Parts inside fairing heating up

GradientOGames

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5700X | GPU: RTX 3050 | RAM32GB

Parts in question are batteries and solar panels inside a fairing. The batteries are fully inside and are 100% occluded by the fairing. However, while launching through the Kerbin atmosphere, the parts are getting heated up close to the point of destruction.

Included Attachments:

screenshott2.PNG.9bf38b4cc58fee87ea8a643

44 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 | GPU: 1650 | RAM16gb

When I place some parts, such as the RA-15 and RA-2 relay antennas inside a fairing, launching too fast through the atmosphere will still heat them even if the parts are inside a protective fairing.

W8A8i5W.png

Here is the ship, the Solar Challenger 2, although I have experienced this bug with other ships. I attempted to fix it by mounting a heat shield in front of the antenna, but that did not work either.

4d1wkHF.png

Once it gets going fast enough, the relay antenna starts to heat up despite being visibly inside the fairing.

4fwtmWZ.png

Heating up some more.

6f1lJ4b.png

And, gone.

xaGr8eg.png

Visibly gone once the fairing has disappeared.

This is a separate bug but if I go slow enough to prevent overheating, antennas and docking ports (and maybe other parts?) do not appear to radiate heat away and will stay nearly overheated for the rest of the flight.

To reproduce, enclose an antenna in a fairing and go fast through the atmosphere.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti | RAM16.0 GB

I launched a small rocket with a satellite protected by a fairing and my satellite started to burn up inside the fairing. Altitude under 25,000 m on Kerbin at speeds around and above 1400 m/s

Screenshot and craft file included

Included Attachments:

Probe1.json

OS: Windows 10, 64bit | CPU: 11th Gen Intel I7-11700 @ 2.5GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER | RAM16 GB

Severity - High

Frequency - High

What is the point of a fairing? The fairing is meant to protect the payload from atmospheric heat and forces during ascent. What do fairings do in KSP2? They make your rocket more pointy. Seriously, why are my payloads still exploding due to heating on ascent, even when protected with a fairing? At this point I might as well stick my payload on the end of my rocket like a marshmallow at the end of a stick.

Please fix!!

Regards

-J

Included Attachments:

OS: 11 | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K | GPU: RTX 3060 | RAM16GB

No matter the size or shape of the fairing, the RA-15 antenna on top of the vehicle (inside fairing) heats to the point of failure

Included Attachments:

FairingBug.json

12 hours ago, RabidSmurf said:

This should be a hotfix honestly, it's gameplay breaking. The first Jool mission to send a comm probe there is extremely difficult to achieve as the payload fairing doesn't protect the payload and you can't cheese it by mounting a heatshield ontop of the 86gm antenna.

I agree. This is the most annoying bug I've encountered so far. I have to deactivate the heating management before each launch.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

OS: Win 11 | CPU: i5-13600K | GPU: RTX 4060 Ti | RAM64GB

Hi,

I get a problem in For Science! where the items inside the fairings get heating issues during accent, even though they are inside the fairing and therefore should be protected by heating? 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

Severity: Med
Frequency: Med

I've encontered an issue with some parts that are covered by fairing overheating and exploding on ascent thru the Kerbin atmosphere while the fairing is still intact. 
I've seen it only on some on my crafts and the issue is replicable on these crafts every time even after reverting to VAB/launch and upon reloading the game.

On the attached screenshot: docking port on top of the nander capsule overheated and exploded while being covered by the fairing

Attaching the craft used when I've encontered the issue

Included Attachments:

minilander.json

DxDiag.txt

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900kk CPU @ 3.60GHz | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 | RAM64.0 GB

I built a fairing like normal around a probe and then I launched at a 60-degree angle when I was around 9km up, the first part in the fairing (RA-15) started heating up, even though it was in a complete fairing. And when I was around 15km up, it exploded. 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 | RAM32G

During ascent, parts inside a fairing (e.g. a probe's antenna) are subject to a lot of heat that seems like it should not be there (that is, it should be protected from the heat by the fairing). It makes even reasonable launches of probes quite difficult, as the velocity ranges through the upper atmosphere must be much slower than would be ideal, to avoid this heating effect. 

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: MapView Focus and Targeting; Flight Plan; Maneuver Node Controller; K2D2; Micro-Engineer; Interplanetary Calculator| Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-core | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32G

While playing this morning, a probe core inside a closed cargo bay which was inside the Cockleshell fairing started overheating during ascent.  Started around 30km, and never stopped.  The image below is from LKO at ~100km some 3 days after launch.  I've quicksaved and reloaded; no avail.  I've exited the game and restarted; no avail.  The heat gauge remains even though the craft isn't in an atmosphere (and really shouldn't have overheated to begin with during ascent).

YpoDDhH.jpg

Fairings don't protect against heat. My small extendable solar panels keep blowing up inside the fairings (the ones that aren't covered with their own box and can't retract again).

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i9-9820X | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti | RAM64 GB

I built a probe with a static antenna at the tip and enclosed it entirely within a small fairing and it always overheated and was destroyed during launch. The same thing happened to a docking port and a probe core that I enclosed within a small fairing as well. So far the only thing that protects the docking port and probe core is a thermal shield installed at the tip with a stack separator. I have not tried this with any other size of fairing.

Included Attachments:

UPDATE:

Specific to the issue I reported above with the parts overheating but, despite being in orbit, the temperature gauge doesn't go away.  I looked at the JSON file this morning, and I can confirm that the temperature is not being altered once you get to orbit.  I have 3 OKTO probes on my current orbital build, and they all have different temperature readings.  The 3 values I am seeing in the JSON file are:

I would have expected all three of these readings to be similar, but they are not.  All 3 of these OKTO probe cores are contained within a small cargo bay, and all of them were lofted into space in the Cockleshell fairing.  I did check the temperature readings of the 3 cargo bays I have on the craft:

As mentioned above, it does not appear that the system is cooling parts off once they are out of the atmosphere.  While the craft is moving at orbital speed, it is not under thrust AND it is not in the upper atmosphere (as defined in the game); it's current altitude is ~100km above sea level.  Much like in the KSP1, I would have expected the temperature of the parts to drop once reaching orbit (or, at a minimum, once thrust in the atmosphere reduced enough to not produce extreme heat).

I can provide a copy of the JSON file from the saved game if necessary.

Edited by Scarecrow71