Kerybind Changes Are Not Applied After Restarting The Game Until The Input Settings Screen Is Opened

Anonymous Bug Reporter

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | GPU: AMD RX 5950xt | RAM32Gb

I use a non-standard keyboard layout called Colemak. So I re-bind keys in every single game I play.

My WASD is WARS, Q and E are instead Q and F.

When keys are re-bound from Qwerty and the game is restarted, the key bindings do not apply until you open the Input menu.

Only tested in Exploration mode.

Repro steps:

1. Re-map keys (only tested with pitch, yaw, roll)
  2. Save input changes, test changes on a craft, save and quit the game
  3. Launch KSP2 again
  4. Load save file, launch a craft (do not open settings menu)

Expected: key mappings should apply as bound in step 1.

Actual: keys mapped in step 1 do not apply, Qwerty appears to be the default.

Resolution:

1. Open Settings > Input menu, then close it again. No key-bind changes are necessary.
  2. Return to the game, keys mapped in step 1 now apply

Included Attachments:

2023-12-2120-00-34.mkv

Edited by The Space Peacock

7 answers to this question

Can also confirm this issue. This is a significant problem for people who require left handed input or have a disability that requires custom keybinds.

Can also confirm that it has been there since launch, and that it can be circumvented by quickly opening the inputs menu and closing, but still annoying.

Edited by RadioFreeKerbin

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Wine 9.0-rc3 on Linux | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 | GPU: NVIDIA 3060 Ti | RAM32GB

On game startup, the RCS precision mode key is set to Caps Lock regardless of what is configured in the settings file. Opening the Input Settings screen (without changing anything) corrects the behavior.

Severity: Medium

Steps to reproduce:

1. Boot up the game.
  2. Enter the Input Settings menu, and change the Toggle Precision Controls key (under Flight) from Caps Lock to something else (such as Right Control).
  3. Close and restart the game.
  4. Load or create a campaign, and launch a vehicle.
  5. Confirm that precision mode is disabled (such as by pressing one of the yaw/pitch/roll keys and confirming that the corresponding indicator arrow moves to the edge of its scale).
  6. Press the key configured in step 2.
  7. Observe whether precision mode is enabled (as in step 5).
  8. Press the Caps Lock key.
  9. Observe whether precision mode is enabled.

Expected behavior: Precision mode is enabled in both steps 7 and 9.

Observed behavior: Precision mode is disabled in step 7 and enabled in step 9.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | GPU: EVGA 3090Ti | RAM32Gb at 3600

I can confirm that this happens every single time I load the game. That's it--quit and reload the game, and then it's as though I have not gone through and changed 90% of the default key bindings (I'm left-handed). Once I go to Settings and just click Input, the issue resolves.

This has been an issue since Day 1. I even reported it directly to an engineer in Feb/March 2023, who opened a bug for this.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: K2-D2 | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 10 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA RTX4060 Ti | RAM32GB

I changed the keybindings for the X-/Y-/Z- Translation to my Numpad instead of J,K,L etc.

After changing it, it works fine. When the game is closed and reopened the next time this setting is gone and the Translation is again controlled with the Letter-Keys instead of my Numpad keybinding. Looking into the Keybinding options shows my custom keybindings though.

This is after restrting the game. The settings are still shown as my custom keybinding the control has actually switched back. After reassigning the keybindings it works again until the next game close and restart.1fS2ejS.png

Included Attachments: