"Terras Irradient" | NASA Returns To The Moon and Beyond

Posted (edited)

LDM-1 - PART II | LUNAR OPERATIONS

Following a successful separation event, Odysseus is on its way to the Moon to conduct various tests of Propulsion, Guidance and Communication systems. It will stay on a lunar orbit for 45 days - about the same length as two full moon orbit cycles around Earth

Coast Phase

I0GUTWd.png

Lunar Orbit Insertion

A53u5hq.png

Odysseus in Low Lunar Orbit (LLO)

a5qUSua.png

Second Orbit Pass

X7ccBsL.png

Earthrise

wydZpF8.png

Last Orbit Before Moon Departure

4t2lpfF.png

[Switchover to Mission Control]

"All Systems Good, Inititating Moon Departure Profile"

IhryKSw.png

"Two Good Engines, Guidance System reports Nominal telemetry"

zutmXBp.png

"Separation Right on Time, Starting up Reserve Fuel Cells"

1IgGmxc.png

Ten Minutes Before Earth Entry Interface

3pU0Lqd.png

Earth Entry Interface - Loss of Communication

2X73lZp.png

Peak Entry Heating

05osOod.png

Entry Heating Subsiding, Comms Restored

eRSUpCY.png

Parachute Deployment

om6wSN1.png

Splashdown - Southwest Pacific Ocean

JUCOdoK.png

Post-Flight Analysis:

LDM-1, as with all previous missions was a resounding success, verifying all systems required for Future Lunar Operations by testing Odysseus CEV extensively in and around the Earth-Moon System. This marks the first time an American crewed spacecraft successfully entered Lunar Orbit since Apollo 17

This flight also marks the partial decommissioning of Saturn III, being replaced by Saturn III+, an improved version of the latter allowing even more payload to be launched into Low Earth Orbit, Lunar Orbit and Beyond

The next step in America's continued Space Exploration Program would be the extensive testing of the Human Landing System (HLS) verifying its capability to lift crew in-and-out of the Earth-Moon System 

A Personal Annoncement:

2 pages? What an achievement, most of my forum threads died short of completing a full page

I just want to say: Thanks to everyone who interacted with/followed this Forum Thread, y'all give me enough motivation to continue forward with this Alt-Hist Thread

Edited by AdrianDogmeat

1 hour ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

LDM-1 - PART II | LUNAR OPERATIONS

Following a successful separation event, Odysseus is on its way to the Moon to conduct various tests of Propulsion, Guidance and Communication systems. It will stay on a lunar orbit for 45 days - about the same length as two full moon orbit cycles around Earth

Coast Phase

I0GUTWd.png

Lunar Orbit Insertion

A53u5hq.png

Odysseus in Low Lunar Orbit (LLO)

a5qUSua.png

Second Orbit Pass

X7ccBsL.png

Earthrise

wydZpF8.png

Last Orbit Before Moon Departure

4t2lpfF.png

[Switchover to Mission Control]

"All Systems Good, Inititating Moon Departure Profile"

IhryKSw.png

"Two Good Engines, Guidance System reports Nominal telemetry"

zutmXBp.png

"Separation Right on Time, Starting up Reserve Fuel Cells"

1IgGmxc.png

Ten Minutes Before Earth Entry Interface

3pU0Lqd.png

Earth Entry Interface - Loss of Communication

2X73lZp.png

Peak Entry Heating

05osOod.png

Entry Heating Subsiding, Comms Restored

eRSUpCY.png

Parachute Deployment

om6wSN1.png

Splashdown - Southwest Pacific Ocean

JUCOdoK.png

Post-Flight Analysis:

LDM-1, as with all previous missions was a resounding success, verifying all systems required for Future Lunar Operations by testing Odysseus CEV extensively in and around the Earth-Moon System. This marks the first time an American crewed spacecraft successfully entered Lunar Orbit since Apollo 17

This flight also marks the partial decommissioning of Saturn III, being replaced by Saturn III+, an improved version of the latter allowing even more payload to be launched into Low Earth Orbit, Lunar Orbit and Beyond

The next step in America's continued Space Exploration Program would be the extensive testing of the Human Landing System (HLS) verifying its capability to lift crew in-and-out of the Earth-Moon System 

A Personal Annoncement:

2 pages? What an achievement, most of my forum threads died short of completing a full page

I just want to say: Thanks to everyone who interacted with/followed this Forum Thread, y'all give me enough motivation to continue forward with this Alt-Hist Thread

Is there a download link for the CEV? I forgot to download it when it was up.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A GIANT LEAP FORWARD

As part of NASA's Fiscal Year 2004 Report, New Funding was allocated to expand the scope of the on-going Selene Program after realizing that China still doesn't have a defined Human-Rated Lunar Infrastructure, as indicated by classified documents, from being merely a second Apollo-style Lunar Landing "Boots On The Ground" attempt into a more fleshed-out Science Exploration Program involving the Original goal of establishing a human presence on the moon since the Apollo days, alongside Expanding Humanity's Scientific Endeavour by building Orbital Outposts in Low Earth Orbit and Beyond to serve as Staging Areas for Future Missions (Like Long-Duration Stays on a Space Station)

