Incorrect "landed" status while in orbit causes trajectory to disappear in Map View

KerbalBK

Bug Report

This has happened to me, except I don't even see a Ap or Pe indicator when this happens. I'm on v0.1.4.1, no mods.

Nothing seems to fix this for my craft that is currently affected. I've tried going to the KSC, then back to the tracking station to take then control of my craft. I've tried saving and exiting out of the game entirely. And just going to tracking station and then back to craft.

I did some investigation and found some interesting things:

My save opens up straight to the craft in flight. If I go straight to the tracking station and back to controlling the craft, it continues to follow along its trajectory (even though I can't see what that is in map view). BUT if I go to the KSC and then back to the tracking station and take control of the craft, the craft heads straight downward towards Kerbin like all momentum was lost. This is repeatable. Either way I go to the tracking station (straight from flight or from KSC) the craft's state says "landed" in the tracking station.  It seems like, at least for me, the game believes the craft is landed and therefore is not showing a trajectory line.

In the screenshot example below I wasn't even in orbit yet, just suborbital:

fBiYiwY.png

I would like to be able to provide a save file, I'm just not sure how to do that.

98 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM32GB

Title: Game thinks I am landed when in flight.

Specs: Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (v546.33) 8GB, 

Severity: (high/med/low).   This is your opinion – but it typically goes (High = crash, Med = feature not working as expected, Low = there is an issue, but has a work around)

Frequency: One off. 

Description:  During a flight, I noticed that I was able to get a lot of Science around Kerbin. I looked at the science and it said "Landed". When in the maps screen, it shows no orbital line although I am flying. I have a Ap and a Pe but cannot make any moves. I am going to try to intercept with another body to see if it resets. The nice thing is that I can "Recover Vessel" anytime. 

Included Attachments:

BugReportshowslanded.json

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home 22H2 build 22621.3007 | CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz | GPU: NVIDA Geforce RTX 3060 | RAM16Gb - 15.9Gb useable

After preforming a mun landing, I attempted to take off but upon lift off, no orbital lines were present and if the vessel was unloaded the vessel would freeze in place, I believe it has been stuck in a landed state, saving and loading appeared to be ineffective so i will attach my save file. I believe the vessel got stuck in a landed state. I just checked at the tracking station and can confirm that it was in a landed stated. Note: using MSI Gaming PC, Bios is Megatrends 8.10

Included Attachments:

bugedlandedstate.json

OS: Win 11 | CPU: Ryzen5 5600x | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM32gb

After my craft fell over on Minmus I tried lifting it with RCS, got it of the ground rotated it correctly and then used the main engine to try getting it to orbit, when switching to map view there was no trajectory line. After quicksaving and quickloading (Video starts here) there was still no trajectory line. When hovering over the science button, it shows the craft as landed. after docking with another craft, the science button inspection shows the craft as "in (low) orbit" and there are trajectory lines again

Quicksave 78 is before the liftoff, Quicksave 79 is in flight

Included Attachments:

CraftThinksItsLanded.mp4

quicksave_79.json

8 hours ago, Mr_Homeshoes said:

I´m not sure that i can reach the development Team via this Forum, but i´m glad that i´m not the only one with this Problem...

hi there! bug reports are reported via this form, please report them there in the future:) 
The bug in your video has already been reported (a lot) though, so i moved your video into this thread

I was able to reproduce the missing trajectory lines with an extremely basic craft, just throw a stack decoupler and fuel tank on the bottom of a rocket and launch. I think any vehicle where you leave part landed and decouple another part to launch it will cause this issue where the game thinks the whole thing is still landed. In this 57 second video I build the craft from scratch and launch it from KSC and show the bug.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM48GB DDR4

I know this is effectively a duplicate of No Trajectory Lines in Map View [Indicators Like PE/AP are Still Showing], but this is my first time encountering it as a persistent bug, especially in v0.2.1 ... If I could have directly/natively attached my report.zip to at reply on that thread, I would have done so.

