A Kerbal On EVA Exerts A Force On The Vessel

00Dave

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win | CPU: AMD Ry 7 4800 | GPU: NVID RTX 3060 | RAM16gb

i left the pod and it starts to move and wont stop until i board again

Included Attachments:

image.png?ex=6594801d&is=65820b1d&hm=1cb

quicksave_1.json

Edited by The Space Peacock

30 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Jeq said:

Thanks. I am constantly trying to search bugs but it seems that forum search doesn't find bugs very well. It needs tweaking. It feels it doesn't try to search from bug reports anything, shows everything else.

The forums have a lot of tech debt so it's hard to tweak things. (The forum is more than 12 years old)

For searching, don't check the radio button in the search menu (it's currently put there for something else not used but that will likely change) but just go to the bug reports section page and type in the search bar (see if there is "these forums" shown):

fFbHkez.png

This will only search into the active bug reports (not the archive) but it's generally good enough.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

When I EVA a kerbal on the surface on the Mun near the arch monument, the kerbal causes a force to push against the craft causing it to fall over.  This is from a small command pod.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: I5-12600kf | GPU: Rtx3070 | RAM16gb ddr4

Whenever a Kerbal gets out for EVA the ship jumps a bit or starts turning if it’s in orbit. 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: GTX 1080 | RAM32 GB

While a Kerbal is EVAing and attached to the exterior of a vessel, that vessel's trajectory will drift continuously until the Kerbal re-enters the craft. This include reintroducing orbital drift.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super | RAM32Gb 3200Mhz

Mahalo!

I am currently playing on v0.2.0 and having far more fun than I have in recent versions of the game. I did notice that while I was on Minmus and attempting to perform an EVA from a complete standstill (my craft was firmly planted on the surface of the body), as soon as my little green fella appeared on screen, the craft would tip over. This happened repeatedly, despite my repeated attempts at quicksaving/quickloading to a moment before I attempted the EVA.

In order to get my small green "person" to be able to take hold of the door in which they just exited, I had to turn off "Auto Friction Control" and crank the "Friction Level" knob all the way up to 10 to keep my craft from tipping over. I will admit that I landed on a slight hill, but not one that should be capable to tipping over a craft even with the highest center of gravity. No more than a few degrees at most is the incline.

After doing so, I noticed that the craft appears to be oscillating back and forth very quickly, almost as if it never truly reaches equilibrium. I admit this is likely due to my having increased the friction value, but is frustrating nonetheless.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this game, the For Science! update really made the player experience far better in every aspect. There are still frustrating bugs everywhere, but this update gives me hope that they will be fixed in the future and that this game will eventually come to be fully released.

Included Attachments:

kspEvaBugReport_2.png.5f930f28d97dd5ac9c

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X | GPU: GTX 1080 | RAM32 GBSystem Specs:

Spoiler

systemSpecs.png.0b460feed3d50ec2c20a9ac2

Someone else posted this bug a few hours ago but didn't  include many details -

When I EVA in orbit, my orbital velocity changes rapidly and also I cannot get back into the capsule.

This is absolutely repeatable right now. I've time warped around and adjusted my orbit before EVA'ing. I've also returned to KSC and then gone back to control from tracking station as well as bring a new rocket into orbit. Happens every time, though the effect is much less pronounced at higher orbits.

I don't think any objects are blocking the exit of the capsule. The things that I think are possibly irregular about this build(attached) are 1: it is a capsule inside a fairing and 2: I removed the whole rocket body, rotated the capsule 180 degrees, and reattached the rocket body(to line up the ladder).

Happy to try to provide more details as needed!

Video Evidence:

Files:

LightMoon.json

KSP2_EVA_Drift_Bug.mp4

Vanilla - first 'splash down mission' and I decide to EVA the Kerbal.  Prior to the landing, chute would not open.  Hit the water at high speed, craft went deep, chute finally opened (underwater) and then both bobbed to the surface.  Or, rather, neither bobbed.  They were sitting on my screen absolutely static, with the wave animation going on around the craft.  Hit EVA and the craft started hauling through the water in the direction the Kerbal was facing.

As the craft slowed down, it bobbed.  Then got static again.  Repeated EVA and the game shuddered, then the craft started to scoot through the water again.

Included Attachments:

On 12/19/2023 at 4:42 PM, 00Dave said:

OS: Win | CPU: AMD Ry 7 4800 | GPU: NVID RTX 3060 | RAM16gb

i left the pod and it starts to move and wont stop until i board again

Included Attachments:

image.png?ex=6594801d&is=65820b1d&hm=1cb

quicksave_1.json

Exact same thing happened to me.  Craft was going 120+ m/s when I boarded - and then it slowed down again.  Kerbal Power!

Same face, btw.

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) I9-10900F CPU @ 2.80GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM32Go

I experimented this bug at least on 2 occasions:

- First: Retuning from space (Capsule MK1 + GSCM01 + HS-125) I landed in sea on Kerbal. I then do an eva. The ship start moving East at about 10m/s. The ship keeps moving as long as the Kerbal is "tied" to the capsule (ie: boarding or leaving the ship stops the movement).

- Second: On mun after landing. Doing an Eva, the ship try to move, but do to "friction" it finaly rotate an fall on ground.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 22H2 | CPU: i9-10900K | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM32Go

Hi,

While doing the first missions where you have to land on the surface of mun or minmus, I noticed that when you do an EVA on the surface on any of these bodies, it gives the ship a little punch that makes it go completely crazy upwards and - possibly - crash it.

I'll try to make a video the next time I face this issue but I've already succeeded in reproducing this issue more than once (every landing in fact)

Included Attachments:

When EVA:ing and contact with vessel, exiting vessel flips landers.

Included Attachments:

37 minutes ago, Spicat said:

@Jeq, merged your bug report.

Thanks. I am constantly trying to search bugs but it seems that forum search doesn't find bugs very well. It needs tweaking. It feels it doesn't try to search from bug reports anything, shows everything else.

5 hours ago, Spicat said:

The forums have a lot of tech debt so it's hard to tweak things. (The forum is more than 12 years old)

For searching, don't check the radio button in the search menu (it's currently put there for something else not used but that will likely change) but just go to the bug reports section page and type in the search bar (see if there is "these forums" shown):

fFbHkez.png

This will only search into the active bug reports (not the archive) but it's generally good enough.

Note that this only works on desktop. The mobile version of the forums just searches the entire forums for some stupid reason.

OS: Windows 10 Home | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 | RAM32GB

I'm attaching a saved game. In it, Val is in her lander on the surface of Moho, ready to go find herself a snack.

To reproduce the bug, click on the EVA button to move Val to the lander can's door ladder. After a very short moment, the entire lander jumps up (seemingly pushed by an upward force from Val herself). It will then spin around a bit, losing parts, and can end up with the thing accelerating along the ground with Val underneath.

If you EVA Val and them immediately hit Space to get her to let go, the lander doesn't jump.

If Val then jumps back on and grabs the lander can, she also doesn't exert any force on the lander.

Included Attachments:

BUGValexitingcausesflip.json

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.