Of course, none of that would be possible without improving Previous Mission Infrastructure, most notably the Saturn III Rocket - While Powerful enough for single-launch Lunar Missions (As demonstrated since 1998), It can't launch a Heavy Payload into Low Earth Orbit without compromising Performance, That's one of the main reason why the existing Saturn III will be replaced by the more powerful Saturn III+, Improving multiple aspects such as:

- Engine Performance (STME-B)

- Guidance Systems

- First Stage Tanks (10m Extension)

It was under the curtains for a while until recently, Design Documents were published 3 months after LDM-1 revealing the new and improved Saturn III+

Maximum Payload to Low Earth Orbit Comparison 

GBi5L5r.png

Upper Stages Technical Comparison Document

1zS0Dzc.png

Alongside Saturn III+'s reveal, A New Space Station was revealed soon after, aiming to serve as an Orbital Outpost for future missions. Derived from Previous Proposals for Space Station Freedom and Cancelled ISS moodules and proposals from International Partners like ESA and JAXA, The New Space Station under the name "Aquarius" is planned to enter Full Operational Status by 2012 

Three Proposals were sent Pending Approval by all 3 sides (NASA, ESA and JAXA)

Option A: Space Station Aquarius - Baseline

2ibf0lY.png

Option B: Space Station Aquarius - Extended Proposal

sG9akO4.png

Option C: Space Station Aquarius - Free Flyer Derived From The Previous Proposal

sG9akO4.png

With the afromentioned recent developments and the change of direction, The First Moon Landing Mission is delayed to to NET 2009 to facilitate the transition from previous Saturn III Infrastructure and Operations to Saturn III+ Production and Operation, Implementing changes to modernize the Human Landing System [HLS], alongside the future development and assembly of Space Station Aquarius

Farewell Statement:

All Missions moving forward will no longer fly on Saturn III, So it's time to Bid Farewell to the venerable rocket that defied the odds, Set America's footing back into Space following a 30-year gap in Lunar Operations, Inspired a New Generation of Space Explorers and Served as a Test Platform for Crew-Rated Spacecraft Such as Odysseus.

Edited by AdrianDogmeat

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Dr_Scrublord said:

Remarkable work! All of this is such high quality... Looking forward to how the story continues :)

Thanks, I've got some interesting stuff to show later down the line

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone's who's currently following this forum thread: it's not dead (yet)
I just need to come up with a script for the next post, which is the hardest part of creating new posts

43 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

For anyone's who's currently following this forum thread: it's not dead (yet)
I just need to come up with a script for the next post, which is the hardest part of creating new posts

You said it. Writing and summarizing a mission is surprising difficult, especially when it’s hard to get an idea of what your audience is thinking.

41 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

You said it. Writing and summarizing a mission is surprising difficult, especially when it’s hard to get an idea of what your audience is thinking.

Especially when you try to cross-reference it with real-life economics and engineering plans, and even launch narration scripts

On 1/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, AdrianDogmeat said:

LUNAR EXPLORATION PLANS MOVING FORWARD

Now with a reliable launcher that can lift heavy payloads to the moon exceeding Saturn V's payload capacity, the next logical step was to source out a lander for near-future use on Selene crewed lunar expeditions, returning America and by extension Humanity to the moon after nearly 40 years of hiatus

Immediately after CFT-2 post-flight analysis, NASA started looking for competitors to build a two-stage lander similar in vein to Apollo Lunar Module as part of two contracts:

- Lunar Crew Access Vehicle [LCAV]

- Cargo Lunar Delivery System [CLDS]

As part of the contract, three teams sent over their proposals:

- National Team (Aerojet, Rocketdyne, Rockwell International, Lockheed Martin)

-Northrop Grumman

- Boeing

After further review of all three proposals, National Team was selected to provide crew and cargo capability for both LCAV and CLDS and was awarded $4.3 Billion for both contracts, with development immediately starting on lander design as early as 1999 with a projected finishing date of NLT Nov 2002

NASA however realized that crewed landings will start later than expected due to some budget problems, the delay caused by CFT-1's stage separation anomaly. Due to this Lunar Landing was delayed to NET 2004. While this might sound bad on NASA's end, it will allow the National Team to have more time to test different systems required for future lunar landings including:

- Flight Computers

- Descent and Ascent Engines

A press conference was held between July 24, 2002 and July 25, 2002, revealing certain key elements of the lunar program, the highlight of the show however was the release of National Team Human Landing System [NTHLS] design schematics, including both cargo and crew landers

National Team Cargo Lander Schematic, July 24, 2002

lBARKAJ.png

National Team Crew Lander Schematic, July 25, 2002

ZpTeOLz.png

NEXT LAUNCH: SELENE-1 UNCREWED FLIGHT TEST

what mods are you using for this?

3 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

All of them

Hide contents

qMQmYTd.png5lQfJUf.png

then will you tell me which ones i am missing, i will upload a folder of my game on google drive. later though

edit: i have the link to the folder now, here it is.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YNLK4elzGNxlWdhm7CakYUlOgtGTvwD1?usp=drive_link

Edited by Jebs Piloting Skills