Can ELON MUSK buy the LP and finish the game?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Falcon 9 worked well because there's enough regulations in the space industry that Elon can't make dumb ideas happen like Cybertruck

Everything's a "dumb" idea until one dumb idea succeeds. Like re-usable rockets was called dumb by everyone. Elon isn't the devil, he's not a saint, either. He's not a genius but neither is he dumb. You don't get to be one of the world's richest men by being dumb.

Did you know when the first railway was made they put fencing/boarding up either side of it, because they believed anything going faster than 30mphs would squish your brains inside your skull and the first person using a train would die? They didn't want the public to see that "dumb" idea.

Edited by Stevie_D
typo

2 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

Everything's a "dumb" idea until one dumb idea succeeds. Like re-usable rockets was called dumb by everyone. Elon isn't the devil, he's not a saint, either. He's not a genius but neither is he dumb. You don't get to be one of the world's richest men by being dumb.

No, you get to be one of the world's richest men by inheriting an emerald mine. Being dumb is just an accessory.

3 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

Did you know when the first railway was made, they put fencing up either side of it, because they believed anything going faster than 30mphs would squish your brains inside your skull and the first person using a train would die? They didn't want the public to see that "dumb" idea.

It's ignorant to try and claim the train and the Cybertruck are anything alike. The former is a revolutionary mode of transport that techbros keep trying to reinvent, the latter is a car aimed at idiots going through their midlife crisis.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Falcon 9 worked well because there's enough regulations in the space industry that Elon can't make dumb ideas happen like Cybertruck - 100% of the achievements made by F9 and Starship are down to the workers at SpaceX.

Cybertruck and Twitter are an unfiltered look at how smart he actually is - or how smart he isn't. If he tried his hand at making a video game, expect delays and underdelivery on a bigger scale than KSP 2. But he's probably too busy winging about minorities and pretending to care about free speech to focus on finding developers to bother.

The bed next to the desk and no weekends until you accomplish your goals. How much do I bet you manage to get the product out on time? 

And believe it or not, there are people who would work like that for him. Many from NASA and Blue Origin went on to the South African's staff.  And they live next door to SpaceX's workshops.

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:23 AM, LameLefty said:

Fact check from someone with tight ties to the space industry: SpaceX’s success is not due to Musk. He made TWO incredibly important hires early on.

[Snip]  You can't even admit that he's actually good at what he does so you say he got other people to do it for him. YES!!!! That's what good managers do! Additionally he is a damn good engineer. Go look it up. If you want to take the man down a peg or two, you can't be using strawmen arguments. Don't be ignorant. This is a place with smart people, and you cannot beat knowledge with ignorance.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:26 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah, just a hop, skip and a jackpot inheritance.

Y'know, you can inherit an emerald mine and also be able to come up with ideas. Nowhere did I say anything about the man's privilege; I was pointing out his intellect.

22 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Why do I think he should buy it out, because I think Kerbal Space Program represents more than just a game

I see what you are getting at, but Elon likes revolutions. For instance, I bet none of you looked into my hints about Starlink upthread. Go look up the X phone...comes starlink capable standard. Terrestrial cell phones will be obslolete very soon. He can undercut the prices easily.
Given this mindset, If he wants to endeavour to have a KSP like game as a recruiting tool, he would make it be a mic drop on KSP2, rather than saving it from failure.

20 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

You can tell he's doing something right - the left call him an alt-right bigot and the right call him an insane libertarian. Considering in this current political climate both sides are as barking mad as each other right now, that probably makes him ...an average human being.  :lol:

Finally a sane person! He's like the real life South Park. Liquids everyone off equally, lol.

18 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

If he tried his hand at making a video game, expect delays and underdelivery on a bigger scale than KSP 2.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/9/8752333/elon-musk-blastar-pc-game

Also, just like he delayed and underdelivered Falcon 9, right?

[Snip]

18 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

No, you get to be one of the world's richest men by inheriting an emerald mine. Being dumb is just an accessory.

[Snip] Being born into wealth has nothing to do with what you use it for. You treat him like he's a Kardashian! If all he did was run an emerald mine to gain his wealth, why aren't the second and third richest men also running mines since its clearly so lucrative?

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

12 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Finally a sane person! He's like the real life South Park

As in, his main audience is edgy teenagers whose entire personality revolves around centrism?

13 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Also, just like he delayed and underdelivered Falcon 9, right?

That achievement belongs to the engineers and scientists working at SpaceX 

Posted (edited)

[Snip]

16 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

That achievement belongs to the engineers and scientists working at SpaceX 

Show me where he said "Falcon 9 was all me and these hundreds of people standing with me were all fetching me coffee while I scienced the excrements out of this rocket!"

[Snip]

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Falcon 9 worked well because there's enough regulations in the space industry that Elon can't make dumb ideas happen like Cybertruck - 100% of the achievements made by F9 and Starship are down to the workers at SpaceX.

Cybertruck and Twitter are an unfiltered look at how smart he actually is - or how smart he isn't. If he tried his hand at making a video game, expect delays and underdelivery on a bigger scale than KSP 2. But he's probably too busy winging about minorities and pretending to care about free speech to focus on finding developers to bother.

Patch 1 after 6 months of Musk development: Removing anything even hinting at female Kerbals. Re-introduced noodle rockets.

Edited by Jarin

Just now, Jarin said:

Patch 1 after 6 months of Musk development: Removing anything even hinting at female Kerbals. Re-introduced noodle rockets.

Patch 2: deletes landing legs

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

You can tell he's doing something right - the left call him an alt-right bigot and the right call him an insane libertarian. Considering in this current political climate both sides are as barking mad as each other right now, that probably makes him ...an average human being.  :lol:

The right love him, dude

5 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

You don't get to be one of the world's richest men by being dumb.

Yeah, you do it by inheriting wealth made from apartheid and then buying up already good companies, taking credit for their success, and then becoming incredibly divorced and uncool

Edited by whatsEJstandfor

On 5/2/2024 at 4:38 AM, RaBDawG said:

Serious Question.  I bet he would.  Can we ask him on Twitter?  He is a huge fan of KSP1.

I'd rather see the game die than getting butchered by Elon. Fan or not, I seriously doubt his skills would help create a fun game. And he'd torture people (developers and other workers) along the way, like he always does.

"Could he?" If he theoretically forked up enough money to make it worth T2s time, yes.

Realistically no, Elon has a real life rocket company and while I don't think he is enjoying seeing ksp2 founder why would he when he has real life rockets?

A Better scenario would be NASA/JAXA/ESA and Perhaps ULA And SpaceX seeing potential to create future engineers/allow more space inspiration and them either buying it and working on it together or agreeing to fund the development instead of T2. No Idea how any of this works though IMO

Posted (edited)

I suppose the only real logic you can throw at this argument is...

... if he's willing to chuck money at Gina Carano to fund her court case against Disney for [snip] giggles,... then he's SURELY gotta love KSP more than Gina Carano. :D

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

7 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Yeah, you do it by inheriting wealth made from apartheid and then buying up already good companies, taking credit for their success, and then becoming incredibly divorced and uncool

He's the most divorced man there ever was and will be

Are we still on this?

The worst possible thing that could happen is for the franchise or IP to be sold to someone who has zero experience with gaming, game development, spaceflight, orbital mechanics...all of it.  I get that the original was created by an amateur who had a major passion.  But that's the whole thing here:  passion.  Which I seriously doubt Elon would have for taking on a large project like this just to create a game.  Even if he used his money to buy a studio and populate it with coders, do we really want that to happen when there would be as little direction there as we got with TT?

Just no.  Stop the insanity.  Please.  If TT is going to sell this to someone else, I sincerely hope it's someone already in the gaming industry who has a passion for creating good games and wants this to succeed instead of someone who would be buying it simply for the notch in his belt.

