Ability to center maneuver node in the middle of burn

While the new maneuver node system makes plotting nodes to other SOIs more convenient with its time warp system, it also makes circularization burns or burns around each apsis less intuitive as you have to guess where the node should go so that half the burn is before and the other half is after passing the peri/apoapsis.

KSP1 of course used a system where the actual node on the map is the half way point in the burn, rather to KSP2s system where the burn starts when the node is passed. Adding something such as a setting changing when the burn should start relative to the node will make people used to the KSP1 system have a much easier time plotting such nodes.

Edited by Chevronie
dimentia

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I've not had much trouble just dragging the node to the correct place where Ap and Pe match. Also it's a learning moment because frequently the correct place is not near the center at all.

Dragging nodes is incredibly bad. Every time I pick one up it jumps to some distant location and I have to dial it again again, no fine tuning possible.

39 minutes ago, Superluminaut said:

Dragging nodes is incredibly bad. Every time I pick one up it jumps to some distant location and I have to dial it again again, no fine tuning possible.

Huh I don't have that problem unless I'm far from the node/orbit.

And for that I use PreciseNode Maneuver Node Controller.

6 hours ago, Chevronie said:

KSP1 of course used a system where the actual node on the map is the half way point in the burn,

Incorrect, KSP1 used a system where maneuvers were instantaneous. The halfway method was just a workaround to make it somewhat accurate (but it never was). In KSP2, unless you mess up something badly, you will almost always end up on projected trajectory because the maneuver takes into account the direction, thrust, mass, velocity, everything. If you zoom in on the maneuver you can see the red line, that's your actual maneuver trajectory. Ever made an interplanetary capture burn? At the very end this red line bends around the planet as it projects your ship's trajectory near the end of the burn. There's no guessing here. And it's the most accurate solution we ever had.

7 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Huh I don't have that problem unless I'm far from the node/orbit.

And for that I use PreciseNode Maneuver Node Controller.

Something like Maneuver Node Controller is an absolute requirement to be in the base game if they want us to do interstellar burns.

Honestly, the most precise way to circularize has never been to use maneuver nodes, it's to burn prograde/retrograde manually while keeping an eye on the ap/pe timers/values, and a hand on the throttle. I think the new system is very good to plan transfers which is what maneuver nodes are useful for.

15 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Incorrect, KSP1 used a system where maneuvers were instantaneous. The halfway method was just a workaround to make it somewhat accurate (but it never was). In KSP2, unless you mess up something badly, you will almost always end up on projected trajectory because the maneuver takes into account the direction, thrust, mass, velocity, everything. If you zoom in on the maneuver you can see the red line, that's your actual maneuver trajectory. Ever made an interplanetary capture burn? At the very end this red line bends around the planet as it projects your ship's trajectory near the end of the burn. There's no guessing here. And it's the most accurate solution we ever had.

What type of burns weren't decently accurate to what the maneuver node predicted in KSP1? I dont think I have had a problem with incorrect trajectory prediction in KSP 1

that or I just figured it was a problem with one of my mods messing up the trajectories :confused:

18 hours ago, The Aziz said:

And you can time warp while burning if you select the maneuver SAS target. I do it all the time, it's a life saver.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the way to deal with this in KSP2 would be to  give players to enable "override mode", which would essentially revert to KSP1 style maneuver nodes. Should be plenty good for most purposes, without the game having to know the thrust and mass of your ship. Wrong thread

On 12/30/2023 at 12:18 AM, Chevronie said:

What type of burns weren't decently accurate to what the maneuver node predicted in KSP1? I dont think I have had a problem with incorrect trajectory prediction in KSP 1

that or I just figured it was a problem with one of my mods messing up the trajectories :confused:

All burns were inaccurate to some extent, but the longer the burn, the worse the accuracy, because KSP1 assumes the burn takes 0 seconds.  It's mostly noticeable when burns start to last a significant portion of the orbital period. So for low Kerbin orbit for instance,  a 1 minute burn, it's not really noticable, but a 5 minute burn it starts to become significant.

Edited by neistridlar

There's literally no benefit to this. If the halfway was the answer to anything, correction burns wouldn't be needed.

BrAzrF6.jpg

See that? If you started the burn of the same length halfway to Pe, you'd end up gods know where, but definitely not on planned trajectory.

And guess what, I burned at node and...

JbtYtfi.jpg

Minimal difference enough to be handwaved. 

And there was no guessing, I placed a node a pulled it so that final result was satisfactory. 

What Aziz said. KSP 2 isn't doing anything wrong just because you have gotten used to working around KSP 1's inaccuracies. You have to move the node back now to see a trajectory that results in a perfectly circular orbit. That's good and demonstrates how your trajectory changes, it's not bad just because you're used to assuming that the old 50/50 rule will put you on the right orbit. If anything, it's criminal KSP 1 did not give us better solutions in the decade that developers had to think of something better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.