Struts in higher symmetry than the parts they are attached to causes issues

Spicat

Note: this thread was originally called "Moving a radially attached part with a strut on it, break the game" but has since been renamed. The original issue that caused the VAB to break so this is the remaining issue.

Steps:

1. Start a new sandbox campaign
2. Go to the VAB
3. Place a large fuel tank
4. Attach a smaller tank in 4x symmetry
5. Select a higher symmetry and attach a strut to the attached part. (smaller tank from step 4)
6. Attach the other part of symmetry to the main body (fuel tank from step 3)

Results:

The Struts are attached but most of them only attach on the attached part. the rest remain broken. The strut itself goes through the ship

Expected Behavior:

Struts should function correctly,

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 22H2 (build 19045.3324) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce 1080 Ti OC 11gb | RAM32 gb

The bug occurs when you detach and then attach for example a solid rocket booster (SRB), which was already strutted, to the side of a rocket.

Both mirror and radial symmetry behave the same, and with all plural radial symmetry modes (2-8).

• It does not matter where the struts are attached on the SRB's.
  • It does not matter how many struts there are.
  • It does not matter if the SRB's are attached to decouplers or not.

Detaching the SRB from the main rocket and placing it back causes the attachment of an SRB only on the opposite side of the rocket, while the one you were holding remains stuck to your mouse and it has broken free from the symmetry mode.

How to reproduce:

1. Place a fuel tank and attach two solid rocket boosters on each side of it, or...
  2. Alternatively load the stock vehicle "Stock Kerbal-K1".
  3. Place a strut on the SRB's and attach the other end of the struts to any part of the rocket.
  4. Detach one SRB, ensure you've enabled mirrored or radial symmetry mode 2-8.
  5. Click to place the SRB you are holding.
  6. The SRB refuses to attach itself and also refuses to snap to the rocket in this state, instead wanting to clip into the rocket.
  7. The SRB on the opposite side has attached itself without issue.
  8. The struts all stretch toward the part you are holding, as if there's local symmetry mode on the SRB itself.
  9. Click again to place the SRB in order to free it from your mouse cursor.
  10. Picking up the SRB again for placing it again will sometimes remove the opposite part, and sometimes not, but the part does attach itself fine.
  11. The struts have now become non-interactive (can't pick them up, for example).

The screenshot illustrates part of the bug and the video demonstrates the entire issue. The craft file contains the craft seen in the video (craft pasted into text file).

Included Attachments:

20230902054445_1.jpg.88cf3fa8799f368fbfc50a47d8b70ffa.jpg

Window02-09-202306-02-58.mp4

SimpleRocket.json

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home 22H2 (build 22621.2283) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon Graphics | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700S | RAM: 16 gb

This bug can additionally create duplicates of parts. A precise method to trigger this is as follows:

1. Place a starting part. This can be anything, the image uses a X200-32 Methalox Fuel Tank (Medium Size).

https://ibb.co/YX82Ykm
2. Using 'Mirror' Symmetry mode, attach a radial decoupler. The decoupler is TT-140A Radial Decoupler (Large Size)

https://ibb.co/pLZCgs5

3.  Add another part to the decoupler using 'Mirror' Symmetry on the decoupler. A Mk2 RFT-800 is imaged.

https://ibb.co/V2hxpMV

4. Attach a strut from the Step 3 Part to the Step 1 part.

https://ibb.co/9Nv4Cr2

5. Detach and then attempt to reattach the Step 3 Part to the decoupler.  The image is the result after clicking three times (Some minor mouse movement between clicks).

https://ibb.co/DbbbxTY

Every attempt to reattach will fail to attach and create a new copy of the part on the opposite side. Using a non-cylindrical part for Step 4 will occasionally exhibit strange rotation behavior on each attempted place.

Edited by DoodleGarbage
Posted Prematurely

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i7 13700kf 5.4 GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XY | RAM64 GB DDR4 3600

I create a craft and place decouplers on the side of the rocket in 4 part symmetry. When I decide to move the decouplers with fuel tanks, it disconnects fine, but the struts remain attached (Symmetry Bug 1 image). Then to place the attachment only 3 of the attachments attach. The original attachment that was being manipulated will not attach to the root part (Symmetry Bug 2). I  can release the attachment and it is a complete attachment but disconnected from the root rocket (Symmetry Bug 3).

If the rocket can be properly assembled, it shakes itself apart on the launch pad. The more struts there are, the faster it shakes apart.

Finally, when moving struts around, it maintains the symmetry but applies the symmetry too much. For example, placing a strut in 4 times symmetry on the side attachments will put 4 struts on each of the 4 attachments (Symmetry Bug 4), for a total of 16 struts (12 of them do nothing).

Included Attachments:

autosave_1.json

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: WIN 11 HOME | CPU: CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics Base speed: 3,20 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 8 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU Driver version: 31.0.15.4584 Driver date: 11/10/2023 | RAMMemory 16,0 GB Speed: 3200 MHz Slots used: 2 of 2 Form factor: SODIMM Hardware reserved: 676

This bug is caused by struts and affect symmetry mode .

The walk around is shown at the end of the video. (make the symmetry of  the part (wing) of the other side)

Included Attachments:

Video.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045 64-bit | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (8019MB) | RAM32683

Severity: High

Frequency: Very Occasionally

Trying to build a large complex craft (for me and my machine anyway) when it became impossible to save or launch the vessel.
Tried to go to the tracking station & out into the KSP, but the view of inside the VAB persisted in the background (see screenshots in bug package).
Couldn't quit to the main menu, had to quit the game completely.

Included Attachments:

GameHalfFrozeinVAB_logs.zip

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: Speedy Startup, SpaceWarp, BepinEx, Skip Splash Screen, No Seizure Warning, Fancy Fuel Tanks, Community Fixes, UITK | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G | GPU: GTX 1050 Ti | RAM16GB 3200MHz

Well i was trying to launch my rocket, i clicked launch, my vessel disappeared and i was only in the VAB without anything there.  I pressed space and the countdown began.

oh and pls ignore the starship live stream in the background of the video, thanks

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023_11.18-13_24_31_01.mp4

• 1 month later...