Craft momentarily moves away from its trajectory at high speed, before snapping back

Shiny55

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU:  Intel Core i7-9700 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | RAM: 15.81

Craft suddenly disappears from view and then reappears on a much higher energy trajectory, usually out of the system.

I've found this a few times on launching from Kerbin with a variety of different craft.  Not sure if there is a pattern, but it occurs in the upper atmosphere, sometimes when fast forward has previously been used. Once set-in it reoccurs (even restarting the game doesnt help) and is now present in every launch.

Edited by The Space Peacock
added computer specs

27 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core I7 10th Gen | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX350 | RAM8GB

Version of this bug that happens after loading a save in low mun orbit. crafts flickers out of existence, shoots off at high speed, then snaps back to its original position and enters a spin. craft is now also on a suborbital trajectory whereas it was on a nice circular one when this save was made.

Steps to Replicate:

1.  Load quicksave_185.json
  2. Observe 

Video:

Included Attachments:

Logs.zip

Hey,

i also had this bug and it came at a very bad time for me ... i was just at the point to complete the "Under Pressure" mission ... but every time i left the atmosphere the vessel glitched out and exploded.

Process:

I created a new campaign, cheated my science back and rebuild the vessel fron scratch. IT WORKED. Nice.... I copied the new vessel workspace into my old campaign ... and the problem was back. :) WHAT?
Okay ... don't give up! I tried to compare (via Notepad++) the latest old
campaign savegame with the  error to the new campaign savegame in which everything was working. I found no noticeable difference.
Then i copied the new c
ampaign savegame into my OLD campaign savegame folder, and the problem occurred again ... SUS!

Assumption:

It is the campaign savegame FOLDER! Mine had over 400 savegames and 80 workspaces.
In the moment the vessel leaves the atmosphere, the game creates an autosave file .... and at a too high file count, this seems to cause the problem.

Solution:

I deleted hundred of old savegame files and no longer needed workspace files.
Savegame Path: C:\Users\ [NAME] \AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\
The problem did not occur again since.

This also explains why only longer campaigns seem to be affected and trying to reproduce the bug with a single savegame was unsuccessful ;-)

I hope u can reproduce my solution for your campaign.

Side effect:

My whole game runs at a noticeable higher framerate than before the deletion of all the files  ..... what? 

Edited by Cyal

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM32

Craft gets yeeted out of orbit under warp.

Repeatable bug with differing crafts, once orbit is reached but not circularised.

Included Attachments:

Screenshot2023-12-21020037.png.134e413df

Video link is here: 

30s loose control - this is unexpected as this vessel should fly well and has done so before, this indicated the bug is about to start

47s  I throttle down and then throttle to zero, the vessel disappears. Map view shows the vessel and debris flying away

1:22 Vessel returns to original position and is controllable

@Shiny55 thanks! merging this with @TickleMyMary's report, looks to be the same bug. could you please also provide your specs (CPU/GPU/OS/RAM)? they're missing from your reports

@TickleMyMary did your craft eventually also snap back to its correct position?

5 hours ago, The Space Peacock said:

@TickleMyMary did your craft eventually also snap back to its correct position?

Not in any of the runs I tested but I didn't wait much longer than 30-40 seconds until reverting to VAB

The craft is shown as flying off in map view but the telemetry from the instruments and orbital lines show me as still in orbit.

After the craft reaches Kerbins SOI, it snaps back - sometimes this can then be played as normal (although it needs repointing in the correct dirction again), and sometimes the craft destructs or is inside Kerbin etc.

This is for every launch now.

Update:

This has now apeared in a  campaign which was working fine for a week and a half of play. Now ALL saves in this campaign have the same bug making any launch impossible - previous save versions which were working now have the same bug.

Somehow this seems to be campaign related.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:40 AM, The Aziz said:

Could this be related?

it was, at least to a part of this report. after looking at it closely it looks like 2 bugs were reported here: crafts spinning/being suborbital after a reload, and crafts suddenly leaving their orbits and shooting off. merged all reports pertaining to the former into the report you linked to, and this one will now be a standalone report for the vessels leaving their orbits bug

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | RAM16GB DDR4

When launching a ship it will always 'zoom off' out of frame whenever I exceed 70km. The orbit speed stays true to what it should be, but the altitude very quickly exceeds 1000km+. This usually carries on for about 1 minute or so before it seemingly coming back to normal. By this time, the ship will have been carrying on with it's original trajectory, but depending on how long the altitude is bugged out, that might mean I've missed my apoapsis.

I have noticed that if I throttle up slightly it doesn't seem to do the bug, but if I turn the throttle off relatively soon after 70km, it still does the same thing.

This has happened on multiple different ship designs, and I have verified game files in-between launches.

Included Attachments:

Thanks @The Space Peacock - I tried finding it in the bug list but clearly missed this one. The videos others have shown are identical to what I have too.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:35 PM, Shiny55 said:

After the craft reaches Kerbins SOI, it snaps back - sometimes this can then be played as normal (although it needs repointing in the correct dirction again), and sometimes the craft destructs or is inside Kerbin etc.

This is for every launch now.

I noticed this on my most recent launch as well - I thought it was time related at first but it definitely snapped back once leaving Kerbin SOI

On 1/8/2024 at 2:45 PM, LGregg said:

Thanks @The Space Peacock - I tried finding it in the bug list but clearly missed this one. The videos others have shown are identical to what I have too.

I noticed this on my most recent launch as well - I thought it was time related at first but it definitely snapped back once leaving Kerbin SOI

+1 here, same issue, craft goes to the limit of Kerbin SOI and then snaps back, most times on a descending trajectory and then crashing into Kerbin. I am stuck in the campaign since there is no way to launch a vessel properly. All saves I tried and different crafts are affected. If anyone finds a workaround please post, is not possible to play the campaign or start a new one when you know this may happen at any time. For reference in case this bug is caused by the campaign, I started having this issue after completing the visit to the Duna monument.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win10 22H2 | CPU: AMD 5600X | GPU: RX 6700XT | RAM32GB

When reloading my craft, I had an issue where the vessel is nowhere to be seen and while nav ball and UI are present , there's no attitude control. The engines can be throttled and hear sound and I see fuel/dV so that seems to work.

When switching to map view, the craft icon is still shown but it appears to diverge from the trajectory line.

At first I tried reloading, and this sometimes would work. I also just tried going to the KSC and then tracking station and controlling the ship again, this worked as well, so thankfully it seems its more the ship is ok but somehow the player control is bugged. Screenshot of ship view, map view, craft and the save file.

(Don't mind the goofy design :sob:)

I did have one part of the craft spontaneously explode, I think due to some part clipping, no idea if related or not.

Included Attachments:

LaythePlaneLauncherFULLSEND.json

LaytheP45k.json

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Proton GE 8.6 on Nobara 39 | CPU: i9-10850k | GPU: RX 7900XT | RAM24 GB

The video describes it best really. I have attached a savefile from the launchpad as well,  as the bug doesn't appear on another save.

Included Attachments:

2024-02-0214-20-45.mp4

SavefromLaunchpad.json

5 minutes ago, byaafacehead said:

@Spicat

Looking at the other posts, I think my bug might be separate/unrelated. My ship maintains a proper orbit, but the focus and trajectory line gets bugged.

I was not able to reproduce it with your save.

Do you have a video to show me how it's different? Because the craft disappearing and the ship being off trajectory sounds like this bug.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11  23H2 | CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | GPU: AMD Radeon 6800 | RAM: 32 GB

I am also affected by this bug.

I first encountered it on the Duna Monument mission: It took me several tries to land near the monument and when I launched again, each time I reached a certain altitude (I suppose when I left the atmosphere) my craft would disappear and the camera would move out, while the altitude readings increased (same as in the videos posted in this thread).

Eventually I used the debug menu to get to orbit and return to Kerbin. But when I tried to launch another craft from Kerbin, the same happened again: After I reached an altitude of a bit over 70 km, the craft disappeared, zoomed out to the end of Kerbins SOI, then snapped back, but was uncontrollably spinning and the parts were also not connected anymore.

After a few more attempts, I realized that this affected every craft and every save in that campaign. It also doesn't make any difference how I launch (normal gravity turn, straight up, going full throttle all the way or coasting past 70 km).

The campaign is not playable like this, because I cannot launch any craft and starting a new campaign doesn't make sense, if the bug could appear again.

Edited by sumghai
Fixed formatting

13 hours ago, Cyal said:

Hey,

i also had this bug and it came at a very bad time for me ... i was just at the point to complete the "Under Pressure" mission ... but every time i left the atmosphere the vessel glitched out and exploded.

Process:

I created a new campaign, cheated my science back and rebuild the vessel fron scratch. IT WORKED. Nice.... I copied the new vessel workspace into my old campaign ... and the problem was back. :) WHAT?
Okay ... don't give up! I tried to compare (via Notepad++) the latest old
campaign savegame with the  error to the new campaign savegame in which everything was working. I found no noticeable difference.
Then i copied the new c
ampaign savegame into my OLD campaign savegame folder, and the problem occurred again ... SUS!

Assumption:

It is the campaign savegame FOLDER! Mine had over 400 savegames and 80 workspaces.
In the moment the vessel leaves the atmosphere, the game creates an autosave file .... and at a too high file count, this seems to cause the problem.

Solution:

I deleted hundred of old savegame files and no longer needed workspace files.
Savegame Path: C:\Users\ [NAME] \AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\
The problem did not occur again since.

This also explains why only longer campaigns seem to be affected and trying to reproduce the bug with a single savegame was unsuccessful ;-)

I hope u can reproduce my solution for your campaign.

Side effect:

My whole game runs at a noticeable higher framerate than before the deletion of all the files  ..... what? 

Thanks for posting this, I can indeed reproduce your solution. :-)

I had ~330 files in the campaign folder and another ~170 in the workspaces folder. After I deleted all but the last two savegame files, the bug no longer occurs.