Vessel Is Rotating/Spinning Away And On Suborbital Trajectory After Loading [Likely due to landing legs]

The Aziz

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Kinda solves itself after restarting the game, but attempting another reload brings the issue back.

Savefile attached. Start the game, load, reload, observe as the lander goes weee into space.

(also you can firstly attempt a docking these two because that doesn't work either)

Included Attachments:

autosave_2.json

Edited by Spicat
edited title to reflect that this bug can also occur for a singular vessel

17 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 | CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 | RAM16GB G.Skill

I was in Tylo orbit and quicksaved, after i failed to land, i loaded up my quicksave.  As soon as it was done loading, my lander was spinning incredibly fast and had to stop it with Timewarp.

Also the Orbit was now messed up and i was on a crash curse with the surface of Tylo. The Pe was decreased in Ap increased

The also happend when controlling the craft from the Trackingstation.

Included Attachments:

OS: Win 11 | CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | GPU: GeForce GTX680 | RAM16GB G.Skill

After i had decoupled my lander from the Mothership in low Tylo Orbit, i made a quicksave and reloaded it after i failed the landing. As soon as it was reloaded, my Craft began to spin with about 2rps.

My Ap was increased and my Pe decreased. I was now on a Crash course with Tylo.

This also happend with my mother ship. After i had decoupled i made a save state while controlling my lander and controlling my Mothership. After reloading the quicksave for my Mothership it also began to spin, but with a lower rps. It seems like that a crafts mass and size effects the velocity of its rotations.

Severity: High

Frequency: Low

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: UITK 2.3..0, BepInEx 1.6.0, MicroEngineer 1.6.0, Transfer Window 0.1.5, Node Manager 1.1.1 | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 Home 64b | CPU: 13th Gen Intel i5-13600KF (20 CPUs) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti | RAM16GB

A game is saved just before starting the docking operation when two ships are close to each other. The attempt to retry requires the game to be restarted as if the save is loaded from the ongoing play one of the ships (one not under control) gets slingshoted away

Included Attachments:

!Rendezvouus.json

OS: Win 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 | RAM16GB

I found another report for the spin after loading but I'm mentioning it just to be sure. https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/221523-loading-two-close-vessels-in-orbit-causes-one-to-spin-away-at-high-speed/

I was doing a rescue mission. After undocking my lander, I did a maneuver to land next to the craft on the ground. I failed and decided to reload.

The game reloaded the saved orbit but on my current position. So everything has been shifted forward in time.

On the screenshot you can see the vessel in orbit is at the same position as the vessel on the ground. And the crash warning is way ahead.

When I saved, the crash warning (red triangle) was next to the vessel on the ground.

I hope it makes sense.

Included Attachments:

When time warping huge times and switching back to vessel, it might cause vessel to rotate very fast. Sometimes so fast that vessel parts rips off.

Turning sas off before switching to another vessels seems prevent this happening. I had sas turned on and pointint to prograde.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 专业版 64-bit (10.0, Build 22631) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti | RAM16384MB

I had a vessel around Mun with an orbit of about 10km x 11km.

If I switched control to another vessel and then switched back, then its orbit would changed to10km x -63km (actually the current altitute x -63km).

I've seen this bug twice.

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22024-01-2314-02-29.mp4

save.zip

Edited by DibzNr

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

1. Load autosave_3.json
2. Go to tracking station
2. Go to KSC
3. Go to tracking station
4. Focus on Default Name-9 (it's orbiting Pol), observe stable orbit.
5. Load the vehicle and look what happens to flight parameters

Included Attachments:

autosave_3.json

Edited by DibzNr

After landing on the Mun I launched into a 10K orbit then saved and quit. When I returned to the game and switched to the craft it was on a trajectory that had it impacting the surface about a quarter of an orbit later.

KSP2 v0.2.1.0, Mods: none

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz | GPU: 8 GB Radeon RX570 | RAM16 GB DDR4

I have experienced this with enough regularity that it feels like it may be a bug rather than a "one-off glitch" type error.

Sorry if this has been previously reported (I couldn't find a current report on the forum)

When switching to a craft in orbit from the Tracking Station (I haven't tested it with craft-to-craft switching). The craft sometimes receives what I can only describe as a "bump". As the craft is loaded it will start to tumble (sometimes violently) and it's velocity has changed; sometimes this is low as 10m/s but it can be as high as 100m/s.

Ordinarily this isn't too much of an issue, but around the lower size bodies it becomes problematic. Around Minmus (on the high end of this scale) it could put the craft on an impact trajectory that would crash within half an orbit, around Gilly it could put the craft on a trajectory that would throw it out of the SOI. Both of these cases have been experienced.

It seems most noticeable on very low orbits eg. Minmus ~7.5km, eccentricity less than 0.2

Different mass and part count crafts - standard attachment of parts (no part clipping)

At the moment I work around it and include extra fuel budget for when it eventually happens but I feel this is preventing "stripped-out, zero margin" type vessels that I like to build; "max 10 tons to Duna and back" type craft.

PS. I only picked up playing this recently (after buying it on release) as the recent optimisations have given respectable fps figures on my setup - well done on this!

Included Attachments:

I suppose they're related ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ the only difference is that when there are two, it's always the other vessel that goes weeee (at least for me, not sure about others)

Just now, The Aziz said:

I suppose they're related ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ the only difference is that when there are two, it's always the other vessel that goes weeee (at least for me, not sure about others)

I suspect this bug is related to landing legs, so if the craft you're controlling is always the one without landing legs (or the one that is big enough to not be noticeable), it can explain why you don't see it for the current one.