PSA: Update your CKAN clients to 1.34!

JonnyOThan

When Spacedock went down recently, the CKAN team updated the metadata for all mods that are hosted on Spacedock and Github to be able to download from either one.  This will provide resiliency in case one of those services is not available.

Supporting multiple download hosts was a new feature in CKAN 1.34.  If you have an older client, it will not consume the newer metadata and will end up downloading the second-newest version off Spacedock.  I'm going to investigate some ways to prompt people to update their CKAN clients, but in the meantime please make sure you are using 1.34 or later (the current version is 1.34.4): https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/latest

Additional details:

If you're a CKAN user and you want to swap the order globally, go Settings -> Preferred Hosts.

If you're a mod author and want more control over this, you can:

• Send a PR to update your metadata.  The download hosts are listed in order of preference in the .netkan file, so if you want to make Spacedock the first choice then just swap the order. 
  • To opt out of dual hosting, remove one of the entries. 
  • You can file an issue in the netkan repo or get in touch with the CKAN team in any of the usual places and we can do it for you.

Note that for dual hosting to work, the release artifacts on all hosts must be identical.

Edited by JonnyOThan

4 minutes ago, Lisias said:

How I prevent CKAN from downloading from github?

59 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Or to opt out of dual hosting, remove one of the entries.

May I ask why, though?  If you only have one host in the CKAN metadata and that site goes down, users will not be able to download your mod.

Edited by JonnyOThan

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

please send a PR to update your metadata.

For example: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/blob/master/NetKAN/TweakScale.netkan

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Or you can file an issue in the netkan repo or get in touch with the CKAN team in any of the usual places and we can do it for you.

6 minutes ago, SofieBrink said:

Why would you want that?

Because this is screwing my pipeline. The packages distributed on GITHUB are meant for early adopters that wish to help me smoketest the damned thing before it reaches the masses, and to myself be able to easily deploy the thing on my test machines without needing to configure yet another repository.

13 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

May I ask why, though?  If you only have one host in the CKAN metadata and that site goes down, users will not be able to download your mod.

GITHUB releases are not meant to be CKAN safe, only what I deploy on SpaceDock is meant to be used on CKAN. I will enforce this on my next releases.

In time, what happened with https://archive.org/details/kspckanmods ?

CKAN wasn't supposed to rely on it?

Edited by Lisias
Whoops...

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

Because you are screwing my pipeline. The packages distributed on GITHUB are meant for early adopters that wish to help me smoketest the damned thing befire it reaches the masses, and to myself be able to easily deploy the thing on my test machines without needing to configure yet another repository.

Seems reasonable - I'll note that mods where the github and spacedock release artifacts were not identical were not updated with dual hosting.  I'll also note that CKAN does not index github releases that are marked with the pre-release flag - that might be a better option for you?  I use it a lot to do what you're describing.

3 minutes ago, Lisias said:

In time, what happened with https://archive.org/details/kspckanmods ?

Only mods that have permissive redistribution licenses can be uploaded there.  With dual hosting on spacedock and github, the mod author still has full control over all distribution (because they're free to delete those releases at any time).

2 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Seems reasonable - I'll note that mods where the github and spacedock release artifacts were not identical were not updated with dual hosting.  I'll also note that CKAN does not index github releases that are marked with the pre-release flag - that might be a better option for you?  I use it a lot to do what you're describing.

I do gradual deployments.

1. GITHUB for the reasons I already explained
  2. CurseForge for users still there, and this helps me to iron out eventual mishaps that I may let pass trough.
  3. Finally, if no one complains until the moment, I publish on SpaceDock to be available to CKAN users.

Very rarely I publish everything at once - usually hot fixes.

This helps me control the deployment on the wild, preventing a tsunami of support tickets by wetting my feet first on smaller userbases.

6 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Only mods that have permissive redistribution licenses can be uploaded there.  With dual hosting on spacedock and github, the mod author still has full control over all distribution (because they're free to delete those releases at any time).

Well, essentially all what I publish are there, so I don't really need (neither desire) using github for this,

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

I do gradual deployments.

1. GITHUB for the reasons I already explained
  2. CurseForge for users still there, and this helps me to iron out eventual mishaps that I may let pass trough.
  3. Finally, if no one complains until the moment, I publish on SpaceDock to be available to CKAN users.

Very rarely I publish everything at once - usually hot fixes.

This helps me control the deployment on the wild, preventing a tsunami of support tickets by wetting my feet first on smaller userbases.

You'll be fine, then. Nothing gets added to CKAN until all the hosts are updated with the same identical ZIP file.