Game even seems to be *literally* handling the craft as if it was landed (movement speed in Tracking Station is perhaps 'wrong')... even offering to Recover from orbit

Included Attachments:

Duna4.json

Missinglinesagain...maybeworse_logs.zip

On 2/6/2024 at 12:00 AM, DibzNr said:

@Flush Foot Merged your report with this post, appreciate you going out of your way to try and find the bug report first before making your own post, this bug and the trajectory line bug are two separate issues

@DibzNr, do you know if there is a specific place to 'vote' on KERB entries' priorities? Or is it just based on volume of bug reports?

This has happen for me twice on the Mun, not on Minmus, or Gilly however. Now I sent many landers to Mun but only two to Minmus and an small probe to Gilly but has landed on all locations and biomes. 
Wonder if leaving ship and go back to KSC matter? 
Loading last autosave has solved this for me. 

Edited by magnemoe

On 2/4/2024 at 1:36 PM, SuperBoots said:

I was able to reproduce the missing trajectory lines with an extremely basic craft, just throw a stack decoupler and fuel tank on the bottom of a rocket and launch. I think any vehicle where you leave part landed and decouple another part to launch it will cause this issue where the game thinks the whole thing is still landed. In this 57 second video I build the craft from scratch and launch it from KSC and show the bug.

Interesting… so your theory is that (among other things) launch clamps “increase the likelihood” of a bugged craft? Might recovering/deleting them from launchpad then allow the craft to return to a valid state?

On 1/31/2024 at 11:46 PM, Mr_Homeshoes said:

Yesterday came an Patch, but this Bug isn´t fixed.

So i created an Video to show the Problem and a bit of understanding this Problem.

I´m not sure that i can reach the development Team via this Forum, but i´m glad that i´m not the only one with this Problem...

I am still having these issues in the new update 0.2.1.0 thanks for your video!

every craft I have tried to send to orbit since the new update keeps saying splashed on Kerbin. showing no orbital lines when orbiting Kerbin

I have tried reloading all the other stuff I can find online to fix the problem but still no joy.

completely restricts me from playing.

I'm using the top-spec Dell XPS computer

Does anyone know what to do?

Edited by HWYNN

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i9 13900k | GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 | RAM64GB DDR5 5600MT/s

Often when I land on another celestial body and then take off again, often if I changed crafts or screens in between, the map doesn't display my flight trajectory once I take off again. Even if I save and reload my game, the trajectory is still not displayed, which makes rendezvous or returning from other planets completely impossible. I would say it happens about a 3rd of the time.

Included Attachments:

Had this with the largest rocket I launched it was the 300 ton landed on Duna. Launch looked nice I got Ap up to 100 km and went to map mode to make the circulation node. but it was no orbital line. I returned to KSC and the rocket just hung there, switching to it and it fell down newer had this happen on an launch before just on small landers on airless bodies. 

Quicksaving before liftoff is smart anyway.  

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | RAM32

Pretty much having the issues stated in the below thread. I used the work around however when I realized that I would be hoping around a moon and possible needed to do it constantly I wanted to report in case you have not seen.

Included Attachments:

I really hope this is fixed sooner than later.  It is the one bug that is just annoying as hell to deal with because I have to  hand edit a complicated json file to fix it.  It seems to be happening to me more often than not now when landing on a body.

I beg you devs, please fix this bug!

Edited by Biggen

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700KF, 3400 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s) | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070 | RAM16 GB DDR6 3200MHz

at random whenever I'm trying to explore space, my trajectory lines just go missing. i cant find a way to get them back so I'm always forced to restart game, and sometimes fully remake the vessel. before the trajectory lines reappear. i also cannot access the maneuvering options as there is no line to click on first.  

*note that it seems to happen whenever I perform a stage separation.

*side note, i have a brand new, stock Alienware Aurora R15, and this game is MAXING out my ram during most launches (on minimum graphics settings)

Included Attachments:

I rescued Jeb from the Mun and he was safely in orbit. However, when trying to rendezvous with a separate craft, when I took control of Jeb's pod the flight now had 0 velocity and immediately started a free fall straight down. There may have been a save and exit in between, or not - I am sorry that I do not remember more details to reproduce this bug.

Included Attachments:

@dg3x The issue you're experiencing is related to being in a landed state I believe, so I've merged your report with this post thread