Incorrect "landed" status while in orbit causes trajectory to disappear in Map View

KerbalBK

Bug Report

This has happened to me, except I don't even see a Ap or Pe indicator when this happens. I'm on v0.1.4.1, no mods.

Nothing seems to fix this for my craft that is currently affected. I've tried going to the KSC, then back to the tracking station to take then control of my craft. I've tried saving and exiting out of the game entirely. And just going to tracking station and then back to craft.

I did some investigation and found some interesting things:

My save opens up straight to the craft in flight. If I go straight to the tracking station and back to controlling the craft, it continues to follow along its trajectory (even though I can't see what that is in map view). BUT if I go to the KSC and then back to the tracking station and take control of the craft, the craft heads straight downward towards Kerbin like all momentum was lost. This is repeatable. Either way I go to the tracking station (straight from flight or from KSC) the craft's state says "landed" in the tracking station.  It seems like, at least for me, the game believes the craft is landed and therefore is not showing a trajectory line.

In the screenshot example below I wasn't even in orbit yet, just suborbital:

fBiYiwY.png

I would like to be able to provide a save file, I'm just not sure how to do that.

98 answers to this question

to anyone still running into this bug, here's a workaround:

1.  First, go to <<C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\CAMPAIGNNAME>> with 'CAMPAIGNNAME' the name of your campaign
  2. Find and open the .json file for your affected save file in any text editor program
  3. Locate your vessel data within the save .json. It should be next to "assemblyName":    (tip: use CTRL-F)
  4. Scroll down a bit until you see the line "Situation": "Landed"  (or "Splashed")
  5. Change the Situation from "Landed" to "Orbiting". Save the file, reopen the game and your craft should now have its trajectory back!

See the images below for some clarification on each step. 
Spoiler

Step 2: locate your save .json

image.png.6d20738b0efbcafd4b2dc1851c12e31e.png

Step 3: locate your vessel data within the save .json

image.thumb.png.68a90a55be2e7c2b3ffa9c9056155415.png

Step 4: locate the "Situation": line

image.png.20049ea296c0b04fb64e7653f88d8e73.png

Step 5: change the situation to "Orbiting"

image.png.c814596cf88665375ae5eccf566e84f8.png

Edited by The Space Peacock

Yesterday came an Patch, but this Bug isn´t fixed.

So i created an Video to show the Problem and a bit of understanding this Problem.

I´m not sure that i can reach the development Team via this Forum, but i´m glad that i´m not the only one with this Problem...

@Meb Kat merged your report with this one. there's 2 known bugs that cause trajecory lines that dissapear; the one you encounter looks like the version caused by an incorrect vessel state (workaround for it here). the other bug is this one, which may be the other bug you ran into. the cause is still not understood well so feel free to submit a report or reply on it with what happened to you!

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24340MB) | RAM65480

I tried to do an Apollo-Like Mun mission with a two staged lander. After I was done with the Mun and light up the ascent stage of the lander, the game thought I was still landed on the munar surface despite being in orbit.

In order to replicate this bug, load up the quicksave, land anywhere on the Mun, and try to rendezvous with the command module in Munar orbit.

Included Attachments:

VesselStateLanded_logs.zip

@Flush Foot Merged your report with this post, appreciate you going out of your way to try and find the bug report first before making your own post, this bug and the trajectory line bug are two separate issues

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home | CPU: Intel Core I7-10700K 3.8GHz | GPU: NVIDIEA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti | RAM64 gb

I believe this occurred after separation of solid boosters for this vessel's first stage. Vessel is in a landed state while in orbit.

This removes visibility of trajectory lines,

as well as allowing recovery of the vessel while in flight.

I know this bug has occurred for several versions but I do not recall if it's been marked as fixed in the past

Included Attachments:

Incorrectlandedstate_logs.zip

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Landed on Mun and then used an ascent capsule to return to Kerbin, didn't have a conicals the whole way back but I did on the trip out. This marks the 2nd bug of the trip (first was another loose of radially attached boosters and stabilizers which I added to my other bug report as repeatibility proof).

Here is a video of the mun lift-off and return to show the missing conics, its happened a few times in 0.1.4 and eailer and this is my 5th mission in 0.1.5 (first really off the planet/orbit though as I was doing that rover challenge prior).