Lots of content removed. Please post your opinions without invoking politics or using personal attacks as we wish to keep the forum a friendly and welcoming place for everybody. 

Posted (edited)

My apologies. I got a bit carried away.

My overall point is that having blind hatred for someone is never good because it impairs your judgement of them. By the same token, I'm sure some people will tell me that the opposite is true, and fair is fair. I do find it quite funny how easily he gets under lots of people's skin with seemingly zero effort. It seems to me that lots of people are walking around just waiting to be irked by him. I very much dislike Jeff Bezos, but when I read about him or Amazon or something, I don't get worked up; I can't do anything about it.

I get emotions are high with KSP2 being cancelled and all, but at the end of the day, all this hate on Elon got none of you anywhere.

Edited by Meecrob

22 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

No, because in the first day he’d ask everyone bring proof of what they did in the last months and would end up firing everyone. 

jokes aside, he can, but he won’t. 

despite the fact that this is what t2 did, would this really be a bad thing if dev continued at the same pace?

On 5/2/2024 at 12:38 PM, RaBDawG said:

Serious Question.  I bet he would.  Can we ask him on Twitter?  He is a huge fan of KSP1.

The best thing we can hope for now is they hand the project over to Gearbox.

Maybe Randy Pitchford is up to the task of finishing the game. 
I highly doubt that’s the plan but it’s the only hope we realistically have. 

8 hours ago, Meecrob said:

I do find it quite funny how easily he gets under lots of people's skin

Being a wealthy anti-vax bigot is bad, actually. Let me be the first to welcome you to the 21st century :)

7 hours ago, turnerjack698 said:

despite the fact that this is what t2 did, would this really be a bad thing if dev continued at the same pace?

My concern lies not with pace but with the current direction, a pretty but dumbed down KSP1.

6 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

dumbed down KSP1

Precisely!

13 hours ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Randy Pitchford

Sorry but Randy effing Pitchford is a soulless greedy monster, lol. Look what he did to Borderlands!

Musk is not a great employer by all accounts. I wouldn't wish that on any dev team.

Like surely we all remember his very dumb takes on software dev when he took over twitter such as evaluating performance of developers based on WPM or allegedly firing people for being disabled or getting rid of both HR and any form of external communications departments.

not to mention that the existing dev team for KSP2 is/was quite diverse and we all know what he thinks about and how he treats minorities under his employ...

2 hours ago, mattihase said:

Musk is not a great employer by all accounts. I wouldn't wish that on any dev team.

Like surely we all remember his very dumb takes on software dev when he took over twitter such as evaluating performance of developers based on WPM or allegedly firing people for being disabled or getting rid of both HR and any form of external communications departments.

not to mention that the existing dev team for KSP2 is/was quite diverse and we all know what he thinks about and how he treats minorities under his employ...

I want nothing more than to work on a software project that is not bogged down by bureaucracy, overemployment, and HR nonsense. Many serious people feel the same. That's why he did all of that so loudly and publicly- many quality employees appreciate that and I understand that many applied for jobs.

It's a common phenomena in the software startup industry for good engineers/project leaders to bounce around from startup to startup, because they enjoy the work until the company hits it big and everything becomes an HR bureaucratic slog.

Employers that reward work ethic and merit ARE "good employers" if you enjoy working hard at something your're good at.

10 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Being a wealthy anti-vax bigot is bad, actually. Let me be the first to welcome you to the 21st century :)

Perhaps one day soon we will live in a world where people don't just say "bigot" to make all their problems go away...

And I'm not even an Elon fan. I just can't help but roll my eyes at his staunch defenders and committed detractors alike.

47 minutes ago, VlonaldKerman said:

Perhaps one day soon we will live in a world where people don't just say "bigot" to make all their problems go away...

You'd rather not live in a world where systematic misogyny was tackled and women were allowed to vote? Tough :)

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You'd rather not live in a world where systematic misogyny was tackled and women were allowed to vote? Tough :)

I rest my case :joy: