"Great American Eclipse" II: April 8 2024

I expect 2026 in Spain will be quite short because it's close to sunset. 2027 across the Sahara will be great because it's going to be clear and it's a long eclipse, but that also means it will be expensive, because reasons. Not sure about 2028. It passes through arid parts of Australia, but it happens in the Austral winter. 

I think after this one, I am going to have to wait until 2044 and 2045 (hopefully we all stay healthy until at least then). 2045 will be the same saros series as the Sahara eclipse in 2027, will sweep across the US much like the 2017 one, and it will be in mid August. 

1 hour ago, tater said:

Already thinking about alternatives cause of crap weather

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list-total-solar.html

2026, Spain. 2027. Southern Spain/Northern Morocco. 2028 Australia. All are doable, all in summer, too (here, anyway, winter July in Oz).

Ya, I'm looking at going to Spain in 2026

The eclipse here is gonna peak right around my solar system astronomy class, as if it couldn't be more of a perfect time to have one. We'll be spending class time looking at the eclipse. Just hope the weather will be nice by then!

I strongly suggest that you map out 'overland' bypass routes around major interchanges.  Freeway / highway interchanges regularly get clogged on the way home. 

If you can get a mile or two from the highway on farm roads or local state highway routes you can save a lot of time!

(Map App routes are often quite bad at offering good alternatives!) 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I strongly suggest that you map out 'overland' bypass routes around major interchanges.  Freeway / highway interchanges regularly get clogged on the way home. 

If you can get a mile or two from the highway on farm roads or local state highway routes you can save a lot of time!

(Map App routes are often quite bad at offering good alternatives!) 

When on the road professionally, Google Maps was highly reliable finding faster routes dynamically taking accidents and traffic into account, with the caveat that Maps doesn't account for truck routes, weight limits, hazmat, etc.  But for passenger vehicles it should be golden

36 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

On my way to Texas…but the forecast looks poor.

Son and I are leaving soon. Plan is to stay in OKC I think, then make a decision from there. 3 hours to path in an arc from S to E. Can get up early and head where weather looks favorable.

Will be funny if we stay at some regular motel place. The one time we did when the kids were little, a tiny voice from the back seat said as I pulled up in front and my wife ran in to get a room, "Where's the guy who takes the car?"

Yeah, not that kind of hotel... Honestly, the most expensive place in OKC is cheap as dirt, like $188 for a regular room, can probably get a suite for what we usually pay for a normal room, lol.

Actually, the most expensive room with 2 beds is 188/193, so yeah, that's the upper limit unless we drive on to AR—then I can pay nearly $400 for a room that a week ago was under 100.

Sky11_southplains.png

AR looking like a decent choice.

Edited by tater

35 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

On my way to Texas…but the forecast looks poor.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Son and I are leaving soon. Plan is to stay in OKC I think, then make a decision from there. 3 hours to path in an arc from S to E. Can get up early and head where weather looks favorable.

That little corner where the centerline clips Oklahoma seems to be promising right now on the European and Canadian models on cleardarksky.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

That little corner where the centerline clips Oklahoma seems to be promising right now on the European and Canadian models on cleardarksky.

Can make a final decision when we get to OKC. Have dinner, and either stay there, or drive towards that SE corner and try to find a place to stay. Prices are jacked... but I figure I thought about flying to the NE, so anything less than a couple grand in hotel cost for a night is savings, lol.

Just now, tater said:

Can make a final decision when we get to OKC. Have dinner, and either stay there, or drive towards that SE corner and try to find a place to stay. Prices are jacked... but I figure I thought about flying to the NE, so anything less than a couple grand in hotel cost for a night is savings, lol.

It's cheaper than actually flying to the Moon!