sentence conflict resolution as my guide to the way I will respond to these situations. As such I am removing the word that did not fit at the time of posting and leaving the comma as if it was added with the word distinct.

Posted (edited)

Saltines, bathyspheres, submarines, are connected, conjoined, and distinct but separated from reality tonight.

Spoiler

Once again im forced to correct the sentence because a word was inappropriately and very incorrectly removed. Ive euthanized it.

New: Players

———Oxford Comma, A Quick Note———

In English-language punctuation, the serial comma, also referred to as the series comma, Oxford comma, or Harvard comma, is a comma placed immediately after the penultimate term and before the coordinating conjunction (and or or) in a series of three or more terms.

Edited by AlamoVampire

———note before adding my word———

im now forced to alter my own prior addition to maintain proper grammar.

———end note———

Players eat rhetorical speeches vivaciously

10 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

———note before adding my word———

im now forced to alter my own prior addition to maintain proper grammar.

———end note———

Players eat rhetorical speeches vivaciously

I'm sorry, I genuinely missed that. I'll try to remember next time.

Players eat rhetorical speeches vivaciously and