Included Attachments:

OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEI | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU: ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 OC 10GB | RAMKingston Fury Beast 32GB 5200MHz

First off, the Delta V readout is VERY wrong, i noticed this even while in the VAB and not only this, but i cannot see the actual trajectory of the craft anymore. It is moving at like 1100 m/s^(-1) and is still accelerating to raise apogee. Might want to get a dev to have a look at this and if this issue has already been fixed then why on earth am i still getting it every once in a blue moon? Also, is there anything on my end i can do to prevent things like these from continuing to occur? 

Included Attachments:

31 minutes ago, Spicat said:

@PupBoi, merged your bug report.

If you have a save file and/or a craft file, it would help.

I know I threw the whole folder in, but just for future bug reporting reference is there anything else that I you'd want included in a report? Big shout-out to linuxgurugamer, the bug package mod is super handy

13 minutes ago, Stoup said:

I know I threw the whole folder in, but just for future bug reporting reference is there anything else that I you'd want included in a report? Big shout-out to linuxgurugamer, the bug package mod is super handy

Yours is great, thanks! (Maybe a craft file would be useful)

I was mainly asking to Pupboi (the bug report I just merged).

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6650xt | RAM32gb

I launched a rocket, got into orbit, and logged off of the game. Today I rebooted the game and the orbital line was gone.image.png?ex=65566b49&is=6543f649&hm=ea0

Included Attachments:

Happened to me too on a Mun mission -- taking off from the Munar surface left my lander in the Landed state. No trajectory lines. Additionally, after I had reached orbit I saved, quit, and reloaded; after this, the craft's velocity relative to the surface was zero, causing it to drop straight down and crash.

Happened on a Duna mission, Apollo-style lander was in Landed state from undocking with mother ship (which stayed in Orbiting state). Still managed to land.

I modified the save file to put the lander in Orbiting state before taking off, and upon reloading lander just clipped through ground. However still able to take off correctly and redock with mother ship. Sorry no clip to illustrate, but I guess if you set a landed object in Orbiting state, it should clip through the ground.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT | RAM32Gb

Essentially the same bug as orbital lines disappearing, but after closing and relaunching the game they don't come back, which is supposed to fix this issue. DX Specs Txt File, Craft File and Game Save attached. Not sure how I'd reproduce this or what caused it, was doing a pretty standard, but poorly constructed apollo style Mun landing, trajectory lines on the Munar Ascent craft were never present and have not been restored on relaunch, which I attempted thrice.

Included Attachments:

NewWorkspace.json

OrbitTest.rar

specs.txt

OS: Windows | CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU | RAM1 TB

I was launching a craft, and I went to the map view to check on my apoapsis. Upon checking, I discovered that my trajectory was invisible.

It may be related (just a hunch) to another bug, in which upon approaching a craft, to dock, It disappeared from the map view entirely.

I intend to submit this one as a report as well

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz | GPU: TI 1660 | RAM16GB

I took off from Laythe with a small rocket, one kerbal was the pilot the other was hanging on the door during take off. After reaching orbit saving the game and reloading, the track of the spacecraft (Rescue Full) dissapeared, and the flight status read as landed on the tracking station.  This is while the spacecraft was high over Laythe in space.

Included Attachments:

quicksave_34.zip

OS: windows10 | CPU: Intel i5-10210U | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 | RAM16GB 2133MHz

my rocket has many stages. So it doesn't have the orbit line. but the wreckages have their orbit lines

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5700X | GPU: RTX 3050 | RAM32GB

Put in 'other' category cause there isn't a science category yet

Trying out the new science update and I love it, though every now and again I get a notification that I can EVA the collect samples... in space...

When I go EVA the notification goes away.

Hovering over the science button, it shows that the games thinks I am currently landed on whatever biome I'm currently above, this has happened with the ocean and the KSC.

Included Attachments:

screensjj.PNG.03929c1c11c120cba7fcbb54902156ff.PNG

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Was returning from Mun after landing and doing an EVA.  I took off and did a stage seperation in climb.  I dont know if that was relevant but after this i went to map and noticed there was no orbit / trajectory line for the craft I was flying.  I tried saving and reloading and this issue persisted all the way to the end of the mission.  I managed to get back to Kerbin after leaving Mun SOI by firing retro and watching the PE but I would not be able to get back if I was outside Kerbin SOI so it is quite game breaking in my opinion.  This is on the For Science! update of 19/12.

Included Attachments: