Game Crashes During Loading [Below-Spec Issue]

Vortygont

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7 9750H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM16 GB

Sometimes when I revert to KSC game crashes. It closes without error message. With my pc configuration game with medium settings has 50-60 fps in VAB, ~30 fps on launchpad, 50-40 fps in space and on Mun. You can see these stats in discord perfomance sheet (same nickname as on forums)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x3N0bjxx6TGFx3pn5kuVW4lOOFNerSn22yHsbzGB60c/edit#gid=141509734
 Attached log file

Included Attachments:

Player.log

Edited by The Space Peacock

7 answers to this question

I'm running KSP2 reasonably well on a Xeon E5-2699A v4 (22 core, 2.4 GHz), 384 GB RAM, and a Geforce GTX 1070 8GB at 1440p, under Linux using wine 8.21 and dxvk 2.23. The thing I observed while getting the game to run (took like 2 days of experimenting) was that KSP2 handles out of VRAM situations not gracefully, but it just closes without any message or anything if VRAM allocations fail. I'd assume in such situations it might be helpful to leave a message, or possibly try to free unused/cached stuff on the GPU and not just quitting silently. I know it's Early Access, but in case of an error any message is better than no message at all.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i5 12 gen | GPU: Ninvidea GTX 1650 | RAM8 GB

The game occasionally crashes when attempting to revert to the VAB, as well as when exiting the training center. This causes the loading screen to freeze at "Setting Universe State". And then stops responding.

Included Attachments:

Going to use this report as a repository for all loading issues that occur on hardware that is below minimum spec (theres quite a few) moving forward. Word of fair warning to everyone running into these issues: they likely wont be looked into at this time since they only occur on unsupported (below minimum) hardware. If you encounter any loading issue but are ABOVE minimum specs, please reach out to me or @Spicat and we'll get you in touch with QA. 

The latest official IG reponse to these issues (pulled from the Loading_Stuck thread in the Help section on the Intercept Games Discord):

[QA] Darrin 19/12/2023 19:33

For quite some time now - anyone who is above our min-spec bar should be able to play (see our recent dev post on our min computers FPS at launch and at 0.2.0). Here are the min requirements
An important part of the above: it's not just the video card/gpu. Your CPU and ram is equally important. Anyone below this bar can try to play (we specifically to not lock people out after detecting their hardware). We want those below the bar to be able to try if they want. BUT... we don't support those cases currently. Here's a few tips to try (again... not supported, but have shown to help some people): Make sure v-sync is turned off Lower your WINDOWS resolution - and then match that in KSP2. (to something like 1280x1024)

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-core processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super | RAM31.92

If i start a campaign and cadet orientation is disabled it crashes as soon as i load it. If i started a campaign and i already have a campaign started that does have cadet orientation enabled it does work.

Included Attachments:

On 2/21/2024 at 3:45 PM, Anonymous Bug Reporter said:

The game occasionally crashes when attempting to revert to the VAB, as well as when exiting the training center. This causes the loading screen to freeze at "Setting Universe State". And then stops responding.

Right this happens sometimes with me - 4GB VRAM

On 1/6/2024 at 1:11 AM, emerald said:

I'm running KSP2 reasonably well on a Xeon E5-2699A v4 (22 core, 2.4 GHz), 384 GB RAM, and a Geforce GTX 1070 8GB at 1440p, under Linux using wine 8.21 and dxvk 2.23. The thing I observed while getting the game to run (took like 2 days of experimenting) was that KSP2 handles out of VRAM situations not gracefully, but it just closes without any message or anything if VRAM allocations fail. I'd assume in such situations it might be helpful to leave a message, or possibly try to free unused/cached stuff on the GPU and not just quitting silently. I know it's Early Access, but in case of an error any message is better than no message at all.

You have sufficient specs. All my crashes also were when game closed without any messages. Maybe you can make separated bug report about your crashes and attach log files after crash, like [Crash after VRAM allocations fail]